35 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2014 2:55 PM by Harney05 RSS

XBOX ONE Might still not run at 1080p

matuzz

Eurogamer's analysis on the new reveal trailer suggests that Xbox One is not running at 1080p resolution.

Resolution boosted for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on Xbox One • Eurogamer.net

• Re: XBOX ONE Might still not run at 1080p
          sqitso

No one but amateurs play COD at 1080p anyway. All Pros use 720p to get 60fps even on 360. They also almost all use 720p so their El Gatos can capture at 60fps. No one gives a crap about 1080p. Sony just likes having something to brag about.

To be honest I don't think we will see a COD running at 1080p 60fps for some time on the xbox one, I just hope they put a stable 60 fps over a higher resolution for both consoles and in all honesty I don't see much difference between 720p and 1080p let alone 900p and 1080p.

WilliamCL57

The ignorance and lack of education in this thread is too dam high. I'm not even going to take the time to point out all of the problems... but just shut up about something none of you understand. You see a number and judge it harshly based on that without realizing the insignificance of it. I'll simplify it with 2 points.

1: Upscaling to 1080p still provides better than native 720p/900p quality without needing as much overhead as processing raw native resolution. Therefore smoother and less framerate lag. (ps4 still maintains a lower average framerate in ghosts to this day)

If you set your console to 720p, you'll notice a decline in quality in ghosts. Why is that if the native res is already 720? Because upscaling is magic and you should just believe in it.

2: Here's a chart detailing when 20/20 vision can even notice a difference between 480p all the way to 4k. Think of a microscope. You get closer(zoom in), you can discern something smaller(like a pixel) so higher resolutions, IE More pixels that are smaller are needed to prevent you from discerning individual ones.

Chart: 1080P Does Matter - CarltonBale.com

That does not take into account upscaling to 1080p so if you are in the "start to become noticeable" range, you will most likely not see a single difference since you are still viewing a 1080 image. What's more important is lighting/contrast and the detail of each individual pixel as well as the ppi of the monitor/tv you are playing on.

PUR4IDO

So in essence Native 1080P is better than Native 720P, etc .. Pretty known fact.

WilliamCL57

Without a doubt IF the framerate can remain unaffected. I don't think either console should be native 1080p(atleast not cod). Look at the framerate problems that the ps4 has. It still remains to be a problem when explosives are going off or a lot of people are in relatively close proximity. Hopefully since they could push the xbox one to 900p, they can apply the same memory saving practices to ps4 to prevent those framrate issues. I'd prefer a smooth gaming experience to be the priority.

PUR4IDO

I have played both current gen versions of Ghosts and the PS4 version is visually superior to the XB1, but you are correct about the framerate drop. It's noticeable and it happens OFTEN on the PS4.

But Let's keep in mind that Ghosts is really last gen title that was made to work on the current gen platforms. Given that they have been working on this game for 3 years and have focused only on the current gen platform, this game will run smooth on both consoles. That's just me being optimistic.

I will give the devs the benefit on the 1st wave of games of each console, since most were probably rushed to the market.

WilliamCL57

Ghosts was actually developed on Next gen consoles as the lead platform.

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/05/30/next-gen-will-be-lead-platform-for-ghosts -current-gen-will-be-second/

I know Teanah said they were working both at the same time, but I take the word of the Production VP over a CM.

I barely noticed the difference myself and I sit about 3 feet away from a 24inch monitor. So if I have to look for the difference to be able to see it with 720vs1080 at that range, then 900vs1080 will be even better of course.

I'm confident X1 will get to 1080p eventually, but I want framerate prioritized. Look at the graphics of halo 3(640p) vs halo4(720p). Halo 3 they were trying their hardest to get the best visuals and yet 5 years later they made something that looked better multiple times over. With a new console and new architecture/hardware, they need to develop new techniques for compressing and transferring data.

One thing that really kind of irritates me is that both MS and Sony spent less to build these next gen consoles than last gen consoles. 360 cost over $500 to build and ps3 cost over $800 to build.  Both the xbox one and ps4 cost less than $400 to build. (kinect is about $75 manufacture cost). Even the generation before that was similar. Manufacture cost higher than sell point. Make money back on games. Now with dlc and micro transactions out the ass, games are bringing in even more money than before and gaming culture continues to expand every year.

WHY COULD BOTH COMPANIES NOT STRETCH EVEN $50 MORE TO GIVE US A GPU CAPABLE OF 1080p 60fps.... Both struggling out of the gate is not good for either life span. We are in the 8th Generation of Consoles right now, during the 6th and 7th, at release time, they were better than PC's for a time. This time, PC's are exceeding them by over 2x Graphical power at launch...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-consoles-gpu-graphics-power,24390.html

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent lol. My overall main point is that both consoles screwed themselves a bit.

Just found more info in regards to xbox graphics: They made a good choice recently announcing a kinect free version and said that resources will be returning to developers to be used in games. He mentions that 10% of the X1 GPU is actually reserved for kinect functions only.

PUR4IDO

WilliamCL57 wrote:

Ghosts was actually developed on Next gen consoles as the lead platform.

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/05/30/next-gen-will-be-lead-platform-for-ghosts -current-gen-will-be-second/

I know Teanah said they were working both at the same time, but I take the word of the Production VP over a CM.

I barely noticed the difference myself and I sit about 3 feet away from a 24inch monitor. So if I have to look for the difference to be able to see it with 720vs1080 at that range, then 900vs1080 will be even better of course.

I'm confident X1 will get to 1080p eventually, but I want framerate prioritized. Look at the graphics of halo 3(640p) vs halo4(720p). Halo 3 they were trying their hardest to get the best visuals and yet 5 years later they made something that looked better multiple times over. With a new console and new architecture/hardware, they need to develop new techniques for compressing and transferring data.

One thing that really kind of irritates me is that both MS and Sony spent less to build these next gen consoles than last gen consoles. 360 cost over $500 to build and ps3 cost over $800 to build.  Both the xbox one and ps4 cost less than $400 to build. (kinect is about $75 manufacture cost). Even the generation before that was similar. Manufacture cost higher than sell point. Make money back on games. Now with dlc and micro transactions out the ass, games are bringing in even more money than before and gaming culture continues to expand every year.

WHY COULD BOTH COMPANIES NOT STRETCH EVEN $50 MORE TO GIVE US A GPU CAPABLE OF 1080p 60fps.... Both struggling out of the gate is not good for either life span. We are in the 8th Generation of Consoles right now, during the 6th and 7th, at release time, they were better than PC's for a time. This time, PC's are exceeding them by over 2x Graphical power at launch...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-consoles-gpu-graphics-power,24390.html

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent lol. My overall main point is that both consoles screwed themselves a bit.

Just found more info in regards to xbox graphics: They made a good choice recently announcing a kinect free version and said that resources will be returning to developers to be used in games. He mentions that 10% of the X1 GPU is actually reserved for kinect functions only.

Companies lie dude. CODAW will be their 1st true next gen COD.

As for the consoles, keep in mind that the 360/PS3 were ahead of the curve when they launched. The current gen consoles are actually behind the curve. This gen is struggling to run games currently running on outdated tech. What happens in 2-3 years when devs find new ways to create games. These consoles might not be able to run those games. It sucks for us console users, but what do you expect when your paying $399 & $499. You can't expect much to be honest.

WilliamCL57

Yea they are behind the curve so severely because they opted to manufacture under the sell point. Even a $50 more expensive gpu would have made a massive difference. If the x1 simply opted for 64MB instead of 32MB eSram, they would be in the clear for 1080p 60fps. But no, they both made mistakes that makes it harder on developers and forces work arounds.

The one thing xbox fans can hope for is that the 10% Gpu being given back to developers from the removal of kinect and the Dx12 update will be enough to allow 1080p native on X1. MS lead engineer says it should be, but they made the mistake in the first place...   Dx12 is the most hopeful because it effectively doubles the power of the GPU. No clue when that will be ready though.

sqitso

Blah Blah 1080p is better! Blah Blah... 1080p is a resoultion.. that is all. Like all resolutions, it doesn't mean sh!t if you don't have something that can display it worth a damn. HZ rates, fill rates and PPI are what is important. I keep seeing all these videos of numb nut kids screaming 1080P!!! and in the background they are playing the game on a 20 year old square TV. Can 720p be better than 1080p? Absolutely.. if you have a very high quality plasma or lcd television running 720p at a much higher pixel density, then it can absolutely smoke a crappy projection TV and it's horrible ass 40hz 1080p. The majority of people who own consoles don't have TVs worth a crap, and will never see the difference. Yes, the majority.. that does not mean anyone who is bothering to read in this forum. The majority is the 7 billion people on the planet that barely know how to program their DVRs and still have first gen iPhones because they don't know a new one came out.

WilliamCL57

A lot of televisions and monitors sold as 1080p have a ppi to match it. IE No overlapping pixels. On a screen where there is overlap, it degrades quality even more than the lack of additional pixels. However if you have a 720p tv even with a high ppi, then the reduced quality of the 1080 image has less distortion. Like explaining to a 5 year old. Stretch bad, Shrink ok, Fits good.

1080p > 720p. No way to dispute the higher quality, it's basic math. When it comes to gaming though, if you can keep the framerate equivalent while upgrading, then that's great, but fluid place should take priority. Look at the ps4 1080 problems. Their forums in ghosts has a lot of complaints about it.

Harney05

The framerate problem is a minimal problem. I have Ghosts on PS4 and I barely experience any framerate issues at all, in fact, the PS4 while not completely 1080p on BF4 averages framerate of 52 just like the One at 720p so it really is a developer issue rather than a console issue.

WilliamCL57

Bf4 is not 1080p native on the ps4 >.> It's 900p. Plus the Bf4 problems are another issue entirely spanning every platform including pc. One game has nothing to do with the other.

Framerate drops continues to be a problem. Go to the ps4 subforum in ghosts, and on the front page there is always a complaint that is about framerate and that game not playing smooth. At least 1, but usually multiple. It's not minimal.

Harney05

I said I knew BF4 is not native 1080p on PS4. The BF4 graphics are also way more superior than Ghosts, and makes it look cartoony, funny you said that.

Framerate drops aren't a problem at all, they're minimal, they don't drop often, they drop once in every 10 games for a 3-5 seconds then come back to normal, I have a PS4, also there are more players on PS4 than on XB1.

Harney05

Lol your lack of research is quite laughable. It's impossible to run a PS4 without an HDTV. In fact, everyone who has a PS4 must have an HDTV in order for it to operate. 1080P LED TVs around 20-40 inches go for only $150-500 range from what I can remember, only a month or two of working at McDonalds. You're just mad that PS4 has shown a resolution superiority over the Xbone and MS and have to go through denial and lack of acceptance that  people really are playing on higher resolution TVs.

sqitso

Wow you actually took the time to write something without even thinking about it... and you say I didn't research? How f*cking stupid are you? "That's a rhetorical question by the way because it is obvious". Every single person on this forum besides you knows what an HDMI to AV converter is. They would because when the world went to high def the government and cable companies GAVE millions of them away so everyone could use their older TVs with the newer HDMI digital cable boxes. Not to mention the thousands of other reasons to spend 10 bucks to convert HDMI to AV. My God man. The fact that you responded with such vigor like a real man.. but failed so miserably is more than laughable.. It even gave me an erection. Good job.

jasiorr

matuzz wrote:

Eurogamer's analysis on the new reveal trailer suggests that Xbox One is not running at 1080p resolution.

Resolution boosted for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on Xbox One • Eurogamer.net

that was first question !

This gue how many p can You send to PC capsuring it ...

Fact is

X1 have no chance to play on 1080p (only converted)

PS4 Yes

PUR4IDO

I'm going to wait till the final product is out. What's the point of having a game run at 1080P, when the frame rate drop, makes it unplayable at times. If CODAW is truly using a new engine, I can see some of those frame rate issues not being a factor.

WilliamCL57

No chance at 1080p? Enlighten us with that bold statement. Forza 5 runs 1080p Native on Xbox One already.

Ps4 watch dogs downgraded to 900p and Bf4 900p as well. Ghosts 1080p on Ps4 has framerate problems(go check sub forum, always a complaint on the front page about it)

Cod on Xbox One WILL hit 1080p.. It's a matter of time and software advancements improving compression as well as performance upgrades through software.. If you don't understand that, then you have no place in speculating on technology.

DirectX12 will be out at the end of 2015. In simple terms Dx11 uses 1 core, Dx12 will use all 8. The PS4 Doesn't have as much room for such high API improvements. Although I must clarify, I don't think Dx12 will double the GPU power that some claim it will. I do believe it will be enough to reach the 1080p threshold however.

Neither console will be exceeding that resolution in their lifespan.

Also, I'm a fan of both. I just dislike when people post an opinion as fact with zero evidence and zero education in a field related to the discussion.

Harney05

Also this proves your fanboyism and lack of education, you obviously follow the Xbox 1 exclusively because if you didn't then you wouldn't say the PS4 is locked down to where it is right now and doesn't have more room for improvements. There is a rumor that the PS4 will indeed receive performance boosts from Team ICE in GPGPU rendering which will make the difference in bigger between the two consoles, this is coming from a guy who was already confirmed to be saying the true rumors about both consoles in the past, I won't be providing any info just google it yourself, if you continue to deny it is because you're an obvious fanboy.

The fact that you keep mentioning Ghosts on PS4 has framerate problems because of people complaining on forums (which out of all the people that have the game, make up less than 3% of community) shows that you don't even own a PS4 yourself. You're basing your statement off an isolated issue. You are also implying that the problem must be that PS4 is running the game at 1080p therefore can't handle the framerate, there are plenty other games on PS4 that are 1080p and don't have this framerate issue, while on XB1 it's a lower resolution.

sqitso

A lot of people keep making a comparison between PC being able to do 1080p for years and the consoles struggling at it. That is short sited, when looking at the "majority" of PC owners. It is a fact, yes I can back that up. The "majority" of PC owners do not have systems capable of running high end games at 1080p/60fps with high settings. Now that notebooks are becoming more and more prevalent and only hardcore gamers are upgrading video cards and such. It was established a long time ago that hardcore gamers are the minority in the PC world. So compared to the average PC bought off the shelf over the past couple of years, these consoles still perform graphically better. It's still not really an excuse when at least for the first year of release they should have at least got the 1080p/60fps thing right. In a couple of years, those PCs that can beat the consoles on res and framerate will still beat them and won't need to be upgraded, or if they are upgraded "most likely" because of DX12.. the consoles will just fall further and further behind.

However.. on that note a lot of these issues are due to optimization. There are two types of optimization for games that developers use. Clean and Sloppy. Clean optimization happens from companies like Id software. They speed a ton of time to make sure none of your processors waste time crunching numbers. Those are the games you see that even run well on older hardware. Then you have the sloppy coders like Crytec. These are the guys that don't waste time on optimizing, and rely on hardware to bully it's way through sloppy code. The way they see it. If you want to see a Cry game in all it's glory you need to upgrade. The sloppy coders are the ones who set the standard for high end hardware, as you need new hardware to use it.

The console developers really need to crack down on optimizing code, or we will just keep getting crap like the port of FC3 on 360.

Pr0K1LLA

who gives a ****. More worried about multiplayer quality than it being in 1080p.