43 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2014 11:47 AM by iHattoriHanzo0 RSS

How IW could address the map DLC debacle...

rankismet

As Foxhound puts it... I'm a little salty over the DLC maps not being in rotation. As many who frequent the forums know... I've been concerned about DLC maps and matchmaking for a long time.

Ghosts DLC... new maps should be free...

That concern seems to have come to fruition with Ghosts.

... however...

I'm not going to whine about it.

I'm going to offer a short term solution.

1. Make all MP maps free and mandatory.
      2. Give season pass holders premier character skins, the extra CAC slots and any weapon DLC free.
      3. Continue to release camo and character skins as micro transactions.
      4. Make new weapons a micro-transaction and not part of a map pack.

This is a subtle shift in ATVI business model but something needs to be done.

• Re: How IW could address the map DLC debacle...

And if you bought the additional class load outs go ahead and UNLOCK the rest of the class load outs! I have 3 squadmates that have the first 3 classes unlocked and the last 4 unlocked but the ones in the middle still require squad points. DOH!!

BUT back to your point, yeah I got on last night because I am apparently not a good reader and thought ALL maps were in rotation. And this made me happy BECAUSE as I have pointed out there are reasons I don't play them even though I bought them. Turns out after 3 gig update it was only Freefall which i already had. So what was the 3 gig for, did I really just download the same map twice??

Which makes me wonder if the same thing will happen when they finally do put them into circulation.

iHattoriHanzo0

rankismet wrote:

This is a subtle shift in ATVI business model but something needs to be done.

I'm not so sure about the subtle part of this sentence. There seemed to be a couple too many free words in the post for this to come to light, in my opinion.

Its stupid the new maps aren't in normal rotation especially since all platforms now have access. If it is because of low sales that could affect matchmaking, at least Activision is keeping matchmaking a priority.

If Activision even acknowledges the disgruntled players due to dlc maps not in normal rotation, I'll be surprised to even see a 2xp weekend to make up for it let alone giving away money.

newm8n

I Agree I don't see them giving maps out free, but then need to do something with a certain title around the corner. And even if it wasn't coming out the lack of communication regarding everything about the game ( exclude patch notes) is almost embarrassing. I can figure out who their listening to regarding decisions about the game

rankismet

The reality is the season pass is not meeting anyone's expectations.

I'm proposing IW shift their money to the micro-transaction side, make the maps mandatory, and compensate the SP holders with select pieces of the micro-transactions.

ATVI should have made matchmaking the priority by adjusting their business model up front or communicated... something they have yet to do once... how DLC maps would accessed and available.

We are sitting here speculating.

iHattoriHanzo0

rankismet wrote:

The reality is the season pass is not meeting anyone's expectations.

This may be the case, especially if all you're concerned with is multi maps. Activision still has Extinction in their corner. Along with the map comes achievements. If the three future dlc's follow suit with Onslaught, there will be at least a total of 40 more achievements or trophies. For a season pass price of $50, its like another game which has more achievements than some games that are released today for $60.

I'm in agreement that the communication why these maps aren't in rotation is poor and wish the maps were in rotation. I'm still not disappointed though because of Extinction. I understand not everyone appreciates that side game, but it does hold weight as far as dlc goes whether or not you play it.

rankismet

I don't play Extinction... not my thing.

I would be willing to bet the majority of the people who purchased the season pass did not do it for Extinction.

It's like... I know you ordered the prime rib... here... have a fish sandwich. It's included.

iHattoriHanzo0

Yeah but there are a lot who play it. Theres even an entire sub-forum for it. It may be full of zombie vets, squeakers, and achievement hunters. Yet, I play with other friends in their mid-30s. Its the co-op aspect of CoD nowadays.

Not to mention the $50 I spent on the season pass lets me play Extinction with friends on the 360 and the One.

RunAndGun1

rankismet wrote:

I don't play Extinction... not my thing.

I would be willing to bet the majority of the people who purchased the season pass did not do it for Extinction.

It's like... I know you ordered the prime rib... here... have a fish sandwich. It's included.

LOL. Yea, and they didn't even ask me if I wanted chips with my fish sandwich. Much less a soft drink.

I don't play Extinction. I tried it a couple times. I don't like the idea of starting off with a pee shooter. Let me access my soldiers loadouts, and make the aliens tougher. That's my view.

Not to disagree that it isn't worth something, but that won't add anything to the other multiplayer experience which is what most people want dlc for.

iHattoriHanzo0

Agree. The majority of CoD players are in it for multi and want more multi maps. I am one of those players. There is a minority of players that play exclusively for Extinction but there are still some a good amount that will dabble with it, and possibly get into it. The achievements or trophies are a big factor in players getting into it more than just dabbling.

Even though its a minority game mode, I guarantee Activision looks at it as a major addition to the dlc experience. There is a lot of time invested in creating it therefore when it comes to price, it holds weight to Activision and the players that take advantage of the side game.

RunAndGun1

If they made the maps mandatory, then game will ultimately end up costing more. As a developer, they would have to pass the additional costs onto the consumer. Hence, the season pass. I think it should be kept separate and not mandatory. People who don't have the maps, don't play the matches on those maps. Simple. People playing in parties will have to make sure everyone in their party has the maps they want to play on, but that should be a given. I don't have a problem with the season pass. I have a problem with the DLC not being added to the regular playlist soon after release.

The one change I would make to the DLC process, is to release maps more often. Waiting three months between DLC packs only creates 14 campsites. I think camping becomes a problem because people have figured out the best camping spots and start using them asap. If there was a new map per month, with two maps coming out the third month, we would have a new map to learn and be less affected by camping. I'm sorry but, camping has been the worst in Ghosts then any previous COD, in my experience. So many people are addicted to KDR stats that they could care less about playing as a team, and go the lone wolf to protect their "stats". Treyarch made matters worse with their tiny maps in BlackOps 2. Tiny maps are definitely the cause behind an increase in camping. Players became so afraid of their stats being hurt because of the clusterfk kill/die that comes from tiny maps, that camping became a natural choice. Who can blame them? You spawn, and two seconds later you're under fire, thanks to the tiny maps compressing the action into small areas of engagement.

rankismet

RunAndGun1 wrote:

If they made the maps mandatory, then game will ultimately end up costing more. As a developer, they would have to pass the additional costs onto the consumer. Hence, the season pass. I think it should be kept separate and not mandatory. People who don't have the maps, don't play the matches on those maps. Simple. People playing in parties will have to make sure everyone in their party has the maps they want to play on, but that should be a given. I don't have a problem with the season pass. I have a problem with the DLC not being added to the regular playlist soon after release.

They need to make the maps mandatory or be up front about how you will be able to access them.

Want to make the game cost less...? Drop single player.

... or even better...

Make an MP COD similar to Titanfall.

But IW has really, really dropped the ball with the deployment and access strategy for map DLC. I would like to see them do something to address it... but in all reality... it's already too late.

iHattoriHanzo0

Ok, Ok. Here's my solution to the debacle. Release 30 multiplayer maps from release. Cash in on side games like Zombies, Extinction, and mdlc like camos and skins.

But then there isn't any multi maps to look forward to during the year. Then again, if the maps don't go into rotation anyway, theres nothing to look forward to anyway.

nicedrewishfela

I think expecting a company to release a DLC is a bit unrealistic.

Here is what I think would make the most sense for the community, and for ATVI/The Devs.

Stop selling DLC Packs Piecemeal. Doing so fragments the community and wreaks Havoc on Match-Making. On release, Give the Season Pass with the Prestige Edition of the game, and sell it at full price for those who don't get the Prestige Edition. Provide those who purchase the Season Pass before the first DLC truly exclusive Character Customizations, patches, and other items. These should, at no point, be available elsewhere. It should be something that makes it worthwhile for early investors in the Season Pass. Maps don't work, because they are useless with nobody to play them with and eventually get released to the public anyways.

Sell the Season Pass at full price until a few weeks after DLC 1 is released. For DLC 2, drop the price by $10, and continue to drop it $10 for each release. By DLC 4 it will be $19.99. Fair? Sure. Folks will complain that they spent more on release, but you always pay more for something new... and by DLC 4 the game is nearing the end of it's life cycle. The lowered price might encourage some who passed on the game earlier to jump in late.

In addition to 4 Maps each DLC (+1 "Novelty" Map such as Zombies, Extinction, whatever), continue with the trend of DLC weapons. SP holders would get the gun early before each release(maybe a week in advance?), another incentive for people to get the maps.

The key, however, is that if they implement them, the DLC maps need to make it into full rotation early in the game.

As of right now, there is no incentive to purchase the maps.

And I can honestly say that i bought the season pass before maps ever dropped, and i've only played the new maps once on private match with my clan because they aren't in rotation.

nuttin2say

Other than Extinction, its been roughly two weeks since I've touched Ghosts. I've fallen out of love. Been doing the MW3 thing.

rankismet

And we now know Onslaught will be in rotation when Devastation drops...

... guess that means the "N" map pack will never be in rotation...

Such a disappointment.

Izjar11

Your points are very valid, and I feel the same way about DLC but I will not hold my breath on them changing things.

But to reiterate: DLC SHOULD BE ON ROTATION!

I think it's funny that Rockstar Games is even able to release free DLC I don't even think they have made people pay for anything yet.

Highwayman0226

Sorry about making a similar topic, I didn't see your post Rankismet.

Another note about DLC, why are they so far apart?  Push all your maps out 6-8 months into the game's life.  Then we just play for the last 4-6 months, or we don't.  Yet another reason I didn't get the season pass this year, as a PS3 player the last map pack doesn't come out til sept/oct.  That gives me a month or two before the next title is out.  If it's a production thing and it just takes that long to make the material, so be it, but pushing content more often would be beneficial in my opinion. 

rankismet

Highwayman0226 wrote:

Sorry about making a similar topic, I didn't see your post Rankismet.

Another note about DLC, why are they so far apart?  Push all your maps out 6-8 months into the game's life.  Then we just play for the last 4-6 months, or we don't.  Yet another reason I didn't get the season pass this year, as a PS3 player the last map pack doesn't come out til sept/oct.  That gives me a month or two before the next title is out.  If it's a production thing and it just takes that long to make the material, so be it, but pushing content more often would be beneficial in my opinion.

Ha... no worries, brother.

That's a real good point about PS3 rollout. At this point, we have to hope Sledgehammer is paying attention...

matuzz

I think map packs should cost less. 15 $ for 3 new maps and one re-skin is too much. But the Ghosts itself is losing players and as consequence DLC sales fast. Checked Steam and there are more players in both Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3 than in Ghosts.

rainmaker6

rankismet wrote:

1. Make all MP maps free and mandatory.

You know this will never happen but making them cheaper certainly would help. I bought the season pass but it will be the last time unless they make it accessible to a lot more. There is no point in buying them if it fragments the player pool and makes the game unplayable. Season pass should be $20 at most. They are not even all new maps. Hell you get the game with same amount of new maps.

ahaha they will never make them cheaper, all they do is look for new and more boring ways to extract as much money as possible out of you suckers, all the while maintaining you have the worse gaming experience possible. Its a high standard to reach, but IW does it well!

If you got ghosts, your a mug.

If you got ghosts and any form of dc, you are clinically mad

nuttin2say

This is all the "cheap fix" solution to COD problems ... on the one hand.

On the other hand, I mean even a guy baling water out of the Titanic is at least doing something.

highlandsparky

DLC is just a mess and gets worse year after year...

If the Devs were really confident in their product, they would put the cost of purchasing the game up around £5 with all DLC included. Keep the micro-transactions as they are, for those who care to purchase.

Highwayman0226

Finally caved in and bought the dlc (friends talked me into it while drinking).  To my surprise, the Hardcore Onslaught moshpit with 1800 players in the playlist runs better than normal playlist.

PUR4IDO

They could also lower the price. $50 is quite a bit of money. Essentially, you're purchasing two games of COD every year. That doesn't even count the Micro-Trans. My H. Edition was $119 plus tax, which more than two games. What a joke.

I was tempted to hook up the good old 360 and start playing some older cods, but I hate dealing w hacked lobbies. They already got to Blops 1.

everytime I see a map pack map come up, i instantly vote against it and turn my mic on to tell others to do the same. Just to annoy those losers who keep feeding IW money for a terrible broken game which has no imagination what so ever.

AHAHa I never saw a map pack map played yet when I'm in the lobby