31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2014 9:56 AM by oRLsx317o RSS

FOR ALL SERIOUS SNIPERS IN GHOSTS

shurikenflinger

I'm new to the sniping community on Call of Duty Ghosts. I use a PS4. I would really like someone who is experienced at sniping, quickscoping etc. to teach me how to become one of the best. It is a big ask I know. I really want an experienced player to take me under their wing and teach me. Many thanks,

shurikenflinger

• Re: FOR ALL SERIOUS SNIPERS IN GHOSTS
          claisty

I'd like to help, but doubt I'd much make of a sniping mentor.  While waiting on someone willing to take on a new tutor have you considered playing against bots with the different sniper rifles?  This would be a good practice ground to hone your skills and get a feel for which rifle and perks you might prefer.

oRLsx317o

Haha Jaden is spot on.

To be honest it's pointless learning how to snipe or quickscope now. The sniper rifles have been nerfed so many times that they're now just there for show. You could just sit in your scope at the back of Stonehaven but if that's the case, I'd have to say good luck trying to find some fun in that :/

I came to Ghosts from MW3 where I sniped occasionally, and started out with the USR trying to get the Ghillie Suit just as a fun challenge. After I unlocked it I found I loved sniping on Ghosts, even if they were nerfed in comparison with MW3 (BO2 too? I wouldn't know, haven't played it), and I stuck at it, starting to win FFA games without kill streaks and getting clips and stuff, but then a couple of idiots that don't understand the flaws with killcams started crying and all of a sudden, the weapon class that's arguably the hardest to do consistently well with is ruined.

I still use a sniper rifle every now and then, but before the appeal with them was in the challenge. Now it offers nothing but disappointment, unless you're playing Timmy No Thumbs. Sorry bud

SGR-HoMiCiDe

I agree, the 2 reason I sniped in any CoD was the challenge, and it was fun for me. MW3 is where I started, MSR was magical. BO2 I really hit it off with the DSR, 17000 kills with it by the time BO2 ended, had around 9000 with the Ballista. (Switched to the Ballista after the bolt-action nerf made DSR too slow). On Ghosts, used the L115 and USR heavy, until once again, a nerf made base ADS speeds with snipers slower, but what really killed it was the 'Focus doesn't work like it should' nerf. Nearly impossible to get kills when being shot at with a sniper now. Seems like every CoD sniping only lasts maybe 2 months before people start screaming OP QS and ****.

oRLsx317o

I was doing alright with the MSR, Barrett and L118 on MW3 until I started using the brilliant PS4 controller for Ghosts, and now every time I go back to the 360 for MW3 I suck big time, despite it being much easier to snipe lol -_- the right stick's getting a bit wobbly which doesn't help, but I feel that overall I have less control over my aim with that stick. There's a bit where there's no movement but then I flies off and I'm like "oh great, there goes a collateral" lol

I absolutely loved the USR, and then I discovered the VKS and used them both equally, but just for the fact that I used the USR from the start I had far more kills with it and it was my most used gun until the MTAR took over a couple weeks back.

People that get quickscoped by good snipers don't seem to realise that it's because they're good with a controller full stop. Give them an MTAR or SC2010 and enjoy the multiple helo pilots or getting KEM'd all over haha...snipers are always at a disadvantage BEFORE you even consider that a missed shot or BS hitmarker usually means insta-death. Many guns in Ghosts will kill before they even have their sights up, unless it's an R5 or ARX in their min damage ranges.

You can't even really quickscope or "popshot" in this game either, considering the absence of crosshairs used to line up a shot, or the new total lack of aim assist until you're fully scoped in (sure, aim assist doesn't help when you're not moving your stick, but it helps pre-aim for a popshot), so the majority of decent snipers have to drag their aim over to hit someone. That isn't BS; that's maintaining control over a high sensitivity.

If you give someone that has a slow ADS weapon time to see you, ADS and then adjust their aim to kill you, you just suck, plain and simple lol

SGR-HoMiCiDe

Agree with all of your points. It's strange, the MTAR became my most used weapon as well, picked it up soon after I basically quit sniping. Now I'm at 18000 kills or so with it. I've honestly stopped playing CoD as much as before, anytime I get on PS3/PS4 it's either for GTA V or Warframe. Just nothing 'challenging' to do since the most fun thing for me was sniping. As far as popshotting/quickscoping, it was really bad in MW3. Could get hit just by someone closing their crosshairs in over your body. They fixed it for the most part in BO2 (best sniping I ever did). Honestly thinking about getting Battlefield 4 tomorrow and trying out the sniping there.

oRLsx317o

Yeah I love it; it's not a true SMG so you'd think it wouldn't be the ideal weapon to fit my rushing style (on most maps anyway), but it's versatile so it suits a larger number of maps.

This week I've started playing TDM again after another influx of thermal LMG cheapos appeared and I was put off, but in the last three days I've been using a variant of my MTAR class on most maps aside from Stonehaven or Whiteout: agility for smaller ones, and marathon or marathon + agility for larger ones. Strangely my accuracy has gone up from 21.57% to 21.63% since I started mainly MTARing lol, maybe my shot is just returning to me.

But yeah...I've been considering Battlefield 4 for a little while now, as Ghosts is my only PS4 game. I'm waiting for The Last of Us and Rainbow Six Patriots to come out, and maybe Watchdogs, so I could use another PS4 game for now.

gotsomestars

Try your local elementary school. Should find some EpiXxxxxxXX quikskopezzzXZzz there.

oRLsx317o

Also don't forget that while playing bots is great for practising your aim and technique, the transition to multiplying is a big one. You've got lag and common hitmarkers to deal with (even centre mass with a chrome lined barrel), unlike in a private match.

But (and it's a big but), playing against and dominating veteran bots could help you out somewhat. The majority of online players are nowhere near as good as those, so if you don't mind being seen through walls and pre-fired often by them, it's a really good place to start (even hardened would be a great idea)...in a way, the added quality of your opponents would make up for having no lag offline, whereas you will face worse players online but have to deal with varying levels of latency.

Make sure you go into options first, and customise the class restrictions so that they can't use throwing knives. You'll thank me later lol

shurikenflinger

Yeah man they are crazy with throwing knives. I'm able to win private match free for alls against veteran bots with a sniper just finding that online it is a lot harder. I really appreciate the advice though. I'm just baffled by how amazing people like FaZe Rain are as they seemingly manage to hit quickscopes before smgs and ars can kill them.

oRLsx317o

Oh yeah...they see you through a wall and mash R1 before you can blink lol. The wallbangs too, crazy...

Sure people like that are good, but you won't really see that crowd on Ghosts anymore; they've all gone back to BO2 or MW3.

I'd suggest checking out Shorty Payne's channel on YouTube. He has the most accurate shot I've ever seen from a sniper, and he's well known for his MW3 tutorial and BO2 vids. And believe it or not, gotsomestars, he's not a kid with a ridiculous gamertag either, shock horror!

Snipers going for feeds generally play TDM, Dom or Drop Zone where you can find plenty of targets all lined up together, but Shorty mainly plays FFA as he just snipes to win. No feeds or trickshotting nonsense, just pubstomping.

He hasn't uploaded for a while since the SRs got nerfed into oblivion, which is a shame because his gameplays are of a better quality than most, but he has lots of tip videos and class suggestions for Ghosts. He's in a clan with Nine Lives, Pamaj and Daniel Kross who I'm sure you've heard of, so you know his advice is worth listening to

Schoat333

Best bet is to try and get some friends together and have a private sniping lobby. This would give you the same connection effects that online does.

Honestly I don't think anyone can necessarily "teach" you how to be better at sniping. As with all shooter games, no matter the weapon, you just have to practice, practice, practice until you get better. I'm no sniping expert but I back when I first started playing FPS games I downright sucked, especially with a snipe. Now I do pretty well between the mid to long range distances because at one point I decided to just equip a snipe and that was all I used. It also helps if you try and aim for a goal, mine was acquiring the ghillie suit which required 1000 kills with the chrome lining attachment. Used a USR with thermal vision to pick out targets better and just went to town. So like I've said, its all about getting the feel for it and just playing with it over and over to get better.

Schoat333

Agreed. Another good thing about practice with the sniper rifles is it helps improve your overall aim as well. I noticed after a few days of playing with nothing but the USR that I was able to hit longer shots with the honey badger.

oRLsx317o

Yeah you can't exactly be told how to do well with a certain weapon. Fortunately there are plenty of general tips to learn from the more experienced snipers out there though

I try to stay away from the thermal sight unless I'm on Stonehaven (everything's grey) or using the VKS (terrible scope); it just feels too easy. Which is exactly why corner dwellers use it on their camp classes, because it's cheap AF on automatics. It makes sense on marksman weapons but nothing else...I always get a laugh out of seeing the thermal option for SMGs lmfao, who came up with that gem?

Mikenasty_1

Check out "nine lives" on youtube. He is very insightful on sniping in ghosts, and does not do the 14yr old trick shot montage videos. He posts gameplays of him playing aggressive while giving tips. He has around 60 ghosts sniping videos. The last one I watched was him going 30-1 on fog with the USR.

CallofDookie2014

It's simple really. Left trigger,  then right trigger...aim assist will take care of the rest.

oRLsx317o

^ another unacceptably common misconception about aim assist and sniping in general, let alone Ghosts.

Aim assist only works with dragscoping, after you're fully ADS, because it was removed from the game when you're out of your scope. Aim assist does not = auto aim, like you get in the campaign mode.

Mikenasty_1

^

CallofDookie2014, go quickscope 10 straight games, and come tell us about that aim assist lol

onlineace

Im in the same boat most here who love to snipe are.  The USR was a beast with a silencer.  One shot one kill thrill is the greatest feeling!  Then the crack heads and pot smoking chumps who never bothered to learn how to snipe decided to complain everyday and everyway to the devs and their mommas so much so that it was nerfed.  Meaning the sniper class now required 2 shots for a kill with a silencer.  Its still a one shot one kill with the chrome attachment but its a dead give away of your position.  Basically the greatest and deadliest stealth weapon was killed in one day!   All because lazy weak players who only know how to rush all game long on every map could not figure out the mechanics and skill it took to use a bolt action sniper weapon.

oRLsx317o

The logic behind shrinking the 1hk areas with a suppressed sniper rifle baffles me (excuse the pun).

Standard small arms generally lose velocity and become "weaker" because they have to use subsonic ammunition in order to benefit from the suppressor, otherwise the weapon report would still be loud AF within the range that the weapon should be used. Sniper rifles generally use supersonic rounds so that they don't lose accuracy over range, otherwise it's pointless trying to hit the target at such a range. In fact, suppressors can actually boost range by a small amount (like 1%), but they certainly don't make a sniper rifle hit less harder.

The real life VKS sniper rifle actually uses subsonic rounds specially tailored to long range use, and it uses an anti-material 12.7mm round that could take out the engine block of an armoured vehicle. I doubt if you hit a real target with one in real life, he'd be able to take two rounds to the stomach before dropping lol

oRLsx317o

Not only did they try to stamp out quickscoping, but they ruined "proper" sniping too with the suppressor nerf. In other words, sniper rifles are just there for show now. If you can't sit at the back of the map and pick people off without having to cater to red dot chasers, what's the point?

CallofDookie2014

You keep telling yourself that quickscoping is all skill. I will keep calling it aim assisted bullshit. It still amazes me that the biggest most powerful guns are allowed to run around and kill without having to aim. But whatever Ghosts is just that to me,a ghost.Havent played multiplayer since December. And if the next CoD sucks as much as this one, I can wait another year...

shurikenflinger

On another note does anyone have any good sniping clans?