38 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2014 5:29 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Why Activision-IW need to start reading these forums more often

thaesino

I recently read a post of someone asking if it would be a good idea for IW to "lock up the Operations again as they used to be, where they only came out every few days and not all at once."

This is one in MANY posts of people making all sorts of seemingly "ridiculous" requests, and yet, are they truly ridiculous? Is the game growing stale, not due to connection or camping or spawn issues but because the game itself isn't providing true fun, anymore?

Take this one gamer's request about "locking the Operations," again.

While I definitely think that after unlocking the Operations, more and more people have been throwing hissy fits because they've gone full Prestige and have nothing else to do in the game and there is no "Fresh Start," do we not understand how they may feel? Let's face it, not everyone is interested in getting all the patches or all the camos for every single weapon, but people were pretty excited when everything was finally unlocked; at least at first, they were. Maybe Activision-IW need to begin paying attention to all these "dumb" or "thoughtless" requests, and note that perhaps they are quite simply a symptom of a growing tedium for the franchise.

Now, I do not claim to know what they should or shouldn't do. Should they, like some suggest, release new Kill Streaks and/or equipment? Should they finally deliver on the promise of the dedicated server, as others continue to hope for? I do not know.

One thing is for certain, though, the Franchise and its Developers/Publishers do not have the luxury of taking any more chances right now and they really need to think up every possible scheme so that CoD players (on the 360, especially) do not leave them when that other game with the "robots" finally comes out on the 8th of April, which, coincidentally, is four days after the release of the next DLC (yeah right, "coincidentally" ).

With Warface coming out this summer, IW really needs to start giving us more than just maps with their DLCs, and discontinue charging us so damn much for a set that only has three new maps and one re-skinned old map. (I will not even mention how horrendous the prices are for all other items. Some people do not mind paying $4 for a character skin, or $2 for a wolf.)

If someone asked me right now to be thoughtfully honest about what I think is going on, I'd say it seems like IW is charging so much for all these petty things because they have been ordered to bail ship by Activision. Activision has already told them that this will be their last game as IW Studio and that the franchise is going to be left for Sledgehammer and Treyarch to continue.

But of course, no one is asking me and I wouldn't know these things anyway. Just a wild guess.

• Re: Why Activision-IW need to start reading these forums more often

thaesino, i know this isn't appropriate for your post but is there a way for me to restart my multiplayer game?

JTerk498

No way to reset stats. They removed it from this game.

thaesino

It's actually very appropriate, Chippster13. This is precisely what I mean in my post. Gamers, such as yourself, continue requesting things that would no doubt make them want to KEEP PLAYING THE GAME, which - for the sake of the franchise - it means that you would keep PAYING for the game.

You're certainly not the first to ask for such a thing, and yet, nothing has been done about it. There are people who reached 10th Prestige by January and were requesting it THEN, and yet... no response; nothing.

I recently started dually playing both Ghosts and Black Ops II, and when I put in my Blops 2 disc, I forgot I had gotten almost everything there was to get and had 10th Prestige. So... naturally, I did a Fresh Start. At that moment, I though to myself... "Wait. Ghosts doesn't have the ability to do this. What??" I couldn't understand.

There are people who went so far as to start fresh 4 or 5 times while Blops 2 was the newer game. They'd get bored and go and play MW3, but then they'd be back to Blops 2 with a fresh start. They'd do things like upload crazy moments to Theater mode and whatnot. Stupid little things that, all together, have the possibility of making a game ACTUALLY fun. Now, is Blops 2 without its many problems? No. But the playlists were ALWAYS full. Is Ghosts not a fun game? OF COURSE it's a fun game. But I have to admit, along with others, that the fun in Ghosts got old much quicker than it did in Black Ops II.

Am I a Treyarch fan? Not at all. My favorite games have been MW, MW2, WaW, and Black Ops 2. Blops was okay and MW3 was okay. I haven't decided on Ghosts just yet, because I feel that there is still room for improvement.

Will Activision-IW improve this game before it's too late? Who knows! Maybe they know it's not "as fun" and that's why they didn't add a "Fresh Start" option. They didn't want people to get bored even faster.

Maybe they just didn't add it because they're dense and do not see that people on here keep asking for little things that are certainly doable on their part. Such as bringing back Demolition and Drop Zone.

Whatever the case, it is in their hands to improve the game and in our hands to respond, likewise: by either not continuing to pay for a product that has been given up on (what IW seems to be doing) or by continuing to pay for a product that is continuously being worked on (what many wish IW did).

CallofDookie2014

They need to start reading these boards more because they've obviously lost touch with a large part of the fan base. Online player count being the most obvious indicator.

gotsomestars

Player count is fine. Lies are bad. Sales are fine. Go away troll.

SLAYER2291

I Wonder just wonder if the player count has anything to do with he fact that several million xbox players now play on the x1 o wait duh

CallofDookie2014

Several Million may have bought the game. Momentum has a lot to do with that, but look at the online numbers, you cant deny the huge drop off...

SLAYER2291

OOk let me break it down for your extremely simple mind. It is only showing the system you are on. Example 110,000 xbox360 users. That doesn't mean that xbox1 isn't running another 100,000 users meaning the xboxlive side of things is running 210,000 players. Make sense? It is only showing the pool you are being matched against not every single player on every single system. So if ps3 is showing 100,000 and ps4 100,000 you now have over 400,000 cod players playing. So the drop off your seeing isn't exactly real so much as it's now spread across four systems instead of two.

CallofDookie2014

I understand that there are other consoles, go look at the XB1 forum and tell me there are 100K online there...

I have a PS4 and peak weekends maybe 70K ,weekdays 40-ishK On 360 IDK cause I sold my 360 copy, thank God.

If you can get over the fact that your beloved Call of Campers Ghosts isnt nearly as popular as former titles you may see that.

AntiGov

When you have to resort to insults you're really just showing everyone that you have no argument.     

I own Ghosts for both the Xbone and the 360, both of which I have friends playing Ghosts. The other night I started on the Xbone but had more friends on the 360 so I switched. The player count was roughly 55k between both systems, 45k on the 360 and 10k on the Xbone.That was at 1am EST. That's the time in which I get on after work, has been for around 6yrs now. Black Ops 2 still had well over 100k players online each night far beyond 4 months after release.

As I have said in previous posts, Ghosts is a casual wonderland. It may have sold well but the community has abandoned it only 4 months after release. I feel as though the gameplay is very dull, the only thing that keeps me playing is the group of friends I play with. By making the game so accessible they have made it far less engaging and people simply have little to no incentive to play. They have yet to even include DLC into the map rotation, just goes to show how far they went with making the game accessible to every soccer mom of a gamer.

I have to disagree it is not because it is so accessible taht it has lower player numbers but because it does not cater as much to two specific groups of players as much as the past games did, the rusher aka adrenaline monkey, and the QS/TS players that go for feeds for YT thinking it makes them cool doing so.

I gurantee if 3arc toned downed the streaks in BO2 and made QS/TS even harder where less QS/TS feeds were being made and nerfed all the smg's to where they were not as useful at long ranges as they are in that game people would cry that game was terrible too and probably would go back to MW3 saying it was the best.. until the same was done in that game, then they would move back to BO and say it was the best. And if each time the popular things that people abused was rrebalanced or removed they would cry the game was being ruined.

AntiGov

Seeing as how "rushers" and "quickscopers" do NOT make up half the CoD population I think you're wrong. The population is dying because Ghosts is more about playing barbie with your character than actual gameplay. The competitive community also isn't to blame for the low population as it's a fairly small community as well. I believe the reason is that Ghosts has very little replay value.

This is where things might be slightly offensive to some. With that being said, if you're easily offended I suggest you read no further.

Without even going into gameplay dynamics Ghosts has no replay value. Most casuals good care less about actual game mechanics and just play to unlock all the goodies or for less awkward social interaction. What happens when you just hand a child anything and everything they want with no effort on their part? Well, that's what Ghosts did. Now that all the casuals have had every perk, every weapon, every attachment, and every "operation" just handed to them they have lost interest with the game because nothing actually has a value in Ghosts. When you just hand someone something that they deemed valuable for nothing it looses value.

CoD has always focused heavily on player investment and Ghosts broke the standard model. Why would someone that doesn't care about gameplay mechanics continue playing if they had no incentive to do so? Well as you can see with Ghosts, they won't.  

I do agree with you on part about that point. they listened too much to everyone that cried the challenges were too hard, or that they could not do them all when ever they wanted and should not have. they made prestige worth less than any other past game, ranking up means nothing either since can have anything you want as long as you have the points to get them.

I think it is a combination of the two really, making the game eaiser to play as in challenges and unlocking things, and the fact that it caters less to certain groups compared to past games. Those taht rushed and unlocked most of it early have less reason to play, and those that only wanted to QS/TS cannt play as easy as they want and get their big feeds anymore, giving them less reason to stay since their feeds are all that drove them to play the games to begin with. Since with out those feeds they are not as popular on YT anymore. And we know that everyone wants to be popular and awesome and cool and awed and feared on yt because of how they play a game...

nicedrewishfela

Problem is, who do they listen to? You assume your perspective is one everyone would agree with.

When they do participate, it becomes a giant cluster.

I think they read these boards more often than you think, but it is impossible to please everyone.

thaesino

nicedrewishfela That is why I was very clear in saying that I do not claim to know what they should or shouldn't do, but that what they have been doing is not working and they need to come up with new schemes, because this one is getting old. It is a business after all. Their business is to make us believe that their product is still worth paying for. I don't know how they'll do it, but they need to.

One thing no one has pointed out is: How do we know just how many people actually purchased the Onslaught DLC, versus how many have purchased passed DLCs in both MW3 and Blops 2? The number would CERTAINLY be telling on how people feel about this game, and about its future.

As for what you said, whenever people are allowed to freely state their opinions, clusters of opposition are bound to form. That is a GOOD thing.

I used the example of the "locking the Operations, again" because it seems to me like something that would be useless for IW to do, and yet, many of these "requests," as I've already said, may seem useless to IW, but while they seem useless, they are a sign that players are not as happy as they could be. People tend to go crazy when they feel there is something missing and cannot pinpoint exactly what it is, so they make "ridiculous" requests. Whether the requests are ridiculous or not is not for IW to think about. What they need to think about is WHY so many useless requests are being made, because the clock is ticking and they will soon no longer be the only big fish in the pond (EA has already secured rights for TF 2 for next year on both PS4, Xbox One, and PC).

Of course, if they continue doing as they are doing, time will do the rest. Game franchises are like clothing trends... people drop them the day they feel useless, stale, or no longer exciting. People drop them, especially, when those around them are dropping them as well and switching to the next "new" trend.

As for why I assume my perspective is one everyone would agree with... well, I don't... that's beyond my power. I write my thoughts and other people are free to read or ignore them; for those who do read them, the rest is up to them whether they agree or not.

nicedrewishfela

I agree whole-heartedly that they need a shift in their approach. I just think that whatever they do, someone will always be unhappy. It's just how this community has evolved. But I think the biggest thing they could learn from these forums, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc.... is how this community has evolved and what they need to do to keep our interest.

I find things like requests for resets and such amusing. COD4 had 10 prestiges, hardly any unlocks beyond Camos... and I don't remember anyone ever saying "Gee, I wish I could start all over". Then again, pretty sure they didn't have lame "Race for Commander" vids and such back then.... not sure why everyone is in such a damn hurry to unlock everything. You get handed pretty much everything you need to begin with as it is. NOW... if they went back to having to actually work to unlock guns and attachments, that would be something.

I think that the biggest thing they have to learn from this community is that the Secrecy thing isn't working anymore. It used to be so exciting not knowing what was coming next. IW/Treyarch gave so little info, but it was explained pretty well in game that once we got our hands on it, we understood. Now, they leak info like a sieve and are so damn secretive about information you'd think they are hiding from the NSA.

They need to get with the times... The DLC system isn't working, change it. Either make it SP or nothing, or sell MORE Micro-DLCs and give everyone DLC map packs free as part of the initial purchase so as to avoid the match-making fragmentation we see now. And why not release a DLC Calendar? Tell us when we can expect the product we are paying for. Can even hint at bonuses to be included. Create some excitement, as well as holding the Devs accountable to getting the community what they are promised in a timely fashion.

Stop with all the "Hush Hush" tactics when introducing a game. Sure, go on IGN and such when introducing new features... but release a FAQ on the Forums at the same time explaining all facets of that new feature. As of last month, there were people on here swearing up and down the Devs promised that Squads would allow for everything MP did. The Devs didn't do this, but the info they provided pre-release was so vague that people felt misled. So, announce something, then release a FAQ explaining that feature and how we can expect it to work. Update that when changes are made to a mode.

Increase the support staff and better educate the ones they have. Customers deserve to be heard, no matter how ridiculous their requests or claims may be. They do OK now, but getting help is still a crap-shoot.

Get serious about misdeeds in this game. No form of hacking or cheating should be accepted. Make sure these people are dealt with AND THAT WE AS A COMMUNITY KNOW THEY ARE BEING DEALT WITH. Less concern about banning for Name and Shame, and more focus on banning cheaters.

Message of the Day? Great. STOP USING IT TO ADVERTISE. Use it to inform players of game elements, educate players on features of the game, and announce news.

As far as the game goes... they need to know that we love Call of Duty. We fell in love roaming war torn Europe in the early CoDs, and were blown away by CoD4, which was way ahead of it's time and changed gaming forever. We don't want to lose the feel of CoD, but we aren't stupid, either. They need to overhaul the series. Build a new Engine from the ground up, find ways to improve Networking/Matchmaking, Truly innovate with the next game (dynamic maps, not just dynamic elements IN maps are one example). Make it infinitely replayable.. bring back challenges, stop handing us everything. Make the focus again on the game-impacting elements like weapons/attachments, grenades, tacticals, secondaries/attachments, and, to a lesser degree, kill/scorestreaks and LESS ON CUSTOMIZATION AND CAMOS. Offer a plethora of Modes, there is no logical reason why so many favorites were left out of this title. You do these things, you bring back the love and thus bring back the lost fans.

Sorry I got long-winded... but I happen to love playing Call of Duty, and I don't want to see the series die because of negligence or disrespect to it's loyal fans.

gotsomestars

Just going to touch on one part of your post. It gets a +1 though. Very good read .

I'd be careful about "challenges".

I dunno how much you know about titanfall, but they put challenges in there leveling system and my goodness the instant gratification participation trophy kids kicked and screamed until it was nerfed.  It was called gooser and you had to kill 50 ejecting pilots. Difficult, but by no means impossible.

Kids don't want a challenge, gamers who have been playing for decades generally LOVE a challenge. Its just a matter of demographics.

thaesino

nicedrewishfela This is why I enjoy reading your "long-winded" posts whenever you post elsewhere. Great ideas, man!

I'm one of those people who does not wish to see the Call of Duty series lay down and just die. If it's going to end - and it will one day, as all things do - I want it to happen because of some reason they could do little to nothing about. But as you said, negligence is just not a good enough reason, not when your consumers are asking you for something as simple as "Onslaught implementation into the regular playlists." It's ridiculous that they're going to wait till next week to do this, so that then they can single out the NEW DLC maps... and the process starts all over again.

I don't know about others, but I haven't gone on the Onslaught list since two weeks after it was first released.

I'm entirely with you that they should sell a lot more "Micro-DLCs" and make the maps either very cheap, or free. I understand that most of the money they are "assured" comes from the map packs, but if they worked very hard on new weapons or killstreaks or camos or uniforms, etc., people would ACTUALLY purchase these and they could make a whole lot more money that way. The current camos, save the Makarov one, are laughable at best. Two bucks for each is completely unacceptable, not because $2 is too much, but because they're not good enough to be that much. This, of course, is entirely my opinion. Then again... I don't pick up many guns with anything but Makarov, the Flame one, and Capt. Price camos. And I pick up A LOT of weapons because one of my favorite things to do is go in bare bones. It also allows me to learn others' weapon set-ups, but I digress.

As you said, negligence is not an option, and the whole Secrecy and then "leaking" info is growing tiresome. Many intelligent people probably know that none of this is actually being "leaked" but rather just advertised in such a way to create excitement. In short, placebos don't work if you know they're placebos.

So basically pay out £40 to make another account on xbox to start again or start plsying on ps3?

Should they listen more? Maybe.. then again maybe not. Should they read more and then weigh it against what would be good of bad for the game more. Yes, very much so. But that does not mean making teh changes just to make some happy when it may make others unhappy.

Sorry for going OT, but is Warface the console name for Planetside?

Btw, your post made me look it up and a beta for the 360 launched a few weeks ago, accessible to all Gold members.

legendxaghwiohe

They just need to add extra prestige. Problem solved.