47 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2013 1:43 AM by Adam1234567893 RSS

What causes you to back out of a lobby?

TheBeastlyDude

Over the past few days, I have not play COD Ghosts. I took the time off due to some childish drama I've experienced in the game amongst friends and it has nothing to do with the game. On past CODs, we always prided ourselves on never backing out of a lobby, no matter who we were facing, their tactics used or any other factor that might play a part in the reasoning behind backing out.

With this game, I found we were backing out here and there and it got under my skin. One of the reasons being that we backed out is while playing Clan Wars, it was easier to get wins verse randoms than it is usually to get verse a clan. Another reason is that we could look at leaderboards and it became fairly apparent that there were "All Perks" players in the lobby.

I've had to remind my friends that just because we are facing a clan, it by no means, means that they are any good at the game. And while those who are using all perks might, at times, be a tougher kill, they are generally not very good either, hence why they feel they need to cheat.

Personally, I find it unacceptable to leave any lobby unless extraordinary circumstances warrant it. You should welcome the challenge and test your might verses anyone you come up to facing. Running away from a challenge is robbing yourself of a lesson in which you could learn something new.

But of course, as you can see, I am quite strict in how I like to play. Take the challenge and do the best you can. I enjoy good challenges however, I am extremely close minded behind what else may be good reasons to back out of a lobby, again, minus extraordinary circumstances. Am I insane, a glutton for punishment or am I normal in thinking this way? What are other reasons to back out of a lobby?

• Re: What causes you to back out of a lobby?
          theraven.

I don't like to back out but if i do its because the games running out of sync and you get insta deaths or i spawn 5 times in a row and die makes it unplayable for me

TheBeastlyDude

Out of sync: That's understandable and use to happen to me on BO2 quite often. I'll accept that one.

Spawnkilled: I think the most it ever happened to me was 3x in a row. It was extremely frustrating however, once I got out of that rut, I came back and still put good numbers down. I personally, do not find this to be an acceptable reason because the game last about 10 minutes and being spawnkilled multiple times in a row doesn't happen throughout the whole game.

Instakilled: I really don't have an opinion on this because it has never happened to me nor have I heard from friends I play with happening to them, at least on this game. If it does happen, I have a feeling it has to do with the connection. I am guessing you are not located in USA?

Thank you for your respectful answer and not turning it into a complaint reply.

I only back out when something seems wrong with the lobby; i.e. cheaters. Or I back out when a friend sends me an invite or something comes up that I have to leave the game.

TheBeastlyDude

A friend invite: Yeah if it's not too far into the game, definitely.

Cheaters: Like I said, just because they are cheating, it doesn't make them good. A few times that me and my friends played against the "all perk" cheaters, we were able to run roughshot over them, causing them to quit midgame. And then afterwards, I love pointing out that even with all the perks, they're still garbage players. Then they back out with their tail between their legs. Don't be afraid of them. They had to cheat for a reason and most of the time, the reason is that they are not very good in the first place. Make sure to report them too. It's no reason to back out until you faced them at least once. 

gotsomestars

So far in ghosts I've not backed out a single time. If I'm going to lose I'm going to take my licks like a man. I am 99% solo player so I have gotten used to/accepted the fact that I'm going to lose, a lot in objective modes. Its a good time to try out new things. However I've been playing more bf4 than ghosts now that its not crashing 20 times an hour.

Schoat333

I prefer not to play against clans with the yellow clan tags as they have clearly been working together for a while, and will probably be good. With that said, I do not back out of a lobby as soon as I see them. I will play at least one game and see how it goes. If its really bad for me, I'll back out of the lobby after the game is over.

TheBeastlyDude

This! You should always play them at least once and take the challenge. This is a great way to learn. You have a good head on your shoulder. Much like GotSomeStars, if more players were like you, this game would be a different beast.

Ungrateful_Dead

BeastlyDude,

When playing with friends, we love the challenge of beating another clan (and making them back out of the lobby!).  Even in clan wars - that should be more of a measuring stick than wins against random noobs.  Like Schoat333, even solo I have taken clans on and found that with at least one other decent player on your team, you can often give them a good run.  Even if your team gets whipped, I take it as a personal challenge to do well against them.  Sometimes you can even make them back out...like last night. 

However, I will not beat my head against the wall and stay in a lobby where after one game you know there is zero chance of ever being competitive with the other party.

TheBeastlyDude

That's completely understandable. I find it so annoying that I can't wear my clan tag in lobby without 80% of the people who join the lobby just back out. Like you said, if try one game, you may find you can make a pretty good run at it. However, if you just get slammed, you shouldn't stay. It's so good to see there are players like this out there still.

Izjar11

Schoat333 wrote:

I prefer not to play against clans with the yellow clan tags as they have clearly been working together for a while, and will probably be good. With that said, I do not back out of a lobby as soon as I see them. I will play at least one game and see how it goes. If its really bad for me, I'll back out of the lobby after the game is over.

Your absolute right, clans work and play better but going against them will teach you things and should make you a better player. I played against a VERY good group last night in TDM. they were all 2.0 + KD's high scores, high assists, they were good. I had a blast combating them, and besting them as much as I could. I would lose the match but I gained the learning experience from solid players. This cannot be taught by lesser easy players.

Alky6

Schoat333 wrote:

I prefer not to play against clans with the yellow clan tags as they have clearly been working together for a while, and will probably be good.

I back out when I see 5 or 6 yellow clan tags. It usually means they've been playing together and are tactfully using their comms. I like playing Ghosts, but don't enjoy being pub-stomped.

I will also back out of a match if I'm overwhelmed with 5 or 6 deaths and no kills within a couple of minutes. I know I'm just wasting my time there.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I don't know.  I find it an opportunity for a good challenge when I see 5 or 6 guys in a clan.

It's true, though.  It's not easy to fight the temptation to leave after losing to a full party, especially if you have two sets of clueless screeners losing you the game before it even starts.

Yesterday I came across a 5 man, trash talkin' clan.  I stayed and played.  Luckily, I had a few decent randoms on my team and we were able to be competitive.  Sometimes there develops a who's going to leave the lobby first kind of "chicken."  We played about 5 games and they won three, but losing the last two. 

Guess who backed out?  Hehe. 

I don't think you're insane for not wanting to back out. Some people just like the challenge of going against people who are obviously cheating or a lobby full of guys with high k/d's or a full clan. It's a test of your skills and your ability to adapt to the situation. I would venture to guess that they're probably the same type of people who like to challenge themselves by using the weaker or less popular weapons too. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

The only reasons I typically back out of a game are if I get an invite, if I have to deal with something on the homefront (wife, kids, etc.) or if I seem to be "out of sync" as someone above said. Other than that I usually stick it out even if I'm getting my butt kicked.

TheBeastlyDude

Thanks for your answer. I am, by no means, very good at this game. Right now, I am sporting a 1.02 KDR but over a 4.xx W/L ratio. But I enjoy a good challenge and it's shocking to me that more players are not like that. After the crap I had to hear over the last week, it's really nice to know there are players out there who still have a backbone.

WolfRidge

I don't back out of lobbies mid game, if we're in the lobby waiting it's either obnoxious ass hats or young kids shouting their mouths off, with that said the mute all permanently is a God sent!

phxs72

It all has to do with why you play the game.  If a challenge is what you seek then your position makes perfect sense.  I too enjoy a challenge and I don't have an issue taking on clans.  I will, however, back out of the lobby if it's just me and a six man clan hanging out there.  It's not the fear of a challenge but rather the desire to not spend 5 to 10 minutes sitting in a lobby waiting for enough brave souls to join so that the match can start.  I play the game to actually play the game.  My kids like playing infected because they find some weird satisfaction by hiding in some obscure corner somewhere and staring at a blade of grass until the time runs out.  I don't understand it at all and would rather watch paint dry than do this but for some reason that I'll never understand it's a thrill for them.  But back to your original question, what makes me back out of a game?  Frustration would be it.  If I let myself get too frustrated to continue then I'll back out and turn it off until I'm in a better mood.  I don't normally get that frustrated but on occasion it happens.

TheBeastlyDude

Well thought out answer. Much like yourself, once I get frustrated, I turn the game off, much like I did for the past 5 days. I think you hit the nail on the head by asking why people play the game in the first place. You've given me a lot to think about, just with the simple question. Thank you so much!

Highwayman0226

I could probably count the times I've left a match mid game on one hand (BO2 I'd need my hands, feet and an abacus).

I live in Western Pennsylvania, if I hear people speaking a different language, I generally leave the lobby.  If I see "PR" in a clan tag or a name, I generally leave.  If I hear rap music blasting and kids yelling, I generally leave.

I don't mind playing against clans, but I'll back out on occasion if I'm trying to work a goofy operation or I'm just not in the mood for a tough match (yellow clan tags, all high prestige).  Nothing wrong with a challenge, but sometimes you don't feel like working your butt off just to go positive.

sennalike

I will back out when I come across cheaters. Not to protect my stats or anything, but because by staying I feel I am condoning what they have done / are doing.

TheBeastlyDude

I get it but disagree that it's condoning what they did. Personally, I feel that if I stay in and hand them their face on a silver platter despite them having all perks, I just end up making them look foolish and stupid. After all, they only did it to make themselves look good when in actuality, they usually are not. If they couldn't beat me and my low K/D with all perks, I get to smash what little self-esteem they have left and put them on blast so that everyone else can laugh at them.

To me, that is the worse thing I can do to those little cheaters. I do, however, respect your opinion. I hope you read my reply and at least consider trying to do what I try to do because I believe that is the best way to discourage cheating.

sennalike

I respect your opinion, but I think we will have to agree to disagree. Your way may make them think again and feel bad about themselves. My way too may make them think twice, if nobody plays against them they will have no choice but to realise what they did was pointless. I understand your point about the 'challenge'. I too want a challenge but one on fair terms.

TheBeastlyDude

sennalike wrote:

I respect your opinion, but I think we will have to agree to disagree. Your way may make them think again and feel bad about themselves. My way too may make them think twice, if nobody plays against them they will have no choice but to realise what they did was pointless. I understand your point about the 'challenge'. I too want a challenge but one on fair terms.

Actually, if nobody plays against them, you are correct 1000x. If there was a way to get the community together on this and always back out, this is the perfect plan. In fact, you given me a great idea to troll them. If I am in a room with 6, when the clock hits 2 seconds, back out, so that way the hackers have to wait in the lobby some more.

Thank you for being mature with your response. Big fan of yours and hope some day to get your autograph. :-P

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

If you like your own stats.  It's very satisfying to know that the stats are as pure as can be because you play anyone and everyone, good and bad, rusher or camper, clans or randoms, in good maps or bad maps; beating good players and losing to bad ones, lag or no lag, etc., etc., etc.

TheBeastlyDude

I never even thought about it. I suppose if more players played for pure stats, the number of players with a high K/D ratio would probably be a lot lower. Thank you for your input. This thread turned out better than I hoped with a large variety of opinions and inputs into the psychological mind of a COD player.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

Thanks you as well for the good topic.

There are so many more positives in staying in a lobby.  You avoid being dropped in the middle of matches; your risk of playing the same maps decreases (this is why I argue that all maps should cycle through at least once before one is repeated in a lobby); you became more familiar with the lobby members (most do stay until they turn the game off); you get those revenge seekers that keep coming back for more, game after game; if you come across good players that also don't leave lobbies, you get very competitive games game after game (this is really what's fun.) 

TheBeastlyDude

This tends to be the reasons I like stay also. You never know what may happen.

One of the things that is funny is my clan doesn't openly recruit people however, if we play against someone who plays like this, usually, they'll get an invite from us and we build in that way. To me, its the best recruiting tool because its best to get like minded players with you verses issuing an open invitation to anyone on the forum's board.

The more I read the replies on this board for this subject, the more I am getting hope for good games when I play again tonight. I am getting so excited over the possibilities!

Megadog14

Kids, hax0rs, Kinect mics.

The god damn Kinect mics... *stares blankly into the distance*

Generally, if I back out of a lobby, it's mid-game. Due to whatever reason may be making me frustrated at that moment.

If I get into a lobby with a clan, and I'm in a party of 3-6. I'll play them, but if I'm solo or duo, I'll leave. I do it not because "Oh, I'm afraid that without a team, they'll stomp me" To me, I don't feel like playing with people have little to no tactical skill, and lack the sense to communicate efficiently. While not everyone is like this, the majority of people that I end up getting randomed with have that deficiency or lack a microphone.

Occasionally I'll back out of a lobby if I'm doing terrible, say 0-5. If I'm not getting a kill and I'm just dying, it's not worth playing it, weather they're camping, or just have the upper hand on my team, it's not worth it. IW should put in a mercy rule, haha.

It's really dependent on the situation. If you're just backing out and into lobbies for no reason, well, that's just silly.

Yellow clan tags mean nothing, never back out for them. I back out for hackers (hacked prestige symbol) or if the map is bad.

Nope but I will admit I do back out of the lobby quite abit mainly for reason such as:

Facing a clan of 4-5 and only being myself and some randomer in the lobby.(yes this happens)

Play and die repeatedly by just spawning in the wrong place at the wrong time consecutively.

Hackers.

People playing Team deathmatch in Domination.

but even then I rarely back out, competitiveness gets the better of me.

ANWRambo

Number 1 reason people back out of lobbies...

THEY ARE LOSING!

The legit reason why someone would back out of a lobby...

HACKERS in lobby.

That is all.

plastic_bag

I pretty much only back out if other players are extremely annoying on their headsets. ..I play solo as  I'm not that good and don't own a headset. .I like playing against better players because i feel it will help my skills but if everyone is just being obnoxious once the match is over I'll leave the lobby. I'm aware I can mute everybody but still for me I'd just prefer to not play with obnoxious players as it's not within my personality to act in that way.

The only things that make me back out of a pre game lobby are, split screeners in my team and when its a 4 or 5 v 6 situation.

I do tend to back out from the cheaters as I have seen all the perks one, possible aimbot (orange boxes on screen) and even someone just a gun no player! I don't see the point of playing them as if everyone backed out from these people they would not get to play and then hopefully they will go away but I won't hold my breath on it. Due to the amount of times I see cheats and the slower game play which I find boring (or just can't adapt to) I have backed out of Ghost altogether at the moment, maybe I will come back to it later on.

anto2012

if there are cheaters in the game i will back out hate the #######

I never back out i never rage quit games, you need to use it as a chance to get better,  League play taught me that, i started in gold division in league and partied up with friends in masters and i got STOMPED like a piece of trash for a good 2 weeks but, as long as connection\real life issues arent stopping you there is no excuse to leave a lobby your in. Me and the people i play with dont lose often when we play together but when we do lose generally 1 or 2 of them will want to back out and i wont do it and it will usually bring up some salty attitudes through the game, One thing getting stomped for that 2 week period of time taught me was, Im not afraid of a challenge and i know i can hang with the best of them, And if i couldnt id want to stay and learn how to hang

I leave a lobby when someone asks me nicely to leave.