1 2 3 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2014 9:38 PM by xXMJIOLNIRXx RSS

My Secret Life as a Sniper

nicedrewishfela

Let me start this thread by stating I have never been a great, or maybe even good, sniper. This discussion isn't really meant for the "L337" snipers, but if you have something positive to add to the discussion, by all means please do.

I am not much of a sniper by my own admission. I have tried it off and on in previous CoDs to varying levels of success, but I have just never had the patience or affinity for it.

With all the discussions lately about the Ghillie Suit, and snipers in general, however... I decided to put my money where my mouth is and give the Snipers a shot (pun most definitely intended). I set a goal for myself to earn the Ghillie Suit... and while it may take me until the next CoD is released to finish this challenge I figure I don't have the right to complain about Snipers until I do it myself.

So, here is what I have learned as a Sniper in this game.

1) People HATE snipers. They just hate hate hate getting killed by Snipers, period. I have begun to really enjoy the screams of the vanquished in my ear after each kill, especially on the handful of collateral kills I have gotten recently.

2) Earning a kill with a Sniper is incredibly satisfying. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the kills I get in this game, but there is something just fulfilling about dropping someone with a well placed shot; I'd rank it up there with Shotgun kills.

3) The act of sniping isn't all that difficult, but the act of being a sniper is. Let's be honest, the Sniper Rifles in this game aren't hard to handle. You point, and shoot. While moving targets can be an issue at times, especially if you miss your first shot... you don't have to account for wind or bullet drop or anything else. You aim it right, the shot will hit. What IS hard, however... is getting set up for shots. Knowing where to look, how to get proper cover, and how to move about the board. Getting into one v one situations is no picnic either, I can assure you all that QSing is not as easy as some folks make it look.

4)Don't be selfish. I find that if I am trying to snipe and I get to a point where I am negative by 3 or 4 kills(sometimes less), it is time to switch to another class. I have been in WAY too many lobbies where a bad sniper will go negative by double digits, and yet they stick with the Sniper through the entire match. If things go South, I will always switch to a more comfortable class so as not to hurt my team.

5)Love thy pistol- I have had to shelve my pistols this game as I use a lot of stealth, so have sacrificed pistols for Perk Slots. But as a Sniper, carrying one is essential, especially when moving about. Throw a muzzle brake on there and they are very effective and can fire quickly. I mostly use the M9A1, myself.

6) Don't expect to lead the lobby- I am a competitive person. I pride myself on being at or near the top of the Lobby scoreboard in most matches, win or lose. But as a sniper, I have learned sometimes I just have to be more of a role player. That I may not score as high, but I can still be an effective team member. That being said... I have been pleased at how often I have been able to be the top scorer on my team, if not in the lobby, using my sniping classes.

So this is what I have learned thus far, and I have been having some good success. So I ask you all who might be in the same boat as me... what have you learned when you try to snipe? What to do, and what not to do? For you experienced Snipers out there, what tips would you provide to someone less comfortable with this weapons class?

PS- Please, do NOT let this degenerate into a Quickscoping discussion. I thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
          admunday

heh, you're a braver man than me!

I recently got my third AR gold and wanted to try something different but couldn't bring myself to go sniper, so ended up setting up a marksman rifle class.  Whilst it's not the same weapon class, I can certianly relate to point 3.  I was amazed how much I clearly relied on sound to direct my attention and sights before my eyes even noticed someone, something you cannot do when the opponent is out of sound range as is the case when normally setting up with a ranged weapon.  I found I missed  lot of first shots to begin with as I was never really sure where I should be looking, although as I played I've got much better at reacting to sight in a contrilled movement.

My accuracy with the SUV marksman is currently running about 40%, and I've found when I go back to ARs, my eyes are a little sharper along with my ears, so it's been a really good learning experience for me.

I think I'll bite the bullet and take the challenge next.  See you in the wookie outfit!

• 2. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
            nicedrewishfela

Ha! Thank you... either braver.. or stupider.. time will tell lol

It really has been a learning experience. I will tell you that having used the Marksman Rifles... Snipers are much harder. Sure they kill faster, but the kick is significantly higher and the fire rate much lower. But I think it has helped me with my long range engagements with ARs and other classes.

I think everyone should try something that takes them out of their comfort level. Really adds some challenge to the game. Best of luck!

• 3. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
              ghamorra

nicedrewishfela wrote:

6) Don't expect to lead the lobby- I am a competitive person. I pride myself on being at or near the top of the Lobby scoreboard in most matches, win or lose. But as a sniper, I have learned sometimes I just have to be more of a role player. That I may not score as high, but I can still be an effective team member. That being said... I have been pleased at how often I have been able to be the top scorer on my team, if not in the lobby, using my sniping classes.

This is so beautiful I might cry. I wish more people would understand this. There's roles out there that the Scorecard doesn't appreciate and subsequently neither do your teammates.

• 4. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
                nicedrewishfela

I have found that a lot of times it isn't the guy going 20-9 or whatever (at least in HC TDM) and at the top of the scoreboard that makes the difference... many times it is the guy in the middle going 10-3 who makes the ultimate difference.

I think I have come to appreciate the various roles more as I have matured with this game. Sometimes the guy at the bottom of the scoreboard was the MVP, as weird as that sounds.

• 5. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
                  ghamorra

If you break down TDM each person needs to have more kills than deaths and to "pull your weight" you need to net at least 13 kills. I'd wager that a player who goes 15 and <5 is a more productive player someone who goes 30 and >20.

I say this because player not only did more than his weight but he also limited his deaths giving some leanency to that one guy on the team that scored an impressive 4 and 12

• 6. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
                    Run_N_Gunning_Camper

The thing with sniping is once you get so used to it, you'll  gain the confidence to move around the map. The more you snipe and the better you get, the faster your reaction time becomes. Assuming you get better and better, one day you could snipe on the go and people will call you a quickscoper. For me, IMO, it is the ultimate evolution of a skilled sniper.

• 7. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
                      ghamorra

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

The thing with sniping is once you get so used to it, you'll  gain the confidence to move around the map. The more you snipe and the better you get, the faster your reaction time becomes. Assuming you get better and better, one day you could snipe on the go and people will call you a quickscoper. For me, IMO, it is the ultimate evolution of a skilled sniper.

Meh, it might be "advanced" sniping as some call it but really mobile sniping in the sense that you rush with a sniper will never grant you anything but the good games when you got the mojo going and the bad games when the other team just isn't lining up like you need them too. Emphasis on the "need".

Mobile sniping is pretty much all luck. I can snipe with the best of them and there was a time where I could run around the map and be crazy fast with the L115. However, there were games where I was fighting a 270* war with the only safe spot being right in front of me. There are too many flanks to be mobile.

Now if you're talking about getting a couple of kills, move to a new spot, get a few more, then that's just traditional sniping to me. I can hold down a fort by myself but you also need to move to avoid becoming predictable. Knowing when to move and when to stay, that's skill.

• 8. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
                        Run_N_Gunning_Camper

ghamorra wrote:

Now if you're talking about getting a couple of kills, move to a new spot, get a few more, then that's just traditional sniping to me. I can hold down a fort by myself but you also need to move to avoid becoming predictable. Knowing when to move and when to stay, that's skill.

I'm talking about moving around the map and sniping on the go and not from spot to spot. To be able to do that and be proficient with it is a greater skill than taking cover and moving from spot to spot and snipe. I will respond to you no further in order to respect the OP's wish not to detract this thread into a QSing discussion. We all have our bias and beliefs and I already stated mine.

• 9. Re: My Secret Life as a Sniper
                          nicedrewishfela

To keep this from becoming a Quickscoping debate.... I see where both of you are coming from.

I think I am still in the stage right now where it takes me a moment to acquire my target. But that being said, I do have games where I am able to move about and Quickly acquire targets and take them down while traversing the map.

I have to say that I think that is the natural evolution of a sniper in this game. You get used to the weapon and the optics and soon you master it to the point where you can acquire and aim at a target without too much thought.

1 2 3 Previous Next