13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2014 11:56 AM by TL_Bare_B_V2 RSS

Thoughts on the CoD Championships 2014

maccabi

As many of you are now no doubt aware this years CoD champs was announced today Activision's Call of Duty Championship, presented by Xbox Brings eSports to the Next Generation.

Since the announcement this morning i've seen quite a few raised eyebrows and quite a few complaints over the way its being run (although it has to be said these mostly seem to be coming from the existing "esport players and their respective fans"...

One of my biggest complaints about last years CoD champs was the way it was organised as to basically exclude the majority of the cod community. Don't get me wrong here I want CoDesports to grow but have always maintained to do so you need to attract more of the regular community ad player base. As ultimately we just end up seeing the same teams over and over with the same players - although saying that there does seem to have been a large switcheroo this week with team rosters.

By removing the qualifying from esport events per se a major hurdle has been overcome for normal community based teams to compete, as qualifying will now be done online albeit via mlg, and lan qualifiers being handled by other esport organisations like Gfinity. Having watched the trailer for the cod champs earlier i did notice there was a big focus on the qualifying was for everyone and i really liked that aspect. So well done Atvi .

Most of the complaints I've seen today seem to be centered on how unfair this is to "pro teams" who aren't being automatically seeded and are being forced to now qualify online. People seem to be upset their favorite team maybe won't qualify with the most often quoted reason as another team may have a lucky win. I am firmly of the opinion there is enough events aimed squarely at the "pro esport players" The CoD champs should be something that is accessible to the entire cod community.Period.

The way things stand atm with online qualifiers this does favor regular players more than "pro players" the flip side of this is once the champs move onto lan the "pro players gain an advantage but herein lies my next issue. I really don't understand why the finals will be played on the xbox one when the qualifying is on 360.. well actually I do as I assume MS insisted on this to promote their new console. What this means is all players will lose their scufs (not a bad thing) and everyone will be forced to use the weird new xbox controller designed for people with small hands - hopefully they will allow kontrol freaks . The ongoing issues with the xbox one with regards to chat and sound is going to throw up issues unless they fix that by then and there's the elephant in the room of the issues with lanning up xbox ones atm.

Another thing I've seen people comment on is preempting people ddos'ing to be honest i cant really see this being a major issue for the actual games i can for the streams though (the nasty under belly of our community) . but even so its quite easy to counter possible ddosin in the online qualifiers by running a secret santa type hosting system for qualifying games. It would've just taken a bit of organizing beforehand .

The only other complaint i've seen alot is the fact there's only eight spaces for NA teams, good, last cod champs favored the NA teams way too much and i think a quarter of the spots being allocated to NA is more than enough.

I just want to leave you all with one thought.. the CoD champs is and should be for the whole community to have an equal chance to enter and maybe win. The only way CodEsports will ever grow is if the events are more accessible to the wider player base, as ultimately there is only so many times you can watch the same teams compete .  (and yes i will be rooting for an underdog team to win)

- I will concede I do agree with the best of three round scenario isn't a tad weird and i agree with everyone else that it should be five rounds.

• Re: Thoughts on the CoD Championships 2014
          WhyNoName

I do agree that they should figure out a way to open up the field to a larger player base and not simply cater to a very small percentage of teams.  However, for a million dollar tournament, I want to see the best teams regardless of how they get there.  If it's a fluke group of teams, what's the point?  The way they have it structured is like telling the MLB teams that they will now have to play in people's backyards rather than their stadiums and they can't use their bats but use whiffle ball bats to hit the ball with.  LAN vs ONLINE and XBox360/scuff with XBoxOne/controller.

Now, the Cubs might actually figure out a way to win this type of tournament, but that would be a fluke now wouldn't it?  Why throw so many variables into such an important tournament and then as you mention, switch the console they are competing on at the end and most important time?  I like parity and I like new people and teams, but they should also make sure that the existing pro scene is properly represented - they are the best.  I see this tournament possibly being a nightmare for most teams.  Online is tough when you have geographic disparity among your team.

TL_Bare_B_V2

The final is to be played on Xbox One so i'll highlight the important bit just here

6. Equipment Restrictions: All Player equipment is subject to approval by Sponsor. Sponsor will not permit the use of any equipment that may provide an unfair competitive advantage. Specifically, Players may not use a Turbo controller, a Button Macro controller, a Wireless controller, or a Play and Charge Kit. Players also may not use a control that has been modified to allow for an alteration in a game character’s abilities or any other game mechanics. Players are also not permitted to use a keyboard, mouse, or keyboard and mouse adapter. Players may make cosmetic changes to their controller. Teams are allowed to use their own gaming headset provided the headset does not require a USB connector or additional power.

Erm... aren't all Xbox One controllers wireless?

maccabi

TL_Bare_B_V2 wrote:

The final is to be played on Xbox One so i'll highlight the important bit just here

6. Equipment Restrictions: All Player equipment is subject to approval by Sponsor. Sponsor will not permit the use of any equipment that may provide an unfair competitive advantage. Specifically, Players may not use a Turbo controller, a Button Macro controller, a Wireless controller, or a Play and Charge Kit. Players also may not use a control that has been modified to allow for an alteration in a game character’s abilities or any other game mechanics. Players are also not permitted to use a keyboard, mouse, or keyboard and mouse adapter. Players may make cosmetic changes to their controller. Teams are allowed to use their own gaming headset provided the headset does not require a USB connector or additional power.

hahahahahha good spot a wired xbox one controller uses the play and charge lead..

TL_Bare_B_V2

maccabi wrote:

TL_Bare_B_V2 wrote:

hahahahahha good spot a wired xbox one controller uses the play and charge lead..

Which is also banned *thadunk thadunk* 

xsmokex20

Needs open qualifiers. Without them, it's the same thing over and over again.

ghamorra

I'm assuming this is for Xbox players only?

Championships are fun but I've found that they're often played by those who use...unconventional tactics. It's such a different style of play when you're in competitive lobbies. Maybe I'm not cut out for competitive play or I have a huge misunderstanding of how these things work. But I don't competitive games very competitive.

WolfRidge

Pro's will always fear the unknown, the advantage of playing the same teams all the time is they know each other inside-out.

By having open qualifiers unknown and unused tactics will be in play that a Pro cannot predict,  I think this is good for the scene to help it grow and find some new Nadeshot's and Scumpii's for the future, all good for the growth of the sport.

The new lineups will be interesting, as a long time NV fan I'm excited to see how it goes, although the Merk/Scump relationship may be tested.  Optic look really strong, it's gonna be good.

iHattoriHanzo0

Being an avid fan of everything CoD. The whole "Chamionship" and "mlg" stuff makes me just a spectator. I just take a seat and wind up being critical and nitpicking at they way pro's play. I appreciate the commitment and level the pro's display, but playing the game casually in pubs makes it hard for me to root for anyone. Let alone have an opinion for the rules or regulations. Its a young mans game and I'm still trying to accept that "I'm not the best".

gotsomestars

I'd like to see a tournament where they just play by the same rules as everyone else. It would be interesting to see how good they were without the game being set up specifically for them. To be fair I've never been interested in E"sports" , simply because if they need to change the rules to be good, they don't get my attention.

WhyNoName

I know what you are saying about the playing field and playing the entire game as it was meant to be, but in reality, they aren't removing things from the game because they can't adjust to them, they are removing them from the game to force the players to earn their kills in gun v gun via team strategy.

Imagine watching a competitive game that gets decided by a player running IEDs and camping a corner in S&D.  Have a team of 4 arm themselves with various explosives and win games with cheese factor?  I am all for them removing such lame uses of game additions for competitive play and thus focus exactly on what takes some skill in this game, gun v gun.  It takes 0 skill of any sort to utilize explosives and other goofball things like the squad mate in game.  I know there are 2 sides to this story, I prefer to watch players win by earning kills with gun skill versus earning kills with explosives that have nothing to do with their aim/etc.  Just my opinion.

nicedrewishfela

I like that they opened the qualifications. It would be a great story to hear about a clan of Average Joes (Or guys out of their teens or twenties) making it to the big show, Not just some guys from Optic or Envy or whatever. Those guys have earned their place in the Pro Circuit, but they shouldn't be handed a spot in the CoD Championships. Make them earn their way in like everyone else.

OK, I'm so totally new to this, so noob questions FTW:

What's exactly a "best team" or rather "what's a team" ? Thought this game was clan based ? I guess a team is a six players cap party, but how is it exactly an "official" team ?

Also, what does define them as "best" ? Score, KDA, Win ratio, player's reputation... ? I mean, the ladderboard is hacked, stats can be modified illegally, so what's considered as "best" ? Do you really need to stream and upload videos of you throwing three KEM strikes to gain fans and so move forward in you "gamer career" ? 'Coz that's just dumb, there are million players without teams that are totally unknown and could beat most of the so called "Pros".

And I'll ask this again 'coz I still don't get it: which part of the game is "competitive" ? In Blops2 there were leagues, here there are only Clan Wars.

BTW I'm 27 years old and I was right here when all this started, so how did I exactly miss it ? Is there some link to a site I never read or something ?