13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2014 4:44 PM by iHattoriHanzo0 RSS

What do these numbers say about the future of COD?

r8edtripx

I don't think it's looking good, people.

Check out the numbers below. It's a Double XP weekend for Ghosts, but no double XP for Black Ops 2. ...yet the number of players online for BO2 are only 25% lower!

Are people in Russia, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark waiting until August to buy Ghosts? (since XBoxOne won't release in these countries until then.)

Is this the reason for the comparatively low numbers for Ghosts? Personally, I doubt it.

Anyway, here are the numbers, tell me what you guys think.

Ghosts:

PS4 - 69, 085

XBoxOne - 46, 015

PS3 - 174, 285

XBox360 - 181,506

Grand Total for Ghosts on a Double XP Weekend: 470, 891

Black Ops 2:

PS3: 215,492

XBox360 - 135,561

Grand Total for Black Ops 2 with NO DXP: 351,153

• Re: What do these numbers say about the future of COD?
          wikked75

i'd say that just shy of a million people are playing COD this weekend at any given moment across a few of the games.

i don't know about most people, but i tend to stay away from double xp weekends when i'm already max prestige.

i don't see this as saying anything about the future of COD.

r8edtripx

Yes, shy of a million if you include BO2. That's why the topic is talking about the FUTURE of COD. As in, where it's going.

You're max prestige in Ghosts? You must be a big fan of Ghosts then. The trend seems to be that not as many people are as big a fan as you are. I'm glad you've been enjoying the game.

wikked75

i've max prestiged them all since cod 4 except for mw3, because they kept upping the prestige levels. i think i got to 17 on that one. i enjoy this one just as much as i enjoyed any other one. this one has had a better connection for me than i've had in years, but that just may be my personal experience.

and yes, you said the future, which isn't ghosts, either. i'd cut some slack because the numbers are so fragmented this year. this years sample is hard to compare to other years.

there are still a bunch of people playing cod, and i don't think that will change too much anytime soon.

r8edtripx

There's still time left in the COD cycle for Ghosts, so that's why I still consider it as part of the future of COD.

Fair enough, as far as you wanting to cut them slack as far as the numbers. The don't think they should get as much slack as you seem to want to give them, and I feel the numbers are somewhat telling, but that's the very reason I started this thread...I really am curious as to what others are thinking.

I'm hoping Sledgehammer Games brings something awesome to the next-gen table this November, and makes me want cancel my plans on double xp weekends.

NoLifeKing32

They don't say anything. COD has moved to a 3 year dev cycle and will have cloud servers available to them for their next game on both consoles. The franchise isn't going anywhere. Ghosts might be a flop right now, but if they add some fun game modes it would be worth playing again.

iHattoriHanzo0

In the world of CoD, these numbers only tell us about a relation between Ghosts and BO2. They also only tell us the bare facts and nothing about why these numbers are what they are. There are many reasons and factors that can cause a lower online population. I'm sure there are plenty of players that will use them as "proof" for their agendas and opinions.

As far as the future of CoD, it tells us nothing.  I won't lie though.......it does bother me that there aren't as many players enjoying Ghosts as much as I am. Then again, maybe thats one of the factors I am enjoying it.

r8edtripx

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

In the world of CoD, these numbers only tell us about a relation between Ghosts and BO2. They also only tell us the bare facts and nothing about why these numbers are what they are. There are many reasons and factors that can cause a lower online population. I'm sure there are plenty of players that will use them as "proof" for their agendas and opinions.

As far as the future of CoD, it tells us nothing.

Do you work for a government of some sort? You've written a paragraph and change, and still brought nothing to the table. Lol!

Speculate. Throw out some wild ideas. What are some of the many reasons and factors you had in mind that can cause a lower online population?

iHattoriHanzo0

Hahahaha. I'm grouchy.

Like I said, it bothers me Ghosts isn't succeeding. Besides new consoles, CoD growing old, an increase of CoD fatigue, and players coming off an endorphine sputtering game like BO2........I have absolutely no idea why the numbers are what they are.

But to answer the title of your post.....I don't think these numbers tell us about the future.

gotsomestars

The mindless people don't like ghosts because you have to use your brain again. Thats why they put bots in TF, so when people are getting beat they can kill bots. Instead of getting online and crying about campers, they can just kill some bots.

r8edtripx

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

Hahahaha. I'm grouchy.

Like I said, it bothers me Ghosts isn't succeeding. Besides new consoles, CoD growing old, an increase of CoD fatigue, and players coming off an endorphine sputtering game like BO2........I have absolutely no idea why the numbers are what they are.

You might be onto something there with Ghosts having to follow an endorphin sputtering game like BO2. I really enjoyed Black Ops 2, and am one that hopes for something more along those lines in future COD games.

I can't be sure, but it seems like you want to keep going the Ghosts route. If that's the case, I really hope you don't get your way. Lol.

iHattoriHanzo0

Yeah, thats just it. The games are complete opposite. Its really dividing the community apart. Thats one of the reasons why these forums are filled with negativity. Thats something that won't be changing in the future.

I'ld say that you would most likely be getting your way with the next title.........until I heard SH is developing it. Who knows what we have in store???

I had lots of frustration with BO2. Still played the heck out of it and walked away with a positive experience. But you're right, Ghosts is more down my alley.

r8edtripx

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

Yeah, thats just it. The games are complete opposite. Its really dividing the community apart. Thats one of the reasons why these forums are filled with negativity. Thats something that won't be changing in the future.

I'ld say that you would most likely be getting your way with the next title.........until I heard SH is developing it. Who knows what we have in store???

I had lots of frustration with BO2. Still played the heck out of it and walked away with a positive experience. But you're right, Ghosts is more down my alley.

You're right about the negativity, we've got some dude right in this thread trying to troll with his talk about mindless people playing Titanfall.

Well you're keeping it positive, that's good. I tend to get sucked into the negativity on occasion myself; It's hard not to with so many douchebags in these forums.

3 year cycle... Maybe we'll get one year your way, one year mine, and then one in the middle?

Still... Very excited to see what the future of next-gen holds for first person shooters.