27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2014 10:29 PM by DeviousC0DY RSS

Proposal for New Leveling System

LifeSong1

Most people do not like the concept of prestiging and the only reason they do it is to keep the game fresh and have something to work towards. The problem is that their level no longer represents how much they play the game and how fierce of a competitor they may actually be.  Here's my proposal for a new leveling system.

The first 55 levels would still be very similar today where you are unlocking guns/camo/perks etc.  The key is that once you reach 55 max you don't have to prestige, but instead continue to level up.  There is no max level.  Each level continues to require more and more XP to level up thus making it more and more difficult to level up.  Eventually getting from one level to the next will become much more challenging and time consuming. At some level they could just say that all levels going forward require X amount of XP rather than increasing them more and more.

But what about having something to work towards? Your extra Create-A-Class slots should only be unlocked as you reach higher levels.  55 might get you one, 80 gets you another, etc.  Extra reticles and camos can be unlocked at higher levels. If there are emblems or backgrounds those can also be unlocked at higher levels.  At some point you can even reward some bonus XP.  Maybe reward someone who reaches level 100 with 8 gaming hours of double XP.  There are so many possibilities of ways that you can continue to reward them.  In game backgrounds, achievements, system rewards like props, avatar items, etc. At key levels you could unlock the special "prestige" emblems that we see today. 

I really hope one of the 3 COD developers will consider something like this.

Items to note/think about:

• Don't allow people to buy create a class slots with real money (ruins the reward system).
      • Don't allow players to reset their stats and start over...the goal is to constantly progress.
      • Don't show who you are playing against till the lobby is "locked" where players can't back out. That prevents people from seeing top or high level players and backing out just because they are scared.  After the game there is time to back out and get into a different lobby.

What are your thoughts? Do you like the prestige system? Would you rather see something like this? Any other thoughts on how this could work or opinions on why it wouldn't work?

• Re: Proposal for New Leveling System
          Izjar11

LifeSong1 wrote:

Most people do not like the concept of prestiging and the only reason they do it is to keep the game fresh and have something to work towards. The problem is that their level no longer represents how much they play the game and how fierce of a competitor they may actually be.  Here's my proposal for a new leveling system.

The first 55 levels would still be very similar today where you are unlocking guns/camo/perks etc.  The key is that once you reach 55 max you don't have to prestige, but instead continue to level up.  There is no max level.  Each level continues to require more and more XP to level up thus making it more and more difficult to level up.  Eventually getting from one level to the next will become much more challenging and time consuming. At some level they could just say that all levels going forward require X amount of XP rather than increasing them more and more.

But what about having something to work towards? Your extra Create-A-Class slots should only be unlocked as you reach higher levels.  55 might get you one, 80 gets you another, etc.  Extra reticles and camos can be unlocked at higher levels. If there are emblems or backgrounds those can also be unlocked at higher levels.  At some point you can even reward some bonus XP.  Maybe reward someone who reaches level 100 with 8 gaming hours of double XP.  There are so many possibilities of ways that you can continue to reward them.  In game backgrounds, achievements, system rewards like props, avatar items, etc. At key levels you could unlock the special "prestige" emblems that we see today.

I really hope one of the 3 COD developers will consider something like this.

Items to note/think about:

• Don't allow people to buy create a class slots with real money (ruins the reward system).
          • Don't allow players to reset their stats and start over...the goal is to constantly progress.
          • Don't show who you are playing against till the lobby is "locked" where players can't back out. That prevents people from seeing top or high level players and backing out just because they are scared.  After the game there is time to back out and get into a different lobby.

What are your thoughts? Do you like the prestige system? Would you rather see something like this? Any other thoughts on how this could work or opinions on why it wouldn't work?

Good ideas,

-Your "real money" observation: Do you mean the option to purchase (with money not squad points) classes?

- The option to reset stats, I believe should be granted to those who want to do it or stay at the current prestige level they want (in other words) after each max level give the players the choice to continue (as you have). I would continue.

- This is a tricky one, though I agree (stats make people back out, not sure why) but they do. Locking a lobby, not sure about that but removing stats from the pre-game lobby would remove the need to quit because of higher level enemy.

LifeSong1

-Your "real money" observation: Do you mean the option to purchase (with money not squad points) classes?

- The option to reset stats, I believe should be granted to those who want to do it or stay at the current prestige level they want (in other words) after each max level give the players the choice to continue (as you have). I would continue.

- This is a tricky one, though I agree (stats make people back out, not sure why) but they do. Locking a lobby, not sure about that but removing stats from the pre-game lobby would remove the need to quit because of higher level enemy.

The real money obeservation is I don't think people should be able to pay $2 to get all the create-a-class slots. They should be earned. BO2 introduced it and Ghosts has it as well...just doesn't seem right.

The problem with resetting stats is it truly doesn't give people an idea of where they are at. I think it needs to be an all or nothing and people shouldn't be able to hide or cheat the system by resetting stats but instead have to live with the stats they have earned. People shouldn't be able to stay at a lower level.  This screws up the matchmaking as it is today as if you come in with people who haven't prestiged you are more likely to play with "newer" players. People cheat the matchmaking system that way.  Instead, make them continue to progress and play people closer to their actual level.

Halo 3 (not sure about any of the others) implemented the "lobby lock" system. Once locked you could see who is what level and see their stats. That's what I'm referring to. The way it is people join and constantly back out (I'm guilty of it too) when you see that there are 3 of the top 200 players in the lobby.  I just don't feel like getting slaughtered (to their credit).

idyb

Halo 3 and Halo 2 had a party matchmaking system. If you searched alone you got matched with other people searched alone. If you searched in a full party clan you got matched against a full clan. You can't have a strict matchmaking system if they don't correct that problem. Clans would just destroy randoms.

Overall I don't like the idea of a skill based matchmaking system. It's only going to shrink the community further because cod has a large casual audience that includes 30+ year old gamers who don't really have any time for that because they just want to hop down and play after work. Halo made sense competitive, but just let MLG and esports figure out the competitive stuff. We don't need it in a game where connection is a constant problem hindering true skill.

Highwayman0226

I prefer to play with people that live near me, regardless of their level.  I really like your idea though.  I shamefully bought the extra classes, because 6 wasn't enough, and paying 1.99 was the only way to get it up to the 10 slots we should've had to begin with.  If there was a way to earn them, you betcha I'd have taken that route instead.

I didn't mind the original prestige system, but it's become boring and easy past couple titles.  No level cap, and just keep going, having to earn ridiculous xp to get to the higher levels is a good idea imo.  As long as there is a really good reward say every couple levels over the soft cap (level 55 in your example). 

LifeSong1

The key is the rewards as you said. There are so many options on what they could give out as rewards: Title backgrounds, Emblems, Backgrounds, reticles, gun camos, character camos, double XP bonuses, double clan XP bonus for you as a clan member, individual clan tag colors, character customization options, create-a-class slots, extra emblem symbols (if allowed in the game), system challenge indicator (on Xbox One) that is basically a 0 point achievement but something that is tied to the user, ability to reset challenges at certain levels, etc.

nicedrewishfela

Interesting ideas here.

I do think that Custom Class Slots should be earned and not bought, either through real money or in game currency. This was always a great reward for prestiging.

I think the key to both balance and longevity, however, is to bring back Weapon Challenges. True challenges, not just for Camos. Have to use the weapon to unlock attachments. Have to use attachments to unlock other attachments. This whole buying things idea, while less grind, also shortens the game's lifespan. I think once a weapon's challenges have all been completed, bring back the idea of prestiging that weapon. There should be some reward for doing so... perhaps the third attachment slot? Give everyone two at first (or make it so that completing X number of challenges with that weapon unlocks the second slot for it. When you prestige, you again have to unlock your first two slots, but when completed, you get a third slot? Seems like a significant reward. Keep the Camo challenges as well, I'd like to see them follow BO2's lead on this and reward players for completing the challenges on all weapons classes (Diamond Camo).

I guess I could see keeping the counter going up from 55 or 60... but I think it works just fine having a Prestige Emblem alongside the new level. CoD players are savvy enough to know what this means. Keep it at 10 Prestiges, but allow for players to Reset if they get to 10. Reward those players with a new Emblem so people can recognize that they are going through their second run.

The leveling needs to be improved, the current system is silly.

LifeSong1

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I think the key to both balance and longevity, however, is to bring back Weapon Challenges. True challenges, not just for Camos. Have to use the weapon to unlock attachments. Have to use attachments to unlock other attachments. This whole buying things idea, while less grind, also shortens the game's lifespan. I think once a weapon's challenges have all been completed, bring back the idea of prestiging that weapon. There should be some reward for doing so... perhaps the third attachment slot? Give everyone two at first (or make it so that completing X number of challenges with that weapon unlocks the second slot for it. When you prestige, you again have to unlock your first two slots, but when completed, you get a third slot? Seems like a significant reward. Keep the Camo challenges as well, I'd like to see them follow BO2's lead on this and reward players for completing the challenges on all weapons classes (Diamond Camo).

I agree with the weapon challenges. While the ability to buy items with points is helpful for getting the gun you really want, I tend to agree that having to earn it/unlock it at certain levels does make sense. Prestiging a gun is something else I liked and could easily be added as a reward (the ability to prestige it) as well as unlocking something by doing that.

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I guess I could see keeping the counter going up from 55 or 60... but I think it works just fine having a Prestige Emblem alongside the new level. CoD players are savvy enough to know what this means. Keep it at 10 Prestiges, but allow for players to Reset if they get to 10. Reward those players with a new Emblem so people can recognize that they are going through their second run.

The leveling needs to be improved, the current system is silly.

The Prestige emblems you refer to are what could still be present and unlocked at certain levels, but maybe you don't have to use that as your emblem? But why limit it to 10 "prestiges"? Allow people who play a lot to keep going and show how much they truly play and not cap them out?

Also, the concept of "reseting your level to 1" goes against this concept as now you don't truly know what level a person is and now they tend to play with "newer" or "lower ranked" people because they prestige which for an experienced player makes for some easy games and XP. I'd rather people have no choice but to show their true level. If you don't put a cap on it then there should be no need to reset it to 0 (aside from those who really want to reset their stats more than anything but once again...that isn't a true representation of how they played the game so I don't think the reset should ever be an option).  The only reason they probably added the reset option was to allow people who reach the cap to keep playing. With my proposal there is no need for the reset as they can keep going.

nicedrewishfela

Yes... and No.

My issue with no cap is, you don't really have something to strive for. You just keep going up, and up... and up.

It is nice to have a goal to work for.

I felt a sense of accomplishment on Black Ops (the first game I really worked for it) when I reached top Prestige. I did it fairly and honestly, and felt a sense of accomplishment when I reached it. So much, in fact, that I went back and fully prestiged on MW2, which I hadn't really focused on at all when playing.

Since then, I have reached top prestige in every game. I was disappointed when MW3 introduced 10 more prestiges... they really werent't worth pursuing and took a lot of the accomplishment out of reaching 10th. They were simply superficial, and meant nothing in the long run. Enjoyed my run to Prestige Master in BO2, and never even thought about wasting my time on a reset as there were still things I hadn't accomplished.

Without capping it somewhere, there is no sense of a goal to work for, and they can't just have unlimited symbols and emblems to recognize this. At some point it has to stop.

For some reason, it has become en vogue to "Race for Commander". Why? The game has to last a year, so what is the darn hurry?

I think there has to be a cap somewhere. Players with unlimited time on their hands are, of course, going to reach the top level and gripe about how they are "so bored" now... but the regular player will enjoy the ride getting to the ultimate goal, and feel accomplished when they do so.

LifeSong1

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Yes... and No.

My issue with no cap is, you don't really have something to strive for. You just keep going up, and up... and up.

It is nice to have a goal to work for.

I think the goal is a high level icon of some sort. It may not be a set in stone goal but it can still be one of those higher level prestige icons. In fact, they may only have 10 icons that unlock at some point and there might be an achievement for earning that 10th icon at level 300.  However, that doesn't stop them from continuing to increase in level.  The goal can still be present, it just doesn't have to stop. 

As for the reasoning that there has to be a cap...I will disagree.  The unlocks may become more sparse, but at the same time, if they make it so that the levels do indeed continue to get harder...eventually one level could be the equivelent of 40 levels...thus dramatically reducing the amount of rewards.  At some point the rewards will die down a bit and you are primarily going to get things like double XP and all but doesn't this satisfy those who play a lot the ability to say I'm level X and that is a true representation of their level?

To be honest, I'm not as much worried about being level 300 or 500 as I think this type of system truly shows what level you are and not a false representation as the current systems all do.  It can give those who play a lot some lofty goals to be a really high level person and it gives the casual player the ability to continue to level up without feeling the need to "stop" because they don't want to mess with starting over with all their weapon/camo unlocks and challenges.

nicedrewishfela

I don't see how it is a False system?

It shows you exactly where people are in this game.

I don't care about how others view me, I just know I want something to work for. Something tangible. Something realistic.

LifeSong1

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I don't see how it is a False system?

It shows you exactly where people are in this game.

The current system allows people to sit at a level (55) for any length of time.  By doing so, they are earning XP that is ultimately discarded and thus they should be level 70 but because they chose to stay at 55 it is a false representation.  Some games have allowed them to reset their stats entirely and start over. This is also a false representation as they are not actually level 10 they are actually level 57 but they reset it. Stat wise it is also false as their stats say they have a 5.0 K/D ratio when in actuality it is much lower because they spent time the first 55 levels to play around with quick scoping. Those are all examples of how the system today allows for false representation of your actual level. 

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I don't care about how others view me, I just know I want something to work for. Something tangible. Something realistic.

The system I am proposing provides something tangible and something realistic to work towards. Some do care what others see (thus the reason they try to fake it with the current systems). Others try to cheat the matchmaking system. Others just want a true representation of how much the others in the lobby are playing without guessing and looking at lots of stats in the lobby leaderboard.

The system I am proposing should answer these items by giving a more accurate representation of how much that player truly plays and how they play.

They won't even consider this it's not a money maker since a lot of Call of Duty players have short attention spans and want instant gratification my guess is instead of this next game we will only have one create a class and the rest will have to be paid for. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us one gun out of each gun type and made us pay for the rest.

idyb

That would only happen if cod went free to play. Let's hope we don't see that.

(Don't bring up the Chinese game because that's not what we are discussing here. If they did that to the core franchise it would be a disaster)

LifeSong1

TheDarkOne123 wrote:

They won't even consider this it's not a money maker since a lot of Call of Duty players have short attention spans and want instant gratification my guess is instead of this next game we will only have one create a class and the rest will have to be paid for. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us one gun out of each gun type and made us pay for the rest.

I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic in your answer, but please clarify as to why you don't think they will ever consider this? Where's the big glaring flaw in the logic? What could we change to get them to consider a system like this?

Again, you were likely sarcastic, but there are a lot of changes in the game that are not necessarily money makers to them but they still do (reworking the create-a-class system every year, reworking perks system, reworking the killstreak/scorestreak combos and how they all work).  They put a lot of effort into some of these things to rethink how it is done and not just do the same thing because that is how it has always been done. We saw one of the biggest changes ever in this regard with the pick 10 system from BO2. They completely re-thought it. I just wish one of the 3 dev teams would re-think the leveling process for their next game.

iHattoriHanzo0

I'm sure there are many games that use this idea in the leveling system. GTA5 comes to mind. It just keeps going up and up and maxes out at 1000. I'll try and make a comparison and say thats like 50th prestige in CoD based off of time played.

Another thing to consider is how CoD is basically a game that has a life of one year. So as long as the franchise keeps this pace, I think there should be a sense of multiplayer completion. Unlike GTA which comes out much less frequent.

I don't really have a problem with the way the prestiges work or what they represent. I always shoot for the top and feel a sense of accomplishment when I get there. Unlocks and challenges are a different story. Each CoD game seems to have their own take on how things are unlocked and I also enjoy the differences. Whether it be currency, token, or rank unlocks.

Just thinking of the prestige system having an overhaul, kind of disappoints me. The system now is a routine that I've grown accustom to over the past 6 years. But then again everything changes.

nuttin2say

I have an idea.

How about you can't enter Max Prestige until you have completed EVERY challenge in the game? (instead of everyone bragging about the completing challenges that are inevitable due to amount of time played)

WhyNoName

I like the idea of a continual level system.  i.e. there is no "max prestige."  Gives people something to do even when "done."

LifeSong1

Some were saying they would still like a "Done" or "Complete" concept like there is with the current Max Prestige system. This can still be done by marking a certain level as that, giving you achievements, emblems, and other rewards. But it doesn't prevent you from continuing on.  Let's say the Max Prestige of today is equivelent to level 400...in that situation if you reach level 400 you get the new emblem for level 400, you get a background, you get an achievement, you could even get an exclusive gun camo or player outfit that is only for those that reach level 400. All of these recognize your accomplishment but also don't prevent you from continuing on to level 800+.

ZachAdkins

I would like to see something new towards Maxing out, or continuous leveling up, take BF for instance. You can keep leveling in that without any true gratification, it's just "Oh sweet, I'm a Commander 200" or whatever it is on BF, not so much fun unless you strive to let's say Level 100. I'm fine with the Prestiging but it's so bland, and with Ghosts I felt like I hit Max quicker than the rest because of the Operations. I have hit Max prestige in every CoD in 10-11 in-game days played, W@W was the only CoD I didn't really get into because when I started to playing that the hackers/modders were everywhere.

I quit playing Ghosts for some time and I just started playing again and I'm getting roughly 30k experience almost every game because of Operations that are always unlocked like Rival, The Harder They Fall, I don't quite understand why Operations aren't locked once they are completed. But anywho, I know play Ghosts just to get every gun to 2k kills because it's something to do and work toward for, besides getting Customizations and Patches.

sennalike

I've always been in favour of 'never ending' promotion. Mainly to keep the interest alive. Ghosts was way too easy to get to the end of the road. Now I find myself just doing operations, which is fine because there are plenty of them to get through. The big problem I have with doing ops is they detract me from the game and as a domination only player that can often be to the detriment of my team mates, and going for the win. I'm sure you know what I mean, but as an example, I am currently working on clueless and looking for short range kills, rather than capping and defending. I know some ops workwith objectives, but many don't.

nuttin2say

You can hide who is in the lobby all you want. As soon as it is obvious what is happening, you're going to have a mass increase in back outs and dashboards. The rest, meh. Okay. But that? Nope.

ghamorra

I rarely ever spend the time and effort to fully prestige. I find it pointless to go around the block 11 times as I don't play enough. So forcing me to spend an absorbent amount of time leveling just to unlock CaC slots is stupid to me. Not everyone is a hardcore player.

The only "perks" to leveling that far should be visual perks. Locking players out because they have lives the consume more of their time than someone who works a part-time job and lives with their parents (just one of many examples) shouldn't prevent them from achieving all effective items.

I do like not having a cap to the leveling though. I think it's a good way for players to show their dedication to the game.

DeviousC0DY

I would be fine with this if they brought back mercenary, There would be no teams allowed, every person is solo.

People are not scared of high level players, they just get pissed when being pub stomped. Not everyone has the time or friends to get a group and coordinate. Then to make it worse is when you get one of those full teams that all lives within ten miles of each other. That means they generally get connection in their favor, and the systems is doing what ever it can to fill the room. Generally creating a pubstomp. Maybe instead ask for a system that will only match you against other teams of equal skill. Of course what I see happen in the past( I think BO had the system closest to it) entire teams would drop because their connection was not as good as the other teams.

Of course, now rereading what you wrote and phrased it. You probably get pissed that you sit in lobby with your clan and people keep dropping out because it is not fun for them.