30 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2014 10:07 AM by ANWRambo RSS

I'm terrible and am asking for help!

gehmnal

Yep, I'm that guy... the one who goes 6 and 13, 9 and 23, and my lord once even 0 and 9.  The one who can pull off a decent spot in the scoreboard on a Domination match by playing objectives but whose K:D ratio is so bad you'll ask yourself "Why is he on our team???".

I want to get better, I really do.  If I die I try not putting myself in the situation that got me killed the first time.  I used to sprint almost all the time, and I used to reload after every time I fired my weapon but I've broken myself of those habits.  I take it slow around corners and keep my sights up around head level to improve my chances of getting the kill.  I watch videos on how to get better.  More often than not though I find myself hitting X to respawn and eventually switching to play Infected where I actually do quite well.

It seems like no matter what I do, I'm dead.  If I take it slow around corners, there's an enemy there just waiting and shooting me before I can even pull the trigger.  If I try to use cover when I know there's an enemy nearby, I either end up dead by someone else coming up from behind or god forbid I get shot through the cover without even being seen! (I've seen this happen a few times in my death replay)

Can anyone offer any advice or tips on what I can do to improve so I don't drag the rest of my team down?  Perhaps perks that are "must haves" for people as bad as I am?  For weapons I'm currently switching between the Maverick with Thermal Hybrid, Muzzle Brake, and Grip, or the Honey Badger with Tracker Sight and Grip.  For perks I typically take anything that helps steady my aim and reload faster.

• Re: I'm terrible and am asking for help!
          the_eon

Can I ask, do you use Dead Silence and Focus?

gehmnal

the_eon wrote:

Can I ask, do you use Dead Silence and Focus?

I use Focus (helps my aim) but not Dead Silence.  I was considering putting it in and dropping something else (like Scavenger); I'm assuming since you mention it that I probably should.   I also tend to run without a pistol and tactical, and one loadout I use often has no lethal while another does so I get extra perk points.

lzjar11: No, I am not one of "those players" lol.  Like I said I've broken myself of the habit of sprinting everywhere, and I do try to make an effort of scouting spots before moving in.  Problem is, I tend to find myself dead from behind the minute I stop moving or even if I scout out, dead the minute I turn a corner.  I never seem to be able to fire faster than the other guy.

Izjar11

Learn by playing (and dont feel bad for it) lose and learn remember what happened and use it or try to adapt.

I just hope your not one of those players who doesnt care at all, and walks into areas just to die.

ThePrincessSlayer

I feel your pain as I am not that great either. I am rapidly improving though by trying new things, learning and adjusting.

The #1 biggest thing to me is learning the maps. I threw in MW3 last night where I don't know any maps and did horrible. Its not that I suck that badly, it was running or creeping into kill zones because I didn't know any better. No plan whatsoever. Ghosts on the other hand I save myself a lot of stupid deaths by not running or sitting in places that I know are kill zones. If you don't know the maps well, put some squads time in, do some private matches with a friend and even run the maps through multiple times alone. You can then "plan" a strategy for what you want and don't want to do in each map and mode.

You mentioned running AR's like Mav and HB. Are you running quickdraw and ready up? Those can make a big difference with that critical fraction of a second to get ADS before the other guy kills you. Are you varying loadouts beyond AR's? A good SMG like MTAR is much faster for close quarters and tight maps like strikezone IMO.

Dead silence is almost a must for most situations. If you are not running dead silence you sound like a train coming through, the other guy is going to hear you long before he can see you. Amplify is also good to key in on the guys not running dead silence.

the_eon

You don't need Scavenger until you improve. Drop the secondary as well.

I tend to play slowly using the edges of the map and I will camp from time to time if I'm up against a really good team. I'm also a bit older so my reflexes are not great so I avoid o be on ones up close. My aim is good so I tend to win mid range battles. Running aro u nd in Ghosts is very hard to do unless your a very good.

My default class is a bit nooby but great for a beginner:

Honey Badger with Grip and Extended Mags

Ready Up

Dead Silence

Off The Grid

Focus

Amplify or Hardline

IED

No secondary or tactical.

I go 5 7 9 on assault.

Dog Missile Battle Hind.

Slow down learn the maps and that class will see you well. When you start improving you can drop Off The Grid for Quick draw or Stalker.

It's all about staying off the mini map ;-)

gehmnal

Thanks for the advice ThePrincessSlayer and the_eon.  I'm also "a bit older" (late 30's if that can be considered old lol) so my reflexes aren't as good as the kids these days.

I'll try the loadout you posted and see how it works.  I tend to try to "run and gun" more than I should but still scout before I move in.  I'm guessing that's my problem and I need a bit more patience to see me through.  If I get the drop on someone I tend to have decent aim but I can wind up spraying everywhere if things get hectic.

Again, thanks for all the help and ideas!

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I'm going to take a different approach here. Are you playing on an HDTV? Are you on Game mode? If not then switch your TV to it before playing. You could be suffering from bad input lag. If you have a computer monitor then try hooking your XBOX One to it. If you start doing better then it could be that your TV is introducing a good amount of input lag. 1080p monitors usually have less input lag.

the_eon

Ghosts is probably the worst call of duty to run and gun. It's very slow paced and you will get picked off.

Izjar11

the_eon wrote:

Ghosts is probably the worst call of duty to run and gun. It's very slow paced and you will get picked off.

biggest lie you can spread!

the_eon

It's not a lie in my experience. There has always been and always will be camping in call of duty but it's higher in this game than the others. I can run and gun in other cods and die a lot less than in this game. People play this game lot slower,  I'm not saying that's a bad thing it's just what I see.  The time to kill has a lot to with it in my opinion but if they take one thing from this game on to the next I hope it's the hit detection and the time to kill which is spot on , again in my opinion.

gehmnal

I will agree with the_eon, in my VERY limited experience.  Black Ops was the first CoD I had played (and first FPS I had played since Quake 3 Arena first came out on PC), then I moved to Black Ops2/Halo4 and now Ghosts.  I wasn't very good at Black Ops due to it being my first console FPS.  I was considerably better in Black Ops2; not fantastic mind you but I felt like I could hold my own.  Moving into Ghosts, I really played like I did in Black Ops2 and am finding that I obviously need to change my playstyle.  I was a run'n'gunner in BO2 and am finding it's just not working out for me in Ghosts.  Hence this thread asking for help!

Izjar11

the_eon wrote:

It's not a lie in my experience. There has always been and always will be camping in call of duty but it's higher in this game than the others. I can run and gun in other cods and die a lot less than in this game. People play this game lot slower,  I'm not saying that's a bad thing it's just what I see.  The time to kill has a lot to with it in my opinion but if they take one thing from this game on to the next I hope it's the hit detection and the time to kill which is spot on , again in my opinion.

Your statement "Ghosts is probably the worst call of duty to run and gun. It's very slow paced and you will get picked off." is a lie.

The really good players know this, and use it and do well. Just because others are not successful at "rushing" doesn't make the game "worst for rushers" at all.

To say it like this: The team that moves forward, and kills and continues that pressure are the ones who WIN the match. Not the stagnant player getting a few kills sporadically.

Reason why partying up with others is key, communication on positions and direction with your party play the difference in finding the enemy.

This game is as slow as you the player want it to be.

FaNtasY_KiLLer11

I am pretty good at this game but would be even better if I didn't mess around or have stupid deaths as my kd is 1.96.

Any assault rifle with red dot and extended mags

- red dot helps with accuracy even thought iron sights on this are good, and ext. mags causes less reloads

No secondary

NO lethal, no tactical

- more points for perks which helps

Perks- Stalker - very useful for assault rifles

Dead Silence - is a must have

Focus - very useful as it lowers view kick

Fully loaded or scavenger which ever you prefer

Amplify or icu - amplify allows you to hear people louder, only use if you have headset, icu allows you to gain health back faster

Streaks: IMS, Sentry Gun, and Battle hind

Blee103093

The Remingtion with foregrip, muzzle break, and red dot is the best setup ever.

3 attachments, quickdraw, ready up, dead silence are the best perks ever to run with that gun

I usually set my killstreak at dog, trinity rockets, and battle hind because I think it helps me get better trying to go for higher streaks.

Take it from a guy who has been playing CoD since the beginning. But of course, I'm one of those guys who plays for 7-9 hours a day, only stopping to eat and go to the bathroom every once in a while. You definitely don't get good by only playing for 30 minutes every 3 days or so (I am not knocking the people that do though! I know some things are way more important. As a college kid I have a lot of free time). I've played so much that I understand all of the spawns, I know how all the guns work, and I know the behavior of most players. It just takes a bit of practice is all.

PUR4IDO

You have taken the 1st step.. Admitting you suck. not the lags fault, your fault. That's great.

Dude, there is not much you can do. You just have to learn to play the game like the rest of us did and are still doing. You also have to understand that you are playing against players who have been playing this game for close to a decade.

There is no go to gun or perk. Perks are meant to aid you not give you skills you don't have. There is no perk to help you aim.

People will tell you to use, this perk or that perk, etc. That won't help you get better.

Most important things:

Learn the maps, map knowledge is very important. There will be times that a lower skill player will out play you, because  he is playing smart. Using the map to his advantage.

DON'T CAMP.. you will never learn to play if you don't move around.

DON'T WATCH YOUTUBE..YT vids consist of players stomping on players like you. Not saying those players are not good, but it's easier to run & gun when players don't shoot back.

Use Headsets, communication goes a long way and it helps when you can hear gun fire, footsteps, etc. I can hear silenced weapons being fired when I'm close to the person firing. It helps.  A LOT.

Game Modes:

Some games modes are easier than others.

Stay Way for Objective game modes until you grasp the basics.  I see new players play DOM & KC and think that by capping every flag they can or collecting every tag they see, will help the team. It doesn't help the team if you're constantly dying,

Going 8-30 w 20 tags collected is NOT good. You gave the opponent 30 chances to collect your tag and you fed them kills that can lead to kill streaks.

Stick to Free of ALL or TDM., STAY AWAY from GW. GW is feeding grounds for try hards. Those modes are slower paced.

SET GOALS:

Set some REALISTIC goals for yourself. Try to average 3-5 Kills. When you can get 5 kills consistently, then go 5-7, etc. There is a reason 3-5-7 is the magic # in COD. The casual average player will always fall between those 3 numbers when it comes to chaining kills together. Closer to 3-5 than 5-7. SAT COM, DOG, IMS, SENTRY, care packages in older cods,all fall in that magic range.

If got to this part, that means you read this whole post. Notice, I didn't suggest any weapons or perks, etc. I can't because we don't play the same way. You need to try ALL the weapons and figure out, which one you feel comfy using, same w perks & attachments.

Also, this is very important.. This is something people to choose to ignore or forget. For EVERY POSITIVE PLAYER, there needs to be more than 1 negative player.

I usually play after 7 EST, if you ever want to w somebody.

KillerTpick14

I am having the same problem my kd is a .24 and won't get any better. It makes it hard for me to get accepted into clans and I am often the worst on the team. Atleast I brought it  up from a .007 I don't even know how it is possible to get a kd like that.

SwampDawg

I am in the same category as the OP. Not good and probably will never be good. I have been very lucky to find a friend on xbox who seems to enjoy helping me out. He is 100 times the player I am but we still have fun playing together. He gives me direction but only in a joking, friendly way and it HELPS!!!

I'm lucky in that he finds it as funny as I do with me trying to figure this game out. Very patient yet a great person to learn from.

If you can find a "teacher" who you enjoy playing with and vice versa, it can make a tremendous difference. It sure makes the game a lot more fun and yes, we have a LOT of fun!!!

Try all the different weapons and perks and mostly, just enjoy the game and have fun.

SwampDawgg

Blee103093

It's nice when the community gives back, right? My best friend and I have been playing CoD together everyday since MW2. My friend stopped playing frequently during BO1, but I have literally played 7 hours a day every day since BO1. So naturally, my skills are far greater than his. I can predict spawns, I know what guns to use in certain situations, I know drop and jump shots. So my friend and I started playing daily again in BO2. We'd always do extremely well, making it to master's in league play. But he just couldn't figure out why I was getting swarms and always topping off the leader board. So when Ghosts came out, he got extremely frustrated because it's such a different game. Well last week, I came up with an idea. Every day, we'd play an hour or two of 1v1 on Strikezone. At first I would always be him something like 30-10. I started to teach him how to predict spawns, the ranges on the mtar and Remington, and how to jump and drop shoot. And now, he's brought his KD up a whole point. He regularly goes double positive now. And we still do 1v1 every single day, and he gets better every single day.

MaRk0wNsYoU

I've been playing COD for years.  My k/d in Ghosts right now is a little under 2.40.  The most important thing you need to do, is LEARN the MAPS and SPAWNS.  Also, get accustomed to all of the camping spots that people will be sitting in.  Another important thing is your game style.  You have to find out if you're a run and gunner or a more tactical player.  I wouldn't continue using the thermal scope and tracker sight.  Those are very noobish and you won't get many kills with it.  It's the lazy way to play.  You should get used to guns with good iron sights like the honey badger or k7, or you can use red dot sights.  Make sure you're comfortable with your sensitivity of your controller.  Some people play with it very low, and some play with it very high.  Try to find a balance that your'e most comfortable with.  Where you can aim good but you're not too slow.  Also, some guns are better suited with different maps.  For instance, Most people use submachine guns on StrikeZone because it's a close quarters map.  On Stonehaven most people use Marksmen rifles, Assault rifles and sniper rifles.  You just need practice and map awareness.  Like the old saying goes, Practice makes perfect.

gehmnal

Well, I want to thank everyone for all the advice given.  It's a lot to think about and integrate into how I play.  I know it will take time, but I'll get better eventually.   The other day I even got my Sat Com kill streak a couple times in one match of TDM, without using Hardline lol!

My K/D has a long way to go but it will get there, eventually.

phxs72

I hate to say it but the Maverick is actually one of the worst ARs in the game for a beginner.  I'd suggest switching it out with a Remington and then you can lose the grip attachment and the muzzle brake.  I like to run it with just a red dot sight and a silencer but you might want to keep the thermal sight.  The main perk that you will need is Focus. I also like Blast Shield and Blind Eye (keeps you off of the Oracle).  Additionally you should have a class setup with Dead Silence and Amplify.  You won't need it often but when you run into guys using Amplify a lot then you will want to have it at the ready.  Use the Remington for your longer range engagements and the Honey Badger for your shorter range engagements.  Both guns will work for any range but they are better at certain ones.  Lastly, I'm going to suggest running support streaks.  UAV, Ground Jammer and Oracle.  The first and the last are to help you find the enemy and the middle one is to make it harder on them to find you.  You could switch out the Ground Jammer for a Night Owl if you like but remember that Owl follows you around and it will give away your position.

ANWRambo

I notice speed is very important in Ghosts,

It is a pain in the butt to get killed and have to run across the map to get killed by people waiting in corners.

If you move like a turtle and spend 5 to 10 minutes to get across some maps it is not very fun.

That is why a lot of people camp.

I can't play without using marathon, lightweight, dead silence maybe even amplify.

The game feels too slow paced if I don't and is hard to find people who love to wait in corners.

I love moving fast and catching them by surprise.

Sometimes it is hard to run and gun in Ghosts.

So many people camp a certain path using thermal scopes or tracker sights and just wait with a LMG or Sniper.

Everyone else seems to rush with a shotgun or mtar smg or ripper smg.

There really is no one way to get better.

You have to find that out for yourself by testing out different weapons and class setups.

What may work well on 1 gametype may be horrible and several others.

Figure it out or you could just sell the game and find another that fits your style of play a little better.