16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 9:35 AM by Gerbera RSS

Time to play Taps for Ghosts, unless...

shh_im_quiet

First off, I know that everyone on here is somewhat tired of reading complaint threads, but the problem with this game is that there is a lot to complain about. Not only that, but when people think their voices fall on deaf ears, they tend to yell a little bit louder.

So, let me just get this yelling out of the way:

Infinity Ward and Activision - YOUR GAME IS UNPOPULAR AND FRUSTRATING TO PLAY! YOU NEED TO SUPPORT IT AND REBUILD THE COMMUNITY, OR IT WILL DIE A LONELY DEATH.

I've played FPS games for well over 20 years, I have almost 13 days played on Ghosts, 3.3+ KD, and I kind of know what I'm talking about when I'm being critical of a game.

I'm just going to get right into the meat and potatoes of where I (and many others I know) think Ghosts can improve to try and save itself.

-Connection- This game has the worst matchmaking and lag compensation of any game I have ever played, EVER. I used to play PC games with 200+ millisecond lag and they would be more playable than this. The connections are unstable and filled with latency, causing all kinds of WTF moments, as I'm sure we've all experienced. One shot kills, people popping around corners, etc... You need to do SOMETHING to improve the connection performance. This is the number 1 reason that people I know hate this game. This one issue creates so many other issues in your game, and fixing this problem could potentially fix some of the other issues I've listed below.

-Population- Your game has fading population numbers. I play on PS3 and last night there were approximately 85,000 people online at 8PM EST. This is prime time for your AAA title, and the population reflects a game that has been out for 2 or more years. It is dying a premature death, and you know it. That's why there is all of a sudden a flood of micro-DLC. You have to try and get some money out of the players before they abandon the game. You aren't trying to keep people, just bleed them before they flee.  The low population is only making the lag worse, as matchmaking becomes even more difficult.

-The Knife-  Forget the MSBS, the Maverick, or whatever.  This is the most frustrating, low-skill, OP weapon in the game.  I'm sure the connection issues make this weapon even worse, as now people are lagging around corners and knife lunging you before (or after) you can shoot them.  The knife kills are ridiculous and I often see the 180 degree knife stab, where your opponent literally does a 180 before knifing you.  This is not a "trick knife" or anything else that resembles skill.  This is lag and aim-assist working together to create some BS.  My suggestion for this, remove aim-assist or target locking from knifing.  This will help alleviate the frustrations of the knife, even if you choose not to fix the connection issues.  I cannot stress how much I hate the knife mechanics in this game.

-The Spawns-  I know there have been some changes to spawns in patches, but they are not even close to being fixed.  My biggest gripe with spawns are the Revenge Spawns.  I cannot count the number of times that I have killed someone, only to have them spawn in a place that is tremendously advantageous for them in terms of getting me back.  One example: on Prison Break, killing an enemy up on the ridge of the side hill, only to have them spawn at the base of the tower facing the exact hill I just killed them from, resulting in a mindless ADS and shoot that requires almost no skill to kill me, and is near impossible for me to defend against.  How about a piano just fall from the sky on my head after I kill an enemy?  That's about the same result.

-DLC Map Rotation-  Due to the low population, the DLC maps are not worth playing by themselves, and since they aren't in regular rotation yet, they don't get played.  When I bought the DLC, I essentially paid $15 for a gun (I don't play Extinction).  The way the DLC has been handled, I won't be buying new maps until they are in regular rotation (if at all).  There is no point.  If I can't play the maps without severe lag due to poor matchmaking, I won't be playing them.

This is my opinion on what the biggest problems are with Ghosts. If the game is going to be saved, you must address these issues.  As of right now, you have a solid game base that has some serious flaws. The game CAN be good and CAN be fun, but not the way it is right now.  If you do not fix these problems, I can assure you that your population numbers will halve by summer.  At that point, you might as well scrap all the DLC and refund Season Pass holders their money.  The game will be dead.

This is a long shot, but if anyone from the Dev Team wants to discuss the finer points of these issues, please send me a message.  I would be more than happy to expand on my points and offer improvement suggestions.

Good luck Infinity Ward.  You'll need it to rebuild your reputation from this failed endeavor.

• Re: Time to play Taps for Ghosts, unless...
          Izjar11

shh_im_quiet wrote:

First off, I know that everyone on here is somewhat tired of reading complaint threads, but the problem with this game is that there is a lot to complain about. Not only that, but when people think their voices fall on deaf ears, they tend to yell a little bit louder.

So, let me just get this yelling out of the way:

Infinity Ward and Activision - YOUR GAME IS UNPOPULAR AND FRUSTRATING TO PLAY! YOU NEED TO SUPPORT IT AND REBUILD THE COMMUNITY, OR IT WILL DIE A LONELY DEATH.

I've played FPS games for well over 20 years, I have almost 13 days played on Ghosts, 3.3+ KD, and I kind of know what I'm talking about when I'm being critical of a game.

tired of complaints is an understatement after countless similar posts are created in each title, yours really is no different.

- If you have so many years of FPS experience than why not play ANOTHER GAME>? I say this because who subjects themselves to playing a game they believe is "YOUR GAME IS UNPOPULAR AND FRUSTRATING TO PLAY!"?

this is what I really have trouble understanding from those who "complain" allot. Why do you return to Ghost? or COD? Isn't there some other game that can satisfy your gaming interest? If no, than why bother even playing a VIDEO game at all? If yes, the answer is obvious.

You know whats worse yet? The same players who hate the current title, buy the next title, and complain about the new title and then........guess.........wait for it......................write how much they MISSED GHOST or the previous title. This behavior tells you how bi-polar and difficult this market is for a developer. We all want that perfect experience, reality is = never happens.

shh_im_quiet wrote:

-Connection- This game has the worst matchmaking and lag compensation of any game I have ever played,

-Population- Your game has fading population numbers.

-The Knife-  Forget the MSBS, the Maverick, or whatever.  This is the most frustrating, low-skill, OP weapon in the game. 

-The Spawns-  I know there have been some changes to spawns in patches,

-DLC Map Rotation-  Due to the low population, the DLC maps are not worth playing by themselves,

-Connection: This game has given me and probably many others a superior experience in connectivity (not perfect because it doesn't exist) but superior to Mw3 and BO2 and BO.

-Population: Yes, the franchise is getting old and the developers might be having trouble creating new things that can wow us consumers. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be in their shoes, trying to please as many players as the franchise has successfully created. Add: New gen consoles and high competition you get what you currently see in numbers.

-The Knife: You are complaining about the knife! -------- the knife............  %^(

- Spawns: Yes, the spawns, we all know.

- DLC, there are a few threads on this particular subject

shh_im_quiet wrote:

The game will be dead.

This is a long shot, but if anyone from the Dev Team wants to discuss the finer points of these issues, please send me a message.  I would be more than happy to expand on my points and offer improvement suggestions.

Good luck Infinity Ward.  You'll need it to rebuild your reputation from this failed endeavor.

No offense, and we all have the given right to come here and "complain" about what irks us, but do you honestly think that they aren't aware of what you write. I am not defending or arguing your views but you realize if they "changed" something they would affect many more players and cause more complaints to come through.

To be even more blunt, and for example your knife complaint: In Bo2 they drastically changed the lunge function (right) it was very very hard to kill with it as we knew it. And people complained because it was not easy. Now, its back to easy and its still being complained about (even with their new animation). My point: There is no pleasing everyone, not you, me or the next player.

BTW: Developers posting and responding to threads like this, is really a "long shot" as you write. Good luck gaming.

xlwolfshirt1

The more people that complain, the more it is perceived as a problem.

He certainly isn't alone in making these complaints.  I agree with him.

CoD is about to die if Activision doesn't get their stuff together.  With much better FPS games out now (like the one from the studio that made CoD great), there's really no reason to put up with the inexcusable technical flaws that CoD has had over the last few games.

Izjar11

xlwolfshirt1 wrote:

He certainly isn't alone in making these complaints.  I agree with him.

CoD is about to die if Activision doesn't get their stuff together.  With much better FPS games out now (like the one from the studio that made CoD great), there's really no reason to put up with the inexcusable technical flaws that CoD has had over the last few games.

I agree being silent isnt the solution, but with all due respect his "complaints" are the same as everyone has (before Ghost) complained about:

1- connection

2- knife

3- spawns

4- population - this one is new but I tried to explain why I think its happened

5- DLC Rotation - there are threads that are far more effective on the subject.

iHattoriHanzo0

xlwolfshirt1 wrote:

Feedback is a good thing. Yet, the more people that complain, the more I perceive the community as the problem. Its usually not done in a constructive way. Not necessarily saying that about this particular thread.

After all sharing your opinion and emotion is not a bad thing, but calling the game a "failed endeavor" is an opinion that i certainly don't agree with. Even though players and critics can pull numbers (multi population and sales) as evidence, I guarantee Ghosts has profited and still an extremely popular game in the world of fps.

When the OP contains statements like, "I've played FPS games for well over 20 years, I have almost 13 days played on Ghosts, 3.3+ KD, and I kind of know what I'm talking about when I'm being critical of a game.", there is a sense of being superior to the developers. Like knowing whats best for my gaming experience, when its actually whats best for his. I'ld rather the community had more respect for the developers and all our preferences meet on their middle ground.

This is the place to share our opinions, thats why I come here. Its the lack of appreciation, the attitude, and selfishness that gets on my nerves at times.

Gerbera

Yeah, a lot of the complaint threads I see tend to give off the egotistical vibe of the complainer like, "If I were in charge of making the game and put in everything I personally want that I think would make the game fun, then no doubt everyone would love it, no questions asked!", thinking it's SO easy to do and that THEIR way is "the best" way...

It's why I try to play these games neutrally, thinking nothing is OP, even if I get killed by the same thing(s) over and over, unless I see vids and/or data and more in-depth discussion, and after playtesting stuff myself, that can show otherwise (like the MP40 in WaW on the consoles, the pre-patched FAMAS in BO1, Assassin Pro in MW3, etc.).

xoMrSLAVEox

I agree too. and i started play cod games with cod3

IndyOldGuy

Agree with all, altho my connection has not been all that bad, much better than MW3 and BO2 for sure. But that damn knife is getting waaaaay old!

gotsomestars

Lag comp? Explain to me what you think lag comp is, and why you think it's different in this game as opposed to others.

Secondly if there was 85k on ps3 and and another 70k on ps4 seems to be pretty popular to me.

You say you've played fps for years. Are you hard wired and port forwarded?

I have heard the ps3 version isn't as good, but honestly I only played it til ps4 came out. But from what I can remember it was good. Not as good as the ps4 obviously, but I enjoyed it.

nicedrewishfela

Listen to this guy,  He's kind of a big deal.

stayfrosty70

You Sir have a valid point.If you want something more go play Titanfall you won't be disappointed

Gerbera

Titanfall is seriously overhyped. It's not bad, but it certainly doesn't look to be any sort of legendary franchise, much less "CoD killer" or deserving of all the 9/10, 10/10, 4/5, and 5/5 ratings thrown at it. It's fun and can tie you over for a while, but a lame campaign (yes, there are still a lot of people who care about the campaigns and not just the multiplayer), and extreme lack of customizations hurt it. Check out Angry Joe's review, a fair and objective of it really.