12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 9:25 AM by iivrruummii RSS

The insta-death problem: Will it ever be fixed?

biron_w

Before this game was released I made a thread about the insta-deaths I was seeing in the reveal videos. By insta-deaths I mean where people just drop dead with no indication they're being shot at. I assumed it was because they were using early builds and it would be sorted. Yet it's still in the game.

That has nothing to do with lag compensation(which is what people blame it on). It's a problem with the game itself but I've no idea what(I'm no game programmer). Maybe it's something to do with the engine. Seriously, go play a private match against bots and you'll see that the exact same thing happens there as well.Players are just out of sync ALL THE TIME and even in LAN games(as shown in the pre-release videos). No amount of lag compensation/net code changes etc will ever fix it as the devs need to figure out what makes players out of sync and fix it. The problem started in BO1 and is still a problem in this game.

So will this problem ever actually be fixed?

• Re: The insta-death problem: Will it ever be fixed?
          iivrruummii

I didn't know that the insta-kill was a problem, I thought it was called getting outplayed.

biron_w

It isn't called being out played at all.

In earlier COD you had some indication you were being shot at and had a chance to escape. In this game(and the past couple of CODs as well) you just drop dead with no indication you're being shot at.

RunAndGun1

iivrruummii wrote:

I didn't know that the insta-kill was a problem, I thought it was called getting outplayed.

No, it's not being out played at all. This didn't happen in COD2, 3, or 4. And it didn't happen in MW2. It was most pronounced in BO2. And it's even worse in Ghosts.

I'm an average player, who on occasion makes the top score in the match. As I've indicated, I've played COD since COD2. And it's only been an issue in recent releases. This is clearly game related. And you can see it in the killcams. I know the killcams don't show hit markers accurately, but it surely represents the number of shots fired on you before your death. And in Ghosts I'm still getting killed around corners, and insta-killed like never before.

Recently, on Warhawk, I saw an enemy player run behind a semi. I changed course to run around the opposite side to catch him face to face. Yet, when I was on the opposite side where I SHOULD have seen him, I was insta-killed. I watched the Killcam and it showed me being killed BEFORE he disappeared behind the semi. If that were the case, you're looking at 2-3 seconds of lag. Which is ridiculous. Now, that may not be what actually happened (because it isn't). But, I've never experienced this before in any previous COD. Not to this extent. So, no, its not being out played. It's BS. And it's the game, not me.

iivrruummii

So you are complaining about getting instakilled, yet you probably instakill others and you don't even know it?

To me an instakill is when someone gets all/most of there first few bullets to hit.  Like the AK-12 takes 3-4 bullets most of the time.  Someone shoots 5 bullets and 3-4 of them hit it could feel like you got instakilled but in reality you just got outplayed.  He had better accuracy and precision than you resulting in you to die.

NoLifeKing32

No because its not a problem, never has been.

Ss78_

This is one thing that might get put into the subjective category and some people experience it while others are oblivious to it. Personally while I still play on the 360 I look forward to experiencing the Xbox one to see if next gen will reduce said grievances, while not completely in ghosts yet progressively less with each further release.

How to document said grievances and report findings on such an issue is complex to say the least. We know what we know and others have differing opinions too. Let's hope we share the common goal of supporting what we love to make it better for everyone in the process.

They've removed theatre mode now and done a uturn from elite which indicates there could've have been some issues and now moving forwards with next gen the grievances curve can either go down or up, let's hope for a downward curve. Sure people say the answer lives with the creators of titanfall that comes out soon but then again that's just not cod right?

adw1983

Ironially, instant death tells us something about the lag comp and the networking:

1: The server tick rate is too low:

You die in two updates from the server, when it should've taken three to four.

This was constantly happening in MW3 with 700 RPM+ weapons:

You got killed from one or two hits because the host has to bundle shots together in the few updates it's got, leading to single packets where two and three shots are fired.

2: There is an artificial delay in addition to interpolation and latency, that is getting cut when you die / is ignoring incoming gunshots / death events -- making your deaths more abrupt than any other ingame event which is delayed by that artificial amount.

Instant deaths in softcore MW3:

Red Frostraven - MW3 Game Clip - YouTube

0.20 second delay from shots fired til hit-detection with less than 60 ping OR hosting:

018 second delay - YouTube

Clips from one game where I insta-died in MW3;

Notice how I only get hit once or twice by two to three hit kill weapons and how the bullets are burst-fired in bursts of two to three rounds.

This bundling of shots is causing all sorts of iffy problems with the gameplay experience.

Everyone connects to games differently.  I experienced this almost 80% of the time in Blops 2.  This game has been much better for me personally.  But i have always had better luck with IW games.