34 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 6:03 AM by starbuckfrack RSS

Season Pass Scam

Goresh14

Today I decided to purchase the Season Pass for Ghosts so I bought a $50 gift card. I was very suprised to see this was not enough money when I attempted to buy the Season Pass. It seems Microsoft are now charging tax but refuse to say how much. It appears they expect me to buy another $15 dollar gift card to purchase this DLC, this is not going to happen.

• Re: Season Pass Scam

I bought one and it says tax but there isn't.

dukeskywalkert

I got my season pass for £15($10)!

appledaniel

when i bought mine at gamestop it was $56.00 total at the end. lists for 49.99 plus tax.  we have a 9.25 percent sales tax here. so tax on 49.99 should have been around $4.60, so im not sure where they are getting their tax from.  i was taxed 6.01 when i bought the season pass here in USA.

Goresh14

I agree that it should be charged at the place of purchase (of the gift card) and not by the Microsoft Store. Atleast this way I know I'm paying the correct tax. Now I'm sure this topic could be argued its not a COD issue but I'd like to point out, I will not be buying the season pass because of this under handed business practice and Activision should take notice.

Goresh14

As for the over payment in taxes I'd be getting in touch with your state tax officals, a $2 dollar over charge doesn't sound like much but it adds up if its widespread. Someone is getting that money and I doubt its the state.

DalekonDrugs

Only ever buy them from good sources like amazon NEVER buy the pass from digital till they are cheaper.

JTerk498

I get charged tax on every transaction I make on Xbox Live. Sucks, but it is what it is. I noticed this when they switched from Points to the currency deal. My state charges 6% sales tax on most goods, electronics and such, and 7% tax on groceries, so paying tax on Xbox sucks, but I'm used to it. So it is not a scam, just the government wanting their cut from electronic purchases... If you don't like it, go to Best Buy and get the season pass card, they don't charge tax on DLC cards... At least not here.

starbuckfrack

There is no scam. They say on the XBL Marketplace that you must also pay tax.

If you want to talk about someone scamming you you might want to talk to the other seller that sold you that card.

Oh no wait, he didnt scam you wither cause you didnt buy a 55 dollar card you bought a FIFTY dollar card.

Its not their fault you didnt prepare yourself for the amount of money needed.

Tactics74

Can't believe they charge $50 for 4 maps and a gun. Especially since these maps were made pre-release and half the current maps are complete garbage..

mmkaho

dont buy a card use a credit card and take it straight out....

phxs72

Credit cards allow you to purchase things for the exact amount.  So if you choose to use a gift card then you have to deal with the issues of not being able to purchase gift cards for that specific amount.  It is and has always been the downside of using a gift card.

As to the taxes in general, that really isn't up to Microsoft to decide.  They are obligated by law to assess taxes regionally and as such the list price that they show in the store is the same as you would see going into in other store in your country.  To expect them to display several hundred list prices to account for all of the various tax codes would be a bit confusing don't you think?

Bought with a 50$ gift card no problem.  Had a $0 balance before.  Not sure what you are smoking over there.

nicedrewishfela

How is charging tax as mandated by the government a scam?

PatMoran

Read the back of that card. It says its a $50 Xbox money card & more stupid stuff about tax.

Must be different based on what state your account is registered in.  Mine and a friend is in FL, no tax was applied.  A friend in Ohio got charged an extra 10%.

starbuckfrack

Its might not be where your gamertag is in, its where you bought the Card. Buying the card is based on the sellers location.

I am pretty sure Microsoft runs their tax according to the tax laws in Washington State where you are buying the Marketplace Items from. I am not sure but in both Seattle area and Texas I have had to pay taxes on all purchases since I got my Xbox 360.

I know places like Amazon will not charge you tax if you are from Oregon for example OR if they have some kind of deal set up with the state. Like for example in July (2012 or 2013) Amazon finally started charging sales tax on customers in Texas.

Now I am not sure on this but I THINK when you buy a card that is one transaction. So the tax paid is the sellers tax you have to pay and not yours. Like for example you buy a 50 dollar card you only got 50 dollars in XBL credit but the taxes you paid dont count. so its possible that you still have to pay taxes to Microsoft for a separate transaction.

Thing is now though they dont really sell points cards hardly anymore they only sell monetary cards. In either case if you buy a 50 dollar card then you only bought 50 dollars, you didnt buy 54.30 cents (about)

just one of the problems people have to consider now that they went away from points to dollar amounts. Even if you do or dont pay tax on the card you only bought a 50 dollar card.

BTW some sales places will charge a fee so that extra 2 dollars you paid is justified. If they didnt charge you a fee then they wouldnt make any money.

BEST place to buy those cards are on Amazon dot com where they discount them. But most people will just save the hassle and buy directly from the XBL Marketplace where there are no such things as 2.00 fees, etc.

starbuckfrack

Will I be taxed on the content that I buy in Xbox stores?

We will not apply taxes when you purchase content using currency that we add to your account at the time of the transition. However, when you use currency that you add to your account after the transition (including from Xbox gift cards), all appropriate taxes will be applied to those purchases.

The above was the transition from points to currency. After you old points currency was used up (lets say 320 points turned into 4 bucks) from that point on all purchases after that point was taxed.

So lets say you had 320 points converted to cash during that transition. and lets just assume it turned into 4 dollars cash.

If you bought something that was 50 dollars from the Marketplace area of the console you would only be charged taxes on 46 of those dollars.

starbuckfrack

Sorry additional post.

MORE

The final price for purchases made using your Microsoft account is calculated the same way as purchases made using other payment methods like a credit or debit card, which are also subject to applicable taxes in most countries. This means that you must have enough money in your account to cover both the retail price posted by a Microsoft store and any associated tax unless you live in a country where tax is collected at the point of sale when you purchase a gift card (e.g., Taiwan, Denmark, and Sweden).

Now I will say this. SOME places are stupid they arent actually ALLOWED to charge tax but yet they do. Like for example one convenience store will charge you tax on a bag of chips while the other store wont. (based on stores that still dont have scanners)

idyb

Don't you pay tax when you buy the gift card? You always paid tax upfront when you bought Microsoft Point cards. Just like Microsoft to over complicate things for no reason. -_-

Goresh14

My lord, let me try to explain this again, ITS NOT THE TAXES I"M UPSET ABOUT!! I live in a country that taxes everything, I'm use to taxes. What I don't like is WHEN the taxes are applied. I honestly feel it makes more sense to tax the card and not the purchases made with the card. I also don't trust any company that does not disclose the amount of tax it expects me to pay. Adding taxes to a purchase is not new and it should be, by law, shown at the checkout of any online purchase. There is also no difference between the monetary system and the points system. Most purchases using the points system fell between the amounts you could actually buy, forcing you to always buy more than you actually needed. Its the same thing with the money gift cards now. The way things are priced you will need to buy another card just to cover tax. I've read online that this is also affecting yearly gold membership cards. You can nolonger buy such a card and enter the code and get a one year gold membership. You will need to have enough money in your account to cover the taxes.

Now some of you suggested using a credit card, I use to. I also tried to remove said credit card from my account and found it was a royal pain in the arse. I'll not go down that road again. I will now leave the floor for all those that cannot comprehend what they have just read but really do prefer a civil, to the point reply. Have a great day!!

starbuckfrack

Goresh14 wrote:

I also don't trust any company that does not disclose the amount of tax it expects me to pay. Adding taxes to a purchase is not new and it should be, by law, shown at the checkout of any online purchase. There is also no difference between the monetary system and the points system. Most purchases using the points system fell between the amounts you could actually buy, forcing you to always buy more than you actually needed. Its the same thing with the money gift cards now. The way things are priced you will need to buy another card just to cover tax. I've read online that this is also affecting yearly gold membership cards. You can nolonger buy such a card and enter the code and get a one year gold membership. You will need to have enough money in your account to cover the taxes.

Now some of you suggested using a credit card, I use to. I also tried to remove said credit card from my account and found it was a royal pain in the arse. I'll not go down that road again. I will now leave the floor for all those that cannot comprehend what they have just read but really do prefer a civil, to the point reply. Have a great day!!

And another quote "It seems Microsoft are now charging tax"

The final price for purchases made using your Microsoft account is calculated the same way as purchases made using other payment methods like a credit or debit card, which are also subject to applicable taxes in most countries. This means that you must have enough money in your account to cover both the retail price posted by a Microsoft store and any associated tax unless you live in a country where tax is collected at the point of sale when you purchase a gift card (e.g., Taiwan, Denmark, and Sweden).

Says so right there. Microsoft has ALWAYS charged tax for items purchased using a monetary value. You ALREADY would have paid tax at the store on a points card. Hence the reason you didnt have to pay tax using those points at the Marketplace.

Microsoft has ALWAYS charged you tax on monetary based items on the Xbox. When you bought 800 points you were charged 10 dollars PLUS TAX on the marketplace. When you bought a gift card, guess what you had to pay tax on that gift card when you bought it, hence the reason you didnt have to pay tax when you actually used the points. When you bought 800 points off a seller you were ALSO charged 10.00 PLUS TAX. When you bought the 50 dollar card you WERENT charged tax but you had to be charged somewhere.

Tell me. When you go to the cookie aisle in the supermarket does the tag in front say 2.95 PLUS TAX ? No it doesnt. It says 2.95. It doesnt say tax amount on it. You have to figure out tax on your own. If you only assumed it was going to be 3 dollars and only bought 3 dollars with you then whose fault is that you didnt figure tax ?

Even if the tax was two cent you STILL would have needed to buy more to cover the one extra penny. So the amount of tax was the problem. You assumed that the cost of the marketplace item was 49.95 just like the cookie example. You were wrong.

You should have been prepared for that.

Taxes ARE shown at the checkout upon purchase. It says so right on the payment screen.

Goresh14

Wow, I am really amazed at how you miss my point. you are too focused on trying to make me look the fool but only prove a failing education system does exists. Could a moderator please lock this thread as it appears its going nowhere.

starbuckfrack

Let me repeat it again for the slow people...

"I also don't trust any company that does not disclose the amount of tax it expects me to pay."

When you go to the cookie aisle in the supermarket does the tag in front say 2.95 PLUS TAX ? No it doesnt. It says 2.95. It doesnt say tax amount on it. You have to figure out tax on your own. If you only assumed it was going to be 3 dollars and only bought 3 dollars with you then whose fault is that you didnt figure tax ?

You posted here that you only bought a 50 dollar card THEN found out there was tax on it, HENCE the reason for your topic. YOU did not figure in the tax. HENCE the quote from the back of the points card you ignore and the Microsoft website.

does the cookie tag tell you how much tax you have to pay ? No. So why do you go shopping for food if they dont tell you right up front either about the taxes you pay ?

So why dont you use you fancy edumacation to tell us the problem you REALLY have because you keep changing your tune.

Problem if it IS a failing education system is YOU didnt count tax in om it.

You said that they didnt tell you there was tax on it on the XBL marketplace and they DID tell you. Did you see 49.95(1) next to it ? Well those fancy edumacations would have told you that you need to look on that page to find out what the (1) means . And next to the (1) it SAYS plus tax.

so tell me what point didnt we cover here ? What are you trying to say ?

starbuckfrack

"What I don't like is WHEN the taxes are applied."

WHEN you buy a pack of cookies the taxes are applied.

WHEN you ACTUALLY bought the Season Paas taxes were applied.

You buying the card was ONE transaction . You ENTERING the code into the Xbox was NOT a transaction. You entered the code from the card TOTALING 50 dollars . That was it. You got the credit you paid for was 50 dollars. Entering the code into your Xbox was NOT a transaction.

Buying the Season Pass was ANOTHER SEPARATE transaction. Regardless if you used a points card number or not you STILL didnt have enough money. It was your fault you went to the checkout with only 50 dollars on you.

HENCE the reason you should have been prepared.

You are right this post shouldnt even be here. This isnt a Ghosts issue its a XBOX LIVE issue. You even wasted your time posting it here.