8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 10:33 AM by LifeSong1 RSS

Is There Any Way To Get The Call Of Duty App On Windows Vista??

BrodieStrud

i have a windows 8 pc but its downstairs, and my laptop is a vista... anyway i can get my app on here so i can stop running downstairs like a mad man after every 2 rounds

• Re: Is There Any Way To Get The Call Of Duty App On Windows Vista??
          jnikoley

The official answer is "no, your device is not supported".

That said, yes you can.  You can download a program called "blue stacks".  It will run android tablet apps.  The tricky thing is, since the cod app isn't officially supported on android tablets, you will have to download the cod app from a 3rd party download site.  The file type will be an .apk file.

Now a word of caution... Do so at your own risk.  Many 3rd party download sites will put a bunch of misleading links all over their sites.  If you click the wrong link, you will get a virus.

As far as blue stacks goes, it's 100% legit.  I use it. Blue stacks emulates android tablet, unfortunately, not android phone.  Still if you want to run any android app on your PC, it's good, even if you don't bother to get the cod app.

Your other option is to install Win8.  You can download the cod app from the windows store.  It works great, although PCs aren't "officially" supported.

Right now, I can run the app 3 different ways: ios, blue stacks, and windows 8.1.

jnikoley

Thanks.  I think it's a good idea to have as many ways to run the app as possible.  Last war, I left the app on my Win 8 PC running before I left for work. When I got home, and it was clan war time, my Win 8 app was still showing the map, and updating wins. At that time, the app was officially "under maintenance".  Unfortunately, I closed the app after 15mins on the PC, and on re-starting it, it no longer showed the map.  I just felt kinda "dirty" knowing I could see the map, and no one else could.

BrodieStrud

THANKS MATE, , SOOOOO HAPPY NOW

jnikoley

Glad to help.  One last cautionary note.  Although blue stacks is legit, since it's free ware, do a custom install as you would any free ware.  I don't recall the installer trying to add anything when I installed mine, but there's probably more than one source, and different versions of the installer for blue stacks.  Only thing I've noticed in blue stacks that could be a "hook" is that it always tells me that my drivers are out of date, and asks me if I wish to update them.  I have not clicked yes a single time, and never intend to find out what happens when I do. I suspect it will open a web link to a paid driver scanner program.  But hey, it's free ware, and they have to get paid somehow. Even my AVG free and Malwarebytes have similar "hooks" integrated throughout the software.

LifeSong1

We used to not be able to talk about Blue Stacks and installing it on devices that aren't supported. Maybe they have relaxed on this. We'll find out I guess.

I have a Nexus 7 Tablet that is not officially supported but that the app works great on. I have to uninstall and re-install it whenever there is a new version released but all it would take on their end is saying it is supported.  Either way, you can get it to work on most android devices rather easily just like the Blue Stacks solution...though probably a bit easier.

See this link for more information on getting it onto unsupported Android Devices. http://www.codcp.com/FAQ/#CODMobileApp

The only thing that I would also note is that when downloading, they will sometimes open up additional tabs with ads, etc. To get what you need no tabs/windows should open up so just close them and as the original poster said, be careful what you click on outside of this. I use these steps every week or two when they put out a new version (only know they do this because my phone gets an update).

jnikoley

I was unaware blue stacks was a taboo topic. I could see how a discussion about it could go into a direction that would be inappropriate, though. Bottom line, whatever you use to run the cod app, be sure you always follow the online play Code of Conduct, and established rules if play.

LifeSong1

They don't really want people using it in odd ways like Blue Stacks or side-loading (thus the reason "Blue Stacks" as one word is a banned word).  I'm guessing so that they can more control the users experience. The other draw back is that it's possible your app is mis-behaving because you don't have the latest version because you side-loaded it and didn't update it.  These are valid reasons, but I do think they need to support more devices, especially android tablets and even a simple website which would mean people wouldn't need to use blue stacks or a side loaded application...