28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2014 9:06 PM by slyd0g55 RSS

Game Improvements

rainmaker6

I though after reading all those agenda filled game improvement threads I would post one without any personal agenda except to improve the game. So here are my suggestions for IW

User selectable spawn points. Let’s face it IW have no clue how to pick appropriate spawn locations (hence the IW inspired thread). In addition if users could select their spawn locations it would eliminate the spawn trapping.  Of course there would need to be restrictions like only on the ground level with minimum distances apart to ensure the points would be distributed throughout the map while not allowing players to spawn in highly advantageous vantage points. Of course the challenge would be to set up these appropriate restrictions but if these restrictions could be worked out it would correct a major flaw in the game.

New point streak mechanism in objective based games. Since many of the problems with objective based games are players kill whoring and not going for the objective, change the reward mechanism. Have a 2 tiered system where kills reward players with support streaks (which also help their team) and objectives (which are inherently high risk and hurt a player’s K/D) reward players with assault streaks that get them kills. Since I don’t actually play objective based games this would have
      no impact on me but I think it would be beneficial to the game mode.

Brink back UAV as a 6 kill support streak only. The fact is UAVs are the quintessential support streak. Problem with UAVs in previous COD was the spamming. Make it a 6 point support streak and
      since it would be a support streak only it would eliminates the spamming. To balance this “new” more effective support streak reduce OTG to 2 points. I think stats will prove OTG is not used by many because of the reduced effectiveness of satcoms and high cost of OTG. If you make them more effective it must also be balanced by a less expensive OTG.

Add noise to the thermal image. Incog does not effectively counter thermals. In fact there are articles on the web that show it is actually easier to see opponents through foliage in a black and
      white rather than in color. So just making opponents grey does not actually counter thermals.

Brink back better aerial kill streaks and stinger missiles. I rarely see anyone using blind eye (yes I think the stats would prove it) which speaks volumes on the frequency and effectiveness of the current aerial kill streaks available. In addition they were fun to use and shoot down (yes I always carried a stinger in MW2).

Finally if you use ideas people post in the forum give them credit for it by either mentioning them in your credits or putting their names on building or billboards in the maps. I think it would be a nice touch as a thank you.

• Re: Game Improvements

I give it a go. Sounds good to me.

sennalike

rainmaker6 wrote:

User selectable spawn points. Let’s face it IW have no clue how to pick appropriate spawn locations (hence the IW inspired thread). In addition if users could select their spawn locations it would eliminate the spawn trapping.  Of course there would need to be restrictions like only on the ground level with minimum distances apart to ensure the points would be distributed throughout the map while not allowing players to spawn in highly advantageous vantage points. Of course the challenge would be to set up these appropriate restrictions but if these restrictions could be worked out it would correct a major flaw in the game.

I agree, something needs to be done. You would think with larger maps the situation would have improved, not got worse. Revenge spawns are to blame, I think.

rainmaker6 wrote:

New point streak mechanism in objective based games. Since many of the problems with objective based games are players kill whoring and not going for the objective, change the reward mechanism. Have a 2 tiered system where kills reward players with support streaks (which also help their team) and objectives (which are inherently high risk and hurt a player’s K/D) reward players with assault streaks that get them kills. Since I don’t actually play objective based games this would have no impact on me but I think it would be beneficial to the game mode.

I agree, KD should not be a factor in objective games, and I like the idea of no assault streaks unless you are playing the objective.

rainmaker6

sennalike wrote:

rainmaker6 wrote:

I agree, something needs to be done. You would think with larger maps the situation would have improved, not got worse. Revenge spawns are to blame, I think.

And they reintroduced the worst spawn in Stonehaven were you would spawn in the castle next to the wall while someone was camped in the back. Can they do anything right? This was an obvious problem and they make the same mistake twice.

Rayquaza39

They definitely need to fix it so that you actually get a point towards your streak when capping a flag. Only the first person gets the point, which should be changed to give everyone person who contributed to capping or neutralizing the flag (getting enemy flag bar to halfway makes it neutral). I think adding that tier system wouldn't be the right way to fix it. It doesn't seem right for caps to give assault streaks since then much more people would be going for triple caps, flipping the spawns and screwing over teammates who are not ready for the triple cap just to get the streak.

rainmaker6

There might not be a perfect solution but at least this one rewards you for trying to win the game as opposed to pad your stats. And those who just kill whore only don't really need rewards that help their stats.  Since I don't play that game mode I don't really know if there are a lot of caps during the game. If not the assault streaks don't even need to reset when you die.

Rayquaza39

Some Dom games I see teammates crowded on the flags like the aliens near a flare just to get credit for capping. But this doesn't happen often enough to the point where assault streaks should reset if this system was made. But it definitely is a clever idea.

TheDarkOne123

This is the first post in awhile that I can agree on.

TheDarkOne123

Two things you should add selectable lobbies as well to reduce latency. Also on the objective based games I would instead of your system instead they add double points for completing, capturing, or defending objectives. Kill Confirmed should be one point every tag instead of double. This would promote objective playing even more cause the kill whores would be able to get things faster if they played the objective.

1. I disagree with more air assault and support streaks. I have mentioned before, Ghosts multiplayer is limited to by the campaign which found America without air support and with greatly reduced tech capability. This carried over into multiplayer and because of that there are no A-10s or Preditors. Plus the MAAWs is a stinger that can be fired at ground targets too. I have found it VERY easy to kill a hind with it. Almost too easy since the ability to get a hind is a lot harder than a MAAWS. I understand WHY you want UAV's and such, it just would not fit with the game storyline.

2. I agree with the spawn issue

3. I somewhat agree with the point system in Domination. I loved how BO2 was point based, but they need to balance KD and Points in objective OR a lot of players wont play them. And you need them to play for lobbies with high numbers. I don't have problems with defenders as long as the person is defending a flag. I have MAJOR issues with people that find a high traffic spot and just camp. But it irritates me when some people think the enitre team has to cap always. Do you hold ALL 3 flags? Do you just keep running out and dying over and over? If anything KD should just be susspended during things like Domination.

nicedrewishfela

Great post, I think all are valuable points.

I guess my concern is with user-selected Spawns. I am still trying to wrap my head around if that would work or not in this game. The spawns need to improve, I just don't know if the User-selected spawns would improve or worsen the situation. I have seen user decisions before through my random teammates... and I wouldn't trust them to choose where to spawn.

I worry about the rebirth of boosting with a system like that as well... Choose my spawn? Sure, let me spawn next to my Boosting Buddy. Not discounting the idea, but have some concerns. I'd like to see them introduce "ghosting" upon spawning in to give the player a chance to get oriented similar to CS Go, I think that might be the best solution.

Love the other ideas. They are constructive, fair solutions to issues within the game.

UAV should not be an assault streak and should be more difficult to earn in Support.

rainmaker6

Similar to how it works now (theoretically ) if an enemy is withing a certain proximity the game should choose another spawn point and if the game is 6vs 6 there would need to be at least 7 spawns.

The restrictions that would need to be employed would be the critical element to get right. To make it easier on the spawn logic it could be something like having the developers dividing the map into let say 8 defined areas and you have to pick 1 spawn point in each of the 8 areas. And the spawn points must be a minimum distance apart (so you could not have 2 points in adjacent areas right next to each other). And if any opponent is in that defined area it would not spawn you there. Optimally it would pick a spawn without any opponent in the defined area or an adjacent area if possible.

nicedrewishfela

I think this could work.

I stated in another thread about call outs that I would like to see them clearly delineate areas of the map and bring back the Pause Menu showing these areas. Bring back the Grid from BO (why was this scrapped?) and overlay the maps with sectors and Points of Interest (The Mine on Siege, The Bar on WarHawk, etc). This helps with call outs and communication, which also helps teams avoid horrible spawns as well.

But when you need to spawn, you can choose a sector. If a Sector is compromised or contested, it would reflect that on the map. Safe Spawn zones would be indicated as well as areas where your team has dominance or the enemy is not. Spawns should NOT be in open areas, but in corners or walled in areas with limited sight lines.

My only concern there would be allowing people to spawn BEHIND the enemy. As a guy who has played a lot on full teams, it is a goal to keep the teams limited to certain areas of the map. If you let that team spawn behind them, it just takes away strategy and punishes teams for good teamwork. If the system were smart enough to eliminate those kinds of spawns, I think it might just work out.

rainmaker6

Unfortunately it will never happen in this release since it would require significant time and money to develop. You have to get the restrictions and spawn logic right and it would require a lot of testing on each map to define the zones. All we can hope for on this game is better spawns and after reading some of the replies on the IW thread I am not even sure the information provided is helping. In fact I think it is just confusing the situations. Ultimately someone has to lead the effort to correct the situation. And unfortunately  presently there are too many cooks.

RunAndGun1

Yea, I like the idea of selectable spawns, too. I've used them in BF quite well. But, in COD the maps aren't big enough in my opinion for it to work well enough. Even in BF, I've picked a teammate to spawn near only to get killed because I spawned in the middle of crossfire. Sadly, the same thing would happen in COD if we had selectable spawns, and even more so because of the smaller "large" maps.

On the really large maps of BF it works more often, because you can also choose to spawn near a flag/objective. But, again, we need larger maps then what COD has now for it to work. And larger maps would tick off more COD players despite the benefits of better spawns.

Honestly, I don't understand why the spawns in Ghosts turned out so horribly. I've never seen spawns this bad in any previous COD. Not this bad, this often. As I've suggested elsewhere, I would like to see them fix specific maps and have us play them and get our feedback. I'm not sure if that's possible. Maybe it won't work with how their system is set up.

rainmaker6

Haven't played BF4 but don't you parachute from above? Since you just spawn in Ghost you can pick points behind cover. With selectable spawns there is a responsibility put on the player to pick good locations (if you choose not to use the default spawns). The ruins next to the crash site in Stohaven are a good example. There are a bunch structures you could select to spawn underneath. And because you don't know if if an opponent picked the crash site or underneath one of the stuctures you can't just wait for them to poke their head out on that one location because that might not be their spawn.

I_Am_Tsukuyomi

i like the ideas they seem promising iv been playing CoD since CoD 3 and iv always used the UaV and i still dont understand why there hasnt been any additions of a lock on rocket

Create an algorithm where the system spawns you close to your teammates *only* if they are a reasonable distance from the enemy and spawn you in a corner (so not spawned into a sniper trap).  Let there be a delay of 1-2 seconds on respawn so the system can take into account other respawns while at the same time determining you will not spawn on top of an explosive and not down the sights of a waiting opponent.

When I respawn it's usually instant death for me or instant death to the unsuspecting opponent who did nothing wrong but have a revenge spawn behind them.

rainmaker6

Selectable spawns would make it very difficult for someone to intentionally put an exposive next to it so it's another problem it solves. Now I am not going to say it would never happen but it makes it much more difficult.

Carvalho16

Good points OP, can't disagree with any of them.

stumpsigpi

Putting the air game back into the kill streaks would make this game a lot more attractive. I miss the AC130, I miss firing off the javelin, but I especially miss the predator.  Yeah the tri-rocket thingy is similar, but not as appealing to use for me.

rainmaker6

I miss the Chopper Gunner. My streaks in MW2 were Harrier, Hind and Chopper Gunner. Went 50 and 5 in TDM on Highrise. My best game ever. To this day I remember that game. I went 40-1 2 days ago on Stonehaven but I don't find the game memorable in the same way it was in MW2.

I also find that with the aerial kill streaks out it allows you to play more aggressive as the other teams tries to avoid them or shoot them down. Exclusively gun on gun slows down the game which for the most part this game is. The wow factor is missing as well. I don't think it is an accident that Titanfall has all those Titans with big explosions in the game either. I don't think it will have legs because of the bots and "everyones a winner" mentality but the wow factor they got right.

There is also 1 other improvement I forgot to mention.

Bring back the Random Care Pack. Field orders are stupid. Just give the lower skilled players a better mechanism to get the more powerful kill streaks. They were removed because some elitist players complained these players didn't earn them. A lot of these elitist complainers are also raving about Titanfall. Well in Titanfall everyone gets a Titan and you don't have to kill anything to "earn" it.

Edit: And the added bonus of care packs is they encourage player movement, which improves game play. The more care packs that are falling the more players move around trying to steal them.

rainmaker6

And one last suggestion to the original list.

Restrict the Ghillie Suit to players using sniper rifles. The ability to disappear in plain sight should be restricted to guns that rely on concealment to be successful. If a player hasn't selected a sniper rifle as their primary weapon they shouldn't have access to the suit.