5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2014 6:27 PM by newm8n RSS

Rooting your device?

RAMBONER

I am curious what you guys think of "rooting" your android devices?  I was on youtube trying to learn how to pair my PS3 controller with my Galaxy tab and the term "rooting" came up often.  As you fellers and ladies most likely know I am a techknucklehead and had no flippin idea what rooting a device meant so my only answers come from Google which is scary.  I trust my fellow OT Pals advice much more.

Have any of you paired a gaming controller with a tab or other android device and if so can you get away with just plugging the OTG cable in when you use it or do you recommend getting the sixaxis app from the playstore which is not a free?

• Re: Rooting your device?
          FalconR6

I think this could be a rare case of too much rooting. I prefer to be ignorant of such things.

RAMBONER

Well me too partner.  I do want to pair my PS3 controller with my galaxy though and it seems like most people on youtube say you need to "root" your device for this to work.  Out of this guys league thats for sure.

dtuchpunk

nope. controller is for my xbox

and android phone is an older one. Can't even get the xbox app and ghosts app on it

but I can call people and whatsapp people

RAMBONER

Wife bought me a Galaxy note3 for Christmas.  Figured since my PS3 controllers are just sitting around it would be cool to use them on it.  Hooking the controller up is fairly easy you just use an OTG cable and plug them in.  I keep reading about "rooting" my device though and wasnt sure about it. 

newm8n

from what i understand its basically jailbreaking / modding your phone. adding and subtracting software

me personally wouldnt do it unless i found a cheap one somewhere to try first, i wouldnt do it with a brand new phone though. i had apple unlock my phones just so i can take them to any provider i want.