0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 9:19 AM by 8ULLETPR00F RSS

Question for the campers

I Have a question for the campers.

how can you have fun in playing CoD if you know you are taking away the fun of others?

• Re: Question for the campers
          MesaSean

I asked this some times after getting killed a few times to some one sitting in the back of their spawn wit ha LMG and tacker sight. Most common answer is they got sick of trying to go for flags or objectives and getting killed. I don;t rag on them when I message them but I tell them basically that people who play like that really slow the game down.

Jaggajatt187

I always ask them if they are paraplegic or if they suffer from Agoraphobia. Lol I get some pretty funny responses, most people don't know what to say because they know it pisses people off.

As for why people camp? I have no idea. Different strokes for different folks.

Bubbakush

Welcome to the real world where not everyone will have fun or a good time at all times but who is to say that one persons fun is more important than another's?

slyd0g55

Many of us sympathize that their are campers which don't positively play the game mode to the standards many feel "objective" but real question is -,is it enough to stop playing CoD because you feel, this is no fun? or better yet use oracles , perks , flashbangs, grenades, launchers to send the message "your a sitting duck"  quack quack lol

thats a silly question.

Its fun to ruin your fun. Thats how I have fun.

Although ..... I have fun just about whatever I do. I dont allow others to ruin my good time. If someone is doing something that I dont like, I just switch tactics and make them stop.  Even if I cant, its still fun because someone gave me a challenge.

But  .... I'll go back to my first statement. Its just MORE fun if I make you b*tch and moan. So .... keep complaining about the campers. Its more fun for me. As far as you having fun .. I dont really care... I dont think I'm obligated to give you a good time.

onlineace

First off what is a camper?  If you mean tactically sitting in a concealed spot of the map whereby a headless chicken running around a huge map like stonehaven is coming at you with a bulldog is camping? Then yes indeed I am guilty.  Problem with this game is they made it so guys on crack who have no tactical ability. Can run around entire map a hundred times a game with an smg mimiking a maniac perk and think that is how to play. I don't blame them afterall Ghosts did introduce the stupid maniac perc and game mode like Crank!  I enjoy picking off players with a bolt action sniper rifle.  The thrill of one shot one kill is much more fun to me then running around with a knife on every map. It was even more so untill you whiny retards complained enough that they had them nerfed. Everyone has their way of playing COD.  Some like to rush others like to camp.

Squarefodder

wait..what? The idea of multiplayer is that you are defeating another human..not AI. One should get satisfaction when they outwit their opponent. Id say that if you do well in a match you probably had a good time, that is to say; you probably had a better time winning or performing well as opposed to loosing or getting destroyed. If you kill your opponent over and over then most likely they are getting annoyed. There is a competitive edge to this game, yes we should all be good sports when we lose(or win) and one can still have fun and get crushed. However one will have more fun when they win. Its the nature of the game we play, its the nature of gaming and competition.

If you KNOW where a person is "camping" and killing you others, and then you continue to visit their CAMP SITE, what does that make you? INSANE, it makes you CRAZY because you are doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. So by re visiting the camper and not killing him you are robbing yourself from the FUN. The camper is having a blast because all the action is coming to them.

Now you may say "but I like the challenge of killing the camper" and I would agree the challenge IS fun. But again if your not able to kill them then and then get upset that you couldn't step up to the challenge....you're robbing yourself of a good time. Again, you're running to them, they are just sitting there moving from corner to corner in a small space.

Camping does not fit my style of play, neither does seeking them out every match. Sometimes ill run back to that spot to see if I can get the drop on them, but if I cant ill steer clear of that area, they own it. Especially during objective matches, no need to feed them kills because that leads to support/assault streaks.

So who is taking your fun away? To me it seems like its self inflicted!!

Rexens_View

So you are saying that you should avoid a camper if you know where they are.

That is what ruins these games for people, avoiding campers because they will ruin your KD or WL.

However if you continue to feed them kills you hasten your own demise.

Catch 22 scenario. If the whole team is camping do you just not move at all ?

As a rusher turned camper/patroller I would say that I know from first hand experience that a good campers will smash a good rusher any day in Ghosts because the campers have the advantage IMO.

I can sit on Stonehaven in just one location with my M27 Thermal, Kastet and 2 x IED's with danger close on and dominate the map for the entirety of the game. Snipers cannot get me very often because I know the map well and spawns can be easily manipulated. Good luck trying to get out of the castle when I have all 3 exit areas covered.

The problem with Ghosts and the competitive (selfish) nature of the community nowdays is that once the majority start doing something a large portion of the community follows as it has been proven to work . Camping/patrolling is one such aspect which has become prevalent and the thing is once something becomes mainstream, people refine that aspect to extremes.

The same can be said for spawn trapping in BO2. Once a team got really good at it there is a 90% chance you cannot get out of the trap. This is what is happening in Ghosts IMO, everyone seems so focused on how others perceive them and their performance that they forget what fun actually is.

Yes winning and having a high KD is "fun" as in a sense of achievement and people tend to misinterpret the feeling of not losing as fun. There is a large difference between "fun" and "at least I don't feel terrible".

Squarefodder

Rexens_View wrote:

So you are saying that you should avoid a camper if you know where they are.

That is what ruins these games for people, avoiding campers because they will ruin your KD or WL.

However if you continue to feed them kills you hasten your own demise.

Catch 22 scenario. If the whole team is camping do you just not move at all ?

No im saying that if you cant beat a camper, why would keep returning? Why feed that person kills. If no one enganges them, they will have less of an impact on the game and hopefully move. Make your opponent leave their comfort zone. I dont care about my kd. If the whole team is camping then why dont you camp too. no one will have any kills lol. Personally i dont have it in me to camp, i like to move around.

Rexens_View wrote:

As a rusher turned camper/patroller I would say that I know from first hand experience that a good campers will smash a good rusher any day in Ghosts because the campers have the advantage IMO.

I can sit on Stonehaven in just one location with my M27 Thermal, Kastet and 2 x IED's with danger close on and dominate the map for the entirety of the game. Snipers cannot get me very often because I know the map well and spawns can be easily manipulated. Good luck trying to get out of the castle when I have all 3 exit areas covered.

Patrolling is not camping. Its that simple, to patrol is to move. when one camps they stay in one spot. WHen you sit in one location on stonehaven you are camping. Thats not my style of play, but if it works for you, have at it.

Rexens_View wrote:

The problem with Ghosts and the competitive (selfish) nature of the community nowdays is that once the majority start doing something a large portion of the community follows as it has been proven to work . Camping/patrolling is one such aspect which has become prevalent and the thing is once something becomes mainstream, people refine that aspect to extremes.

You keep associating camping with patrolling, two very different things. A person sitting in one spot is on "watch". a person walking a beat is on patrol. To patrol is a verb..its an action

common definition:  

pa·trol

pəˈtrōl/ verb

gerund or present participle: patrolling

1. 1.

keep watch over (an area) by regularly walking or traveling around or through it."the garrison had to patrol the streets to maintain order"

Rexens_View wrote:

The same can be said for spawn trapping in BO2. Once a team got really good at it there is a 90% chance you cannot get out of the trap. This is what is happening in Ghosts IMO, everyone seems so focused on how others perceive them and their performance that they forget what fun actually is.

Yes winning and having a high KD is "fun" as in a sense of achievement and people tend to misinterpret the feeling of not losing as fun. There is a large difference between "fun" and "at least I don't feel terrible".

memorizing spawn locations just means you have a good memory, not skill in a fps game. Its a shame the spawns aren't completely randomized. We all care how we are perceived to some degree, we ARE social creatures. Again have fun camping, it  bothers me not. Don't expect me to continue to walk into your room and give you free kills though, ill murder your teammates who are wandering around, and ill kill you too when you get bored when the action dries up.

Rexens_View

Good response, I don't agree with a  few things though.

I definitely agree that memorising spawn locations, organising spawn traps and remembering every inch of a map is not skill.

That however has never (and never will) stop people who do this from exploiting it against other members who don't have as much knowledge.

It is now basically a prerequisite in COD to have a better map knowledge than your counterparts.

You keep associating camping with patrolling, two very different things. A person sitting in one spot is on "watch". a person walking a beat is on patrol. To patrol is a verb..its an action

Camping is also a verb.

Camping/patrolling are for closer than any other style and not very different at all.

Depending on the person, camping is patrolling.

To patrol is to literally patrol one area for an extended period. Camping is pretty much the same.

It depends if someone is patrolling a tiny area like 9m2 or 30m2.

Either way you are restricting your movements to one small portion of the map and are not actively seeking combat.

You are generally waiting for the enemy to confront you.

My example of camping in Stonehaven is unavoidable.

There is no place the enemy can go without me seeing and engaging them.

They cannot merely "avoid the area" to prevent feeding me kills as I can engage upwards of 80% of the map from that position.

I can also trap the whole team in B spawn (Castle) with ease, that's not even accounting for the rest of my team.

That is the point I am trying to make, sometimes it is far better to die 3 or 4 times to get the camper int he long run than that camper take out most of your team as they try to avoid them.

Squarefodder

yes camping is a verb too! Its akin to sitting in a guard tower and picking off anyone in range. Again I have no issues with how you play cod. In fact id like to play with you! esp on blitz. I average about 6 caps per game, and would love to have a teammate who watches over our goal. We all nee "someone in the guard tower" "camping" "defending" and we also need those "patrolling" and we need those who are rushing.  Together in sync, they make a lethal combo.

If I was playing against you I would find a way to get past your defenses and score no matter how many times I die. For me, that is fun. So is denying a "camper" kills if FFA by not engaging them.

What i was trying to tell the original poster was that HE was getting in the way of his own fun. Coming on here complaining about campers saying that they ruin his fun lol. 

M27 w/ Thermal,

Kastet,

2x IED's and Danger Close?

LOL n00b

gramthenOOb

Call of duty is evolving.  It is becoming a more tactical game.  No longer are veterans of the franchise going to needlessly expose themselves when it is not necessary.  As for the "taking away the fun" part, that is an opinion.  Opinions are never wrong, and so I cannot argue that it is taking YOUR fun away.  However, there are many players, all of which enjoy the game differently.  For some people, myself included, campers are just a part of the game.  As has been mentioned in other threads, some players are older and do not have the reaction time that the younger generation does.  Those players have reduced reaction time, and find that holding down a sightline is the best way to assist their team.  Many players repeat that and adapt their game.  I'm not saying your opinion is not correct; far from it actually. Just, before you pass judgement on these players, try to understand that their game style is different, and consider the game from their point of view.

Rexens_View

Good point, however this evolution may be what is leading people to abandon Ghosts in favour for other games.

You are right about perceiving things from another viewpoint.

If only the majority of the community did this there may be a semblance of standards back in the game instead of the competitiveness lending people to do whatever it takes to up their stats.

I am a prime example of this so I can state this with experience.

Started playing Ghosts with a BO2 mindset. The first 2 weeks was all rushers with maybe 10% campers/patrollers. Played BF4 for one week  and came back and the tables had turned, more than half the community were barely moving and corner camping. No biggie, I will just modify my playstyle a bit.

A few weeks later and my KD had dropped from 2.xx to 1.4.

A few drunken nights of playing later and it dropped to 1.005.

I had  fun playing pissed but my KD was nearly negative.

Time for a change.

Started creating back-to-basics classes and tried new things that I would never have done in past games.

I camped/patrolled to get my KD back up a bit, just to a respectable level.

I started using my headset instead of home theatre, chucked a couple of IED's with Danger Close etc and my KD per game went through the roof.

I have to say I am easily bored camping and I do get a sense of fulfillment of sorts when I go 21-0, 28-3 etc but not as much fun as mad-chaos style gameplay of rushing or run n gunning etc.

The game has now come down to me ADS with Thermal because everyone else is camping, so why not me ?

Use their own methods against them.

It works but I honestly believe that the game should not come down to this - that people will go that extra bit more and more to get that tiny bit of an advantage over others that it ends up ruining the experience for everyone. 

Squarefodder

Rexens_View wrote:

I have to say I am easily bored camping and I do get a sense of fulfillment of sorts when I go 21-0, 28-3 etc but not as much fun as mad-chaos style gameplay of rushing or run n gunning etc.

The game has now come down to me ADS with Thermal because everyone else is camping, so why not me ?

Use their own methods against them.

It works but I honestly believe that the game should not come down to this - that people will go that extra bit more and more to get that tiny bit of an advantage over others that it ends up ruining the experience for everyone. 

Of course you feel good when you go 21-0 brotha, camping or not. In fact i have respect for you if you camp and go 21-0 you got in opponents head and dominated that location...people get territorial and its usually perilous if they didn't already hold the territory.I agree that camping is boring but sometimes it can be quite effective esp if the other team is camping. thats the point i was making earlier.

Rexens_View

Yeah I agree, the thing is most of the community is playing like this now in some degree or another as it is the easiest and most effective way of playing Ghosts (IMO).

You don't see many people say "hey good game bro, that was some bloody skillful camping".

This is vastly different from other installments as many people would praise someone who was generally a more skillful player by engaging the enemy face-to-face using reflexes, hand eye coordination and accuracy to beat their foes.

That's when you go "holly sh*t bro that was some mad skills, props" (although connection quality plays a large part).

Now it seems like Ghosts has come down to who has the most patience and devious mind.

Not what most people expect from the COD franchise but that is how it is, people have to play how they like and if they don't enjoy it, play something else.

I am finding I have to do this (just bought Xbone Titanfall bundle) and play BF4 on PS4 because the playlists have stuffall players in them, the community is caustic and COD just ins't as fun as I remember.

It could be just the "good old days" being rose tinted but I used to really look forward to sticking in COD and playing for a couple of hours every day.

Not anymore. ( I never though I would say that). 

gotsomestars

I wonder where do you get your numbers? Do you have a "who's camping" program that tells you what percentage of total players are "camping" at any given moment? I'd love to see your numbers

lykbutta

Glad you brought that up. I got in a game late on Prison Break earlier and went 27-1. These 3 clan members on the other team were screaming "how do you have fun sitting in corner...you paid $60 for that".

My fellow clan member went 28-1 on the next map. We like to win. I cannot fault myself if you continue to run back to the same spot and I've changed places.

And I'm curious, why complain about another players fun level. You do understand this concept of people doing different things for fun that you might not find appealing.....I have fun winning.

HAve have a good one chief.

whiskey_49

I Can't stand the campers that play KC or DOM & have 25 kills with 1 tag on KC, 30+ kills on Dom with 0 captures. They really ruin those game modes smh

Camping for me is one of the funniest topics in all of CoD. I say its funny because of how many topics are made regarding it, and how much screaming I hear online from other people about it (literal screaming over their mics.) I myself have been called a camper numerous times, and I can personally care less. Hurling insults at someone because they are outplaying you with a certain play style only makes you look really stupid and its really funny.

I can camp, I can rush, just depends on the map, the mode, and the lobby I'm in. I was just in a FFA match in Warhawk and just about everybody was camping. OK, no big deal, I'll just pick my spot and camp myself. Only problem is now hardly anyone is moving, which I don't like, so I leave. Thats my suggestion for anyone playing a game that is pissing them off. Just leave. Its just that simple. Leave and go to a new lobby. I do it all the time.

There is good camping and bad camping. Good camping, to me, is holding down an area and moving from spot to spot in that area. Its just effective strategy. Bad camping, on the other hand, is either lying prone and crouching in a corner with your gun pointing at a doorway that only a small percentage of people are going to go through. Bad camping just pisses people off and gets you like what, 10 kills? Not smart.

Either way, whatever your play style, if you get in a match that has things that piss you off, just leave the match. Problem solved.

OUHATEME

I Use all game styles and I have no issue admitting it. If I am camping and you are kind enough to come at me the same way 7 times and get killed all 7 in a row that is more of an issue of you not paying attention to what is happening. In core there is a kill cam so if someone is camping you should know right where they are for most that would be an easy kill. In hard core it doesn't matter if they are camping or not I hear so many scream it when the person who got them was running and gunning. Since no kill cam and they didn't see how they got killed they mostly assume camper..

I Camp

i run and gun

i camp kill and move.

some games I will use all three styles.

i Admit to all of it I will do whatever is working for me and my team to win and I have no problem with how upset the other team gets with it... I have found that if certain things frustrate you it's because it works against you ,,learn how to do it . Then you can learn to overcome it.

well i have wondered that question aswell, but further more, I have wondered how it could be fun sitting in a building, with 2 IEDs and Aiming at a door for 10 min would be fun..

alot of fan boys on here defend camping, mainly because  they themselves camp, unfortunately for them this is why no one is playing this game.. why do you think things like the IED got nerfed or dead silence got a buff, and SMG's got a buff.. these changed were due to no one moving.. IW is trying to save their game and make it more enjoyable to people..

what I have learned from this community on the forum is they promote camping and if you dont camp, than you automatically run around like a "headless chicken"  in reality i never knew moving tactically fast paced is a bad thing in a fast paced twitch shooter?

malditor

Camping is a legitimate strategy that works for almost anyone. I don't like it, but for people who can't handle the fast paced game style that some of us like it's the only way they can "enjoy" the game. This is a lot like the reason they put support streaks in the game, to cater to people who aren't able to reliably get multiple kills in a row. The fact that they put the tracker sight in even with the dislike for the target finder in BO2 suggests that they are not going to change the direction of trying to help out the players that are not so good. It certainly is very annoying to get killed by people who are camping, but it is more annoying to have people on my team going 10+ more deaths than kills and causing the team to lose. I don't understand how it's fun to camp, but I do understand why it's fun to get kills and not deaths. This is the reason they camp. Sure we can tell them to "get good" and whatnot but not everyone can play as we do. I used to rage about campers, now I'll typically laugh and say "why in the world are they THERE". I like to break campers out of their hides because usually once they out they tend die repeatedly and leave. For me, that is fun, which is technically ruining their fun. Why should it be ok for me and not them?

Rexens_View

Good summary Malditor.

In Ghosts it has come down to being effective and not about twitch shooting anymore, players will adapt tot he style/strategy that works in a specific environment and one which is also easy: camping.

There is nothing wrong with it, it's human nature, however I can fully understand from a rushers perspective that it is incredibly frustrating to play a game against others who simply will not actively engage.

I used to be exactly like that a few months ago and you just have to resign yourself to the fact that this is how Ghosts plays, it is very KD focused and a result from that is people being very reluctant to die.

It is not about the kills so much anymore it is about lack of deaths.

I laugh at the idiot campers (corner campers) who do just lie prone or ADS at a doorway.

a) How boring, at least patrol camp

b) Your going to have pretty crappy kills if you don't cover multiple areas

Izjar11

8ULLETPR00F wrote:

how can you have fun in playing CoD if you know you are taking away the fun of others?

Question to you: What does "fun" mean in a FPS game?

TheBeastlyDude

Playing tactically is fun for me. I don't understand how running around, essentially moving your thumbs around more, is suppose to equate to more fun. Outsmarting someone, to me, is more fun than knowing I have quicker thumbs or a better ping than someone else. But... to each their own. I guess that is why I bought my game for me, so I can play it my way, just like you bought your game for yourself, so you can play your way.

Scorchin

I do like all the anti camping speeches , but the game itself was made for campers , the first mini movie , of the game when you turn it on , they hid under the bodies of there brethren and painted there faces , CAMPING lol and when the enemy drew close they hmm, ran around the map with a smg and all perks lol nottt the name of the game is GHOSTS , you don't see them till its too late "campers" , when you play the game , "there in the tall grass " , "up in the tower" about 90% of the maps are camping spots , heck even in Fog , theres a tent in the back with a fire and mallows , "camping" , cmon tell me you didn't see that lol 

if you want to run n gun , goforit , if someone wants to camp do it , if you don't like that they camped , toss some cooked grenades , I have a few setups for various maps , and I got a extra loadouts same weapons , but diff perks and lethals or tacts , like when enemy is hit with explosive dmg they become visible , ill find em , and get em lol

TheDarkOne123

I have a feeling that if they make an unbiased game campers and rushers will stop playing.

lykbutta

I mean, god forbid someone use something in the game. It's unacceptable. ***please detect my sarcasm***

rlbl

*pokes head out*

If one complains about camping, it is because one got beat* by a camper. Pure and simple. They did not have the wits to not get shot by a stationary target because they were too mentally lazy to realize that someone was aiming in their general location.

When people start to figure that this is not a game of "see who can run out to the center of the map 1st and win engagements", people will start to check their flanks, corners, communicate, and simply turn around every now and then.

* they may have won the match, and they may have gone back and killed the camper... but they still got beat because the camper killed them (at least once) when they had no idea they were about to die.  Don't get me wrong: Sometimes when I get killed by someone I ran past, I can get frustrated... but I ask myself: "Who am I frustrated with: The camper who killed me, or me for playing stupid?"

I am not saying camping is THE way to play; it is A way to play. Get used to it, adapt, kill them, move along.

starbuckfrack

You just made the campers even more happier by making this post complaining about them.

If you cry about it the campers win. Dont let them win.

The instant they made a map with a wall in it, guess what. There will be a camper hiding behind that wall. you need to blame yourself for running past that wall without looking.

CampSauce

Let me answer youre question because im a serious camper. I wont move from the same small area the entire map. I absolutly love hearing people rage at me in there mic. It drives me to camp harder. I keep the spawns from flopping so my slaying teammates can get kills easier. So i feel im actually helping my team, especially in TDM where ill go like 20-2. Camping is my play style. And i have so much fun doing it.

Izjar11

CampSauce wrote:

Let me answer youre question because im a serious camper. I wont move from the same small area the entire map. I absolutly love hearing people rage at me in there mic. It drives me to camp harder. I keep the spawns from flopping so my slaying teammates can get kills easier. So i feel im actually helping my team, especially in TDM where ill go like 20-2. Camping is my play style. And i have so much fun doing it.

Ohhh a good camper,  you dudes are fun to play against...if your a TDM player add me, like to test how good you actually do camp.

egotrip7809

this is why no one plays the game..  players would rather play for other people emotions and reactions than play the game for themselves and try to be good at the game..

this is why i joined a clan, so players like you will not be on my team.. and it is also why i play FFA so if players like you are camping, i dont try and go after you, ill let you rot in that corner while i get the kills and win

Bubbakush

If no one played the game why are we all on a forum about the game? Discussing the game? Again I see another well thought out comment.

He just stated he can go 20-2 playing TDM last time I looked that was a good TDM player so there goes you're complaint about people playing to get better.

and as for the playing for other peoples emotion BS EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE plays for that if you make someone rage you are doing something right unless you are a troll but that's a mute point.

jack_sparrow_84

I like your question and I am a player that is on both sides of it. I camped my butt off when I was trying to get the ghillie suit. I camp on Stonehaven, Prison break, Siege, Whiteout, sometimes Stormfront.(these are bigger maps and camping should be expected) I like trying to find a really good spot that people can't kill/ see me in.

BUT on small to medium maps and all small maps it's very frustrating to get killed by a camper and or spawn killed. Camping has it's time and place and if I get killed outside of what I consider the proper camping times then I let people know how I feel about it through my headset and of course they get all defensive " It's part of the game, get a life, it's just a game"

Unfortunately I've come to realize that as long as there will be call of duty games we are going to have campers and Noob tubbers

Foxhound-Pro

8ULLETPR00F wrote:

Putting a close to this discussion. The topic of campers has been discussed numerous times and at length. Please search for previous, existing threads before posting.