1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2014 8:22 PM by Rexens_View Go to original post RSS
      • 20. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
        Poppa-Ghosts

I'm only versed in core FFA so my opinions are obviously biased since I choose not to participate in the team modes.

850 kills to get the DMR Iron Sights Master Badge;

850 kills to get the Ghillie Suit through the Chrome Barrel challenge.

Managing to open all ten Squad members.

Not exactly what you might deem "Fun"; but the satisfaction of the accomplishment is fun IMHO.

And sure I can run around all day with a HoneyBadger and a Tracker sight and win games; but after doing that the first prestige to build up squad points/objectives, I haven't touched it 20,000 kills later.

As you say; "Fun" is now running around with a slug Bulldog and not caring about objectives or K/D ratio is "Fun"; been there, done that; bought the t-shirt and the bumper sticker.

Don't get me wrong; I certainly think that being spawn killed 5 or 6 times in a row has led to many a player becoming overly frustrated - me included; and I think there are certainly ways for the game to be improved;  but overall I think that Ghosts will hold its own in the COD library.  Maybe not as everyone favorite; as I think expectations for everyone were disproportional based on previous titles raking in so many $$$$.   But, it is fun.

• 21. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
          nicedrewishfela

It is a tricky thing, really, as everyone defines "Fun" differently in their own minds.

When we got COD4, it was brand new, even for those of us who had played FPS games. It had features and gameplay like we had never seen before. While I am sure people complained about it, we were mostly just overwhelmed by the game itself that we adjusted to what was in it. And we had fun doing so.

As the game continued it's yearly release, it offered more and more and changed throughout the years and a terrible, but inevitable, thing happened... the community became entitled. It was no longer... "Hey, check out this cool thing they added to the game", it became "I can't have fun unless they add <THIS> into the game". It became "If they don't have <THIS>" this game is going to suck. It went from "I can't wait to try this new feature" to " This feature is going to be OP because...".

So, instead of people getting the new game and enjoying playing the game as well as the learning curve... they complained about the game because of the learning curve. They began to see the game in terms of what they want rather than what it had. Because it is different than what they had gotten used to, it isn't as good.  So they go back to the old game.

But here is the irony... they did the same thing when that same old game came out. Take BO2 for example. When that came out you had people blasting it for the changes Treyarch made and yelling about how they were going back to MW3 (Which they also hated on release). What happens instead is, those same people quietly come back to the current game after realizing the older game's population is smaller or just not fun to play with. They play the current game and get used to it and eventually have a lot of fun once they figure out how to play.

Then, when the new game comes out and forces them to adapt... they go back to the very same game they were complaining about and the cycle continues.

• 22. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
            Izjar11

nicedrewishfela wrote:

But here is the irony... they did the same thing when that same old game came out. Take BO2 for example. When that came out you had people blasting it for the changes Treyarch made and yelling about how they were going back to MW3 (Which they also hated on release). What happens instead is, those same people quietly come back to the current game after realizing the older game's population is smaller or just not fun to play with. They play the current game and get used to it and eventually have a lot of fun once they figure out how to play.

Then, when the new game comes out and forces them to adapt... they go back to the very same game they were complaining about and the cycle continues.

This right here!

• 23. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
              ghamorra

It's pretty simple Ego, in Black Ops II and MW3 you had kids going out trying to get 100+ gameplays, double MOABs, and whatever else ridiculous achievements which only proved they were exploiting flaws in the game.

Now you have Ghosts. An all-around well performing game with great balance and performance. Now players are more evenly matched. There's not some invincible guy in God mode destroying everyone and you can no longer control a match by yourself. This game is functioning as it has always intended and this means the unskilled aren't getting fluke games that fuel their ego.

• 24. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
                Highwayman0226

Yup!  I guess it's not fun when people can actually kill you and you can't spray your way to 60-4.

• 25. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
                  brsox

Fun is in the eye of the beholder. I think to make a game fun for everyone, they need to give all play styles the same chance of success. Camping, tactical hiding, slow playing, whatever you want to call it, is by far the best and easiest way to play Ghosts. This leaves a lot of people not having fun with the game. Personally, I enjoy run n gun, headless chicken type of play. I try adapting my classes to deal with all the (what I consider) cheap garbage and all I end up with is a boring class. This game has more custom class options than ever before which sounds great on paper. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these setups aren't useful since you are forced to use so many counters.

• 26. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
                    Highwayman0226

I can get on board with you about not having much to do.  The only real thing to earn was the ghillie suit.  I like the game a lot, but the point system and the prestige system is kind of dry.  The only thing that unlocks with levels is the perks, which you can just unlock whenever you want anyway.  Your matches might be a bit different if incog and otg couldn't be used by anyone til lv 50s.  Then once you are at 60, you'd have to decide if you want to give up your stronger perks and start all over again.  Ghosts doesn't make you earn anything, and you don't sacrifice a thing when you "prestige".

Forgot to mention gun attachments.  I prefer a system when the first time you use the gun, it's either stripped or just one or two attachments available.  Again, your matches might play out differently if you need 2000 kills with the weapon to unlock that thermal scope.  I'm not really for or against how it is now, I just find it more fun having to use a crappy gun, and earning levels on it to make it awesome.

• 27. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
                      Highwayman0226

Some people embrace change, others reject it.

• 28. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
                        Izjar11

ghamorra wrote:

It's pretty simple Ego, in Black Ops II and MW3 you had kids going out trying to get 100+ gameplays, double MOABs, and whatever else ridiculous achievements which only proved they were exploiting flaws in the game.

Now you have Ghosts. An all-around well performing game with great balance and performance. Now players are more evenly matched. There's not some invincible guy in God mode destroying everyone and you can no longer control a match by yourself. This game is functioning as it has always intended and this means the unskilled aren't getting fluke games that fuel their ego.

So your saying were all playing at an almost level playing field, and that those who complain do so because they suck?

• 29. Re: The "Fun" Debate or another excuse.
                          C_CHRIS11

I have said this thousands of times but I will repeat it again.

Happiness, in this case fun, is a different thing for each person. There are so many types of fun as there are people.

Fun for me is to try to master the game. Winning all the time is not essential.

I have fun and I enjoy a game even if I lose it but I have done all that I could in the game to make the life difficult to the opposing team.

Also more fun in a game is to try to win the different play styles that there are in the games. If I find a camper what will make me happy is to bust his balls by finding him and killing him. If I see a run and gun gay I will camp and wait for him to come running in my line of sight.

Outsmarting the tactics of my opponents gives me great fun as well as satisfaction.

Now as you say people complain that they have lost the fun in the game. But from their post most of the time we see that what they mean by fun is that other players should play the way they want. If they don't play they don't like it and it stops to be fun for them.

What we should all remember is that games are made for fun and pleasure and this is how we all should deal with them.

One thing is for sure. When a game stops been fun for me I will never touch it again.

So should other people.