19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 2:28 PM by taymedown RSS

Silent Patch Notes

AntiGov

As some of you may know IW has patched Ghosts without releasing patch notes. So far I have found a few things I believe have changed.

Host records have been reset and requirements to host have been altered. (I have been pulling host and I shouldn't be host)

SMGs have been buffed, well some of them. (You can google that one.)

LMG mobility has been slowed a little bit. (Might just be me.)

Sound has changed again.(Not sure what got nerfed or buffed but footsteps are louder it seems. I also think they made Dead Silence more silent.)

What have you guys noticed? We should be getting another patch tonight for the upcoming DLC, we should get patch notes this time. Maybe we can see if we can name all the changes.

• Re: Silent Patch Notes
          EJKHunter

Okay,

1) There's no such thing as a "silent" patch, there are hotfixes, but hotfixes are server side or very limited background download while in the game (example: when it tells you playlist data is out of date). If it were an actual patch, it would have to go through Microsoft/Sony and it would have to inform you and ask if you wish to install. That much data cannot transfer without permission.

2) The hosting has been an issue for months now, and it seems to change in waves. There are times I get host (I'm a good option with my connection), but there are more often people getting host that in zero way should get it... it's done this since day one, and I don't see it ending.

3) There only buff/nerf guns in title updates, as it's patch data that needs to be altered for their changes to... ya know.. work. If you're experiencing issues with a weapon, there's either a problem with the connection, or between the controller and chair... and I didn't mean that offensively, it happens to us all. Today I couldn't hit the broad side of the dirt with my Vepr, and there's a lot of reasons for that. An hour later and I was a marksman with it, so apparently those reasons panned back into the norm. S*it happens, best I can tell ya because there's been no major buffing or nerfing lately.

4) Dead Silence can't get any quieter, it's already muting multiple audio signals entirely. If you're working Awareness, you can hear the footfalls from Dead Silence, the range is a bit shorter than in the past, and your headset needs to be up high (to the point gunfire is deafening usually), but you can hear them fairly clearly... without it, you simply don't hear DS users at all.

We'll get a Title Update either Wednesday night or Thursday morning which will contain mostly playlist and map rotational changes, though they'll include a lot more as usual.

Slopat

3) There is indeed a buff coming to SMGs according to Drift0r, it just hasn't hit the 360 yet. (Unless it did today.)

EJKHunter

Yeah, there will be, but it hasn't yet. At least I've not noticed a single improvement with any SMG's as of last night, most are still worthless in a gunfight even on Hardcore lol

Oh, and if you've been a selected host, you'll have the longest startup countdown in a match.. should be around 24-26 seconds, anything lower and you're just a peer.

I've heard as large as 60 seconds, but I've never seen a single instance of this except when being chosen a host of an overseas group of players, which would make sense it would take longer to establish you as a host... but domestically, anything larger than 30 seconds and I can almost bet there will be major lag issues for everyone but you, dropped players, and a host migration about a minute in lol

AntiGov

So you're saying the last patch was on the 4th of March? I recall one around the 14th that didn't have patch notes, it was a 1gb+ patch on the Xbone and a 750mb ish patch on the 360. They never released the patch notes and have since stated that they did it on purpose via twitter.

That's the "silent patch".

I suggest you learn how to use google prior to insulting someone over something you were clearly wrong about.

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200854116

EJKHunter

Just did, there's literally nothing compelling about any such patch on any system other than the PS4, which was to correct a crash.

I don't know what you're going on about looking this up on Google, and according to my 360 console the last TU downloaded was on the 4th of March. No further updates have ever come up sir.

I wasn't insulting, I was informing, and clearly as I now DIG through Google looking for this alleged silent patch and find all of jack nothing except talk on the PS4 update on the 13th, I am starting to feel you've been drinking too much of your own Kool-Aid... sorry. Find me a reputable and reliable site talking about this, and show me proof there was a patch (which there wasn't, I was on playing on the day in question) and I'll consider believing any of this nonsense.

I know there was a BUFF to the SMG's, but only on the PS4 and XBone, we'll get it eventually but they needed it more apparently for balancing. I know all about that, but literally there's nothing else confirmed.

newm8n

he is correct there was a no patch notes patch and since then around a gig on the x one and since then i cant get open nat.

EJKHunter

Yeah, there's nothing on the 360, I think it's demographicly centered on the next gen, probably because they're both considered very underpatched presently. It isn't like they don't need patched up, they do desperately, but there's been limited support for some odd reason that I can't figure out yet... "lazy" comes to mind, well, lazy when it comes to actually facing the work one has to put into tuning an engine... they just want to focus on the bodywork...

so it's very possible the current gen consoles are getting these silent patches since I know the PS4 doesn't autopatch when you open a game, it just background downloads updates and installs without a fuss... I'm guessing the XBone'd is much the same way out of convenience. So these invisible patches could easily be done and you'd never know likely, where on the last gen (ps3/360) here there's no actual manner to do that unless you include a lot of extra data without listing what it does in an announced patch - which I could believe them doing, hell, I'm fairly sure they do this silent patching within the actual TU's... but in this last patch's case for us 360 users, if they did implement changes without telling us, they weren't major, and they haven't been altered since the TU on the 4th. There have been no version differences on the third number, which means there haven't been any hotfixes either lately since at least that same week, other than one playlist change for April Fools Day... which was amusing.

So yeah.. my point was that if it's there, there's been no alterations to it. So either it's all been perfectly accepted, or none of it's been active. Then again, I know people that since the 4th haven't been able to play the game, or there is enough of a sync issue for them that it's completely unplayable... my clan leader for example hasn't been able to play since the 4th, the game has been completely unplayable for him since he updated.. so he's waiting for the next TU to try again lol

I don't doubt things are installed without notes within title updates, but from my end there's been zero changes since the last TU except on the 1st when they updated core playlist with amusing names, and as far as I can tell absolutely nothing else was affected by this playlist update

Shin_Ryld

Woah, buddy.  Someone needs to hop on the chill out train to Stopbeingsosensitiveville.  There was nothing in his response that was insulting, Touchy Mctoucherson.

IndyOldGuy

EJKHunter wrote:

Okay,

1) There's no such thing as a "silent" patch, there are hotfixes, but hotfixes are server side or very limited background download while in the game (example: when it tells you playlist data is out of date). If it were an actual patch, it would have to go through Microsoft/Sony and it would have to inform you and ask if you wish to install. That much data cannot transfer without permission.

a silent patch is something that they do in a known patch, but do not tell the community about it to try and get unbiased feedback

EJKHunter

It's a hotfix without notes, I fully understand the theory and I've even noticed the version number in past CoD's change randomly it seems (due to hot fixes), but since the 4th when the last TU dropped, my version number hasn't changed a single variable. So if others have, I'd say this whole silent patching is limited to specified areas or regions or demographics and I'm not part of the testing lol I also understand they put things in said patches they don't inform us about. That's not a silent patch, that's testing changes which can be hotfixed out later. A silent patch would be an invisible download in the background, but that wouldn't work on a console considering the manufacturers privacy features in the dashboards - it has to ask us to do anything... lol

What I'm trying to say is that for ME and anyone I know, there hasn't been a single change ingame, there's been no download, no major connection issues, no version change at the post-intro screen. That and I've Google searched all of this, and nothing comes up from any legitimate or reliable sources. I've tried multiple search engines, no definitive results. The only reputable information regarding any patch post 3/4/14 was the Playstation 4 patch on the 13th to fix a major crashing issue. You see, these reputable sites won't speculate or mention anything they can't find legitimate sources with - and coming from my scholastic background, if you can't provide legitimate sources, your information should be disregarded as speculation.

I want to see proof from a reputable source that this happened, and the link last provided to me form this very forum only confirmed the PS4 patch and there were no further notes. That.was.it. It proved nothing else lol

iBRunning

Dead silent more silent? Are they insane? You could already only hear people right next to you when you run amplify and put your volume to deafening levels.

Slopat

How do you know you are host?

AntiGov

I play HC SnR exclusively and at the start of the first round I usually spawn in around the 15-20 countdown mark. Since I have been getting host I spawn in at 59, that's the indicator. Since moving to my new place, during MW3, I haven't pulled host since then. I currently have DSL and my speeds are 3mb down and .8mb up, clearly I shouldn't be host. It's obvious that they altered the criteria for host selection seeing as how I didn't pull host until the "silent patch".

VenserTheExiled

ive gotten 60 second countdowns the last 30 games in a row, leaving some lobbies, staying in others... still, what are the chances? or is it i am really host that many times? my last 5 game KD has gone up from avg 3.0 to 7.0 .... host rules?

Paladin244

I did a QoS update to my router a week or so ago, changing the priority of my Xbox 360 to high.  It just might be coincidence, but before the update my countdown clock at the start of a match was usually around the mid 20's.  After the update almost every match now starts with a countdown clock in the upper 50's.  The countdown usually drops to 15 seconds when the timer gets around the 45 second point prior to the match starting.  My ISP hasn't changed and my bandwidth usually runs 50-60 down/10-15 up.  I doubt I'm hosting every match also.

toby_jugs

I am always 1st one in the game on the countdown.

does this mean i am always host?

not blinking likely.

i simply have a digital copy.