13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2014 9:15 AM by phxs72 RSS

So why don’t I have all these problems?

ThePrincessSlayer

I’m very curious about this. Also thinking if we can figure it out maybe it could help others….

I see all these complaints about lag/lag comp problems and people blaming IW/Activision for it. I can understand lag issues if you are in New Zealand with a 250ms ping to USA and are matched with people here, or if you are trying to play over 3G/4G or “pig farmer” DSL. These are all situations where you are going to have high latency and slow speed, not much that can be done with it.

I have virtually zero lag issues. It is extremely rare that I have a problem. You might think I throw $300 a month away at a 1Gig fiber connection and special routers, or I live right next to the backbone of the internet. Nope.

I’m in Minnesota, about 20 miles out of Murderapolis. This is certainly not the center of the internet nor would I expect a high concentration of Ghosts players here. I’m on a Comcast biz connection, I think 10 up, 50 down but my ancient cable modem can’t do more than 6/30. I have a consumer grade Belkin router, it ran maybe $70 a couple years ago. My old X360 hooks into a consumer grade 5 port switch and then into the Belkin. The X360 is DMZ’d but hasn’t always been and seems to perform the same either way. I also run 3 live IPTV channels from 2 servers on the connection but they are on a different switching setup than the above. In addition to that load there is the normal business and personal load. Laptops, tablets, Netflix etc.

I just checked the ping at the switch the X360 is on, 10ms. I check ping on a fairly regular basis using my laptop on WiFi, it is typically 13-15ms, never above 17ms. Right now it reads 12ms.

The only thing special I can think of is that I probably know a bit more than a typical end user about optimizing routers. My hardware is quite typical, the connection isn’t that fast compared to many guys.

So why do I rarely have lag issues? If the Ghosts system was so bad or broken I think I should see problems like people are reporting. What is different here?

• Re: So why don’t I have all these problems?

For the most part i dont have any problems either. The only time I see problems is when an enemy is using Agility with an SMG or shotty and have their sensitivity turned up. It seems like the game cant quite keep up with their fast movement.

Playing fast paced game modes like KC with above average players using Agility/SMG on the other team can be rage inducing for me at times.  I dont doubt that they are outplaying me, but it does seem like what im seeing isnt quite accurate. I dont think I really experience any lag playing TDM though. It seems slow enough that everything registers well.

phxs72

I'd say that the biggest differences are that you have your system set up properly (ie didn't try to cheat the system by crippling your connection) and understand the difference between lagging and getting out played.  Some folks have legitimate problems with their setups and simply don't know it (ie 3 laptops, 2 tablets, and 6 phones all streaming video while they try to play and did I mention those YT uploads at the same time?  All on a budget internet connection.)  Others live so far away from anyone that they are going to lag no matter what they do.  But the rest, I hate to say it, simply cannot accept the idea that they can be killed.  So every death that they take is the lag monster cheating them.  You can usually figure out whose who by the way that they qualify themselves by saying how great they are.  So it can't possibly be them actually facing great opponents and/or that they have great teammates that caused their kd to fall.  After all everybody should be able to go 25 and 3 in TDM every match if they've got a 3+ kd overall no matter who else is in the lobby right?  It must be IWs fault.

ThePrincessSlayer

Well I didn't want to open the thread by saying any of that but yes it has crossed my mind many times when I read the lag/lag comp complaint posts. I'm sure that is a lot of the people but not all of them. You are right, I have no problem admitting that I'm not great and I can't blame IW, Activision or the internet for that. I've still had those times where I swear I had the other guy dead to rights yet I get blasted and I've had those streaks Heck, I've had an hour straight when I could even camp and apparently not get the first shot in against guys running wild in the open. When I have these times I quit multiplayer and go over to squads where there is no lag factor. With no lag amazingly at those times I discover even against bots that I am just slow and/or playing like crap at those times.

I do also know from running websites, servers and technical internet stuff as a biz that the customer is often wrong. The first instinct is to blame the product or service because it could never be the guy's setup or crap internet or trying to stream HD on Wifi 300 feet from the access point.

Even knowing all this I still think that maybe there are guys with legitimate problems. If we could figure out why I have almost a total lack of issues maybe it could help others.

phxs72

I too have gone to squads after a frustrating multiplayer session only to find that I'm just not playing well that night.  It's a humbling experience but it does help one to keep their perspective of what the actual issue is.  Lag does exist but there is always a reason behind it.  For instance, this morning I played a couple of matches and while I could kill people I could only do so if they didn't see me first.  One bullet and I was dead every time no matter who shot me.  However, I expect that to happen when I play in the morning because it's way early in the morning and I know that I'm going to be connected to a host likely halfway around the world.  My ping to them is going to be horrendous and the best that lag comp can do is get me caught up enough to be maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 second behind the action.  When I play during prime time for my area there will be the occasional laggy match but most of them feel very even.

you dont half talk a lot of BS...this game lags badly,not for everyone but for many who play this game...every COD and Blops games have suffered bad lag issues for many but this game is the worst so far.To say that "you've been outplayed" without actually witnessing other peoples online experiences is just plain ignorant....but then i see a lot of that on these forums

phxs72

I dare say conservatively around 500,000 buy the game every year.  I would imagine that 100% of them experience lag at some point while playing.  However, to think that many people would buy a game that lags badly for most and keep doing so every year is to live in a bubble.  You don't have to be standing over each persons shoulder while they play the game to know that on a macro scale the presiding factor in poor performance isn't lag.  Yes for some it lags badly.  However, for most of those that complain, they got outplayed and deep down they know that they got outplayed.  Because if they truly believed that the game was so broken then they wouldn't keep playing it.  My discussion is based on macro tendencies.  Your counter is individual circumstances.  The two are not the same.  If you personally are one of the folks that suffer from actual lag issues then I truly do feel for you.  It's a very frustrating thing to deal with.  However, don't confuse isolated individual experiences with the community experience as a whole.

slyd0g55

You mentioned New Zealand! That's why you don't have any problems bro   

gypsyfrogking

i live alone so i dont have to worry about anyone else using laptops and i dont use a phone landline and i never experience lag, if im playing ghosts the only internet connection is to my console, a friend of mine has the same internet provider in the same town but lives with his family, he has sky television and landline not to mention other members of the family being on line at the same time, he suffers from lag all the time and if someone rings the landline he sometimes even loses connection, i dont know if this is the cause of lag ( to much being used at the same time )

ghamorra

It's really more about who's online with this game. Back in November I had NO LAG at all. Games were great and went exactly how I expected them too. If I died it was from a legit death, when I killed someone it was a legit kill. Neither were influenced by lag.

However, now that I'm playing on the PS4 I'll be lucky a game mode has more than 2,000 players world wide. This is where I find lag. When you have 12 players from all over connecting to a host the chances of the lobby having insane ping goes way up.

Remember, lag isn't just you, it's everyone who contributes.