12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 5:41 PM by hyper72 RSS

Where has all the lag come from?

the_eon

I've been playing this game since launch date and the one good thing has been the connection. For the last couple of weeks I cannot kill anyone. Rang my ISP everything is fine and all other games are running fine.

I jumped on tonight and went 32-5 and though everything is back to normal, they were low kd players and I won every gun fight where I was shooting first. Next game with exactly the same players I go 3-15.I could not kill people. Even when I did kill someone I was taking damage when on my screen they had not even raised their gun. The next 5 games exactly the same, I lost 90% of my gun fights against very low KD players. I've gone from 2,80 KD player to a complete noob apparently.

It's plain to see what's happening, I'm not lagging in the sense of my game looks fine I'm just behind everyone, Nearly every death is an insta death with no chance in some cases of even lifting my gun. It's like Black Ops 2 all over again. Have they turned off the dedicated servers? Something has changed and it's made it unplayable for me at the moment (unplayable in the sense I'm at a massive disadvantage).

I really want the DLC but what's the point when I'm it's a connection lottery!!!

• Re: Where has all the lag come from?
          WhyNoName

This has been apparent to a growing amount of players since the last Title Update about a month ago.  I personally believe they altered matchmaking to include a wider choice of games as the player base started small and is dwindling as time passes (to be expected).  The "hybrid" system we are on with both P2P hosting and "dedicated" servers in play makes me think that the dedi's have been minimized and we are now relying more on P2P hosting as we have in all prior CODs.  This will introduce lag like we are seeing and makes sense.  Make less money = turn stuff off that costs money.

the_eon

Makes sense. Now I have fast reliable Fibre Optic wired connection so it makes me wonder if the old host disadvantage is making a comeback from MW3. Up until a few weeks ago this game has been running great for me. I haven't been at an advantage  just winning and losing gun fights that I should with minimal BS. Now it's back to luck!!

The lag has come from the Developers... The lag the PS4 is suffering from is all due to the game being developed and forsing the PS4 console to reduce it's 60fps as the game is for some reason more than 60fps. All down to the devs FACT.

onlineace

Ive been talking about this very issue you are pointing out since the last update myself.  I thought by buying a ps4 and more dedicated servers via the fact we are now paying to play multiplayer.  Things would be better. Hell not!! Its worse then ever!  Fix the god damn game or Sony will not see another dime from me or friends and family who unlike me have completely been turned off from the game and would rather play other games.

gambit1969

I was having some good games earlier but in the last hour or so its gotten very hit and miss (more miss than hit), which i find odd because there were a lot less people online then there is now.

Ungrateful_Dead

I asked Activision Support on Twitter:

Why is the lag/compensation so bad since the TU at end of January? Less Servers? Ghosts had become bad on PS4, terrible on PS3.

Activision Support's response:

Nothing has changed. Are you connected online via wired? What are your speedtest.net results? ^SM

------

Sorry, Activision, it isn't my connection.  I have been muttering about the same issues as the OP while playing on PS4, but then I jumped onto PS3 for the last clan wars because there were no other clan members playing on PS4 that night.  My last game on PS4 was a 47K 23D 10C game of Domination on Strikezone.  I didn't have a good connection, but managed to grind out a decent enough game.

Then I hopped onto PS3 and joined a full party from my clan, who range from all over Canada and the USA.  They had to make me host in order to get a 6th member to join (guess I was the only NAT type acceptable).  I then proceeded to have a couple of hours of the worst games in my life - with horribly bad connection issues.  My party was winning, so I stuck it out for the clan war CPs.  I went from almost 50 kills on PS4 playing solo to struggling to break 10 kills on PS3.  I had games where I couldn't even make it to the ballistic vests (had to go with supports since I couldn't stack enough kills in a row to even get an assault sat com).

When I finally went to hand off the leadership, not a single player in our party had a good enough connection for me to transfer to them.  Now when you are running a 6 man party, the odds of one of your group pulling host is usually pretty good.  Now since none of the group had the required connectivity to host the party, it seems likely that they also couldn't host the lobby.

It doesn't take a networking genius to figure out who was likely hosting all of the games where I was getting hammered - me.  Llike the last few COD versions, host is only an advantage if everyone in the lobby has a good ping to you.  If not, it's BOHICA time.

ghamorra

Next Gen consoles don't have the greatest population. Many gamemodes have less than 500 players on them at any given time. It's tough finding good quality matches when there are few lobbies to be placed in.

Well apparently the Diamond Division servers were down and they are trying to fix them. Thats why the Diamond Division was delayed and then cancelled. They have to find a way to keep the servers up while they are still trying to fix it... Lag is better than server shut down...

nomorebull

There are no dedicated servers. That's why when ever the patch gets released there is a patch for match making. Dedicated servers seem to be a lie, in order to get more sales.

ghamorra

nomorebull wrote:

Dedicated servers seem to be a lie,

The only lie about dedicated servers is that it's the be all solution.

xlwolfshirt1

It's not the panacea that people want it to be, but there's really no excuse to have an FPS on listen servers in the year 2014.

It would help solve several of the issues that I've noticed. 

LT--SHiNySiDeZ-

If you think Dedi servers are gonna fix anything you are sadly mistaken.  BF proves that I have spent about 3000 hours on BF4, BF3, BFBC2, BFBC, and BF2 and they still have issues.  Dedi servers run great when people have good connections.  All you need is someone running a 150+ ping to join and everyone notices the lag instantly.  That is why everyone on BF complains about French and Portuguese joining US servers.  They join with 200+ pings and lag everyone in the lobby and become superman themselves because everyone is lagging but them.  So in short you will still have lag issues and still disconnect from servers.  Dedi servers also need much more maintenance to keep them running.

CallOfDutyFan88

less ppl are playing ghosts, when u have less people on u are less likely to be connected to a suitable host as the hosting options become more limited

hyper72

Over the last 3days 1 on 1 gun fights are getting impossible something has been adjusted somewhere I've not changed anything  my k/d has dropped due to this problem..... Im shooting but theres a big delay in the hitmarkers........ Its returned to blackops2 bullshit days.....before this I've had many hours of happy game play on ps4 but now shyt.......was geared up to buy the DLC maps but I'm going to hold off now..... Im sick of them messing with settings everytime they update this game they make it worse......

the_eon

I've just had the worst connection in a game of call of duty ever. 3-15 could not kill a soul. Found a camper started shooting him in the back and he turned and killed me. I had so me bad times on blops2 but this game was at a whole new level.  3 years playing this game and I have never seen anything like it. Every gun fight where I was shooting first I lost.  I just laughed and ended up dashboarding.No skill noobs dominating lobbies again due to connection......brilliant

hyper72

Just had 2 good games and 10 BS rage quits why has this started again when everything was playable but now WTF bullshit makes a COME BACK....