14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2014 8:53 PM by FalconR6 RSS

Ghamorra's book of tactics: The greatest threat to your success is yourself

ghamorra

Today I went and watched my old high school basketball team take on their bitter rivals in what would be a massive blow out. Even though they were losing badly they didn't give up. All they did was try harder. The sprinted across the court, dove for loose balls, play stronger, and pushed the tempo faster and faster in hopes of staging a 35 point comeback...that didn't happen.

The thing about trying harder is that most of the time it has the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve. The harder and faster you push yourself beyond control. Our pointguard was so adamant on pushing the tempo of the game that he kept turning the ball over. The center was trying to desperately to overpower the his defender that was a good four inches taller than he was that he knocked him over for an offensive foul. Playing harder IS NOT playing smarter.

Control is key, it's what playing game is about. If you don't have control over yourself you can't hope to have control over the outcome. It's always been important and always will be. You know those days that just suck. You can't buy a kill or even execute basic actions. That feeling of defeat is really a feeling of being out of control or your own game.

When you're losing, getting beat up on, or even just having trouble with consistency, an important trick is start working on a small scale. Set small goals that easy to achieve and build confidence up in your game. What I like to do is find a not so populated area of the map and defend it. Pick off a few guys that wander buy and with each kill a spread out just a bit. Slowly working my way back into relevance. This is great for TDM or KC where there's no real objective and you have more freedom to relax and play your own game.

In a mode like DOM or something with a physical objective you might want to work on protecting a spawn then slowly work out and push the next flag. Make you find success in the small goals. Building confidence is best way to make sure your heads in the right place and you don't get ahead of yourself. Taking flags and defending the objective is a great way to do this.

If you want to find success you first need to allow yourself to be successful. Frustration and anger most often results in failure. You can't be successful if your angry and acting out. Control yourself and once you do that you can start focusing on controlling the game.

• Re: The greatest threat to your success is yourself

Problem is that the people I play DOM with never heard of defense.

Im not sure I agree, maybe your right about trying sooo hard that you lose control. But I have FFA games daily where I find myself dying 4-6 times in a row off crap spawns or other ridiculous chained deaths and lose 1st place with only a minute of so left something in me snaps and I'll find myself going in to "the zone", everything after that point is heightened senses of awareness. I'll find myself going on a 10 kill gun streak in under a minute running around like a maniac. I'm sure other people experience this too, where you reach the point of either raging or digging down deep and pulling a win out. Of course FFA is the one mode where only you control the outcome. If your team has varying levels of desperation, for lack of a better term, then I can see comeback being a lot harder.

ghamorra

Some players can dig deep and pull out the win. I played tennis during the spring after basketball season. I wasn't by any means the best, I didn't even start playing until my Junior year, yet I found that when going up against greater odds I played better. Sometimes all it takes is having your back against the wall to kick you into high gear and producing results. Like being down a set and at match point but coming back to win it all.

There are players out there who just play better when facing certain defeat. For the most part though you'll find that when someone is losing they get mad and start making rash decisions and playing out of anger. That doesn't help anyone.

Tactics74

I agree... The old quote is "When you find yourself in a hole; stop digging". Holds true with everything.

• Re: Ghamorra's book of tactics: The greatest threat to your success is yourself
                  nuttin2say

Great thread, G. I'm glad I read it. And the reason why will help anyone who doubts what you said.

When I came to Ghosts, I had my traditional learning curve ... but I turned it around earlier than I ever have in any previous CODs. However, the last few times I've played, I've struggled badly. My WLR dropped from 1.5 to 1.37 and my kdr dropped from 1.95 to 1.84. If I were in the 10,000s of thousands of kills, that would be a really significant drop, but I think I'm in the 3000 or 4000 range right now. In any case, the stats themselves are not what has been bugging me. What's been bugging me is that I've had several sessions in a row that did not go well.

Since BO1 I have ignored bad starts to matches. I have regularly had matches where I start out as bad as 0 - 9. (I mostly play TDM). I don't worry about it because over the years I've made a collection of goals to achieve during a match. Goal # 1 is to not die 12 times. Goal # 2 is to score more than 12 kills. TBH, those are the two goals I focus upon and the rest change almost per match.

Now, traditionally when I start out so crappy, I switch gears. I usually switch to my go-to CAC. I try to always have a class I feel comfortable with. A sort of security blanket class I can fall back onto in the worst of situations and feel confident I will do well. Another thing I've traditionally done when starting off badly is that I didn't rush to return to the action. Rather, I take a new read on the match flow. I could go further in explaining what I normally do when the crap hits the fan, but I don't think there's a need to.

I haven't been living up to any of those things. I haven't even been making 12 kills a goal. I haven't been making less than 12 deaths a goal. I don't have a go-to CAC. Haven't had one at any time during Ghosts. Everything I've taken the time, and great pride in learning to do? I realized while reading the OP I just tossed it all out the window. As if I am playing COD for the first time ever.

Now, some are going to say that's because Ghosts is so radically different. Maybe that is a factor but I'm going to tell you what I think is the largest factor ... I've been playing the game when I am too tired to play. Really. It really is that simple. I know why I've been doing it, too. I've been playing the game when I am too tired, well, for two reasons. First, I haven't had as much time to play the game and now have to rely on oddball hours (an odd statement coming from me in the first place). But the larger reason is that my routine became so reliable in previous CODs that I could play while hardly able to keep my eyes open and still perform fairly well.

Can't do that in Ghosts. At least, I can't do it. I need to be better than the 50% I've been playing at.

Slowing down and rethinking my game ... while outside the game, I hope, has helped me realize that.

• Re: Ghamorra's book of tactics: The greatest threat to your success is yourself
                    FalconR6

Great thread G,

Gotta say I play my best when I am relaxed, easier said than done. For example - when I was playing MW2 I can remember panic knifing into thin air when I was meaning to fire my weapon at someone 20 yards away. To this day, I still have to tell my hands to relax.

I'm not that great when it comes cod controller and reflex skill. I blame Zelda born reflexes and not the best pair of eyes,,,, hey... I got to blame something, right. However, I do notice that when I totally forget about being self conscious over KD or just generally sucking - this is when I play really well. With experience I've learned not to give a rat's bum about others expectations of what makes a good cod player. Any stats I look at now I just benchmark against myself,

To nuttin, being tired is horrible for cod. I was even playing Squad mode against bots a couple of nights ago, I was getting owned because I just couldn't pay attention.