24 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2014 8:44 AM by darkbagpuss RSS

Next Gen Playlist Overhaul

ghamorra

I've spent the last hour or so trying to get in a halfway decent lobby but the player population for the PS4 is so low that either I'm stuck in limbo or I'm being forced into lobbies I shouldn't be in creating massive lag. There's really only a few gamemodes that have people are playing.

I suggest a complete overhaul of the playlists to get more players playing the same gamemode. There should be only one playlist, Core, and only four gamemodes, TDM, S&D, DOM, and Party (moshpit or infected, gun game, and hunted).

Before people start freaking out out of the three playlists; Core, HC, and Clan v Clan there's only 28,000 players online right now. HC has 8,000 and Clan v Clan has 400. Together they don't even account for a third of the total players online.

Inside the Core playlist there's only 5 gamemodes that have more than a 1,000 players playing and out of the 13 total gamemodes 6 of the have less than 400 playing, 2 of the 6 have 100 players playing.

• Re: Next Gen Playlist Overhaul
          Izjar11

I've always been in agreement that the game has far too many playlists. Many of these lists should be removed.

One list that is sad is the clan vs clan option, this was requested extensively through the years and when it appeared no one gave a f----k about it. Goes to show you that the COD player, doesn't really know what they want.

I'm on XBONE but I think the numbers you mention are about the same.

Having said that, dont mess with HC! 1/3 is a significant amount when it comes to percentages. Now I agree, I don't think we need so many versions of each type. Do we really need Moshpit?

ghamorra

KC135R wrote:

I'm on XBONE but I think the numbers you mention are about the same.

Having said that, dont mess with HC! 1/3 is a significant amount when it comes to percentages. Now I agree, I don't think we need so many versions of each type. Do we really need Moshpit?

It needs to happen though. That's 1/3 of the population in that playlist. the 8,000 is further divided between 4 gamemodes. If HC is to stay it needs to be one single playlist.

So what your saying is by forcing the 8000 HC players into the already 19,600 Core player population to try and improve your matchmaking is worth removing HC completely. Sorry, but this makes no sense. Players gona play what they wana play.

I am on PS4 and really has not been that bad finding matches. Although I constantly get put into loosing games but that is expected.

I wish they would add more maps to ground war, or at least freight/warhawk. I love Ground war but sick of playing WhiteOut-Octane-Overlord....repeat over and over. I would rather play Seige and Chasm as they work on ground war but they never get voted.

KurtK24

Yep HC that alternates between TDM and KC like GW does.  This will piss off a lot of the HC guys who think they r the only Elite players in the game but it makes sense.  I don't have PS4 yet but I hear the hit detection is real good so i would imagine maybe more HC players will migrate to core over time.  Maybe

They can get rid of all HC except for DOM for all i care.

I play only HC DOM because of the way HC works in other modes  (just my opinion)

HCTDM- Everyone camps which is why I play DOM. It forces you to get out and run. AND the delay respawn is sooooooo lame! I hate waiting to respawn.

HC Sand D- It really is useless in HC because you die so easily and they can collect your tags almost immediately so you spend every game watching others play.

HC KC- ehh.... collecting tags means nothing in this version of COD so why bother.

WhyNoName

This needs to happen on all consoles IMO.  Too many choices.  I think a moshpit of the low tier groups would work great for them.  Or have it as a preset choice in private lobby/etc - or even make it a squad choice.  Multiplayer needs to get pared down greatly, I definitely agree.

Or they can come with a way to get the population back. The population of players decreases every weak gee I wonder why?

ghamorra

The population is there, it's just divided severely. This is the first time Call of Duty has ever had to battle a next gen phase and we're seeing a huge amount of segregation between consoles. This has multiple effects on the population so consistency is what's lacking. Players are still playing, just not as much.

The population isn't there current gen consoles only have 180,000 players playing at the game's peak each so that would mean there is 300,000 players in the next gen consoles right? No there's only 30,000 people so the population is lacking extremely right now.hopefully they figure out a way to make the population back cause even if they do your idea the lag will be unbearable.

ghamorra

At this point last year Black Ops II was flirting with between 200,000 and 300,000 on average. I've seen as many as 250,000 on a weekday (not night) but these numbers are constantly rising and falling. I've seen the PS4 lobby go from 25,000 to 70,000 in an hour and then drop back down to 40,000 the next hour.

What's happening is that people aren't playing as much in one sitting. Their either battling between a split friend's list of those who are PS4 and PS3 or 360 and X-One. Playing with friend's is what made CoD popular to begin with. Take that away and people don't find as much fun.

This game isn't as popular as past titles but it's more widely appreciated. So the population is there it's just not gaming for hours on end.

Izjar11

Couple this, plus many players have grown tired of COD all together and want to play something else. After 5+ years of COD things will get stale, no matter how much shinny new things are thrown in.

Some folks may show back up now that the Titanfall beta closed. I played it for the last week. But of course a huge amount of people are going to go to Titanfall too next month. So that's just another piece of the pie. I think it will give COD a run for it's money in the sense of what you are saying. Just one more thing groups of friends will be playing instead of COD on Nextgen.

AntiGov

Sounds like Shishka logic from the Halo 3 days.

"i r gunna wemove pwaywists becuz we noh haz enuf peoplez"

I always imagined him thinking like that, thank goodness he has left the FPS realm of the gaming industry.

Anyways, from my experience removing playlists doesn't actually help people find games. By removing playlists you're removing the players with them. Think about that for a second, why would a player that's currently playing a playlist with a low population want to change his/her normal playlist? They're playing it for a reason, perhaps they like it. What on earth makes you think that a player is going to play another playlist that they don't even want to play simply because you removed it?

How about this, you play the playlist you like and let the others do what they like. No need to try to funnel players, that won't be funneled anyways, just for your benefit.

ghamorra

I don't want to remove all these gamemode, I just want to moshpit the less played gamemodes. Possibly remove HC and definitely remove Clan vs Clan. The fact is there's no way in Hell these lesser played modes have quality experiences. I can't even start a match in any of them because so few people are playing. My guess is that on the PS4 not one single person is actually playing any of them. they're just sitting in a lobby waiting for something to happen.

Moshpits work and players play them. I'm sure they have their favorites to play but no sense making something worse than it needs to be. If a player is too stubborn to play in a moshpit because their choice mode has <500 players then they probably aren't someone anyone else wants to play with.

AntiGov

That also doesn't work, see HC DLC moshpit for reference. Let the players choose to play what THEY want to play, regardless of population. A HC playlist with 300 people isn't going to harm another playlist of 300, mixing the two will not net you 600. I've witnessed it and quite frankly it doesn't work.

ghamorra

You're missing the point. The lobbies are not functional with that few people. The game cannot match 100 players together because the lobby would be too poor. So instead you're stuck waiting for a lobby to fill when it never will. If you do manage to get a game it will most likely consist of 12 players from random parts of the world and play like crap. So instead of keeping those gamemodes in a useless state put them together so you can actually play a decent match. It will consolidate the modes together and though it may not directly translate the player pool in terms of numbers it will make those modes playable.

AntiGov

Taking every playlist that has a low player population and making one moshpit list does NOT work, those players will leave. It's been done numerous times and you end up with 12 people from all over the globe playing a mode they don't want to. Rather than change the game for your liking why don't you play at peak times or go play on the PS3? I play on my 360 although I have Ghosts for the Xbone, why? Because the 360 offers a better experience. Sounds like the PS3 offers a better experience than the PS4 from what you're saying.

tracy

Don't mind the removal of clan v clan, especially since they incorporated E-Sports rules, even merge game modes that aren't as popular together, but please don't remove HC, I believe the playlist numbers are so low on HC because many players hate riochocet and would prefer friendly fire back. Not everyone enjoys playing core and shouldn't be forced to just to strengthen numbers on one playlist.

slimzyy

If they remove HC most HC players wont switch to core they just wont play so it would be pointless !!

I'd certainly agree with the OP: I would reduce to a core playlist with TDM, where the vast majority play, a second Objective moshpit (DOM, S&D, KK), and a third Party moshpit (Infected, Gun Game).  I think the time has come to say goodbye to HC, there just aren't enough players - it's a niche playlist now.