18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2014 12:12 PM by WolfRidge RSS

Is IW high or desperate?

WolfRidge

So I've just logged into the game and see that IW are trying to sell extra slots as part of the customisation package.  I've noticed the trend of trying to milk the Call of Duty fan for all we're worth but this is crazy!

Rather than begging Xbox players to try out the new maps for free in the hope they will buy them, why not try treating the whole community with parity.  Playstation players have as much right to this game as anyone else!  Judging the Next-Gen player counts I think maybe PS4 holds it's own.

We started out as passionate fans for this game,but COD like everything else has been polluted with the developers trying to get every last penny!

This franchise is great and as a long time fan,this desperation disappoints me.

All of these customisation items should be free!  We've earned them over the years.

Rant over

• Re: Is IW high or desperate?
          Highwayman0226

I'm fine with them selling weapons, maps, gun camo, char skins, whatever.  Selling us our 4 missing CaC slots is pretty shady though.

rainmaker6

Maps, gun camo, char skins fine. Anything that gives you an advantage over another player, no. Even if a gun isn't OP it has characteristics that would give you additional options on each map and the play style you use, and those additional options are an advantage.  The character skins could move into that territory if they ever make the ghillie suit something you would buy.

nicedrewishfela

I'd search, a lot of discussion over the Custom Slots out there.

But can't blame the Devs for a Contract MS and Activision signed for First Access.. they have to abide by it.

slyd0g55

You got 10 squad members to choose from (or however many you have unlocked) each squad member got 6 ,create a classes

= 60, why would you wanna spend $$$??,

I admit I'm not one for trying to many variables after the first prestige , because after the second I've got my loadout sorted - 4th prestige all squad members unlocked

The fact ,giving more $$$ towards  game add on's is just, well crazy to some, IW must be getting desperate because most of the community just can't afford to keep paying for a game with more add on's every year , bad enough we pay for season pass and they don't cycle with original maps ,why is this??, because (my opinion)

- buy maps / almost as expensive as buying the game by the time 1st DLC drops

- got to download maps to PS4 , /using up broadband - if  on a set amount

Most players just think well the next CoD will be in a year ,just make do with, till then

If they got rid of campaign mode I would maybe lol start spending $$$ on DLC content   

JesusHchrist

They can't cycle the DLC Maps as not everyone bought them and matching making lobbies would be a nightmare. We would have situations like 12 players in a lobby 11 have onslaught, 1 doesn't so the new maps don't come up as an option, so people will post why let the have nots into the same lobby, how far do we go ? do we stop those who don't buy the maps playing at all ? this franchise is now about $$$££££ and not about the player... people need to remember this... I bought the load out pack on XB1 and PS4 as the inability to swap solider in the game means sometimes I'm stuck with the wrong load out or some setups work better as on DLC hardcore you don't know what game is coming.. anyway the solution is map the maps free and sell the crap like ducky camo and wolf skins, even sell new weapons if thats what it takes and put every new map in rotation from the off.

slyd0g55

Yea but BO2 had a good system for players with and without map packs. I had players in our party with only DLC 1 or DLC 3 and it seemed to work out fine as well.

MW3 is when they started doing all this separate playlist jargon,

There's mixed feeling towards this ,

-   those who didn't buy map packs and can't find a game - the 1 answer best suited is, if you didn't buy map packs and can't find a game is because you bought it for the campaign mode only and multiplayer is a bonus ,

I didn't buy this game for campaign and if I spent money on season pass I should be rewarded with the full package deal , If Modern Warfare had started DLC playlists instead of cycling with original , later titles, many players would never had bought DLC content , It was my understanding that map packs was an 'add on' to the original , Hell, they add the weapons and camos with the original , maybe they might start doing that all separate as well!!!

Desperate maybe, or they change what shouldn't have been changed!

slyd0g55 wrote:

You got 10 squad members to choose from (or however many you have unlocked) each squad member got 6 ,create a classes

= 60, why would you wanna spend $$$??,

Not sure if anyone else has already said this, but even though you have 10 squad members, afaik, you cannot swap between them while in a match, the way you can easily swap between loadouts.

So, sure the total number of loadouts is the same as say in some previous games, at least the ones that had 10 custom loadouts anyway.  But it's not quite the same.

In between matches, I believe you can change your soldier.  But once you are in a match, you only have access to however many custom slots your currently selected soldier has.

Still, for those of us who have been playing COD for awhile now, at least for me, since COD4, we used to only have 5 custom loadouts. And, there was a time when you actually had to earn the extra loadouts by prestiging.

For me, the extra loadouts are only a slight advantage. For the most part, it really only comes into play if you need to react to some other players mostly douchebag tactics. For the most part, I prefer to run and gun and play with my favorite perks, weapons, and/or equipment, which I rarely change, except depending on the game mode. However, if I come up against douchebags that like to use explosives, especially noobtubes, IEDs, C4, etc. I have to break out the counter set ups.

slyd0g55

the point I was addressing was that those already done classes are saved , If you so happen to be in a game without a particular set-up would an extra create a class really make a difference? How many different loadouts could players actually use in one match? I could understand if it was about killstreaks and wanting to switch to maybe support or assault but really that's about it .

I tend to only play certain game modes so my classes rarely vary 

slyd0g55 wrote:

the point I was addressing was that those already done classes are saved , If you so happen to be in a game without a particular set-up would an extra create a class really make a difference? How many different loadouts could players actually use in one match? I could understand if it was about killstreaks and wanting to switch to maybe support or assault but really that's about it .

I tend to only play certain game modes so my classes rarely vary

As some people have stated, it can make a difference.  For people that change up their playstyles, depending on the map, depending on the mode (if you're playing a playlist that rotates game modes), or who may need to change loadouts (as I mentioned in my post) depending on how other people are playing.  Mostly tends to be the case if players are using explosives, then I put on blast shield.  If there's an Oracle or some kind of air support out, then I put on Blind Eye.  If there's an abundance of thermal and scanner users, then I put on Incog.  For the most part, I tend to not use those perks as often.  And during clan wars, I usually set up my loadouts for different match types rather than defensive loadouts, so I may not always have a class ready for the douchebaggery.  For me, particularly, I dont have too much of a problem with only 6 loadouts.  But, on the rare occasion, it might be nice to have some dedicated to defensive set ups when a situation springs up that I may not have anticipated.  Ideally though, I wish we could set up/edit classes on the fly.

In any case, personally, I would not pay for extra slots.  But it would be nice to be able to swap soldiers on the fly.  I will say, extra custom classes may provide a slight advantage.  But it isn't necessarily overpowering or unbalanced.

Izjar11

whenthetidalhits wrote:

For me, the extra loadouts are only a slight advantage. For the most part, it really only comes into play if you need to react to some other players mostly douchebag tactics.

This is what I see with regards to the extra slots: They are  convenience - thats all. If a player finds him/her self having to cycle through ten 'loadouts" to win, then the problem is not in the loadouts...its the player

slyd0g55

"problem is not in the loadouts...its the player"

Fully agree, constantly changing your class during a match ,is in my opinion not a good idea..

IN REPLY TO:

whenthetidalhits (to slyd0g55)   

"Ideally though, I wish we could set up/edit classes on the fly."

You would miss valuable time , as well as not supporting your team mates , I think instead of rushing into a game (now that the lobby time is a lot quicker) maybe spend a few minutes thinking which mode will I play , Am I playing solo? Whose in the party?

Most importantly what class suits me as a player,

(I spent my very 1st prestige on cycling weapons , 2nd prestige mixed up the perks - My headset is not compatible so I'm yet to fully explore Amplify) By the 4th you really should have a rough idea on what works with you!)

I have no problems with the create a class, with previous titles , I never used more than 5 classes 

UnGrumpy1

How it should be:

Villians pack: $3.99 Makarov pack + the three other villian skins

Heroes pack: $3.99 Price pack + the four other hero skins

Camo pack: $1.99 the four camo redicule packs

Camo pack 2:

hero pack 2

ect....

Extra create a class: Free

More prestiges: Free

The pricing is way too high. $2 for one skin....yeah not getting one cent from me now.

RunAndGun1

No, they're just greedy. If they really respected their players, they'd have dedicated servers for all platforms. Unless COD 2014 is played over dedicated servers, I'm not touching it. Or any other games played over P2P/listening servers.

Back before MW2 was going to be released, an IW rep mentioned in a video interview that they were considering dedicated servers. They should've went beyond "considering", and instead implemented dedicated servers. But, since COD was popular, they obviously didn't feel the need to. The whining about "oh, they're so expensive" has proven to be a running joke. When your game grosses $1 billion in its first week after release, you have the resources for investing in dedicated servers. There are many other games with a fraction of the players COD has that provide dedicated servers for their players. So, money becomes more about an excuse then a reason. As of today, I have yet to experience the so-called "hybrid" servers we've been told to expect. It's time to own up, or get out of the business.

Izjar11

I bought the skins because well, they are only 1.99 (which is fine to me) but I refuse to purchase the extra slots just to prove to them that this should have been part of the game and not sold. What I really do not like, is that they appear under every squad name as something to download.........I do not want to see the extra slots.

Just because you have played the game for years does not mean you earned anything or entitled to anything being free in the game ever.

ShocKuMzzz

They are neither high nor desperate. They are a business, not your best friend.

WolfRidge

That's a fair point, I understand the realities of business, but goodwill to customers can go a long way

A lot of players I'm guessing will not buy these extra items as IW are obviously trying to cash in (no prob with that) but if they offered up some freebies the gesture would encourage new customer loyalty.

I'm already well invested in this franchise, but there are new players (new business) all the time, the gesture would be well aimed at them.

Loads of companies think they can maximise profits this way but it's misguided!

They would sell MORE if they saw the bigger picture.

Thanks for the replies