26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 9:06 PM by TheDarkOne123 RSS

Slow down, you move too fast...

RunAndGun1

...gotta make the morning last.

I'm finding a huge difference in my success in Ghosts by simply slowing down as I move around the map. Sometimes staying on one side of the map and drawing enemies to me instead of chasing them down. Even with these so-called "large maps", I end up with much better KDR even if I don't rack up a lot of kills. Although, I am much more interested in fun then KDR. But, when I slow down a bit, I have more fun AND end up with better KDR. Win-win.

...doot -n - doodooooo....feeling groovy....dah, dah, dah, daaaah, dahh, feeling GROOVY....

• Re: Slow down, you move too fast...
          cranium2001

I started doing this in mw3 thanks to gump (used to be on here). I still run around like a fool sometimes, but when I can't do anything right, I slow down and come back to earth. It really helps.

HEREIAMNOW

I rush.  And I am successful because I use DS.  UAVs are no longer a problem, hardly anyone uses SatComs. 

But DS, for rushers, is the absolute in this game.  Oh, and the lovely K7 and HoneyBadger with built in silencer.

Wish I knew about this at launch, my KD would have been much higher. 

RunAndGun1

HEREIAMNOW wrote:

I rush.  And I am successful because I use DS.  UAVs are no longer a problem, hardly anyone uses SatComs.

But DS, for rushers, is the absolute in this game.  Oh, and the lovely K7 and HoneyBadger with built in silencer.

Wish I knew about this at launch, my KD would have been much higher.

I'm gonna try the HoneB with DS. See what happens. :-)

Izjar11

RunAndGun1 wrote:

...gotta make the morning last.

I'm finding a huge difference in my success in Ghosts by simply slowing down as I move around the map. Sometimes staying on one side of the map and drawing enemies to me instead of chasing them down. Even with these so-called "large maps", I end up with much better KDR even if I don't rack up a lot of kills. Although, I am much more interested in fun then KDR. But, when I slow down a bit, I have more fun AND end up with better KDR. Win-win.

...doot -n - doodooooo....feeling groovy....dah, dah, dah, daaaah, dahh, feeling GROOVY....

You found your groove that is good: The dudes who complain mostly about that, havent found how to play the game to their liking.

maccabi

+1 for the title... I completely agree the 59th time I crossed the bridge and died i learnt this

RunAndGun1

UPDATE: Playing with the HoneyBadger and DS. Huge increase in better gameplay and success. Combined with slowing down my moving around the map - no matter how "big" the map is - helps me enjoy the game.

Yea, I still experience crappy spawns and spikey lag. But, I've complained about that enough. Sorry, I know I've gone overboard sometimes. But, I am having more fun matches by slowing down and just being extra alert when I spawn.

HEREIAMNOW

The element of surprise is huge of this game.  If they cant hear you, they wont be alerted to your presence.  Watching the minimap for team members dying and gun blips is too much of a distraction.

But killing other people ruin my element of surprise, because of the minimap.  What I do, is because most games people seem to cluster or spawn on top of each other, is kill someone and run the opposite way I came in.

The expect you to come through a certain door, it might take a little longer to get to an area, but you will flank to catch them off guard.  This game has many access points to an area.  The difference with this game is that it takes longer to flank 'great position points' and to get around to those position points the "long way" ends up leaving you exposed if you arent quick enough.

Anyways, I am glad you improved your game by using DS and Honeybadger.  I was suffering for a while with my Run and Gun, until I used the K7 and DS.  But staying in one spot with my LMG was starting to become boring.

ghamorra

Slow and steady wins the race.

I keep telling all of those rushers who refuse to admit that playing slowly and "camping" by their definition will have better results than running around like a fool.

Move just enough to be unpredictable but always make sure you're not over extending yourself.

So moving is foolish? I'll keep that in mind when the building is falling on me and my squad. If this game was realistic with the explosives campers would be complaining just as much. I am going to play just like you say people should play the second the game starts I will throw an IED down even though it's useless and then I will wait. Or I will just not sprint and walk everywhere I go. Movement shouldn't be discouraged in a game that's suppose to be fast paced. I have nothing against campers but the second they start being biased and telling rushers they should slow down to a stand still that's I want to argue. The way I see it camper and rushers aren't ruining the game it's the ones who complain all the time that ruin it.

ghamorra

TheDarkOne123 wrote:

So moving is foolish?

Did I say that? No, I didn't

TheDarkOne123 wrote:

in a game that's suppose to be fast paced.

Says who? You?

TheDarkOne123 wrote:

I have nothing against campers but the second they start being biased and telling rushers they should slow down to a stand still that's I want to argue. The way I see it camper and rushers aren't ruining the game it's the ones who complain all the time that ruin it.

Who's complaining? Who's being bias? Playing like an idiot won't get you far regardless of what tactic you choose to use. I suggest you stop looking for reason to get defensive because your post was very off base.

Okay let me rephrase that how is moving running like a fool? Why are you allowed to tell people to slow down but they aren't allowed to tell you to speed up? Let me rephrase the thing I said about Call of Duty it's suppose to be tactical and slow and fast paced basically every way. Call of Duty shouldn't be slow or fast it should be both that's the point I am trying to make. You basically suggest making the game just slow every time someone talks about camping. I am a tactical fun player when I am competitive I play in a tactical way if I am trying to have fun I find ways to catch people off guard. I am not trying to be offended I am asking why you think the game should be slow? Video games are designed to be fun so why can't I run around like an idiot if I possess the skill and reflexes to do so?

Gerbera

He is not saying moving is foolish, but moving too much can be foolish. Blindly rushing can give you tunnel vision and can cause you to lose awareness of your surroundings, focusing only directly in front of you, and can easily result in you missing a target that you otherwise may have spotted, whether they be camping, or if they happened to be approaching your position. Even in a rusher-friendly game like BO2, playing at a slightly slower pace (not outright camping) can net people better games if it fits their style more. Not everyone who simply rushes OR camps will do well if the player isn't comfortable with it, and CoD in no way dictates it must always be fast-paced. It all comes down to what a player is most comfortable with, regardless of whether you or other people personally don't like it.

Otherwise, there would've been rules against slower, if no moving at all and penalties if people don't, but there aren't. Activision and the other companies know that not everyone can or will want to be forced to play only one way. This is what turned off BO2 to a chunk of players after a while; it's the closest to being "forced to play one way" we've had due to most maps being so generally similar and simplistic, with 2 weapon types (SMGs and shotguns) being vastly more dominate over all the others (even ARs, the quintessential jack-of-all-trades weapon type didn't see nearly as much use as previous games compared to SMGs and shotguns) on virtually every map and in virtually every game mode.

Like I'll sprint around from cover to cover if I feel it's safe, but I also won't hesitate to simply walk, move while crouching, or even crawl around prone if I feel I might encounter someone soon, or if I already spotted someone approaching my position, or whatever. You'd be surprised at just how delayed a response people have when I'm crawling around prone because they most likely think I'm a dead body at a first short glance.

Basically, rushing and running non-stop really limits your actions to reacting on the spot most of the time as you come across people, ADSing, aiming, and firing faster than the other can react and do so. Players who move at a slightly slower pace tend to have more control over themselves and their gun battles because they can not only react to those who appear in front of them (whether they come across the opponent or the opponent runs in front of them), but can also more easily prepare for such encounters. Like I can be walking towards a corner, my weapon already ADS, my mind mentally prepared to pull the trigger under the assumption that someone WILL appear any second. For an approaching rushing opponent, they'll come charging around the corner and most likely die to me because they'll have to take that second or two to react to my presence suddenly being there in order to raise their weapon, possibly ADS or not, aim at me, and fire as opposed to me, whose weapon is already aimed and already ADS, so all I have to do is just slightly adjust my aim and fire. Right from the get-go, I have to do half or so of the things the rusher has to do simply because of my slower pace allowing me to be more prepared. Even if a rusher expects someone to appear as well, that doesn't exactly shave off the time it takes to do their actions when it happens as they're still doing it on the spot.

I never said people should be forced to run I was asking why he thinks the game should be slowed. The way I see it no one should be punished for their play style which has been happening since MW3.

RunAndGun1

I hope you weren't suggesting that I - the topic starter - was implying that the game should be slowed down. I am talking about my own movement around the map.

The idea that COD is "supposed to be fast paced" is absurd. Anyone that's played COD for more then the past three titles know that COD has had maps and playstyles of all varieties. Treyarch did a huge disservice to the COD series with BO2. Making 90% of the maps tiny was a complete contradiction to COD's original design. Most COD titles have had maps of all sizes, clearly to accommodate all playstyles. It's the people who are insisting on caffeinated clusterfk paced games that are ruining COD. Arcade style games are the worst. If I want arcade style, I will go TO an arcade mall, grab a plastic gun and point at a TV screen while pulling a trigger. Sadly, BO2 was arcade style, but of the worst kind.

Maps size has little to do with the speed at which players feel comfortable moving.

Bullet damage is by far the biggest influence, then comes lack of consistent radar; followed by unpredictable spawning and traffic routes.

Gerbera

Bullet damage has been pretty consistent a majority of the time with very few exceptions, and one of them (the MP40 in the console version of WaW) was a programming error that was, for some reason, never corrected (console version having 59-29 damage while PC had 40-29 damage) while other times, it's about other things besides outright damage.

Otherwise, on average, ARs have usually been 3-5 hit kills, SMGs at 4-6, LMGs at 3-4, Snipers at 1-2, shotguns depending on range and pellet count, and now Marksman are usually 2-3. As said, there is usually 1-2 exceptions in each class that work slightly different than the norm (like the ARX-160, for example, has high damage up close, but quickly drops off to one of the weakest at range out of ARs)

Wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the other guy who basically said moving is foolish.

PUR4IDO

I still play the same way I have played since .. a long time. I never camp and I still find the game to be boring and slow. If I keep playing this game I'm probably going to end up w more kills than I did in Blops 2 and that game was balls 2 the wall.

If you remove some of the bs this game has, it can actually be a fun game. All really depends on how good the lobby is. If you end up in a good lobby when 7 or 8 out of 12 players are good, you end up having some good fun. Everybody is active and you end actually having good matches.

Voods

It's been a running joke since ever.

want to get better at fps?

1. Check corners and don't blindly go into areas

2. stop running

3. placement is better than aim

4. stop running

5.Dont reload after every kill

6.stop running

This can all be summed up quite easily by saying put yourself into an advantageous situation, saving your quick moves for survival not showing off, and one really important part camping the same location slows your reaction capability. While you may be able to get a few kills here and there camping if you arent ogre twitching to keep that hand alive and moving you are eventually dead in the water if someone just waits and makes you think its a bit safe. However on the opposite side of the spectrum moving like a maniac no pun intended TWICE, you basically give up actual control where as moving more methodically around the map will give you control, ease of minimap use, and keeps you on the ready.

HEREIAMNOW

Most important.

1.  Have Good Eyes (Knowing Changes at Quick Glances)

2.  Great Reaction Time

3.  Controller Sensitivity Fast Enough To Aim and Quickly Look At Your Surroundings.

4.  Know The Layouts Of The Map and Points Of Interest

5.  Stealthy Layouts

I agree with not reloading after every kill.  Once, I hear the 5th bullet hit i'll stop shooting (Unless I See BV).  Conserve the ammo until you are in a safe spot.

If you are a runner and gunner, never stop running.  The quicker you are, the less time they have to react.  And FLANK FLANK FLANK!

nicedrewishfela

I find a mixture works for me. I have a pretty good knowledge of the maps by now and the tendencies on each. I also try to keep close tabs on my teammates and where the enemy seems to be located.

Often I will rush to an area using flanking routes and cover. When I am near the enemy, I will then slow down and move tactically from point to point.

Works more often than not, but sometimes an enemy will be in a spot I was anticipating and pick me off while running.

RunAndGun1

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Often I will rush to an area using flanking routes and cover. When I am near the enemy, I will then slow down and move tactically from point to point.

Works more often than not, but sometimes an enemy will be in a spot I was anticipating and pick me off while running.

That's how I usually blend my movements as well. Though sometimes when I'm spawned really far away from everyone, I can get impatient and set myself up for getting killed.

Gerbera

Yeah, a number of people, especially on larger maps, will tend to immediately rush forward to try to get "back to the action", but seem to have some subconscious thinking that they themselves are the only ones moving (while maybe assuming everyone else is camping), so if/when they come across someone a lot quicker than they thought they would, they're caught unprepared, or an enemy who is moving as well spots them, but isn't spotted themselves, and chases them down and kills them from behind since the person is so focused on rushing forward.

nicedrewishfela

On BO2, you could feasibly run and gun ALL THE TIME.

People on this game say you can't Run and Gun are sorely mistaken. The difference is, you need to get yourself in proper position to do so. You can't just run down the middle of the road shooting like a madman. You have to learn to flank, avoid long sight lines, and know where the enemy is. Once you do this, you significantly shrink the map to an area you can run in. Once you've done that, voila... you can Run and Gun.

Running and Gunning actually requires thought on this game.

sennalike

I had a thread similar to this. Spectating is king. You get to see just how many bad rushers are out there, spawn, run for five seconds, die, rinse and repeat.

Too many players have sensitivity set way too high for their ability, mainly because they believe it gives them an advantage. What they fail to realise is high sensitivity can give you advantage, but only if you have the ability to use it properly. I have mine set low, I avoid sprinting unless necessary. Occasions when I do get 'too fast' are the times I find death after death waiting round every corner.

HB is very under rated. Together with the AK and Remington they are easily the best three guns in the game for me, although I have fun matches with the LMGs every now and then too.