1 2 3 Previous Next 177 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2014 7:51 PM by RP1986 RSS

100% Dedicated Servers?

Kuruption101

We don't want 50% Listen servers and 50% Dedicated servers.

I hope its 100% Dedicated.

• 1. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
          rankismet

Kuruption101 wrote:

We don't want 50% Listen servers and 50% Dedicated servers.

I hope its 100% Dedicated.

Exactly what are you expecting 100% dedicated servers to solve?

• 2. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
            nicedrewishfela

How's that working out for BF4?

They need to improve connectivity, but it is ridiculous to think Dedis are the ultimate solution to lag. They won't fix all the problems.

• 3. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
              lewdmouth

Host dashboard, cheating, consistancy in connection strength, bad hosts (not strong enough connection to host yet made host anyway), local resources not being used by players console to host a game, host advantage/disadvantage.  Besides that nothing.

• 4. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
                rankismet

lewdmouth wrote:

Host dashboard, cheating, consistancy in connection strength, bad hosts (not strong enough connection to host yet made host anyway), local resources not being used by players console to host a game, host advantage/disadvantage.  Besides that nothing.

On this we agree (consistency)... but everyone forgets/ignores what it introduces:

• Server maintenance downtime
                • Less than ideal ping if a given population is too far from a server farm
                • Shelf life of game functionality is reduced (they will retire the service)

And what too many think they do fix or solve:

• Latency
                • Lag compensation (or client-client connectivity)
                • Overall experience
                  • Titanfall and BF4 are very recent examples

Here's to hoping the AW crowd is more informed than the Ghosts crowd.

• 5. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
                  nicedrewishfela

Hope = Denied.

• 6. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
                    lewdmouth

Modern games with dedi's are programmed with listen servers as backup.

• 7. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
                      Kuruption101
                      • Host Migration: This should be non-existent. Players should be equal to the servers maintained around their regions. I shouldn't be on a disadvantage connection to someone that lives in the same region as me. 
                      • Hackers/Security - This is a major issue, not that hackers can't be on dedicated servers too but it would hugely reduce the amount of hackers that are on dedicated servers. The security is increased by server admins too. If anything there should be reputation system just like how GTA V has. Hackers that play the game should be put in their own server with other hackers.
                      • Performance for Gameplay - This could fall under host migration too but I shouldn't to be interrupted (Getting lag spikes) while playing a game mode. My connection shouldn't determine other players existance if they leave/dashboard.

These are the main things I'd like to see improvement on.

• 8. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
                        Kuruption101

Lag compensation can never be fixed 100%, but it can be reduced with dedicated servers than Listen/peer-to-peer connection.

• 9. Re: 100% Dedicated Servers?
                          nicedrewishfela

I am open to all options.

But I think the community has got this misinformed sense that Lag can be eliminated completely from Online play. Even more don't really know what lag or lag compensation is, and blame their every death or weird experience in game on it.

There needs to be improvement, for sure. But Dedis aren't the magical cure all too many believe they are. This is a very, very large, diverse community, and I am not sure even with Activision's resources they could ever meet the needs with enough Servers.

Hoping to see improvements and better communication with the community whatever path they choose.

1 2 3 Previous Next