4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 7:13 AM by jimmythegreeb RSS

Some advice on how to get started

I have noticed that the number of players on the XBOX 1 has increased significantly since Christmas. I have been playing a fair amount the last few days and I noticed that there are a lot of new players.  Quite a few of them are using microphones and I have been asked several times in game what are the good guns.  Along with that I have shared some advice with other new players on how to get started and use their first squad points wisely.  Rather than repeating myself in game chat a lot, I thought it might be a good idea to post a getting started thread on the forum. If you are new to the game, this post should give you some insight into your first 10 to 15 hours of multiplayer. 

First of all, Ghost is a little different from past COD games in general. There are a few things you should know before jumping in. The maps are bigger than they have been in past cod games. They also are not the normal 3 lane structure most players are used to.  Finally, the spawn system has changed as well and confers a more random pattern. This means that some of the tactics from past COD games are not as effective in ghost.  Rushing is still possible, but until you know the maps it's wiser to adopt a more measured play style and use some longer range weapons.

When you are picking out your first character's starting class, if you haven't pick the one with the SA805 Assult rifle. This will give you several perks, but most notably quickdraw.  This is an expensive perk and helps a lot when you are getting used to the game.  It's nice not to have to buy it later on.  Pick a game mode and play a few rounds until you get about a dozen squad points together, basically you need to reach level 3, using your default class. After that, you should have enough squad points to buy an assult rifle and start building your first real class. Assult rifles are the best rounded weapon for the map sizes in ghost balancing power and range.  They are a good place to get started if you are not familiar with the game. In time you will be able to experiment with different guns, but having a class that you can do well with helps you get squad points to spend faster.

The gun you unlock depends on your style. If you like accurate aimed fire, go with the AK12.  It's a 3 to 4 shot kill at any range and has low recoil with a moderate controlable rate of fire.  You should unlock the foregrip and an optic for it as soon as you can afford the attachments. The red dot sight is a good choice, but you can experiment to suit your preference.  If you are a more rush and spray player go with the FAD.  It has the same damage profile as the AK-12 and the fastest fire rate of the assult rifles. Again, a close range sight and the foregrip or extended mags makes an inexpensive but competative class. These are probably not the best assult rifles in the game, but they are the easiest to use and very competative in unskilled hands.

As for your score streaks, you are best starting out with the support package. Once you unlock 8 additional squad points I would reccomend purchasing the ballistic vest. Then run the satcom, ammo crate, and ballistic vest.  These streaks are inexpensive, help your team, get you some easy early exp, and don't reset when you die. The statcom let's you see enemies on the radar, the balistic vest gives you an extra 150 health and the ammo crate will allow you try out some weapons at random and get a feel for some other guns.

After a few hours of playing you should have earned a few squad points, gotten a feel for the flow of the game, and have an idea about which direction you want to head in.  If anybody has any more advice feel free to share it of course.  If you are new to the game and have any specific questions feel free to post them on this thread and the community will do its best to answer them.