24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2013 6:04 PM by dayoldtamales RSS

Sooo... years later this is still unresolved?

dayoldtamales

Yeah, you probably wouldn't expect this to appear. Seems like a trivial topic but still worthy of bringing up...

I rather enjoy the ACOG Sight. I have for years. Especially on single-shot rifles. Anyway, I loved that IW and Treyarch decided to completely eliminate sway on the ACOG... except on snipers. It still has a large amount of sway on sniper rifles, and in this game it has more sway than I've ever seen. More than any other title. Why?

I love using ACOG, but to be honest there is ZERO benefit to the attachment even being available for snipers. The accuracy is so unbelievably terrible that there are no pros to outweigh the cons. Sure, for the first time the bullet actually hits the spot that the reticle is floating over, instead of a random point inside the scope, which has never happened until now, but the sway is so uncontrollable that I constantly find myself getting killed first in a firefight because I have to wait for the completely at-random sway to DECIDE to center on an enemy. This is especially painful across even medium distances.

I get this. It is to balance out the snipers so that a pinpoint accurate sight combined with crystal clear peripheral vision and a one-shot kill rifle won't be an overpowering combination, but still, the sight is practically useless at even medium range. There isn't even an ability to hold your breath to steady it. Couldn't we have at least had that ability? It wouldn't be too bad. Even if the sight was, by default, completely pinpoint accurate and have zero sway across all weapons, it wouldn't be that bad. There is also no sway at all on a thermal sight if used on any other weapon besides snipers, but on snipers you can hold your breath. Why not ACOG? I mean seriously? That was a suggestion by the way...

...I know it is probably a long shot. I'm just one guy in a world of people. Why would anyone listen to me? But here is my plea. It wouldn't be too hard to patch the sight so that it was permanently steadied, or had the option to steady by holding breath. It would be a great fix because using the ACOG on a sniper rifle isn't even worth it.

And in my opinion I don't see anything wrong with this suggestion. If anyone replies by saying that the ACOG on sniper rifles is okay and doesn't need any help, I'll be stunned.

Also, a little unrelated side note, I ran into a lobby today full of guys that were invisible and using miniguns. Then a few games later I ran into a Domination lobby with no ending score and the game was running in slow-motion along with the map being dark and orange. It was like the game was frozen in the kind of slow-motion that a MOAB brings before detonation, but it was a constant slow-mo. It was on Stonehaven too so trying to get anywhere was painfully slow.

• Re: Sooo... years later this is still unresolved?
            dayoldtamales

You do realize that even that doesn't completely solve the issue right. Snipers still sway with ACOG. Other weapons don't. Also for some reason all ACOG'd weapons seem to sway a LOT more when using lean.

Focus doesn't really help.

rankismet

dayoldtamales wrote:

You do realize that even that doesn't completely solve the issue right. Snipers still sway with ACOG. Other weapons don't. Also for some reason all ACOG'd weapons seem to sway a LOT more when using lean.

Focus doesn't really help.

And why do you think that is?

Pretty obvious, isn't it?

dayoldtamales

Actually no it isn't obvious. Tell me. Tell me why standard and thermal have the ability to hold breath and ACOG doesn't. Isn't really fair when an LMG with thermal can destroy a player a lot easier than a sniper with thermal.

It wouldn't be overpowered the least bit to allow a hold breath function.

Yes I have laid down. No real noticeable change. I'm talking about a simple to understand concept. Anything using ACOG has almost no sway. Like the RDS. Except for snipers. They get a ton of sway. And for a generally slower firing weapon. Why? I don't quickscope. I've been around since CoD4 I'm not one of those recent kids who doesn't know the true way to snipe. I can't even snipe the true way with ACOG snipers because the reticle is so out of focus. It's like the soldier is drunk.

And about the realism, that argument holds no weight when you can hold breath with the other scopes but not ACOG. This game is the farthest thing from realistic.

Have you tried lying down as opposed to standing / peering / running and QS'ing with it? I find that even without Focus equipped, the sway is minimal on the L115 so long as I am lying down......there is still a tiny bit of sway - but nothing out of the ordinary

r33k

it is the rifle, not the scope that produces the sway. an AR is a smaller and usually lighter weapon. therefor it can be held up to the face with less strain. where as a sniper rifle is usually larger and heavier. thus creating more strain and more sway becomes present. this is how real life mechanics work.

if you end up in a firefight while using a sniper rifle, your life expectancy won't be very good. VKS is perhaps an exception since it fires faster. As far as ACOG is concerned, like r33k said, it will be due to the increased weight of a sniper rifle. There is always more sway if you are standing than while prone for example. Removing sway while giving a closer range scope for a OHK weapon would be far too powerful. That is exactly the reason why iron sight Ballista was so inaccurate In BO2.

SitRepPro

E7XTerminator wrote:

if you end up in a firefight while using a sniper rifle, your life expectancy won't be very good. VKS is perhaps an exception since it fires faster. As far as ACOG is concerned, like r33k said, it will be due to the increased weight of a sniper rifle. There is always more sway if you are standing than while prone for example. Removing sway while giving a closer range scope for a OHK weapon would be far too powerful. That is exactly the reason why iron sight Ballista was so inaccurate In BO2.

True but then perhaps an ACOG'd sniper rifle should ADS quicker then.  The iron sights decreased ADS time on the Ballista if only by 15%.  It was fun picking off DSR users at range with it though.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

dayoldtamales wrote:

Also, a little unrelated side note, I ran into a lobby today full of guys that were invisible and using miniguns. Then a few games later I ran into a Domination lobby with no ending score and the game was running in slow-motion along with the map being dark and orange. It was like the game was frozen in the kind of slow-motion that a MOAB brings before detonation, but it was a constant slow-mo. It was on Stonehaven too so trying to get anywhere was painfully slow.

Yeh seems to be lots of that going around.  Be sure to get outta the lobby right away lest you're suspected of wrongdoing. 

Stop complaining if anything the snipers need more sway and flinch and less sticky aim cause they are too easy to use and no I am not bashing on quickscoping I just want the 1 to 2 shot kill weapons to take skill again. I have no problem with the Acog I get lots of kills with it on my snipers.

Bielsalmighty

OP, you really want to take away sway on an OHK cannon? HORRIBLE idea.

TourettesGuy03

Why is it that in every CoD, snipers have claimed theyre either underpowered or some other crap like this, from every direction you could imagine, when theyre almost always the most OP gun in the game?

Fair? You sway more than an LMG or AR with an ACOG? I suppose you deserve your OHK and no sway. Suck it up. You want the perks of a sniper rifles, you suffer the downsides. Do you want free kills?

This is coming from somebody who snipes. I'm just damn sick of all the whiners in the sniper community.

Using an ACOG on a sniper rifle would never be worth it? Have you used them on an AR IRL? They suck. Do you know what eye relief is? Don't beg without understanding. There's a reason why some things are designed how they are.

Years later it's plenty resolved, you people just don't want to accept it.

dayoldtamales

Kid, WHO is whining? Realism is out the window with this game. Stop arguing back with that. Assault Rifles and LMGs kill faster and easier than snipers in this game. Almost every time. Therefore why is their ACOG better? Each weapon is better in certain situations, and snipers are the most powerful far less often, because nearly every map is cramped and close-quarters. So why do snipers get the inaccurate ACOG.

Shut up with that realism card. It's honestly really annoying. This isn't Afghanistan and we aren't grunts running around fighting actual terrorists. It is a game. Games are supposed to be balanced. Put an ACOG sniper against an ACOG AR at long range and the AR will win. Shouldn't the sniper win? Wouldn't the sniper win in a REAL scenario? Another thing that would happen in a REAL scenario, wouldn't a USR with a six-round clip weigh FAR less than an LSAT that is lugging around a huge ammo box full of 100 MG rounds? Yeah, so why does the MG get less sway again? Now bring in the realism card.