19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2014 3:50 PM by TheDarkOne123 RSS

Ghosts is over...

MP playability is terrible and getting worse...  Lag, lag compensation, frame rate drops, I don't care what you call it PLAYABILITY is crap.  You go on YouTube and the 'solution' that you get is to cripple your own connection.  Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't...  in the end though, it doesn't matter.  If this is the 'solution', even if it works just once, people are going to do it... then more and more are going to cripple their connections every day and ultimately EVERYONE is going to suffer.

Note to future developers of online games...  ENCOURAGE good internet connections.  If nothing else doing this allows developers the luxury of, should players have issues or complaints, referring those players to their respective ISPs...   "It's their fault!  Not ours!"

• Re: Ghosts is over...
          Izjar11

N8Boy wrote:

MP playability is terrible and getting worse...  Lag, lag compensation, frame rate drops, I don't care what you call it PLAYABILITY is crap.  You go on YouTube and the 'solution' that you get is to cripple your own connection.  Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't...  in the end though, it doesn't matter.  If this is the 'solution', even if it works just once, people are going to do it... then more and more are going to cripple their connections every day and ultimately EVERYONE is going to suffer.

Note to future developers of online games...  ENCOURAGE good internet connections.  If nothing else doing this allows developers the luxury of, should players have issues or complaints, referring those players to their respective ISPs...   "It's their fault!  Not ours!"

though the problem of connectivity has been complained about in every COD game (and if you are suffering from it, it sucks) the option to limit only those who have "higher quality" internet is probably not the best way to make a decent revenue for investors. Considering how large this game is (world wide) the ability to provide EVERYONE with a near perfect experience is impossible, you understand that right?

though the problem of connectivity has been complained about in every COD game (and if you are suffering from it, it sucks) the option to limit only those who have "higher quality" internet is probably not the best way to make a decent revenue for investors. Considering how large this game is (world wide) the ability to provide EVERYONE with a near perfect experience is impossible, you understand that right?

Yes, I realize that providing a "near perfect experience" is impossible.  Where in my post did I even mention 'perfection'?  I was/am simply lamenting the apparent ENCOURAGEMENT of poor connections.  I am lucky enough to have access to a very good internet connection.  If I were to try to play Ghosts with other people with similarly good internet connections WE as a group could expect a satisfactory gaming experience with minimal issues... everybody wins.

However... with the current experience, the way the system is set up, poor connections are being rewarded.  As a result persons with very good connections that COULD be benefiting the whole community are PURPOSEFULLY crippling their connections so as to take advantage of this 'bad connection reward'.  I personally have already seen a degradation in playability as there are fewer and fewer solid connections available.  Everyday frustrated people, of which there are more and more every day, are crippling their connections on purpose.  Soon there will not be any solid connections out there to provide a quality match.  Lack of quality matches translates into lack of playability, which turns into lack of fun, which leads to dwindling fan base, which leads to lower sales, which leads to poor revenues and disappointed investors. 

As for me personally, this iteration of COD is the LAST that I buy opening day.  It is so bad and sets such a poor precedence for the community (IMO) that I will extensively research, read MANY reviews, and still wait a few months to see what those who still have faith say before I buy.  As it is, this is the first edition of COD where I will not be buying any of the DLC.  I'm probably not the only one, and that can't be good for your revenues or investors.

Izjar11

N8Boy wrote:

Yes, I realize that providing a "near perfect experience" is impossible.  Where in my post did I even mention 'perfection'?  I was/am simply lamenting the apparent ENCOURAGEMENT of poor connections. 

I never said that you mentioned it, nor did I quote your words that you did. Simply stating the obvious is that the best connection or ideal connection is eradicate and hard to predict because there is no perfection.

N8Boy wrote:

If I were to try to play Ghosts with other people with similarly good internet connections WE as a group could expect a satisfactory gaming experience with minimal issues... everybody wins.

I live in Florida and party up with a group from Ohio, to the Northern states and in between and we play and have minimal issues in this game, that said this wasnt an option in Bo2 for some reason.

N8Boy wrote:

However... with the current experience, the way the system is set up, poor connections are being rewarded.  As a result persons with very good connections that COULD be benefiting the whole community are PURPOSEFULLY crippling their connections so as to take advantage of this 'bad connection reward'. 

This is false, you might feel it so but what you write is a poor view on how the game connects you and others online. There is no "rewarding" if you are on a listen server perhaps the issue is you are delayed and that sucks (I've had it happen to me). Honestly, if you find yourself tinkering with your connection to make it worse, or less reliable than (just saying) someone who does this should not play this game. Its foolish to have to do this, to play one game. That means you like the game far too much to care.

N8Boy wrote:

As for me personally, this iteration of COD is the LAST that I buy opening day.  It is so bad and sets such a poor precedence for the community (IMO) that I will extensively research, read MANY reviews, and still wait a few months to see what those who still have faith say before I buy.  As it is, this is the first edition of COD where I will not be buying any of the DLC.  I'm probably not the only one, and that can't be good for your revenues or investors.

Yea if your not happy dont play its quiet simple. And I have no stock in Activision so my "revenues" are in-existent so are my "investors". I just post man.

yeah but i think the game should be able to read what your connection it is and match you with like connections.. they would prob argue that they are doing this, but in reality they either are not, or they are not doing a  very good job of it

IMO best connection should ALWAYS WIN.. the better the connection, the better your chanced of survival is.. this is not always the case

gotsomestars

Just so you know, what you call "lag comp" does not punish those with more bandwidth. Also limiting your bandwidth has ZERO to do with any of it. Lag is in every game. If you are experiencing a lot of it that sucks. But the first and only thing you can do is do everything you can to improve/stabilize your end. What the other 11 people do in each lobby is not something you can control.

Just so you know, what you call "lag comp" does not punish those with more bandwidth. Also limiting your bandwidth has ZERO to do with any of it. Lag is in every game. If you are experiencing a lot of it that sucks. But the first and only thing you can do is do everything you can to improve/stabilize your end. What the other 11 people do in each lobby is not something you can control.

1.  I don't call it "lag comp", it's just what I have seen other people call an issue they are having.

2.  If "limiting your bandwidth has ZERO to do with any of it"... why are people doing it AND seeing improvement in their playability of Ghosts?

3.  Yes, Lag is in every game (unless the laws of physics have changed recently) the goal is to limit it... not encourage it...

Ultimately #2 is the big issue that effects the community as a whole.  If players keep seeing an improvement in playability IF/WHEN they cripple their connections THEY ARE GOING TO DO SO to the detriment of us all.  

RunAndGun1

Dedis are the solution. Dedicated servers have always provided better multiplayer gaming experiences. Bad connections are rewarded in P2P/listening server setups. It's obvious to me when every time I upgrade my connection, the lag gets worse.

Every game I've ever played that was played over dedicated servers always provided more balanced gameplay. Because on dedicated servers, you're not beholden to the "host" or affected by others connections. In P2P/listening servers, you are affected. That's just the way it is. Sure, there will always be lag. But, every game I've played over dedicated servers has always been more consistent and balanced. Until COD is played over dedis for everyone, it will continue to decay in its online experience and loss of balance.

Highwayman0226

Dedi's aren't perfect, but they are probably the solution.  I wonder how the titanfall servers are running.  Might have to check their forum out.  They are using a new type of server for their multiplayer.

biron_w

I agree with you. Dedicated servers won't solve all the problems but they would limit them.

No host migration for a start.

People who played Gears Of War would know what a massive difference dedi servers made to the game compared to the first 2 games.

I also don't buy into this "you'll be on dedicated servers if you're near them" crap. There aren't any. Simple as that.

Highwayman0226

I feel like the dedicated servers are on the next gen consoles.  I play on both the PS3 and PS4 from the same router.  PS3 has double to triple the players online, yet it seems to lag so much more than the PS4.  The game runs near perfect for me on the PS4 as far as hit detection, and whoever shot first, generally wins.  So how is it my connection if it runs great on the system with less players to match with?

Highwayman0226

If you enable your QoS and choke your bandwidth, you'll get higher pings.

Soldiercide

I agree, and it's been a growing issue with this franchise; given the growing demo and ever expanding demand on bandwidth.  A simple solution is to do what another company did with a recently released online shooter: utilize the gift of dedicated servers (no lag, praise the gaming gods).  Then your connection is not dependent on another player host connection, and there is no need to impose bandwidth limitations that do little more than insight the desire to use the game as a Frisbee (they fly quite well, by the way).  I bought the Limited Edition of this game, and have barely touched it in months.  I have been playing Call of Duty since the original multiplayer (Call of Duty 2), and I just don't enjoy it anymore.

stumpsigpi

Ghosts has been one of my favorite CODs to date along with WAW and BO1 and I have had very little lag problems until tonight, but ....  Tonight I would throw a lethal and a second later it would come out of my hand and you can imagine how one on one battles went tonight for me.  So very frustrating.  

SixpathShinobi

I Have more lag issues in codGhost ghan any other cod before. I have a TimeWarner turbo connection with an open NaT /ghost ports and i've had to do more tweaks than with any other fps. Dedicated servers are great but cost the companies slot more to run.

iHattoriHanzo0

I must be one of the lucky ones for this title. I experienced a bunch of rubberband lag for the first couple months, but 99% of the time, lag or connectivity doesn't even enter my mind. A very different experience than i had with BO2.

I also haven't seen a host migration for months. I know this isn't the case for everyone from the posts I've read. But lag and host migrations have been a non issue for me with Ghosts. I do occasionally get a game ending with a message of "lost connection to host".

The developers and console makers have help pages on how to optimize your connection for gaming. the problem is that people just cant accept that its something that they should have to concern themselves with. They figure paying a higher price for internet service should mean having the best gaming experience. But most internet providers arent interested in building their network infrastructuure specifically for gaming. they are more interested in the ability to surf the web, stream some music or movies and downloading files. All these things can be done well with buffering the content ....  basically downloading it, then playing it back a couple seconds later.

The ideal environment for gaming however is quite different. You want to pull the trigger, and that bullet register instantly no matter what distance...... and that's just physically impossible.

TheDarkOne123

The simple solution would be to ban all players below ten by two it's called the modern age we aren't in the nineties anymore.

Rambler330

Dedicated servers would help a lot but won't eliminate the problem completely.

I believe the answer is for content providers, especially streaming and online gaming providers (anyone hosting time sensitive content where a late packet is useless) to start collecting and publishing response time statistics by provider.

They info should be searchable and give the ability to drill down to last hop (router). You could search for a provider in your specific geographic area and see what kind of quality of service (not to be confused with QOS settings) your particular provider's last hop router is experiencing.

This would give us the consumers info to take to our ISP and in some areas to the local Public Service Commission and get the ISP to fix and upgrade their network.

TheDarkOne123

There won't be dedicated servers Activision is too cheap to provide them I predict that even after 2018 Activision would still use P2P servers.