37 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2014 11:36 AM by Sannji RSS

Riot Shields are garbage.

dayoldtamales

Using them for C4? Powerful yes. As a standalone weapon? Terrible. I'm always getting shot through my feet, and even through the shield sometimes. Yes I do crouch. I even aim a little bit low when I crouch. The melee even has a tendency to miss. A lot.

Shielders are way too easy to kill. Sorry. Maybe they would be worth using if they could one-hit bash. They can in Hardcore, but I get shot in even more ridiculous ways. Eh.

• Re: Riot Shields are garbage.

The C4 crap with them in S&R ruins the mode because you will die, it's a given, unless you use that rocket launcher or semtex & run.

But yeah alone the shield sucks. Bash once & they either knife or shoot you. The shield should stun the player far longer then it does now.

This is kinda dumb...the riot shield is not meant to be used as a stand alone thing....it's a totally support build...as in you support a buddy as you guys roam the maps. you distract while he kills from behind....

It actually works nicely when you're not trying to get kills. I tried it with a friend, he would strafe around and people would shoot him, giving away their position and I snipe from a building behind.

The C4 method is the only real way to go solo with riot shields, and even then it is not very good, you'll die after you're out of C4s.....but like I said, this thing is not meant for solo play.

I previous CODs you could straight up bash the living hell out of people with the shield if the lag comp was actually being favorable to you. In this game where you can actually use the shield without lag icking you the bash sucks.

I agree, the bash sucks compared to before. My point is that riot shields should not be designed as a run and bash thing. It is support. That's my opinion.

dayoldtamales

If it was a support weapon it probably wouldn't be in the primary weapon slot.

Yeah, if it's a primary weapon it should at least be able to kill intelligent creatures.

lol what?

Secondary and primary have nothing to do with support or not....

Fang_1192

Just because it is meant for support does not mean it gets to suck at offense. It already has no range, slow movement speed, can blind the user, doesn't always block bullets/explosions, has poorly synced animations, 2 useless attachments with an easily countered third, poor melee tracking, an awful melee cooldown/bash animation but apparently being competent in extreme CQC is out of the question. The counter to a riot shield user should not be run up to it, get bashed, then knife him while he is locked in a stupid 3 second animation where he can't move at all. You shouldn't even want to get close to the riot shield user.

See, again, the reason you have a problem is because you continue to look at it as an offensive weapon, when it is more of a support tool than anything. Counter to the riot shield? Well, that's the thing, when someone is trying to counter the riot shield, they get shot in the head by someone else, because the whole point of the riot shield is to distract attention and attract bullets.

Really, TDM is not where the riot shield shines, you need to play it in objective game modes, and more importantly, in a team that communicates. That's when you will see a riot shield is actually a pain in the ass for enemy.

Fang_1192

Can you stop assuming you know what game modes I play or how I play period?

I do pretty damn well with riot shield set ups. I know its not a weapon. But the riot shield itself should be damaging enough to enemies that they want to avoid getting close to the riot shield user. If it wasn't for C4, Throwing Knives or fast swapping to pistols the riot shield would be a huge joke. But C4 is finite, throwing knives are a high skill weapon, and fast swapping to pistols makes you vulnerable and relies on luck. It needs some offensive merit on its own to act as an actual deterrence. You know what else kills the enemy but doesn't require a second player? Using your own gun to shoot the enemy. There is no reason to run the shield as support/distraction when it is actually less efficient to do so.

If it wasn't meant to get kills, why are there challenges exactly for that? Why do I have to get hundreds of kills to unlock all the patches? I mean, if it was meant for support, its challenges shouldn't be based around killing.

Also, why do I need hardline to get streaks using the riot shield as intended? If I just use the riot shield (no hardline) for support, I will never get a pointstreak in TDM, I will rarely get low support pointstreaks in domination. By using the shield as just support, I am nearly locked out of one of the major draws of the CoD series: Streaks.

If the riot shield fails for even a second, the user dies through no fault of their own. When you melee with the riot shield, control is taken away from the player. There are poorly syncing animations in a hugely animation dependent weapon. Proper use takes away the players vision. ALL of those are huge design flaws. On top of all that, the riot shield is completely incompetent and defenseless in extreme CQC, its only offensive range. It should punish people unlucky or stupid enough to get that close.

I never said you only play TDM. TDM is in fact, however, where the riot shield is not as useful. And I believe I am right about that.

The only assumption I made was that you think of it as an offensive weapon, and I believe I am right to assume you think that. I don't recall saying you suck at it....

The way the shield is designed right now is for support. Do you agree? You obviously agree because you think it sucks at killing people by itself. Now the debate is if it SHOULD be buffed to be more of a stand alone build. And sure, you can say it should, and that's simply your opinion. But if you're saying it's quite useless the way it is now, that's where I'm arguing that it is not. I have seen amazing teams dominate objective game modes (though blitz seems to be hard for RS) with the use of a RS on their team.

Are you locked out of streaks....yeah sure, but again...it's not about your streaks anyways, if you look at it from a support role.

Anyways, it doesn't matter, the problem here is we disagree on the SHOULD part. And that's all about play style and opinion. I just don't see why you even care, if you're an offensive player. Why even bother with RS other than challenges (and I get it, the challenges require kills....but I think that's cause there's only so much challenges you can offer any weapon....)

darkrangeresp

The riot shield is a great tool for team work.  It serves as a mobile platform for launching equipment and providing yourself with cover.  It works best as part of a two or 3 man fire team. You can go first and draw fire while your team mates mow down the other team from a few paces behind you.  The scrambler can give you and a few team mates off the grid as a free perk and basically keep your team mates weapons from appear on radar when they fire.  However, they have to stay very close to you. The portable radar is also useful as a probing tool to hunt campers and avoid ambushes. But the shield isn't very effective as a blunt object.

Bielsalmighty

I'd say the shield is arguably more effective than it was before, but its still terrible. I love the fact that I spent a few matches of HC Dom last night blatantly killwhoring and got zero rage, yet someone else was using a Riot Shield earlier in the day and getting all kinds of abuse for it.

Nice to see certain parts of the community still have great accuracy when it comes to shooting their own feet

KC135R

I'll admit it's one of those weapons that I see others using and wishing I could use as good but i can't. I suck at it.

Carota711_

I DISAGREE. RIOT SHIELDS ARE WAY TOO OVERPOWERED AND PISS EVERYONE OFF. NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A KILL ON RIET SHIELD NOOBS

Bielsalmighty

YOU TYPED EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS, IT MUST BE TRUE! HAIL TO OUR NEW KING, WE ARE NOT WORTHY

Fang_1192

But he does have a point. Riet shields are clearly overpowered. That's why IW doesn't let anyone use them.

Bielsalmighty

Yep, a weapon which occasionally forgets that it exists and lets you be shot straight through it, has extremely limited range (as Bare B V2 found out last night ) and makes you move slow as toffee is OP for sure. I mean, its not like a DC'd noob tube put next to you is going to completely obliterate you before you can get near enough to lob a C4 now is it?

Fang_1192

But if they run DC and a tube they have to give up FIVE of there OH SO Precious perk points. I mean how will they be able to have Dead Silence, Amplify, DC, an underbarrel GL, Focus, Stalker and Ready up on the same class? Its just soooo unfair that they have to make a counter class, even though the class theyre going against is technically is a counter to them in the first place.

Just in case so some people don't get confused - the above was sarcasm. I think the riot shield set ups are fine, and that the riot shield, as a standalone weapon or tool needs a more effective close range deterrent: in other words a 1 Bash Kill or some kind of prolonged stun. Hell, id settle for Scavenger refilling tacticals again.

Sounds to me like you: a) Should play hardcore and b) should try to change the way you move on the map. Personally I LOVE the shield and have done since MW2. Not saying that I am a great player, nor do I claim to be the most succsessful, but I do have a fondness of the Shields and I have, over the years, built up atleast a few bits of knowledge on how to use them.

Regarding point a, well, you kinda said it yourself: One hit bash.

Point b, however: You have to consider what you have equipped (besides the shield). As others have said: the shields isn't the most offensive weapon, but I have no doubt that it has it's place.

If you run a shield and C4 and Kastet, you can go straight at people. Throw DC, Reflex and Extra Lethal on that sucker and you're ready to charge enemies head on and leave them scattered around the battlefield!

Shield and pistol and/or TK? FLANK, FLANK, FLANK! If you get beside or behind someone you SHOULD be able to get two bashes in before they get their shait together.

Running a tank class with LMG and shield? Well, you are an objective capper and keeper! Rip through enemies and use the shield as cover!

It's not a bad weapon - it just takes some getting used to.

derjager

I have got my riot shield in gold cammo, Its easy but you must obbey some rules:

- never run with riot, your feet are visible

- walk always bend over

- when enemy fire you dont target with the shield to enemy gun, target to his feet, so all of you can be protected

- wait that he goes back or reload to go to him.

- wait the correct moment to attack him.

+1

I'd add:

- Time you second attack. Meleeing twice in a row is not the way to go, specially if you hit them while crouched.

- If they are shooting at you heavily, just stand still crouched until they reload or move, that way you feet cannot be hit and you're totally covered.

They aren't too effective, but I still find them decent as part of an Overkill class for S&D and S&R. The only real problem I have with it is that hip-firing seems to make bullets curve around the shield even if the shield user is pointing the shield perfectly.

How-to use a Riotshield, by Ozhm:

Stay in front of your teammates with guns.

-Wrote and compiled by Ozhm. ^_^

Wait, you want melee kills ? Fit the Titanium Frame and you will melee twice before they can react to the first melee hit, just notice you need to have them in front of you after the first attack, which is like aiming the Riotshield, it requires some skillz, I admit it. Else just go C4 / Throwing Knife / Pistol.

I have highly enjoyed using riot shield in TDM. Though you having a shield is like giving the opposing team a handicap.

The fact that the animation while holding a shield is the same as a gun makes no sense. Why when you strafe do you stick your rear end out. Its bad enough that they don't hold the shield to block what in front of them. But to run into someone and than die cause when they move around you and spray your characters bends over for them. I have however found a good shield build utilizing akimbo pistols and the speedy switch (forgot what the perk is called) which allows for some major counter play when they got to throw equipment or reload. But unless Im majority on the offensive. I die to often when my shield facing them doesn't stop all rounds. Sadly enough I have found it to be faster to switch shield and knife than to try and shield bash, much safer choice.

My bad grammar and 2 cents.