29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 2:48 PM by Bubbakush RSS

Ignition: Countdown to Disappointment?

nicedrewishfela

While I am looking forward to the DLC, there is one map in particular I am just not looking forward to and that I just can't seem to get excited about.

Now before  I begin.... NO, I haven't played Ignition. And yes... I will play it and give it a shot and could very well end up enjoying it.

But the fact of the matter is... While I haven't played Ignition before.. I HAVE played this map before, and so have you, hundreds if not thousands of times if you ever played MW2. It's Scrapyard... a re-skin...yes... but Scrapyard nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Scrapyard... in MW2. But the fact of the matter is, I don't want a re-skin. I am enjoying the new maps and don't want 25% of my new content to be a rehash. Just watched some game play of the map... and despite the face lift it is pretty much identical.

Maybe I am just jaded... but watching this footage I just pictured people going right back to their old habits in MW2. I could see people camping in the same spots, knowing the spawns, exploiting the same cover, etc... etc.

Am I alone in this sentiment? Is anyone else disappointed that we are already getting a retread in the first DLC? Are you excited for it... and if so.. why? Asking in advance to please keep it civil.

• Re: Ignition: Countdown to Disappointment?
          NoLifeKing32

Its harder to tell with Ghosts because while Nuketown and Firing Range played the exact same in BO2 as they did in BO1, those games had the fun gamemodes that made those maps great. Ghosts doesn't, its really lacking in the game modes department and new maps aren't going to make the game modes any better. That said I think people will enjoy Scrapyard in Ghosts because there is a lot less of the BS that came with playing it in MW2. Personally I am not buying the DLC tomorrow for a lot of reasons, namely I'm broke, but also because IW thus far has only talked about Upcoming Improvements, we still haven't seen anything from them. I'm very surprised there wasn't a patch before the DLC.

nicedrewishfela

Wouldn't be surprised to see one before the DLC is actually released, as far as patches go.

You could be right about enjoying it more due to a lack of the  MW2 nonsense, just for I can see people going right back to their same bad habits.

dayoldtamales

Dude.

People learn the good spots and the spawns, even for new maps, within a couple days. You can't use that as an excuse. People will play unfair and exploit anything they can because it is a game. And in games you play to win. You are soooo against old maps but the fact of the matter is old maps, even though familiar and not new, are still light years ahead of newer ones in terms of creativity, and the fun factor that we are all robbed of in recent titles. A lot of people might not like paying for old maps, but a lot more people want them and wouldn't care to pay. Including me. Therefore, IW adds them because we want them, and they want money. It isn't 25% of your map pack. There are four maps, an Extinction map, and two new weapons. Ignition will be just one item out of seven. Do the math please and thank you. You get a lot of content and for a great price, and this is only the first pack of FOUR. Not to mention there could be tons of micro items coming. Case closed.

nicedrewishfela

1 map out of 4 Multi-player Maps = 25%.  Which is what I was referring to.

And not using anything as an "excuse". When Treyarch brought back Firing Range, my first match was outstanding. Why? Because I already knew where to look. It was just like going back to a game I spent Days and Days and Days playing already. I loved that map... IN BLACK OPS. I didn't need to have it again. It was great in it's context... and while I had my fun playing it in BO2, I would rather have had something new.

Sure, people learn the new maps as well. But it often takes time to do so, and to burn out on them. While I haven't played as much this time around due to real life getting in the way, I have found that nearly every match I see something new.  By the time this game's life-cycle is over, I am sure I will be ready for a new game, new maps, new challenges.. And personally I don't want the precedent to be set (as it already has, sadly) that I will be seeing old maps return yet again out of context in another new game.

As I stated, I will play it, and do my best to enjoy it (who knows, I may just love it), just watching the video there was no connection or excitement for me. I had seen it all already.

dayoldtamales

You said "I don't want 25% of my new content to be a rehash". Should have specified yes? I wouldn't have brought it up.

As for the rest, people like old maps. Rather they are played out or not, I'd rather play a familiar map than a new one, if the familiar one is LOADS better. Which is usually the case these days.

You hate rehashes. I don't. Good thing I'm getting what I want. And before you protest what I just said, look at yourself. This thread, and really any comment you make about old maps, is always centered around what YOU want. Maybe other people want old maps. That's how supply and demand works. Consumers want it. Developers provide it. That's what they do. They look at the large masses before they look at individual people, if they ever look at individual people to begin with, *cough* MOAR HARDCORE! *cough*

iHattoriHanzo0

It all comes down to being able to spawn at C domination and still be able to get 6 kills with danger close semtex from the get go at A.

Gerbera

I can understand both sides.

On one end you have those who simply want (specific) old maps brought back for nostalgic purposes simply because they enjoyed playing on those maps in the older games.

On the other end, not every CoD game plays the exact same way as the previous game that that map came from and, depending on what's changed and how that map was used before, that map may not work nearly as well in the present game or may even make some things "too good"/"useless" that otherwise wouldn't be that big/bad in the past (Perks, Streaks, etc).

So maybe instead of bringing back maps based on pure popularity, the developers should also consider the various mechanics of the present game.

nicedrewishfela

That, to me, is a huge consideration. I often use the term "In it's context' when talking about old maps. Maps we loved were great in their context. They worked in COD4, WaW, MW2, etc... but when you put them into a new game, they don't always fit. Take Terminal, for instance. Worked in the insanity that was MW2 because if the other team camped it up inside, you could bomb them out with Tubes, etc. With the changes implemented in MW3, it just never seemed to fit.

At least it was free.

I keep all my old games, if I feel nostalgic I go back and play them.

I love reskins. To be honest, I absolutely dread the "getting to know the map" period when playing a new map for the first time!

But, would you still mind if IW brought in a Resurgence or Stimulus map from MW2, like Salvage? I bet not a lot of people played those maps and the people that have, have only played it for not that long.

nicedrewishfela

Not a fan, as I have told you in various threads.

Games are meant to challenge, and when you remove the challenge you remove a lot of the fun. I am glad folks are enjoying the re-skin, if they are, but as I have stated before, I'd rather have a new map to get to know and either love or hate.

Thank God the majority of people don't share your ludicrous opinions! If it up to you, you'd do something foolish like turning it into a Rugby FPS hybrid game and then backing it by saying "It's challenging like how games should be."

nicedrewishfela

Ludicrous, eh?

Again you make a statement you can't back up.

The "Getting to know the map" Phase, as iHattoriHanzo0 points out, to me, is the best time to play. People are still learning, exploring the maps. Nobody has an advantage over anyone else, we are all noobs. I personally enjoy the process of figuring out my strategy on each map and learning it's ins and outs. Maps begin to burn out for me when every game because repetitive, as people do the same things over and over again.

When an old map is re-introduced... that is what you get. The same people, doing the same things, over and over again. Bad habits reborn. That is why I am not a fan of re-skins.

NoLifeKing32

Thats a pathetic post, just because you dread the new maps doesn't mean other people do. Your opinion is yours alone you do not represent a "majority" or a "minority." I think exploring the new maps is fun, I even had fun exploring Studio in BO2 because it actually was a fantastic reskin. That said, my first live game on Studio, 37-5.

iHattoriHanzo0

I really enjoy the "getting to know the map" period. Its actually the best feeling I get from the life of a map. Thats also the reason I don't like re-skins. I play a lot. So I already have an ingrained sub conscious idea of what paths to take.

I actually played the heck out of Salvage and loved it. It was my go to map for double claymore kills to unlock the Rhino emblem.

Unknown-3.jpeg

But that just it. We are all different. For the soldiers new to CoD, a re-skin is a new map. But to me, its repetitive and played out.

Re-hashed/Re-skinned maps are ok in my book..... ONLY if they are FREE!!!

We already paid for those maps before why should we need to repay for them.

I will fork over my money for new maps any day, but feel robbed paying twice for any map....

Bubbakush

It plays out exactly like it did on MW2. Also I'm one of the people that hate re-skins it's shows lazy from the devs especially on there first DLC. Honestly they could of made 4 new maps and of they want to remake old maps give us a whole map pack of re-skins at least then you can chose do you want new or old not here its 4 "new" maps when in reality it's 3 maps and a re-skin