11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 12:49 PM by Ungrateful_Dead RSS

DLC Maps - Does having them hurt your matchmaking?

This is intended mostly for the next generation console users; Xbox One and PS4, because they have fewer players online for matchmaking to begin with.  Xbox 360 and PS3 users, of course are free to add their input as well. 

(1) Have you deleted your DLC Maps?

(2) Did it make your matchmaking better without the DLC Maps?

I was reminded of the old options to disable the map packs when somebody on twitter announced they had to delete their DLC maps in order to find a game lobby on the weekend.  Going back to the original Black Ops, having the DLC maps could limit your matchmaking possibilities, which we all know does not make for smooth games.

For the older generation consoles; in COD games you could either select to search without DLC or you could disable the add-on through a PlayStation menu.  In my PS4 for Ghosts, I cannot find anything that allows this and it seems your only option is to delete the add-on.  As you only have a limited amount of downloads from the store for each purchase, I hope that you can at least restore it via a back-up if needed.  I may do a back-up of my system and do a test on this question to see what I find. 

Latest reply: on Apr 30, 2014 12:49 PM by Replies: 11 in GHOSTS GENERAL DISCUSSION
        • Test #1
          Re: DLC Maps - Does having them hurt your matchmaking?

1.  Yes, I deleted the Map Pack.

2.  Yes, matchmaking has greatly improved.

They should have never removed the disable DLC option and no idea why Sony didn't include the ability to deactivate DLC on their side as well.

They need to cater to the people who pay extra money for content, not limit them.  It basically makes me never want to buy DLC again.  I have bought a lot of DLC in the past, but disabled it from time to time either with the option or within the console by deactivating.  I had the best of both worlds.  Now I have a world where I have to delete the game and install without the maps to get decent matches.

Last Edited: Apr 29, 2014 11:04 AM
          • Test #1

I am on PS3 and have not deleted them. Even on PS3 they do hurt matchmaking but less so now that they made a dedicated play list for DLC maps. You still play DLC maps but not nearly as often. I suspect they put a greater emphasise on matching players based on good connections rather than who has the DLC. In fact DLC maps rarely come up in the rotation since the play list change. And I am often put in matches were many don't have the DLC. That was a great improvement from when match making was just based on who had the DLC. Still not as good as it was but much better than when the player pool was completely separated.

Last Edited: Apr 30, 2014 12:37 AM
            • Test #1

i took off the dlc for a week now, have played alot during clan wars.. and i am not sure if there was a major difference.

but i noticed alot of 1st prestige in the lobby..

so now i have reinstalled it.. I will share in a few days the results. If i am only getting master prestige lobbies and not much lvl1 prestige anymore then it does affect it.

Last Edited: Apr 30, 2014 5:28 AM
              • Test #1

The greater number of players will be in the non-dlc category which means the servers should be getting better (players closer to you) for match making. The fewer the players the less options for close (location) games. the dlc definitely divides the player base.

Last Edited: Apr 30, 2014 5:47 AM
                • Test #1

they do divide players, obviously those who have it and those who do not. I believe if they simply lowered the price to the DLC more individuals would purchase them.

Last Edited: Apr 30, 2014 6:22 AM
                  • Test #1

So last night I deleted the game and re-installed without the Onslaught DLC.  I only got into a couple of games and it was late, but I got put into lobbies instantly.  However, that was TDM where it was never a problem for matchmaking anyway.  By that time it was late and there were only 15K online on the PS4 so I shut it down.  Some modes had numbers in the 20s.  Imagine how crappy that matchmaking would be.

May try later today again and see how it goes.  Have been thinking about people purchasing the DLC and I suggest that the people on the next-gen consoles are more likely to buy DLC than those still on the previous generation consoles.  My theory is that the people who have spent hundreds to get the latest console aren't going to let a the cost of a map pack hold them back.  Among my online friends still playing Ghosts on PS4, all have either bought the Onslaught DLC or the season pass.  In previous games, there were quite a few that never bothered.

Last Edited: Apr 30, 2014 12:49 PM