16 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2014 12:27 PM by rankismet RSS

Security and the Next Era

nicedrewishfela

There has been an unfortunate trend throughout the history of the CoD series, and it is time to address it and bring it to the forefront.

Security.

Allow me to elaborate. On Thursday, we got a flood of information that the "New Era" of Call of Duty was going to be revealed this coming Sunday, May 4th. In typical Call of Duty fashion, they began giving us info in drips and drops throughout the afternoon, including a video about PMCs, an image from IGN, and Instagram video revealing Kevin Spacey's involvement and teasing his character. One would have expected this to continue throughout the weekend until the big reveal on Sunday (Still will be a reveal of the Magazine story on Sunday with more images).

Shift to last night (I happened to be up as I am On Call for work this week and was working on an issue), around 12:30pm EST. The Twittersphere and the Call of Duty Fan Sites like Charlie Intel and MP1st, amongst others, reposted a story from Destructoid that, lo and behold... had the full HD Reveal Trailer for Advanced Warfare, as well as Hi Res Images and information about the title...2 days before it's expected release.

So my question is this. Was this a Coordinated effort? Did Sledgehammer leak it on purpose? Today they seemed quite unperturbed by the fact their big reveal had been foiled and were slapping each other on the backs. And if it wasn't coordinated.... how does this happen? How does some random gaming site get a hold of this information before its release date? OR... did they already have this information and threatened SH Games with it's release, forcing Sledgehammer to rush the reveal date?

This, to me, is just typical of the security lapses we have seen in CoD over the past several years. Before every title, someone seems to get their hands on the game or on information that isn't supposed to be released until a certain date. But since this could just all be a scheme by the Devs, this doesn't concern me as much as the spirit behind some of these security lapses.

If they are this lax with information about the game... how are they protecting our game and our personal information?

Every year, we are given a release date for the game. And Every Year... people get their hands on the game early. People leak gameplay onto the Web, give out Spoilers, rack up their leaderboard rankings, and... most importantly... Start Hacking and Modding the game. There were reports from the first week of Ghosts of Hacks existing. Of people having compiled unrealistic levels and stats on Leaderboards. We still get reports of hacks and mods on a weekly basis... not all valid of course.

But what I want to know is... what is Sledgehammer doing to ensure the security and integrity of the game? What is being done about keeping early copies of the game from getting out to the public. How will in-game reporting and cheating be dealt with this time around. How can they assure us a clean, safe, fair gaming environment when the game is released on 11/4?

Wondering what your thoughts are. Are you as exasperated as I am by these constant leaks and the "shrug, who cares" response from devs? Would you like to see security stepped up for these games?  Or do you feel they are doing plenty, and that things like this just get blown up beyond proportion?

Looking forward to a good discussion on this topic, as I feel security should be near, if not at the top, of the CoD Community's list of concerns.

• Re: Security and the Next Era
          lewdmouth

It's not a security lapse. It's artificially created hype. Makes people feel like they are in on a secret. It was done purposefully.

ghamorra

This happens with every game. Even technology. Apple, Google, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, they all invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a product so it's probably safe to say that they spend a great deal of money and effort into securing the secrecy of their product. However there are leaks, tech savvy children of developers who find mom or dads flashdrive, laptop, or phone laying around and can't resist releasing images or whatnot.

I don't think it's a security issue. I find it more to be an impossible task. Thousands of employees work on stuff all the time and non-disclosure agreements are nothing more than verbal agreements that easy to dodge. Unless companies completely encroach on the freedoms of others I don't see this problem going away.

rankismet

ghamorra wrote:

This happens with every game. Even technology. Apple, Google, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, they all invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a product so it's probably safe to say that they spend a great deal of money and effort into securing the secrecy of their product. However there are leaks, tech savvy children of developers who find mom or dads flashdrive, laptop, or phone laying around and can't resist releasing images or whatnot.

I don't think it's a security issue. I find it more to be an impossible task. Thousands of employees work on stuff all the time and non-disclosure agreements are nothing more than verbal agreements that easy to dodge. Unless companies completely encroach on the freedoms of others I don't see this problem going away.

I work for a company that invests a lot of money into digital asset management...

... and it's far from perfect (but getting better).

You are very correct that the main issue is an employees lack of security awareness... another thing we get beat into our heads a lot where I work.

lewdmouth

It's my fault. I sold the video to Destructoid for 20000 dogecoins.

ChestSplittah

I'm taking it that there infrastructure has been compromised. Well...we know what to expect with this game from day1. I'm not going for it was intentionally leaked. You wouldn't have a date set just to let it look like you're not in control of your marketing, advertising,  public relations. ..