45 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2014 9:27 AM by KomradeAirik RSS

My K/D Has Become A Problem..

WilliamCL57

Not a brag thread, more of a "let me hide my k/d thread".

Allow me to explain. I have a 3.57 currently and simply because of that number, I get this on a near daily basis.

Someone verbally harassing me and saying crap like

Hacker

Camper

Noob

"Report this ******* everyone"

"Block him so we don't get matched with him again"

Yesterday was a bit of an annoyance because some guy came into the lobby, notices my k/d(he had a 2.7) and proceeds to say "Oh you know he's a camper with that 3.5, No way is that legit" No problem with that.. but after 1 match..

"William you are ****ing garbage man. No gun skill. Get the **** out with that fake as k/d" 

To put it in perspective, I don't' even have a mic to use on the Xbox One right now. These come in without me doing a single thing to incite it. Simple having a high k/d and I get subject to Harassment on a daily basis. Reporting people for it doesn't stop it. Muting people is a hassle and makes it so I can't hear death chat which is sometimes valuable callout info from the enemies.

I don't want to have to deal with it in every single game and I want to be able to still hear teammates when they talk and make callouts.. I wish I could just hide my k/d

THIS THREAD HAS A POINT:

When you see someone with a >3 or even >2 k/d, what is your first instinct about them? Do you immediately assume camper and therefore dislike that person? So far I haven't had a single good first impression simply based on people seeing my k/d. It always seems to be negative and full of hate. I'm simply tired of the unprovoked harassment and messages I get from people >.> Anyone else have similar problems with harassment?

• Re: My K/D Has Become A Problem..
          Akeem7

having a high kd doesnt mean camper in majority of cases. unfortunately the minority reflect badly on all those with high kd's. tbh people on cod are just childish and act all hard cause they can hide behind a mic just ignore it and let your gaming do the talking

DeeJay85

Hit the mute button and keep playing your game. Or just plain ignore it. That is the only way that it will go away.

philp18

i don't care about other people k/d. you should be happy or proud to have a 3.57 one but because of other people consideration you don't.

mine is very low  because of a lot of mistakes i made  in the first weeks i played.

you can think i am a noob or a bad player  like a lot of people do but i don't care.

when i join a lobby nobody leaves or complain about it.

when i play with my clan , my teamates are happy because they think my low k/d makes matchmaking easier for us  and the other team doesn't leave.

so i don't care  about it and play for fun and for win .

LVLikeG

I don't look at kd's when I get in a lobby.  Over the years, I've learned that stats are almost meaningless. 

iHattoriHanzo0

I agree stats should be a personal thing that other players can't see. Its fuel for trash talkers like you said.

jasonwojo

Ignore them, a bunch of childish idiots play this game and your not going to stop them.The other night I had a guy scream camper every time I killed him even though you could clearly see I was running when I killed him. All you can do is laugh and move on.

DARKPHOENIX800

Don't let them knock you they are to immature to see that you are genuinely a very good player.

COD is full of immature 12 year olds who have had their mothers buy the games for them because they are to young.

COD is meant to be a mature arcade shooter which is why it is rated 16+.  

ghamorra

For the first month I had a K/D in the high 2's to low 3's depending on how the night went. I got a lot of people who complained but I would just mute them. After a while I started messing around and it dropped a good bit so I don't have the issues I did before. I will say that anyone I come across with a K/D above a 2.5 has always been a member of a 6 man group who spawnkills or someone who got their stats from a magical gene and isn't really as good as their stats make them out to be.

gotsomestars

Or there preferred game mode is infected. I'm not sure why they made infected stats count, but oh well.

ghamorra

Hence the trashed W/L

Agree with you there. It would be better if maybe there was a separate K/D for each game as whilst playing Infected my 43 Win Streak really helps my W/L ratio. But when all people do is hide in the snipe area on Ignition and call in a KEM, of course that's going to boost your K/D but it doesn't really apple to TDM or KC etc.

I guess what would be ideal is separate K/Ds and W/Ls (does anyone actually care about W/L ratio?) and the chance to decide if you want it to be public or not.

nuttin2say

IAmJacksImage wrote:

I guess what would be ideal is separate K/Ds and W/Ls (does anyone actually care about W/L ratio?) and the chance to decide if you want it to be public or not.

Wow. You're brave for asking that question in the forums.

Why? O.o
                                          Or do people actually care?

Jl1223_X

If you make it an effort to keep it high? Yes. I had a friend who had an S&D record of around 200 win streak. We trolled him, fed the other team.....man.......

In any case, if people put an effort into their own W/L, chances are they're gonna care. If people don't, though, (usually the solo's) then they probably also know that W/L pretty much needs a good team backing, because no matter how good you are your teammates have a chance of being utterly retarded and thus W/L isn't exactly an accurate stat to judge by.

Well I know there are those who care about their W/L. I just mean all I ever hear is "Damn! That's gonna ruin my K/D so bad" but I never hear anybody worry about their W/L.

You are right in that you need a decent team and being a good player alone isn't enough for your W/L, maybe that's why people aren't worried about it?

Except when I used to see someone with a decent W/L I would want them on my team, until I realised just how much Infected efts up those stats.

nuttin2say

People hear/see what they want to hear/see. I didn't mention wlr because this was a kdr conversation. But, now that you mention it, for all my solo play ... my wlr in every title is over 0.500. In other words, it is "positive." To be more succinct in how I play COD, the following is what I aim to accomplish every match and in this order:

1 - Win

2 - more kills than deaths

2A - more caps, tags, flags, plants, than the other team

3 - completion of overall challenges

What some people fail to comprehend is the strategy of minimizing your loss. If the win looks impossible, then you minimize the loss by making # 2 your priority. If it looks like # 1 and # 2 are going to be impossible, then you minimize the loss by focusing upon # 3.

There are two reasons I like to focus upon challenges, even though that is not my first priority. One reason is that ... I can. I am an above average player, I know I am, and I enter each match with that self-confidence. As a result, I don't have to tremble over whether or not I'm going to win or whether or not I'll get more kills than deaths. The second reason I like to focus upon challenges is because doing so forces myself to learn other aspects of the game. I get to know the limitations of things I would otherwise not use. That, in turn, lets me know how to deal with opponents that use whatever perk or weapon, etc. That, in turn, makes me better and better at the game, giving me the confidence to enter the game and not worry whether or not I'm going to win or land more kills, caps, etc than the other team.

That's why I play the way I play. It works. It's not always easy, I'll grant that. But it is entertaining, that's for sure.

Shadowelite555

Well, the first thing I think to myself is "Damn, its going to be a tough game". But I also like the challenge if people are very competitive; better than always having people who have no idea what they are doing. When I see a k/d of 2+, I dont think hacker, or cheater, or camper. I have a k/d of 1.9, so every once in a while I get called a try hard. But no big deal for me. The internet is such an awful place when it comes to people talking trash. I dont back out either. People back out just because they think they are going to lose. Especially in SnR/SnD. Way too many people quite because they died once by someone they know has a better k/d than them.

gypsyfrogking

when i see someone with a high kd i just think they have played a lot of cod before ghosts so they have started playing this game with a lot more gun skill and have better reaction time than most, and have the a better knowledge of moving around the map without getting shot instead of running gun-ho into a sniper scope

xoMrSLAVEox

I have exactly same problem, my kd is 4.59 but dont care what others are talking and if they msg me i file complaint them first and then block them or i mute them and continue slaughterfest

My K/D is 0.975 right now and I feel I can 'take on' anyone 0.8 or lower quite easily (if we're generalising)

When I see someone above 2 I normally think "They're good, hope they're on my side!" I never assume they must be a camper or a hacker because I've watched people play and I know people are just good. And those who do make these accusations are normally just jealous and don't understand how you could be so good because they already think they're the best.

In other words, those players don't matter. I understand your frustration and maybe it would be nice to choose whether to show your K/D or not, but for now I would just take it as a compliment.

The only person I've ever doubted is someone with a 9.2 K/D but even then I wouldn't accuse them of cheating or anything because it's not impossible. I definitely wouldn't accuse them without even talking to them!

The fact you aren't even on mic emphasises the fact that they are just scared.

Well done on the 3.5. Just ignore them.

nuttin2say

The saddest part of all is that regardless of what your kdr might be, someone always has a problem with it. If it is "too low" compared to some random number, then you suck. If it is "too high" compared to some random number, you cheated.

DocChoi

Basically from reading the posts and also from what I see online... anything from 1 to 2 is "acceptable".

It's not too high where people will call you out for hacks, cheats, camping

It's not too low where people will call you for being a scrub, noob etc.

Hating on someone with a high k/d is similar to some guy at their high school reunion hating on a CEO classmate who drives a Ferrari, while they work at McDonald's driving a '89 Toyota Tercel. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Doctorpsylus

My KD sucks but i play DOM &DZ where kills are secondary,points get you on to in DZ not kills you can go 1 for 20 n still win the game & be top of leaderboard.kd is for show

nicedrewishfela

As a long time player of this game, my experience has been that folks who have K/Ds that ridiculously high have either done so through nefarious means, unsporting tactics, or through not challenging themselves enough.

I am not saying you fall into any of these, I am not making any judgments on you personally as a player. And in game I don't harass anyone. If they can beat me fair and square, more power to them.

But you can't blame us for being jaded. I've played with a lot of good, maybe even great players, and never seen them consistently complete games with 3 or 4 K/Ds, at least enough for that to be their overall K/D. I've had matches where I've done that, and far beyond.... but I can't imagine doing it every match. I'd have to question if I was challenging myself enough if that were the case. My K/D is currently around 1.48, which I am just fine with. I win more than I lose. I don't back out of matches to preserve it. I use a variety of weapons. I rarely use lethal kill streaks unless I can control it directly. I don't use equipment to get kills except the kind I have to throw and aim myself.

If you are legit with that K/D and have done the things I mentioned, then more power to you. And I don't condone anyone harassing anybody in game for any reason. But I think you need to see it from the perspective of others to understand their hesitation in  playing someone with an out of the ordinary K/D. You can understand where the trepidation and doubt creeps in.

DocChoi

What are unsporting tactics? I understand using mods and exploiting glitches are clearly wrong. Grey zone is stuff like spawn trapping or spawn killing... is this what you meant?

Honestly, if a player chooses to only use the mtar-x as long as they don't cheat with wall hacks and aimbot, I don't really think their k/d is illegitimate. To add to your point with non-controllable streaks. The only ones are dog, IMS and battle hind. Those are all pretty unpredictable streaks and I actually find I net more kills with a Helo Pilot or Loki.

I try to give players the benefit of the doubt. Luckily I'm on the PS4 where it's pretty much cheater free and all the 3-4 k/d guys I run into are that good.

DocChoi

forgot about vulture, but that thing is a garbage streak

nicedrewishfela

It is tough to really pin down what unsporting is.. so just will give my opinion. I am sure others will differ.

To me, it would include spawn killing (like you I feel trapping is a grey area so don't include it), ignoring objectives and the needs of the team in order to maintain a high K/D (Corner camping or kill whoring in Objective modes), and most of all Dashboarding when they have a bad game.

For example... there was a guy who was on here for a while who always bragged about how he camped. I played with him once or twice, and he wasn't exaggerating. I checked stats one day in BO2, and sure enough he had a 4.0 K/D. But his W/L was under 27%. I was stunned, so checked his mode stats. He had something like 25000 kills in Domination but had less than 10 Captures. Same in KC, had a ridiculous amount of kills and only like 100 tags. It is hard to convince me that his K/D means anything in that situation.

And, like you said, players can use one weapon if they choose, it doesn't make their K/D illegitimate... but it doesn't mean I have to respect them as a player. If I used the Remington or Honey Badger every single match in Ghosts... I am sure my K/D would be higher. But I'd be bored out of my mind and I'd know I hadn't challenged myself enough.

Recently had a player attack me on the BO2 Forums saying that because of my stats I didn't have the right to an opinion on the game. He bragged about having more kills than me in less time played and called me "trash". Yes... my K/D was a little lower (Highest I had ever had on a CoD game so I didn't care), but on closer examination, he had 45000 total kills, and over 36 or 37,000 of those kills (More than 70%) were with the FAL OSW(yep,the only weapon banned in MLG play), while my kills were pretty evenly distributed over a large number of guns. I could have cared less about his stats, and as for mine I only keep up with them to measure my own success. But for him to attack me on my stats while living in a Glass House himself I just found embarrassing for him.

DocChoi

Agreed with your post. The Doom Clan spawn killing I would say is frowned upon. Rushing a spawn and trapping a team momentarily is "okay" depending on who you talk to. Strictly kill whoring in Domination to me is pretty stupid as you always end up losing (Now the slayers are going to counter with their reasons on why they do it). 40 kills in Domination is easier than 40 kills in TDM IMO. Always perplexed at watching Youtube videos of players getting 60+ kills in domination while completely ignoring the objective and usually kids comment on how awesome that is. Then they try to replicate it to pad a very misleading stat just for show.

Dashboarding can get ridiculous especially when players do it EVERY single game (like seriously, just take the odd negative game and work your way back up). I recall one player I keep running into on PS4, ALWAYS dashboards when we get matched up, has a 4 something k/d with a 13 w/l and every match dashboards when he dies a few times. Goes 3 and 5, dashboards. Goes 4 and 2, dashboards. To this day, whenever I see that player, I have never seen him finish one match. So I can see what you mean in that as those players likely rarely have streaks of solid gameplay.

I would say I'm a pretty "boring" player in the sense I'm mainly an AR and SMG user. But that's my style and if someone calls me out for not sniping, so be it as I will admit I'm terrible with a sniper rifle and only use one if I pick it up on a streak. Pretty sad when I can snipe better with a honey badger cross map than with a sniper rifle. Anyway, good players never need to boast. The ones that do are probably in need of some sort of validation to mask their insecurity.

WilliamCL57

The problem with challenging myself comes more from the terrible matchmaking that is call of duty. However, most of the hate I get it actually from other good players at 1.5 or higher k/ds. I even just got a message from someone calling me a f***ot teenager and say they were going to reset my stats >.>. What did I do? I simply outgunned him till he rage quit. If you are running around with an AR and no ready up or quickdraw, of course and smg with ready up is going to drop you 99% of the time in a close range gunfight.

Another case was a guy a day or two ago that called me a camper the second he entered the lobby and said "I know where he'll be sitting on this map"... it was the top part of the Ruins map. Turns out he tried camping up there the ENTIRE match. Every time I killed him I heard some different expletive making callouts to his team that the "camper is up top". Then because I finished that match with over 10 deaths, but 30+ kills, I still got hate from the same guy screaming "No so fucking good now are you"..  even though he has a 2.7 overall and he finished a couple kills above positive in the same game.

My point being that people judge others way too harshly based on their k/d. Be it high or even low. Which is why I wish I could make my stats private or public at my own discretion. At least overall stats. I have a YT channel that I regularly record great games for back to back to back. Getting consistently good games in different lobbies. It's because I don't have some kind of status like being a pro player that my skill is immediately doubted and then attacked in various ways.

Could you imagine the hate I'd get in Titanfall if people could see this? An 8.7 vs other players.

imgur: the simple image sharer

nicedrewishfela

Honestly, most of those who post on here with high K/Ds like yours end up bragging, but I appreciate your humility quite a bit. It is refreshing, and I congratulate you on your accomplishments. I have been enjoying a level of success on this game myself and I know how exhilirating it can be to put together a massive game, though I don't do it as consistently or as often as I would like.

I would say that you know who you are, and you know the truth about your own stats. Personally, I feel stats for me are a measuring stick of MY progress, not anyone elses'. I keep an eye on my stats to see where my strengths and weaknesses are and the areas I need to improve in. But I rarely look at the stats of others in any kind of comprehensive way. I will usually check in Lobby Leaderboards to see what my opponents look like and where I stand, but I would never say anything to anyone about their stats.

I let my game play do the talking. If they beat me, well then.. they beat me. But on many occasions I have been able to shut the talkers up with a well played round (although they still talk nonsense, they start looking more and more like a joke to the others in the lobby). I've beaten guys with much higher K/Ds, and I've lost to guys with lower K/Ds.

While, as I stated, I can understand people's trepidation upon seeing your stats, I tend to agree with you that it can cause a bias one way or the other. I've played with some decent players with lousy K/D because they let their kids or significant other play.. or just like to mess about with weird setups and have fun without worrying about it. I've been guilty of getting out of lobbies in which there are players with unusually high K/Ds as well.

I am not sure what the solution is. I think stats are valuable to have in the game as it gives you a baseline for your performance and a way of comparing with others. But at the same time it has led to a lot of selfishness, harassment, and other reprehensible behavior.

I think the larger issue is with the players who are behaving in the way you describe. Rational folks wouldn't act that way, and while they may quietly leave the lobby to avoid playing you, they wouldn't hurl accusations at you. My best advice for you would be to just keep doing what you are doing. Rise above, don't sink to their level, and just have fun.

ItsTrue13

look at all these degens

greyfryer67

Maybe some fortune cookie philosophy is called for here......

61697-People-Fear-What-They-Dont-Understand.jpg

nuttin2say

Between MW and Ghosts my kdr ranges from a low of 1.13 (WaW) to a high of 2.04 (MW3) and I'm here to tell you that every kdr I have had in every game was both too low for someone and too high for someone else. I have players (whom I do not even bother responding to) ask me how I feel about my 1.9 kdr in Ghosts when a 0.90 kdr in a lobby gets more kills and a higher kdr in a match. Well, here's how I actually feel - First of all, I'm glad they knew what worked for them in that match and I hope they use that lesson toward improving in future maps. Second, other than that I really don't even think about it.

The reality is that we all have strengths and weaknesses. The smart thing to do is to play toward those strengths and weaknesses and if you do that then you'll perform your best.

When I play Extinction solo, I don't really do that well. In fact, i just flat out suck. But when I team up with my bro, we do so well that we can usually carry the worst of players. My point here carries over into Ghosts mp. I'm not at all unique. There are a lot of crap talkers that run only in parties and they do really well when they do that. Smart gaming. But then they start talking smack as if they are independently that good. It is a delusional rationale, in my opinion.

I'm like drew - I play for the challenge, specifically the mental challenge of trying to figure which pieces of the puzzle go together the best. To me, kdr and wlr are simply tools that help me quantify success in that effort. KDR, WLR, tags collected, caps, etc ... none of its is for bragging rights. Its just a tool toward checking myself and players that want to use it as a bragging right arent worth worrying about.

jnikoley

My assumption about players with a high k.d. as that would be that they specialize in one game mode, most likely TDM, or DM.

If that applies to you, and you want to lower your k.d., I would suggest playing objective modes, and playing the objectives.  You will not have as many high k/d games, although you will often have the highest score, e.g. play as a "runner" in Blitz.  Also playing in a clan during clan wars will force you to play in modes that you might not otherwise bother with.  I personally find that during the wars, especially when diamond division is ongoing, the level of online competition is much higher.

That said, I don't pay attention to and don't care about other players k.d.'s.  It doesn't tell the whole story, and is not a complete measure of skill. I regularly beat up on higher k.d. players, and I have only a 1 k.d.

Jl1223_X

K/D is inaccurate, useless to compare from a skill based perspective, but it is also the ONLY skill-based statistic out there.

Now, another point is that chances are, there's going to be hostility. These other players are against you, and there's a natural hostility there. How do you think they feel if they know that you are absolutely going to poop on them? The hostility is practically gonna make you look like the most annoying obstacle, ever - you're going to make them lose, you're going to kill them a lot, the game is literally not going to be fun for them. And for making it not fun, they are going to HATE you for it, and that is why they say these words.

Obviously that isn't the only thing that can cause such hostility. A good player could shout at a bad player because said bad player is making it not fun for the good player. A bad player could shout at a good player for the same. In the end, the situation is that somebody's fun is getting ruined because of somebody else, and they REALLY don't want to suck it up, because doing so is paramount to doing absolutely nothing.

Personally, I have a 1.6 k/d or so, and while I know it doesn't mean anything, I still strive to make it better because it's the only stat out there. If a guy with a 2> and 3> k/d was on my team, I'd be happy. On the other team? I'd do anything I can to kill the guy because I know that although the ratio is separated by practically a single digit or more, the playing field is in truth very even and I can definitely kill you a bunch. These other people? They probably lost hope that the playing field is even, and all they can do is die - or use their mics.

What's my instinct? Leave the lobby ... unless you are on my team. It's not because I think you are a camper or hacker though. That's awesome for you! Congrats on having such an awesome K/D!

aquaman43

WilliamCL57 wrote:

THIS THREAD HAS A POINT:

When you see someone with a >3 or even >2 k/d, what is your first instinct about them?

My first thought is I want to see if they are that good. I like playing against good players, it makes me better. The only problem I have is when someone with a high K/D doesn't die when shot. I played against a player with a 13.57 K/D. He wasn't good, he just didn't die. IEDs didn't stop him, grenades, rocket launchers, sniper shots to the noodle, nothing stopped him. It usually took two to three players concentrating fire on him to take him out. He finished the match with something like 35-2. I've played against 3+ K/D players that are also hard to kill. It's like they have ICU+ but it doesn't show up on the hit markers. But that is the exception, most players with 2+ K/D are just good. They know the maps, they know where to be ADS, and they are comfortable in their load out.

I like completing challenges. And I'm an objective player. I try to complete the challenges for my guns, for the perks, and all the other challenges. It gives me a goal to shoot at. But sometimes I grab my favorite load out and wage war. I'm not that worried about my K/D, I want to complete challenges.

If I see a high KD I just think this players better than me and I want him on my team. Then I don't. The End

KomradeAirik

I also wish we could hide our kd, I completely agree with you. Mine is around a 3.1 at the moment and last night I had a party of 5 players including myself, all 5 of us were prestige 9-10 and all of us had a kd over 3. I don't think I'm amazing or anything and I get beat plenty of times but win or lose I just enjoy playing the game. The problem is that because we're all just about max prestige and all had a 3+ kd we could hardly find a game. We would finally get a game after 5 or 10 minutes and they would quit pretty fast after it started. We didn't spawn trap or anything just running around killing but people won't even give it a chance because they see our stats which really don't mean much. We were playing domination so it's not like having a high kd means we're going to win anyways.