1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 80 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2014 9:36 PM by DWeitl Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Does K/D really matter?
        rainmaker6

I never said the stat was perfect but it is a far better stat than K/D. If you play in a good team exclusively I expect that your stats would be better. I play with my cousin who averages 4 kills per game with a .75 K/D (it's actually getting better since I bought him a headset) and a friend at work who averages 8 kills a game with a 1.29 K/D. We have actually played against partial teams in pubs with 2+ K/D and sometimes we win more than we have lost.

All these 7 plus K/D I have never seen in TDM and if they are legit (no dashing) it reeks of an exclusively team play profile only used in pubs. Even then I don`t see their average kills and haven`t seen it myself. Nor have you by your reference to others "claims". Regardless KDA is a better stat for TDM than K/D and I don`t think that is debatable. And why would anybody want the status quo if there is something that is better.

• 31. Re: Does K/D really matter?
          nuttin2say

You're looking at one stat and trying to mix it with something else in order justify the performance of your team. You need to stop looking at the one stat and start digging into that stat. Your cousin, with 4 kills per TDM match and a 0.75 KDR is probably a pretty strong "camper" waiting to come out of his shell. But because "camping" is a dirty word, he's not comfortable working with what he really enjoys working with.

Your co-worker that has a 1.29 kdr at 8 kills a game is probably comfortable roaming the map a little more than he's "allowed" to do. He's too afraid of a negative KDR so, like your cousin, he's not exploring those things that he's more comfortable doing.

And at 15 kills a match with a 2.09 kdr, you're limiting yourself, as well. You're scoring the 15 kills by hunting down 1v1 engagements. Step out there a little and try to find double kills. Don't look for face to face 2 v 1 situations. Instead, try to get double kills via flanking and coming up from behind them. Of course, that means you'll have to rely a little more on stealth perks that you're probably accustomed to doing. Circle the map instead of holding down large areas. Make frequent stops to get a refreshed feel for what's going on all over the map, not just the area you're covering. Also, stop being a crutch for your cousin and co-worker. They can handle themselves and if you demonstrate a little more faith in them, you'll be surprised how that alone will give them a slight boost in their performances.

• 32. Re: Does K/D really matter?
            nuttin2say

I mostly agree with you here, adw (imagine that!!!)

In the TDM example you provide, by KDR the 12-6 guy is the "better" player, by community standards. But, like you, I say the 20-13 player did more for the win. He's 1 kill into dying too much, and technically, that may not be true anyway. If a TDM wins requires 5 players score 12 kills and one player score 15 kills, the same is true of how many deaths are "allowed." That 13th death did not lose a match. But the 20 kills is 5 more than he needed to pull off - that DOES make a difference. It especially makes a difference when you've got guys on the team going 8-13.

I'd rather have a 1.25 player averaging 18 kills a match than a 2.0 player averaging 12 kills a match all day long.

Not saying a low kill, high kdr player is bad. But if you look at it as if you were putting together a fantasy TDM team like a fantasy baseball team, it makes more sense.

0.300 batter that bats once a game?

or a 0.250 batter that bats 4 times a game?

• 33. Re: Does K/D really matter?
              Izjar11

It matters if you want it to matter, otherwise its just a statistic.

• 34. Re: Does K/D really matter?
                rewind247

I am in a Clan but frequently play TDM solo. As a result my win/loss is probably at around a 1.6 which is not great.  My k/d is 2.4 approximately on PSN. My win/loss is not a good indication of how well I play.  I can't tell you how many games I've played where I am the only person on my team to have a positive score.  I've played many games where I'll have more than 20 kills and less than 5 deaths yet still lose the game because the randoms on my team can't pull their own weight. 

When I play against a full party going solo and I manage to maintain my stats I feel that's a stronger indicator of my ability than when playing in a party full of strong players.

When I play solo TDM and lose I don't sweat it because it is out of my control. 

• 35. Re: Does K/D really matter?
                  Starbuck_OS

Sorry but you're creating a situation that is extremely limited and nit picking to bolster your argument that a lower KD is useful;

Simple truth more you die the more you're a negative impact to your team, even tho player A got 12 frags, he died half as much as the other player you presume better.

past 14 deaths is 20% of the contribution to your team losing, again this was in the context of Team Deathmatch, KD means nothing in other game modes.

• 36. Re: Does K/D really matter?

This is just my honest opinion: The point of buying games is to have fun, so even if i have a negative k/d, i don't really care as long as i have fun. Sometimes people are too focus in getting high k/d or high scoring gameplay, that they forget to have fun and end up raging, which is the opposite effect of playing the game.

• 37. Re: Does K/D really matter?
                      nuttin2say

UnVeiLPanic wrote:

This is just my honest opinion: The point of buying games is to have fun, so even if i have a negative k/d, i don't really care as long as i have fun. Sometimes people are too focus in getting high k/d or high scoring gameplay, that they forget to have fun and end up raging, which is the opposite effect of playing the game.

Don't you know that we are all ProZ ExpertZ? We ALL get paid to play the game, maaaan.

• 38. Re: Does K/D really matter?
                        adw1983

Starbuck_OS wrote:

Sorry but you're creating a situation that is extremely limited and nit picking to bolster your argument that a lower KD is useful;

Simple truth more you die the more you're a negative impact to your team, even tho player A got 12 frags, he died half as much as the other player you presume better.

past 14 deaths is 20% of the contribution to your team losing, again this was in the context of Team Deathmatch, KD means nothing in other game modes.

The point is:

A camper can go 10-5 in the average game -- and maintain a 2.0 KD that way, contributing an average of 5 points per match.

His contribution ratio is 5 per game.

That means, for instance, that he carries a -5 contribution player on average.

While a rusher that goes 20-13 on average -- and has a 1.50 KD that way, contributes an average of 7 points per match to his team.

That means that he carries a -7 contribution player in the average game.

• 39. Re: Does K/D really matter?
                          nuttin2say

adw1983 wrote:

Starbuck_OS wrote:

The point is:

A camper can go 10-5 in the average game -- and maintain a 2.0 KD that way, contributing an average of 5 points per match.

His contribution ratio is 5 per game.

That means, for instance, that he carries a -5 contribution player on average.

While a rusher that goes 20-13 on average -- and has a 1.50 KD that way, contributes an average of 7 points per match to his team.

That means that he carries a -7 contribution player in the average game.

Okay. So I regularly have matches where I go 10 or 11 and maybe 1 death. I do that when I want to work on my sniper rifle challenges. I don't quick scope unless I have to when someone is entering my camped zone. Otherwise, I hard camp and hard scope (when I'm on a map I think strongly comports with sniping. Otherwise I mostly run and gun).

In that case, as a camper, I would be contributing a -9 to -10 (I don't get the "negative" sign but whatever). In any case, the camper, thus, contributes more to the team than does the 20-13 rusher.

Or better yet, there are sometimes when I camp with an LMG and REALLY rack up some kills. I've gotten in the 30-3 range by doing that. What about those situations? Obviously camping is of far more value than rushing then, by your own math and standards.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next