30 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2014 3:33 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Why are riot shields indestructible?

JBZ_88

I understand they should be able to take a certain amount of damage, but at some point bullets should start ripping through them and the player (behind the riot shield) should start taking significant damage (and possibly get killed if they're damaged enough just like a non riot shield player). The way things are with the riot shields right now, the game is unfair and imbalanced.  It gives too much of an advantage to players who use riot shields. I think an adjustment should be made to make the playing field even.

• Re: Why are riot shields indestructible?
          cranium2001

Aim for the feet.

JBZ_88

I already know about aiming at body parts that are exposed, but it's not always that easy to get the chance to shoot an exposed part if the riot shield holder is crouching and in the right position (esp. head on). I just don't like how the riot shields are a bit too unrealistic & it automatically gives it's holder a greater advantage. I know somethings will be a little different than real life, it's just that a riot shield should have some kind of limit to what it can withstand.

Fang_1192

No. You have clearly never used a riot shield in game.

Tommy92gunner

Actually I don't think he's even played MW2, leave him be, trying to incite realism in COD, I salute that guy lol

HEREIAMNOW

Or he used the riot shield in mw3 and broke controllers. 

JBZ_88

I posted this to share my opinion with IW. I don't need foolish replies from some immature message board posters with nothing better to do with their time than to stalk message boards looking for a reason to spread their ignorance in text format. And I clearly stated that I know the game isn't going to be realistic, but everything should have some kind of limit. I'm sure someone from IW will comprehend my post and that's all that matters.

Fang_1192

This is a discussion board and you are attacking a playstyle people like to use. We have just as many privileges to post as you do. Also, if it weren't for us, your post wouldn't even be visible. It would just get buried under the mountain of other threads. But hey, flame all the immature board members you like, that will go over real well with the moderators. Your idea is stupid.

Firesens

His idea isn't stupid, he just doesn't know how to explain it that well. IMO the shield should degrade over time, or AP rounds should be able to penetrate just like how they penetrate through other surfaces like brick, wood, trees, and metal. All the Shield is, is ballistic plastic, glass, and metal. It shouldn't be indestructible, and it should have a bit more counters.

Fang_1192

The counter is flanking, or using explosives thrown around the shield. The idea to make the Shield penetrable makes the shield useless.

Firesens

They destroyed the flanking tactic when they decided to add a portable radar. The real only counter to a riot shield is explosives but that is only one. It needs more than one.

Either make the shield degrade over time like I said before or they could easily add 2 more loadouts to your character so you can have a class set up for every situation.

The point of the Riot shield was supposed to be a support tactic but in Ghosts people are playing aggressively with it and are attacking instead of supporting. The Riot shield for some reason has become an offensive weapon not a defensive weapon. It actually wouldn't be so bad if riot shielders actually used the riot shield for once to get their kills, instead of the overused setup we should all know as C4, Danger Close, Reflex, Extra Lethal, and Strong arm.

JBZ_88

I explained it well, but some people obviously have a low level of comprehension, don't read all that is posted to get the whole story or they just refuse to think someone else might have a better point than them. So then they hate on anybody who wants to share an opinion that's in opposition to theirs. How much more did I need to break it down? Is it that hard to understand what I said? This is simply a case of people who use riot shields that are getting defensive, taking my words out of context and other forms of nonsense. Look, I said it before and I'll say it again. I don't expect the game to be realistic (and I'm cool with that), but it should have limitations in regards to to things like an indestructible riot shield or anything else that is more suited for a Marvel or DC comic book character. Wow, some people really need to chill out.

Gerbera

...because it's a game not THAT rooted in realism?

nicedrewishfela

To be balanced, they have to take bullet damage. The balance is, you can aim for areas not covered with the shield or use explosives.

I'd recommend trying to use one and you'd see why.

I can understand your point of view and I do agree with you. They should break after a set number of shots, or have a slight vulnerability to armor piercing rounds where after a set number of shots they take enough damage and die. But those who use them or like them wont ever want it for then their playstyle would be less effective.

It is the same as how QS defende QS needs to be in the game when it does not. The same how knifers say the knife needs to always be a one hit kill anywhere when it does not.

I am surprised RS uers have not ever yet complained for and demanded an extra attachment that protects them from explosives even more when it is out. Or the right to have two attachments or shields.. So they could have a RS with both radar and jammer.. or two RS with one in front and back at all times.

Fang_1192

Seriously hope you are trolling. You are talking about making a weapon useless.

Quickscoping is a debatable exploit. Sniper Rifles are meant to be long range and having them effective at all ranges has an impact on balance and variety. It is nothing like the current Riot Shield "debate." The Riot Shield has to block bullets or it loses its primary function.

If RS users want more explosive protection we can use Blast Shield. We should have two attachments or at least would be able to if there was more than one mod category for the riot shield. It's only fair, every other primary in the game has two free attachments. Having two riot shields is a running joke.

Would you like your weapon to disintegrate with no hope of recovering it? That doesn't seem like a fun game mechanic to me.

Gerbera

That's because there is really nothing wrong with the Riot Shield in of itself. It never was. If people were running around with the Riot Shield alone, I can guarantee that there would be very few, if any, complaints. The REAL problem people have is the C4 (and Perks) because that's what's actually doing the killing.

The only way I could see the Riot Shield made destructible would be if it were made into equipment or something, but since it's a primary weapon, there's no point. Otherwise, it would be completely unfair to have it as the only primary weapon that can break unless they changed how the guns worked and made them overheat and/or jam, thus causing them to break too and forcing you to pick up another weapon to replace it, and I'm sure as hell NO ONE would want that.

OCPayne

OK so from reading this you think that having some ones only primary weapon destroy or have AP be able to penetrate it is a good idea? It just defeats the purpose of the class. This is obviously coming from some one who has never used a shield in game and is completely unaware of how easy it is to die to a lucky bullet in the knee or foot shots (EVEN WHEN CROUCHED!).

maccabi

shoot shield so shield user cant see clearly.. walk to the side at your leisure shoot shield user.

job done