29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 7:03 AM by SirBeck58 RSS

Headshots Completely Missing on Standstill Enemies

thaesino

I have been a sniper for long enough now (since MW2) to know that what has been happening to me lately is DEFINITELY an issue with Ghosts alone. Somehow - and I really don't know how - it has been 3 games straight today with different players (though this has happened to me during the week), where I fire at someone who is camping and no matter what I try, when I attempt to get a headshot, the bullet does not hit them. I can try over and over and the bullets just won't f***ing hit them. I would understand if this were a connection problem, but it isn't. If the players were moving when I was firing, I would shut up. But it almost seems like some problem is making some of the sniper rifles pretty damn useless. This only started happening maybe about 4 days ago. I just can pinpoint what it could be. If someone else is having the same problem, your thoughts would be appreciated.

This is my set up:

USR with Ready Up, Sleight of Hand, On the Go, Steady Aim, Quickdraw, and Focus. No attachments equipped on my USR, and no Secondary or Lethals/Tacticals.

Lynx and/or VKS with EXACTLY the same set up.

To add a thought. It seems to happen specifically when the enemy is crouched behind something, and even though their head is completely out, I can't get a shot, no matter what I try.

• Re: Headshots Completely Missing on Standstill Enemies

try using Thermal Scope and Armor Piercing seems to make the USR pin point in on it but i tried using my class which runs the same set up and it was as if the sway had increased because just after the update my USR dropped from a 55% hit ratio and has been missing more then usual

thaesino

I'm going to try, because it's seriously getting on my nerves. It happened today again in one of the matches, and the other team completely sucked, but even though I got a high kill count, I was killed a bunch of times due to the same stupid thing. It forces me to snipe, and then run for cover elsewhere because I just revealed my location without a kill to show for it.

stop complaining! Sniper rifles are OP since MW2

thaesino

If by "OP" you actually mean to be whining about Quick Scoping, then that doesn't belong in this conversation. We're trying to keep it civilized. Sniper rifles cannot actually be OPed because honestly, getting shot by a sniper rifle in real life would kill you.

I get that the game's physics aren't fair when it comes to Quick Scoping, but I'm talking about patiently crouching or going prone here, and taking the time to hold your breath and making sure the target is being caught by surprise, and STILL missing, regardless of all this with a SR that is supposedly the best in Accuracy ratings from its class.

Now... if you want to talk about overpowered. Here's what I have to say. Since MW2, SRs have never killed someone when hitting below the waist (unless they were already hurt) or when hitting their arms. Again... and this is VERY important. If they are already hurt, even sniping the tip of their foot will kill them.

I'm pointing this out because I recently read about someone whining in another post about how sniper shots are killing people by just hitting their legs and how they're so OPed, when the person probably just didn't realize that they were hurt already from either jumping or from another shot.

Even if you were just hit by a 9-Bang... you HAVE BEEN HURT and ONE SHOT from a SR will most definitely kill you, no matter where it hits.

thaesino

I tried the Thermal Scope and Armor Piercing with both the VKS and the USR.

Ran into the same problem regardless, after a while.

It happened while I was trying to hit someone hiding in the broken up two-story house in Stonehaven. And it happened in Strikezone while I was trying to hit someone hiding by the dining booths in the restaurant. You know... the place where campers like to crouch behind those boxes and poke their little head out.

I have a feeling that the last one may have something to do with a separate problem, though. As I have always had problems hitting people on their face with a sniper rifle, when they are poking their head out of a wall, window, or other object. Such as people who poke their head from behind the water wheel in Whiteout.

Just a thought, and don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes I shoot at team mates if their name isn't displayed and curse the fact they won't die...

Only to laugh when their name does finally appear, and cry for my wasted rounds...

Usually when they are behind cover or camping...

This may not be the case for you of course...

DeeJay85

Sometimes it just comes down to Lag.

I was playing Hardcore Team Deathmatch today and found an AFK opponent in their spawn area, I aimed my gun directly at the head for an easy head shot to no avail. The first shot completely missed... I am not sure how I will assume lag but I didn't miss the second time from the same distance.

Spawn protection glitch?

Goresh14

Your not alone in seeing this. Infact I stopped using my sniper class completely and switched to an assault rifle only to find the same thing happening with it. I'm convinced its the match making as I noticed yesterday 90% of the TDM matches I was in were UK and European.

Vulcan Hades

This isn't just for headshots afaik. It has happened to me when I was shooting their chest.

This seems to happen a lot more on the Stonehaven Map for some reason.

Bielsalmighty

I've heard some experienced snipers say that the Lynx has a tendency to shoot blanks. I've had a few WTF moments, but they were on moving targets and likely just garden variety lag incidents, not actually experienced a genuine missing bullet moment myself. Will keep my eye out for one when I'm next using it though.

BU773TPROOF

Its a lag thing, it happened to me all last week, then I saw a guy morph across the screen 30 feet. I played Tomb Raider for therest of the night. Logged on two nights after and things were OK.

Vulcan Hades

It's not always lag though. It's lag when you and/or your target are moving.

When he's sitting still and you're sitting still it's not lag lol. It's clearly a bug where your shots go right through them. It could also be bad clipping on some parts of some maps. But that doesn't explain when it happens and there's no obstacle in between.

Goresh14

There is clearly something wrong with the snipers, I played a round today where I lined my shot up, fired with no result, found myself dead because my shot showed my position. Heres where it gets weird though, in the killcam you clearly see my shot, 20ft over his head. If this was lag he would have had to be flying for me to aim that high. Something is buggered but I'm not holding my breath it will get fixed.

Bielsalmighty

Killcams are never accurate, especially with regards to tracers etc etc. Most likely you experienced the mysterious disappearing bullet phenomonon...

Goresh14

While I understand about killcam accuracy, when a shot to a stationary opponent misses and the killcam shows your shot 20ft over his head, theres is a hint of accuracy in the fact I missed. Had this been apparent since day one I'd blame myself or lag but this has come about in a matter of a day. Something has changed in the game and its affecting some shots. It might be noted also this isn't the case with all opponents.

Bielsalmighty

Could be myriad reasons, but killcams are so wonky with regards to tracer graphics its not even worth citing them. Thunder posted a rage-video which was picked to pieces on this subject.

Goresh14

Just tried Ghost on the PS3 for the last couple hours, sniper rifles work perfectly, just like the Xbox did afew days ago. Something is very buggered, and I hope they sort this soon!

thaesino

Yes. Clearly it came with that update that was released on both the PS3 and 360 versions prior to Onslaught's release on the 360 and XboxOne.

And I just verified today. It is STILL happening. I played 6 matches. Everything was fine. I was even quick scoping without fail except when I sucked at it or reacted too late.

Then suddenly, there I was with my Lynx in Freight. There was a guy poking his head out of the tunnel on the southern side. He kept shooting at me and hitting me as I kept missing him even though I was firing at his head. I would back up and heal and go back and again... he basically just threw a cooked grenade and killed me after I was hurt enough.

If it wasn't for the fact that this is my sniping squad-mate and that I am at level 58, I would've stopped sniping already. But I really want to prestige again already, so I can move on to my marksman squad-mate. Let's hope the same problem doesn't affect me there.

xxxharveystjockxxx

noticed that when the wth moments in engagements start happening, the ones where you swear you clearly got the kill and still die start happening, most of my deaths are from head shots even if they are hip firing at your waist, as if its some kind of default.  just strange... 

riksterinto

I've also encountered issues when sniping people that are in a crouched position.  I think the hit boxes get messed up when they are crouched. When people are crouched I always get hit markers even though I hit dead centre or like you, my shot will oddly not even register a hit marker when I had their head lined up in my sights.

I always use chrome lined and armour piercing rounds with the USR.

JetEye

Accuracy is reduced with the Chrome-lined barrel, so even if you are aiming right on their head and they are not moving, you may not get a headshot.

thaesino

What you're saying to "riksterinto" is true, but that still does not explain the overall problem that different people are having.

For example, in my case, I make sure not to use the Chrome Barrel because it really does diminish accuracy by a huge percentage.

But to be clear and to defend rikster's point here... I have used the Chrome Barrel when the game first came out, and if I was not moving and the enemy was not moving and they weren't TOO far... you know, somewhere between 50 and 30 paces away (just throwing an estimate)... I would hit them without fail.

Yesterday I was in a match in Stonehaven, and someone went crazy after I shot them and ranted in the lobby about how he had been shooting at me for like 10 seconds without a single hit even though I was crouching on the burning house's roof. He thought it was his connection but after telling him my experience with the issue, he brought up that it was the very first time it had happened to him and that it made no sense.

Chrome Barrel or not, there is definitely an issue going on with the game which was not there before this last update they released prior to Onslaught. No one knows what it is, and I really hope it gets fixed.

riksterinto

Chrome line penalty adds more idle sway and recoil but it doesn't penalize you when you have someone's head or torso lined up perfectly.  This always happens when someone is crouched up against a wall for some reason. It never happens when they are standing, moving or prone.

thaesino

I hadn't noticed that. This is very true. It has never happened to me when they are standing still in the wide open... except the one time it happened when the person had spawned but hadn't moved. In this case, they were right in the middle of an open space, and yet, I couldn't hit them.

But if the player is just trying to hide right in the middle of an open space while prone, like so many people try doing, then I have hit them without a problem.

Good catch there!

SirBeck58

I have noticed this as well. Its always enemies that have no idea they are in my scope, yet I still miss. I have missed 6 shots in a row at a sitting enemy, and I don't usually miss 6 shots as my accuracy is about 24.1% at the moment. So missing a sitting enemy is very rare for me, yet it happens to me atleast once a night.