38 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2014 11:23 PM by IndyOldGuy RSS

Does Incog Cost too Much?

Highwayman0226

Does anyone feel that three points is a bit too much to counter an attachment? 

• Re: Does Incog Cost too Much?

It counters Tracker & Thermal Sight, motion sensor & you don't glow white for player controlled killstreaks. I think it also counters Recon Perk. Plus you don't get your big orange name popping up from across the map when someone looks at you. It's a balance deal for 3 points. Any "camper" assist perks should cost higher then the other perks.

NoLifeKing32

I find your post amusing since Incog is primarily used to counter the wide use of Thermals in this game, ie a "camper" assist attachment.

Highwayman0226

Interesting, I've never really thought about Incog as a camper perk as much as a way to hide from the guy sitting with a thermal scope.

nicedrewishfela

It is interesting to think about, was pondering a thread on this topic myself.

The cost of camping in this game is far less than the cost of movement. I am a tactical mover, wouldn't call myself a run and gunner as I do my best to thoughtfully move around the board. I have been tweaking my classes and finding it helps to add more and more perks in order to just move around the map with any success. Many of my classes I have had to forgo Tac/Lethal grenades and a secondary in favor of more perk slots. I am finding I need to have DS, SitRep, Blind Eye, Incog, Off the Grid at the very least in order to not be taken out by campers. Even with all those equipped (Its impossible to have them all, I have to have classes with both),  It is still very difficult at times to move around the board.

But what is the cost to the camper? All you need is a Thermal or Tracker sight, which takes up one attachment slot... Maybe run OTG, though not as needed anymore. Definitely run Amplify, as it counters DS. Can still track players in Thermal or Tracker even if they don't light up... Can wear Incog to stay out of sight of others with those sights.... Maybe run Blind Eye if not camping a building or safe area..... Equip an IED or Two (needing that two Lethal perk)...

But if you think about it... it costs movers a LOT more in this game than it does Campers. Is that balance?

Highwayman0226

Some good stuff here.  I pretty much feel the same way.  If I'm gonna move around the map, I have to use ALL my perks to counter stuff, and NOTHING to enhance my soldier.  The only exception is my close quarters map where I don't bother with Incog, I get to use agility instead.  Incog to counter thermal (3 points to counter free), Sitrep or Blast shield to counter IEDs (2 points to counter 1), Dead Silence to (kind of) counter Amplify (or just loud footsteps in general.  Even trade).  Now I have one point left if I want to keep my lethal, tac and secondary.  That's 7 points just to be able to move somewhat freely, where the stationary guy has used amplify.

IndyOldGuy

Highwayman0226 wrote:

Interesting, I've never really thought about Incog as a camper perk as much as a way to hide from the guy sitting with a thermal scope.

hmmm, I use incog so I can actually move without being highlighted white by the countless thermal campers, never considered it as a camping perk

You can't camp if you're glowing white.

nicedrewishfela

I think the better question is "Does it cost too little to equip a Thermal or Tracker Sight?"

I think there is your answer.

TheDarkOne123

Yes Incog costs too much it should be either one or two points because the fact is it only really has one good effect that's actually useful other then that it's useless anyone with a brain would know it costs too much. Now if it made it where you displayed team colors then yes I would say keep it at three but it doesn't so no it's not so it should be two.

you're obviously the one without a brain. incog keeps you off thermal and hides your name on screen, hides red crosshairs, and the enemy can't call out your position. that alone is worth the 3 points. throw in the fact that tracker sight and motion sensors and the recon perk don't work on you, and you got an amazing perk that is cheap at 3 points.

so explain again, how is it only good for one thing?

TheDarkOne123

Yes because stealth is the game breaker in this game right? Let me guess you are going to say all stealth perks should be 3 points as well? Everything you just listed doesn't cost a point so why should Incog be three points? Are you admitting that you can't see the enemies? If Incog made you invisible on everything you just listed I would agree with you but it doesn't in fact you are still seen on the Tracker and Thermal sight. I can't believe how many people in this game hate stealth I guess no one likes to be surprised when they are locking down a spawn point or area.

I think Incog is fair at 3 considering it does a lot. Off The Grid, however, should be 2 points instead of 3. I would also like to see Quick Draw and Extra Attachment get lowered by a point as well.

Gerbera

Seems fair to me. Not like only run and gunners can use it either. Campers can make just as good use of it too.

I also find it kind of weird that people NOW use the and complain about the Thermal Scope when, from my experience using them, it's not much different than it was in previous games. In BO2, when using LMGs, I actually favored the Thermal Scope over the Target Finder and even used it in MW3, yet I hardly ever saw anyone use it in either game (BO2 may have had the Target Finder, but MW3 had no other real "special" scopes). In fact, it's not much different than MW3's version overall. Gray landscape with easy to see white shapes and still-easy to see black blobs.

I've even seen/heard people actually try to compare the Thermal Scope now to the Target Finder in BO2 (as in "only those can't aim use it")...really..?

Highwayman0226

That's kind of ridiculous claim.  The thermal scope in no way helps you aim, it just helps you identify your targets easier.  And friendlies show up on the thermal in Ghosts.  I haven't used thermals too much in past titles, did teammates glow too?  I thought MW3 had the green thermal.  Was that a different title?  Either way, it was hard to see the guys that were hidden (assassin or blind eye, or whatever?).  Ghosts, it's pretty easy to see a guy in a thermal, even with Incog on.

Either way, I'm finding Incog a must have perk if you want to move around the larger, more open maps.

BBBrian2013

Green Thermal= BO1

Gerbera

BO1 and BO2 both had the green thermal while MW games and Ghosts have the gray one.

That's pretty much what I bring up in terms of the Target Finder; it only helps you identify targets, but does NOT actually do any aiming "for" the user. So if a person who "can't aim" uses it, then why should it matter since, even if they can identify you as an enemy target, then they shouldn't be able to hit you for crap anyway? It's not like the Target Finder auto-aimed and locked onto the target's head and did all the firing in such a perfect way that it killed the enemy in 2 shots. Some even claimed that it reduced recoil, which I have yet to see.

IndyOldGuy

Gerbera wrote:

Seems fair to me. Not like only run and gunners can use it either. Campers can make just as good use of it too.

I also find it kind of weird that people NOW use the and complain about the Thermal Scope when, from my experience using them, it's not much different than it was in previous games. In BO2, when using LMGs, I actually favored the Thermal Scope over the Target Finder and even used it in MW3, yet I hardly ever saw anyone use it in either game (BO2 may have had the Target Finder, but MW3 had no other real "special" scopes). In fact, it's not much different than MW3's version overall. Gray landscape with easy to see white shapes and still-easy to see black blobs.

I've even seen/heard people actually try to compare the Thermal Scope now to the Target Finder in BO2 (as in "only those can't aim use it")...really..?

Its a lot different now, you can switch to the other sight for close range engagements, which you could not do in MW3, the thermal in ghosts is also much clearer than MW3 thermal and also has much more zoom, it has no downside in ghosts, whereas in previous titles it did.

phxs72

My only guess is that they made it cost more because the maps are bigger than what people are used to and they want people to be able to find their opponents easier.  Honestly, I don't even use it that much and I don't use thermal scopes all that much either now that I've gotten pretty good at the maps.  It wouldn't bother me if they lowered the cost but it wouldn't bother me if they left it as is either.  I can see your point though that it is awfully expensive when it's only real value is countering the thermal scope.  It's not like the names pop up in this game all that much whether you run it or not.

Now that I think about it a little more they may have made it cost 3 points for another reason.  They may be trying to make it difficult for someone to combine QD, Incog, OTG and Focus.  I know that those can be combined as is but it comes at a severe cost of not having a secondary and not having any lethals or tacticals.  So the way that things are now most people have to decide which one of the four they can live without and that effectively opens a hole in their armor.

KC135R

the whole game is a catch 22 chicken and egg thing, I only use thermal BECAUSE of all the campers. I never used it BO2 or the target tracker. But that's war, the enemy creates a weapon you counter that weapon.

KC135R

I honestly use whatever I can to win. Tube, thermal, IED. I don't care  whatever gives me an advantage I use it.

After a while, I get sick of using sitrep and stealth focuses on every class

ghamorra

It should not cost 3 points. Not with how many people are using the Thermal. Either find a way to balance the thermal or lower the cost of the Incog. As of right now I'm basically obligated to use Incog.

TheDarkOne123

Incog only helps protect against free sights so it should only be 2 points in my opinion.