36 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2014 4:54 PM by Soldiercide RSS

    Is CoD still fun?

    scotland-rules

      Its interesting because fun is different to everyone. My definition of fun could and is different to your definition of fun.

       

      However one thing I've noticed and I've seen a few other comments about this is that CoD isn't fun playing on your own any more. Back in MW2 which was my favourite CoD I could play for hours on my own without a care and now I can barely stand to play this game for 5 minutes on my own because it isn't fun for me. Up until around half way through MW3 I could play every CoD on my own and have fun.

       

      However one thing I've noticed with them more recent CoDs - Black Ops 2 and Ghosts is that they are designing the game around a minority (you noticed this a lot in Black Op 2) around Esports and the competitive gaming scene which in truth doesn't even scratch the surface of the amount of players who play CoD.

       

      Everything is now or ends up being 'balanced' or tries to be (another rant for another day) and it all becomes too technical focused and this happened in BO2, everything got nerfed even when it didn't need a nerf because people who played CoD either via Esports or via League play deemed it necessary. Take the Akimbo Fully Auto Machine Pistol from BO2, I created a thread on that nerf and a couple of the comments said 'it was big on league play' and the simple fact is 90% of the CoD fan base isn't involved in MLG, ESports or even hardcore competitive gaming, sure they'll play to win but in a casual sense.

       

      I think CoD has become too focused on a small minority of the gaming community and not the gaming community at large and this is why I'm jealous of Xbox/PC having Titanfall is because that game actually looks like is fun and I don't think because of what Devs have said and what the people who've made videos on the Beta have said. I don't think there will be much of a major competitive gaming within Titanfall or at least for that one game.

       

      In conclusion, CoD has lost the major 'fun' appeal of old. Or maybe the series has gone too stagnant for my taste.

        • Re: Is CoD still fun?
          RunAndGun1

          The spawns and recently added lag have taken a lot of the fun out of COD.


          I was on a nice 9-1 run when suddenly I was spawn killed 5 times in a row bringing me to 9-6 in a matter of seconds. Throw in the lag and it's more frustrating then ever.

           

          I just jumped in COD4 a few minutes ago, and I had a lot more success playing that game then I do with Ghosts. It doesn't make any sense. I'm guessing that by April 4th when DLC #2 comes out, the spawns will still be broken. It's taking all this time to fix the spawns why should I expect any improvements in the next month?

          • Re: Is CoD still fun?
            Gerbera

            Overall, I still think it's decent, but yeah, it has gone down a few notches and, as you mentioned, part of it is because it seems a bunch of decisions on something like buffing/nerfing are based more on the thinking of the "professional" MLG players much more so than the general community. IIRC, it was really only due to MLG complaints that the MSBS, a perfectly fine and balanced AR at the time that, even after a month, hadn't seen that much public use, got unnecessarily nerfed due to being "OP" to them.

            • Re: Is CoD still fun?
              nicedrewishfela

              It is what you make it... Plain and Simple.

              • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                WhyNoName

                I agree that when playing solo, the past titles were way more fun.  Up until BO2 and Ghosts for me.  The primary reason for this is what they did with Merc mode.  BO2 made it a moshpit, everyone left it.  Merc mode doesn't even exist in Ghosts does it?

                 

                Merc TDM and Merc Dom were awesome to play as people could play and not worry about spawn trapping teams and organized groups.  It was about fun and having 1 player turn the tide of the game.  Yes, that can still happen, but not very often.

                 

                The removal of playable Merc modes is a core reason why solo play has basically become a less fun avenue of COD.  I play solo quite a bit still, but it simply feels like grinding out games.

                • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                  NoLifeKing32

                  The two games that took this series in the very wrong direction were MW2 and BO2, fortunately the game that immediately followed MW2 righted the ship, unfortunately, Ghosts hasn't done the same. While its better than BO2 so much has been stripped out of the game to make room for pointless customization options. I would gladly sacrifice every camo and character skin to bring back more game modes, unfortunately, it looks like playlist alterations are done for a while.

                    • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                      Gerbera

                      I can agree on the camos. It seems like a lot of action has been going to tons of customization things rather than the overall game itself...

                      • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                        RunAndGun1

                        NoLifeKing32 wrote:

                         

                        The two games that took this series in the very wrong direction were MW2 and BO2, fortunately the game that immediately followed MW2 righted the ship, unfortunately, Ghosts hasn't done the same. 

                        I agree about BO2. I disagree about MW2. MW2 was one of the best COD's in a long time. It was the last fun COD I've played. W@W gave me the highest scores I've ever had. Despite lag, W@W still came out ahead most other COD's before and since. So, W@W, COD4, MW2 are my favorite COD's, balance and scoring wise. The last 3 COD's have shown a progressive decay in balance and an increase in lag. If they ever get around to fixing the spawns - and reducing the lag - I might experience some fun before COD 2014.

                      • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                        It is fun.. sometimes yes and sometimes no. just depends upon the map, the team your on and the one your against.

                        • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                          xlwolfshirt1

                          Ghosts is downright frustrating to play.  The spawning and lag issues take all of the fun out of the game, and the terrible map design encourages camping and makes running and gunning difficult.

                           

                          Titanfall is a hell of a lot more fun than Ghosts.  Can't wait until Tues. so I can wash my hands of this dead franchise.

                            • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                              TF is fun to play for it caters to the mindless brute mentality of rushers. Ghosts is frustrating to you since you have to adapt how you play to each map and game mode and the other players in the game. You cant be a mindless rusher and still expect to do well in ghosts.

                                • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                  xlwolfshirt1

                                  It isn't mindless.  On the older titles I would move through the maps based on where I thought other players were and ambush them.  On Ghosts this is next to impossible because the map design has so many pathways and entrances that you can't move anywhere without getting flanked. 

                                    • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                                      In other words you required the limited pathways to do well. TF is going to be a seriously hated game for you then because you can get anywhere very easily by wall running/jumping/jetting. Meaning it will have a nearly unlimited ways of getting anywhere. No routes at all, no choke points. no lanes. See a building someone on second floor no need to go in and use stairs, just jump wall run, jump in window. Flanking methods are nearly unlimited in TF. If it has a window its an entrance, no camping doorways and stairs to control locations. No specific ambush routes at all. It is even more open in movement than Ghosts ever could be. So if the few extra routes on some maps are giving you issues, then TF will be a complete headache once people learn all the ways to move around the map. No place will be safe or secure, no route safe where a pilot cannot ambush you from multiple possible directions.

                                      • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                        rankismet

                                        xlwolfshirt1 wrote:

                                         

                                        It isn't mindless.  On the older titles I would move through the maps based on where I thought other players were and ambush them.  On Ghosts this is next to impossible because the map design has so many pathways and entrances that you can't move anywhere without getting flanked.

                                         

                                        That's your opinion... and entirely inaccurate.

                                  • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                                    The game is only fun when you're playing with your friends. playing alone its just frustrating, and you turn it off.

                                    • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                      RunAndGun1

                                      It is what you make it? Not really.

                                       

                                      What made COD fun in the past - in my sole experience - is that people played more as a team. Now, despite denials by many, camping has taken over as the primary approach to gameplay. I'm NOT talking about those who stop and look to assess their surroundings, or see someone about to round a corner or enter a building and wait for them so they can shoot them. I AM talking about those who literally spend most of the match camping in one spot without hardly moving at all, waiting for some poor soul to cross their paths and shoot them.

                                       

                                      I've never seen camping at this level in all the previous CODs I've played, going back to COD2. Sure, there will always be camping, but at this level? Not only is camping ruining the fun factor, but stat addicted players are as well. They play the lone wolf thinking that's the only way to level up and get that awesome KDR. Personally, I've found that the MORE I play as a team the more successful I am, not only at having more fun but getting the goodies and fancy stats that so many people play for as lone wolves.

                                       

                                      Admittedly, there are times when you have to be the lone wolf when no one else on your team plays as a team. So, in those cases, you really have no choice except to leave the match. The fact that the devs added "callouts" to the game's AI voiceovers shows that not many people are playing as a team.

                                       

                                      And yes, the focus on eSports/MLG has further diminished CODs relevance and fun. But, I'm not surprised either. MLG and eSports are promotional tools. Promotions = $$$$$.....sometimes. Sometimes they're just annoying. As MLG and eSports are annoying. Sure, fun to watch...sometimes. But way too ego / money driven.

                                        • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                                          Most nights on twitch there's 5-7000 viewers for ghost it's dead when it comes to people watching also as a sport.

                                          • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                            rlbl

                                            This touch more to the point, that it is not the game as much as it is the players.  Not saying the game is perfect (or anywhere near the best), but:

                                             

                                            "if the players that joined the series in later CODs, had played the earlier CODs, the earlier games would have been just as frustrating"

                                             

                                            I guess a question one could ask is: Has the game, as much as the community, driven people to play the way they do today (example: not everyone gets points for capping a flag.. so why cap it?)

                                          • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                            Bubble Brawl

                                            I am still enjoying CoD. I definitely agree with a lot of the replies though. It's not as fun as it used to be. I was 15 when CoD 4 came out. That was possibly the most fun I ever had. Totally agree with RunAndGun 1. CoD 4, WaW, and MW2 are my absolute favorite. To summarize, I think the earlier games were more "simple" and the more recent games are more "complex". One little change nowadays and goodness... The series has become much more competitive. They obviously need to make money and want to appeal to that group. I could give a damn about the competition. Never have and probably never will waste my time getting involved with a clan. I don't care THAT much. I really like what someone said here in a different post (don't remember the name). Said that it used to be "hey, good game" but has become so much more competitive. Trash talking all the time. I can't count how many times I've heard the generic little kid's voice and someone probably around my age and then garbage, camper, or your mom is mentioned. Like really..? Basically, I'm enjoying the game yes. But I definitely believe it WAS more fun. What I'm getting is that the series is leaning too much in the 10-14 year old fan base.

                                              • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                rlbl

                                                Bubble Brawl wrote:

                                                 

                                                ... It's not as fun as it used to be. I was 15 when CoD 4 came out. That was possibly the most fun I ever had. Totally agree with RunAndGun 1. CoD 4, WaW, and MW2 are my absolute favorite. .... What I'm getting is that the series is leaning too much in the 10-14 year old fan base.

                                                 

                                                My sincere apologies if I am misquoting you but I see two things:

                                                 

                                                - You indicate that the game is leaning to the 10-14 yr old fan base, but you stated you were 15 when COD4 came out. pretty convenient that you made the cut-off 14 years (*snicker*)

                                                - Leaving that aside, I think you bring up a good point though: People have been playing the series for years. Although it is totally possible that the previous games were just better, people need to consider that as we get older, we get bored of things and our tastes change (not saying for the better, just saying they change).

                                                 

                                                What would be interesting (and there is no way to test this) but: "what if the games came out in the reverse order that they did":

                                                - instead of having customizable streaks, the game reduced it to 3 only (e.g. back in 2006-7 you could have assault and support and have it customized per class)

                                                - instead of having 60-100 classes (Ghosts/BO2), it went back to 10 max

                                                - what if the 10-14 year olds started playing today, but in 2013 the game was essentially COD4 (not called COD4 obviously).

                                                - etc etc etc

                                                 

                                                I wonder if people would be loving how the series is "improving", or would the community be complaining that things are going backwards?  I wonder if there would be as much "camping" in the later games, or did the games actually drive camping and therefore the 2013 release would actually have less?

                                                 

                                                Again, there is no way to prove anything either way. Many would say they would love it the next game went back to COD4/W@W style where there were only 3 streaks... but somehow, I doubt people would really like it (even though many claim they would: We tend to forget that change is often not welcomed, and the reason why we liked things of the past can be because that is what we knew, as well as it maybe was better... but maybe... it wasn't)

                                                 

                                                "People love to reminisce about the "Golden Years", but if you think long and hard about it: They were actually a bit rusty"

                                                - my Grandfather

                                                  • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                    Bubble Brawl

                                                    Regarding that quote, I see your point. Haha. It doesn't exactly make me look good. I think when I said 10-14 years old, I was considering a few people in my mind (little brothers of my friends) who are extreme zombie fans and or multiplayer tryhards that care way too much about their stats. There are definitely people in the 15 and 16 year old range that are like that too. I think I was just avoiding putting those numbers out there. I don't want to be grouped with them. I've always played CoD the same way, to have fun. I think the fan base (definitely the competitive players that care too much) is likely 10-16 year olds. Does that seem accurate? It's just my experience. I've seen a lot of people grow up and pick CoD up. When I read the forums, listen to the conversations in a lobby in game and personally take a glance at a middle schooler playing CoD, it's pretty easy to make that judgement. I believe CoD was looked at very differently around 07 and 08. I remember having tons of fun and I think most others were having the same experience. But the series became progressively more competitive. Anyone playing CoD today is entering a totally different experience.

                                                     

                                                    And I agree that I doubt that many people would enjoy only 3 killstreaks again... I commented in a different discussion. I personally would love to see one last WWII CoD game. Yes, there has been a few but I think CoD has improved in many ways. Futuristic is a little uncomfortable for me. It is pretty interesting and the campaigns are great but I'd like to see a step back or a few. One more WWII CoD. They could definitely put in multiple killstreaks/scorestreaks. I think it would be amazing.

                                                • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                  newm8n

                                                     I still enjoy it, right now I am working on gold guns which is fun but frustrating all at the same time.

                                                  • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                    Ascension-Xx

                                                    Every CoD has been unique, fun and amazing.

                                                     

                                                    Including Ghosts. Props to Activision.

                                                      • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                        Bubble Brawl

                                                        Agreed. Every CoD has been unique and fun in some way. I have my favorites but I have enjoyed them all. I really like the IW games over Treyarch's. WaW is awesome, I just wish it was playable... One thing that gets me about the Black Ops games is the story and how Treyarch started their own modern warfare game. I can see others disagreeing with me, but this is my opinion. The story is fun and interesting, but I still think it's weird and not so much a good weird. It seemed like a lame way for Treyarch to get their own modern warfare/futuristic CoD going. Then again, had they just came out of the blue with a brand new story, would that have looked better? Basically, tying WaW together with Black Ops didn't appeal that much to me. It may sound unfair to say so little, but I love the MW games. Great games, very good story. Same goes for Ghosts.

                                                      • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                        HEREIAMNOW

                                                        If they used ghosts perk system (with a little more tweaking), add back in the old killstreaks, no deathstreaks, and the complexity of MW2 maps (which are absolutely awesome), I would buy that game 10x over, as long as they kept upgrading graphics and implemented DD servers.

                                                          • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                                                            MW2 maps were not complex at all. They are less complex than Ghosts maps. Take off the rose tinted glasses when looking back at past games. Dont need the old streaks that did half the job for you.. that is one thing Ghosts got right and why the streak hunters and braggers dont like it.

                                                             

                                                            DD servers will not solve all issues that any game online has. They still have lag, and hit detection issues.

                                                              • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                                scotland-rules

                                                                MW2 actually had amazing maps that were big, yet offered multiple routes and depending on what perks you had you could seriously use the map to your advantage.

                                                                 

                                                                For example jumping off of a balcony into the river bed or whatever it was in the map rundown would either kill or hurt you really bad but if you had commando pro (no falling damage) and speed perk such as lightweight and marathon, you could open a rush route and catch people who'd usually peak round the corner and block off a bridge access.

                                                                 

                                                                So it was the little things like that which made the game special.

                                                                  • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                                    rankismet

                                                                    scotland-rules wrote:

                                                                     

                                                                    MW2 actually had amazing maps that were big, yet offered multiple routes and depending on what perks you had you could seriously use the map to your advantage.

                                                                     

                                                                    For example jumping off of a balcony into the river bed or whatever it was in the map rundown would either kill or hurt you really bad but if you had commando pro (no falling damage) and speed perk such as lightweight and marathon, you could open a rush route and catch people who'd usually peak round the corner and block off a bridge access.

                                                                     

                                                                    So it was the little things like that which made the game special.

                                                                     

                                                                    Everything you just described is also in this game. Not tracking.

                                                                      • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                                        scotland-rules

                                                                        rankismet wrote:

                                                                         

                                                                        scotland-rules wrote:

                                                                         

                                                                        MW2 actually had amazing maps that were big, yet offered multiple routes and depending on what perks you had you could seriously use the map to your advantage.

                                                                         

                                                                        For example jumping off of a balcony into the river bed or whatever it was in the map rundown would either kill or hurt you really bad but if you had commando pro (no falling damage) and speed perk such as lightweight and marathon, you could open a rush route and catch people who'd usually peak round the corner and block off a bridge access.

                                                                         

                                                                        So it was the little things like that which made the game special.

                                                                         

                                                                        Everything you just described is also in this game. Not tracking.

                                                                        Actually it isn't, the maps have a much greater different flow to them which in itself is good and bad.

                                                                • Re: Is CoD still fun?
                                                                  scotland-rules

                                                                  The maps on Ghosts are very much different from the maps on MW2, the flow is different and the feeling while playing them is different.

                                                                   

                                                                  I'm not saying that is a bad thing.

                                                                    • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                                                                      Different is a good thing, it makes you learn more about how you play and how to play. Allowing you to learn new strategies to play against a wider group of players. Copy paste play takes less skill and is why most dont like how much ghosts changed from past games. Because their skills are less in it than past games and they feel they should not have to learn or adapt to the new game. That instead developers should just make games that let their current level of skill transfer directly over to the new game.

                                                                       

                                                                      I can remember when BO came out people complained about it too as not being fun, as not being CoD and it was for the same reason. Which is why BO2 was made more cluster fudge and people liked it because they got kills more often and thus more exp, and higher stats, and more levels sooner.

                                                                       

                                                                      If a game takes longer to level the prestige hunters cry its too slow, if if it takes more than 5 seconds for the first kill the rushers cry its too slow. This generation of players is filled with adrenaline monkeys that need quick matches and high scores  with fast kills and streaks that do half the work in order to validate playing the game as fun to them.

                                                                    • Re: Is CoD still fun?

                                                                      The game you mentioned is excellent, and has absolutely no competitive bile, but then the team that made it told MLG specifically to....well, they wouldn't acquiesce to their designs to modify the game for competition when they were in charge of the COD franchise (I was a consultant for MLG at the time).  I do agree with your points however, which is the very reason why I chose not to render my services to MLG prior to the launch of premium.  This game is no longer a shooter, it is a military accessory game designed to cater to a specific set of tactics, primarily camping.  I'm hoping that Sledgehammer has some fresh ideas, because the talent left the building when the original IW team departed.