11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 3:48 AM by Jimi Riddle RSS

Really?  Nearly 6 weeks of playing on PS3 with no framerate issues.....

RAMBONER

My wife gave me a PS4 for Christmas early on Monday and I was excited to try Ghosts out.  The graphics are a touch better which is all that I expected given the game is COD and that it was mostly developed for 360 and PS3 but the amount of framerate issues is completely inexcusable.  There is no excuse for the game to run worse on a PS4 than it does on a 3. 

Hit detection is spot on as it was for me on the PS3 but the frame rate issues are shocking.  I even deleted the entire Ghosts download and tried it a second time.  5 hours later the results were the same. 

It felt like early MW3 all over again to me.  Very disappointed to say the least.

To you more computer/tech savvy folks here how is that even possible?  The obvious answere is it running in 1080p but last gen was 720 so that seems like a non-issue.

• Re: Really?  Nearly 6 weeks of playing on PS3 with no framerate issues.....
          RAMBONER

Oh and a quick add on I messaged a couple of regular forumers who are on my FL and asked them if they had the same issue and they both said YES.  Initially I thought it was something I did wrong.

Raketti

Yeah the game has occasional frame rate issues, i don't know why though, but i read somewhere that the console is actually pushing it higher than 60fps and that's why it occasionally gets messed up. Hopefully it will eventually be patched, for me this is not something game breaking and it does not happen all the time, but we all experience different things with different severity.

Last gen CoD games are not true 720p, they are upscaled. I also read somewhere that the native 1080p only applies to the single player but i could be wrong here. It doesn't really make a difference if the game is natively 720p or 1080p because most people will never know the difference. You need a huge TV or need to use a video projector, and be relatively close to the screen to actually see a difference.

WhyNoName

They stated that they are aware of the PS4 framerate issues and are supposed to be working on a patch.  Read that somewhere a while back - who knows though with IW and Activision these days.  Hope they get that fixed sooner than later because it is annoying and sometimes game affecting.  Also, it seems to happen more on certain maps - maybe too much data, dynamic environment type thing.

FWIW The main redeeming quality I found in this game was how well it played online (very few issues with lag, framrate, hit detection, etc.)

Last night was the first time I have had consistent framerate/lag issues since launch.

So it could very well have to do with Christmas and more new players, and hopefully they can figure it out because that has not been indicative of the experience during the first month of the games life.

huntingnoluck

The frame rate issue has actually gotten a lot worst since launch day. Originally it only seemed to happen on stonehaven. It may have happened on siege but at first all siege did was freeze the game for most people. As the numbers of people have gone up and therefore the activity on screen has increased the 'stutter' has become awful. Also this started to be reported even before the ps4 went on sale, by people who had early access to it.

I got Ghosts for christmas and the framerate issues are really irritating me. They seem more prevalent in the campaign to be honest, but they still occur in multiplayer. I hope they patch it soon because it is distracting me from the experience, I remember when MW3 was releasing they were constantly on about COD delivering 'that silky smooth consistent 60 fps experience'. What happened to that sentiment IW?

RAMBONER

Thanks for all of the replies. 

Raketti- I have a brand new Samsung 52" 1080p 600hz plasma and the game doesnt look much different than the PS3 version does on it.  Some small things like a single blade of grass are a touch better but over all it looks similar which makes the framerate issues even more annoying.  I could see if the game was miles better graphically which caused more strain but I do not think that is the case.  It is something with the programming similar to early MW3. 

Lag is one thing and hit detection at times goes along with that but framerate dropping (as far as I know) shouldnt have much to do with Christmas (server load) or connection for that matter.  I am not a "techy" guy by any means though so I could be wrong.

Needless to say the game ran as close to perfect as could be expected for me on PS3.  Very few times did I say WTF or have any sort of lag (broad term) related issues.  Aside from running LAN it is impossible for the game to run flawless but my months experience on the PS3 was nearly that. 

I also had many many many more WTF or insta-deaths during my couple of nights on the PS4.  That could equate to the framerate issues though. 

It is discouraging to say the least and this should be in line right behind fixing the hacks as a top priority or the game will be shelved by this guy. 

Raketti

RAMBONER wrote:

Raketti- I have a brand new Samsung 52" 1080p 600hz plasma and the game doesnt look much different than the PS3 version does on it.  Some small things like a single blade of grass are a touch better but over all it looks similar which makes the framerate issues even more annoying.  I could see if the game was miles better graphically which caused more strain but I do not think that is the case.  It is something with the programming similar to early MW3.

Hmm, i only use a 40" FHD Samsung but sit maybe only a 1 to 1,5 meters from it when gaming, and i honestly think the game does look a lot better on the PS4. It's a lot less fuzzy, colors are more vibrant, and the textures are more detailed. You would think the bigger the screen is, the more noticeable the differences are. The graphics are not mind blowing as this is not a true next game, one reason why i'm giving Killzone 4 a go on the weekend (should be playable for free to PS Plus members).

My point with the 720p vs 1080p was that if the same game is natively running with either one of these on the same console (or even Xbox One vs PS4), you really shouldn't notice much difference due to the resolution unless you have such a big TV like you do, and sit close like i do.

MW3 did have some issues that felt similar, but i think it had something to do with the connection and the framerate dropping because of it (only happened to me while hosting and you could clearly tell you had host in that game because of it), but whatever this is it should be fixed even if i feel i does not happen that often.

Jimi Riddle

Suffering from framerate stutters on PS4 here as well.

It happens mostly in multiplayer, however in Squads it happens much less frequently. I'm guessing that things are better in Squads as I presume this is played 'locally' on your machine once your opponent's squad data has been downloaded from the servers.

I find that the biggest culprit is the smoke grenade. I use it a lot in domination and pretty much every time I throw a smoke, the stutters kick in big time. If the devs need to reproduce the problem consistently, smokes will do it for you on pretty much any map in multiplayer.

Interestingly enough, I first came across this problem back when playing Black Ops on the PS3. Unfortunately Treyarch were never able to solve the problem on PS3 and in the end I had to move to the XBox 360 to get away from it.

I really hope this is not a systemic problem with the Playstation in general because apart from this, Ghosts has been great on PS4.

It would be nice to hear something from Activision or IW on this.