24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2014 12:27 AM by trialstardragon RSS

COD has jumped the shark. Period.

rankismet

When Happy Days aired an episode of a leather jacket clad Arthur Fonzerelli ski jumping a pool of sharks... a catch phrase was born.

Well... COD is just the latest thing to go shark jumping.

Let's level set... yes, COD is a game but can we all agree it's is a first person military shooter? Great, now with that out of the way we get to the meat and potatoes (sorry vegans but veggies are a side, not an entree).

First... we have a wolf skin for Riley. Okay... at least it's a canine... not used in any way shape or form by the military but I'll go with it.

Next... we have a killstreak where you become Micheal Meyers. So, just how does running around like a 70's movie serial killer fit in? It doesn't.

But now?

Space Cats and ducks.

... ...

Yes, Virginia, Capt. Picard just went full facepalm. Honestly... novelty camo is one thing but these are just plain... dumb. It's almost like they are using us as a social science experiment to see how far they can push the silly factor and still get paid.

How cool would a Lone Survior pack be? A Lone Survivor Foundation patch, a real reticle, maybe even Marcus Lutrell skin. That would fit. Hugely fit. And I would buy it in a flash. They could make one for the SAS... GROM... Spetnaz... PJ's... MARSOC... a lot of real spec ops units that would fit the theme and tone that most of us associate with COD.

Instead... we get space cats.

Try and not look down at the sharks as you leap over, Ghosts.

• Re: COD has jumped the shark. Period.
          Bubbakush

Huskies are used by the military not ares but are used and they have a very "wolffish" look and seeing as I own a Husky I really enjoy the skin IMO. Otherwise I do agree but what is this space ducks and cats you speak of.

rankismet

Bubbakush wrote:

Huskies are used by the military not ares but are used and they have a very "wolffish" look and seeing as I own a Husky I really enjoy the skin IMO. Otherwise I do agree but what is this space ducks and cats you speak of.

It wasn't a husky though... it was straight up wolf.

The space cat and duck DLC camos coming out 2/18.

Cheesy as hell.

Bubbakush

true I was just saying that while it is a stretch at least it's a attempt to be close to real unlike mike Myers. I mean if they really wanted to put mike Myers in the game I would rather it be the british spy version asking all the new female skins should we shag now or shag later

gramthenOOb

Those are two of the personalization packs coming out. They look absolutely nasty! Ironically enough though, the space cats one looks SOOOOO bad, I'm actually tempted! (soul has just been damned)

nicedrewishfela

It's been bizarrre. They are putting more thought into the Camos than they are the challenges in game.

TOLAND

I would actually buy a Lone Survivor patch and camo. 

Another idea would be to have an MIA/POW patch and camo.  Then, the profits, or at least a portion, should be donated to Wounded Warriors and other veterans organizations. 

Space Cats? 

Who is IW selling these to, Miley Cyrus?

I posted in the other tread about this.. and here it is for this tread. This is IW trying out their MT system to see how far and how well it will work. If enough buy these cammos, and the cac slots. Expect even more things to be removed and then added back through MT in future games. Welcome to CoD:P2W

iHattoriHanzo0

Do I see where you are coming from? Yes, 100%. That being said, here is my logic on the illogical and cheap in Ghosts.

The wolf was in the campaign. You wind up encountering a wolf pack at the end of "No Mans Land". So obviously a good deal of time was put into designing the wolf. Instead of it going to waste, they added it as multiplayer feature. It adds a bit of bad guy flavor to the guard dog killstreak. I sported it along with my Christmas sweater stuff around the holiday. Ultimately the Holidays are over and prefer "Riley" much more.

The Michael Myers field order is straight Hollywood cheese. Along with the map Fog. Reminds me of some Texas Chainsaw evil goodness. Its marketing at its best.  We all know that Michael Myers has been a "cult" gamemode since CoD4. Although it is a completely different take on that mode, it is still a take on CoD history. I love the music, map, and Michael, but I'll admit, I'm easy to please.

Now onto the novelty camo. Its far from the prestigious red or blue tiger like in CoD4. Its for the fun and not so seriously serious players. After all, it is a game. Lots of kids that like fun silly stuff. Whats better than putting that nonsense on weapons of digital death? IW has plenty of numbers to look at after the micro transactions that BO2 offered. If it makes money, then its a "no brainer".

So yes, the Call of Duty that was once based on real life history that let us sofa soldiers experience the honor and sacrifice that our forefathers went through has been transformed into Hollywood scripts that let us play out future apocalyptic warfare. It is still a first person military shooter, but lost its roots in history. Its a well tuned machine that keeps the endorphins flowing and the money burning.

NoLifeKing32

I've dropped the game almost completely, just playing Dead Island and waiting for them to bring better game modes. I didnt even buy Ghosts, I got it from the Best Buy Canada trade in deal, and haven't actually spent any money on it and that will never change. Even though the patches and weapon balancing has been good, playlist support has been pathetic and so much was cut out of the game for the character customization which I deem largely worthless. The camo challenges aren't even worth looking at it and the new lean feature and slide is pointless. Now we have these weak microtransactions that charge to put things back in the game that have been taken out, along with dumb camos, no thanks. I agree that this series has jumped the shark, though I think it happened a few games ago. The game and community needs a reboot.