48 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2014 1:29 AM by JesusHchrist RSS

Soooooooooo Ghost has been very Successful.....

Izjar11

COD,

This is awkward (for the haters) but apparently Ghost has been incredibly succesful on both the X1 and PS4. This is shocking to me that the "The rumors of Call of Duty’s death may have been exaggerated". Noooooooooo who would exagerate here?

According to David Thier he states "The most recent installment, Call of Duty: Ghosts, failed to produce the annual “biggest entertainment launch in history” headline, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t still a major cash cow for publisher Activision and the most powerful force in AAA console gaming. On a recent investor’s call, the company announced that Ghosts is the best-selling game on both Sony's PS4 and Microsoft's MSFT -0.73%Xbox One, eclipsing even the much-hyped exclusives Titanfall and inFAMOUS: Second Son."

Interesting information, that T-Fall (has lost ground so fast) that inFamous: Second son has as well, though some posted (many times) on these vary same forums that the game should be "dead" or is "dying".

Perhaps the game which is now in its maturity phase is peaking interest because it had a steeper learning curve than what many expected, or hoped. Perhaps, simply the dead never go away.........BUAHHH.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/05/07/call-of-duty-ghosts-is-the-bes t-selling-game-on-xbox-one-and-ps4/

So this was awkard for me to write, cause well, you know......haters love to hate.

awkward animated GIF

• Re: Soooooooooo Ghost has been very Successful.....
          nicedrewishfela

Personally think the game was quite good, in spite of some issues.

I think it just hit during a period of CoD Burn Out so it got a bad rap.

The irony? 99% of the haters still bought it and still play it regularly.

gypsyfrogking

ive been playing the game now 4 months and i just never get bored of it, now i cant play any other games, they just dont have the same appeal anymore, i like the fact that we can now customize our characters and the mini dlcs keep the game fresh, i like all the maps both big and small so i can swap styles of play, i think the squads is a brilliant addition, its cool to see your team running about in the outfits and using the loadouts that ive chosen, i think this games gonna be going strong for a long long time.

PUR4IDO

This is funny. It's not hard being the best selling game on consoles, w virtually no games. That's like bragging that your best looking guy in the room when you're in a room alone.

COD: Ghosts has sold but it has not meet expectations. The conference call doesn't bother to mention, how many ppl returned or don't play the game anymore. Retention levels are low on all  current gen consoles. The XB1 struggles to get 40k on the weekends. I hear the #'s on the PS4 hover around 40k+. I don't play Ghosts on the PS4, I returned my copy.

If ppl do not play the game, they can't sell DLC which is basically selling two games. To make up for those lost sales, they screw micro-transactions.

Can't forget the Game & DLC Demos, Since when have you seen game & dlc demos, so early in the life cycle of a cod game?

This time around people have spoken w their wallets, which is a good thing. It benefits us the consumer, because they will be forced to make changes to the franchise. Change #1. Having SHG start working on their version of the game, since 2011.

I still play the game, but it tends to be slow & boring at times, which is why a lot of people don't play.

Also, David contributes a lot of gaming articles for Forbes, a lot of them turn out to be.. eh. Shyt, he's not even employed by Forbes.

iHattoriHanzo0

Of course its successful. Did you start to have doubts because of the wishful thinking from the haters on these forums??

tumblr_llv26hpOxg1qbq7sk.gif

gotsomestars

According to a recent machinima vids titanfall sold 700k in the first month and a half. Definitely not a acid killer.

(Although to me personally it puts cod to Shame as far as movement and gameplay goes).

Jl1223_X

Quite a few people probably didn't buy Ghosts in hopes for games such as Titanfall, or waiting for a 'true' next gen CoD like AW while they continued playing BO2 or something. Ghosts isn't exactly a bad game, it just has quite a few issues such as spawning, maps, etc.

Titanfall is a great game, with amazing fluidity in movement and pretty epic combat, but it's pretty stale once you get to know it well, lacks customization, easily has a god gun, and there's generally nothing to do other than the same gameplay with will eventually wear you out.

And the people on that game suuuuck.

Izjar11

I would have bought Titanfall, but its not on the PS4. I grew up on cartoon such as transformers, robotech, voltron all mecha based anime. I look forward to something like this for the 4.

gotsomestars

For me personally gameplay trumps all. And TF players better than any game I've played in the last couple years.

AlteredVista

I have Titanfall for Origins, and I don't agree personally. I think it's highly overrated specifically when it comes to gameplay. It's no quake or halo in terms of skill. Burn cards and AI are not my thing. Also, I have been running over people on PC because I use a controller and for some reason they gave controller's auto-aim while the typical keyboard and mouse player has to do loads more work to compete. Once you know the roofwork and how to move from high point to high point there isn't much challenge. I quit after about 26 hours of gametime, and I played the beta for an additional 18 hours. The game has already been successful, but at this point I want it to fail. I want Respawn to up their game for Titanfall 2. Almost everyone I know quit also and several refer to it as Titanfail.

LVLikeG

I would have expected Ghosts to be the most played on the next gen consoles simply because it is a cod game.  As much hate as it gets, cod is still the fps series that people know and love.  I think a lot of the complaints come from people that are disappointed.  They want to see cod at its best and get upset when they feel the devs made some mistakes.  AW could be a big turning point for the series.  It will be Sledgehammer's opportunity to cement itself in next gen once there is some more competition out there. 

slyd0g55

The AW multiplayer trailer is gonna be the game breaker for most of the haters, they say they won't buy another CoD but the experience from the good times will draw them back in , I never tend to think of CoD in a sales theme , but the FPS genre has a lot of fans out there that play different titles ,maybe loyal maybe follow the crowd either way come November AW will sell , but the hype at the moment has to go towards Destiny, that forum is full of boastful threads.

L30NDR4G0N

to me, i'm no fan of haters...but also no fan of the other extreme, the thing partly going around here...

greyfryer67

Fanbase,  its called a fanbase

Izjar11

L30NDR4G0N wrote:

to me, i'm no fan of haters...but also no fan of the other extreme, the thing partly going around here...

Extreme how so?

L30NDR4G0N

hey m8, my english isn't the best, but i'll give it a try and hope you'll get my point...first of all have to say that there are some good comments made here on this thread, but when i talk about the other extreme i mean people that look to me, like they accept everything as it is without questioning stuff...sure, no one loves haters, but to pick at them isn't the correct way too...thing is to me, i always don't try to be a hater, as i try to see the good stuff on a game i play, but, somehow it's not that i don't understand the haters, as i believe there are simply different types of them...there are the ones that hate to hate...the ones that are never satisfied, the ones you'll never able to please...and among them there are light and heavy versions, ok...but, there are other ones too...i don't consider myself one of those, not going this way, but to hate is also a sign of frustration...problem is, as one mentioned right before, that CoD has no worth mentioning rival what makes devs able to act as they want to...spawn system f.e., people complaining about it since start, but till now nothing done except empty promises...hc mode being totally neglected....cac slots sold for cash...maps re-"imagined"...so many stuff that to me isn't right, but as there's no rivalry IW has no problem to act so, as they control that things...and then you have people hating as a result...sure, not the right way, but as said somehow understand that...sry, have to go now lol, but hope you got my ppoint somehow, the thing i meant :_) have a nice day ,)

Izjar11

L30NDR4G0N wrote:

hey m8, my english isn't the best, but i'll give it a try and hope you'll get my point...first of all have to say that there are some good comments made here on this thread, but when i talk about the other extreme i mean people that look to me, like they accept everything as it is without questioning stuff...sure, no one loves haters, but to pick at them isn't the correct way too...thing is to me,

No worries, good attempt.

I do not pick on haters, you see haters are abundant and they LOVE to band wagon how the game sucks. So someone like me whom megerly defends the game is no where near picking on anyone. Try to find appreciative threads as opposed to hate filled threads, tell me which one fills these threads.

L30NDR4G0N wrote:

but to hate is also a sign of frustration...problem is, as one mentioned right before, that CoD has no worth mentioning rival what makes devs able to act as they want to...spawn system

This is exactly the problem, people do not venture out, try BF4, try Titanfall, try something else other than COD and find a game that is better received. No one forces ANYONE to play the game, frustrating or not the CHOICE to play is on each person. Only the mad decide to return and play, return and play. Use your God Given ability to choose, if you do not like the choices than stop gaming, if you dont want to stop gaming than deal with IT such is life. (nothing vs you just saying).

L30NDR4G0N

hey m8, wasn't talking about you, but however also don't meant to be offensive, as we all know there's truth in most said here...and with the stuff you posted seems to be simply a fact...thing is just, beside what said above, that to me for example, one who loves the game, i also feel hate from time to time when i see the direction this game is going nowadays in case of the things i mentioned above (no fixes at spawn/leaving community uninformed/no care, re-imagined maps, $$$ for cac slots, etc)...but, as it's simply not my style to hate in public, thinking mostly logical and with the knowledge that it's my choice to decide, i nevertheless somehow can feel the frustration of some here...that's all, just wanted to say...but however, hating don't change anything, beside being often also not more than a simple sign of weakness...there's only thing that would bring some good changes every user would benefit from...a worthy competitor^^ but ok^^

however, till now often agreed with you, respect you, so stay the best m8...and as said, was just sayin' ,) not about the topic, but on some comments...but also without any thoughts about being offensive...(not as usually xD) keep it up every1 ,)

nuttin2say

Shame on me for doubting.

Although, I actually did vote for Ghosts before I voted against it. No, seriously.

Didn't COD4 have a slow start, as well?

Izjar11

nuttin2say wrote:

Shame on me for doubting.

Although, I actually did vote for Ghosts before I voted against it. No, seriously.

Didn't COD4 have a slow start, as well?

Im not sure how COD4 did but here is a graph of what has happened to COD in sales terms

nuttin2say

Pretty close to the pattern I expected to see. I found a Total Sales chart that gave sales volume as of February, but that was months ago and does not reflect the news regarding digital sales. Also not clear as to how DLC is affecting the numbers. Are they measuring sales in monetary terms or volume terms? In my own defense, I said in the past that we would have to look at total sales for the year to get a better picture of the health of COD because COD4 built on popularity as the year progressed.

I don't know. Looks like a normal economic model to me. At some point it is destined to lose popularity. Not saying that is the case here, but there's also no reason to believe that COD defies established economics, either.

Izjar11

Exactly,

Yet BO2 was a "fail" to some because it did not topple MW3, yet it had a far superior sales than MW2, WaW and MW.

nuttin2say

BO2 wasn't my fave, but it was popular. But what you posted here made me laugh thinking about all my years in sales. Owners that would complain we sold fewer units this month as opposed to last month totally lost on the fact our total revenue went up and gross profit margin doubled or more.

If you look at initial sales and total sales for COD, I think we can see the likely direction of COD. MW3 was close to present-day weapons etc as the series has been. Even if I hate to admit it, BO2 probably comes in a close second. From there, if you look at the numbers, that's the exact pattern sales follow - the closer to NOW you get in terms of weapons, perks, etc, the higher the sales volume.

Which, in a way, vindicates arguments against a Halo direction. The COD community wants to use easily recognizable weaponry and equipment. The farther you stray from that, the lower the sales.

matuzz

While Call of Duty still sells well it has started to decline after MW3. Black Ops II sold less than MW3 and now Ghosts sold less than Black Ops II. Its left to see if the decline continues, also its good to note that Ghosts has not been fan favorite in the series nor in the eyes of the critics.

BBGUNS

What else beside BF4 is out there for the PS4 shooter. Give a starving man a cracker and he thinks it clavier.

ghamorra

44k online for the PS4 during the slowest of times. I'd say that's pretty successful for a console that was so hard to get a hold of. I haven't been on the PS3 for a couple of months now but I'd wager that across the board Ghosts is barely a step behind other installments of franchise.

JesusHchrist

wow this article is so unbalanced its a shame they didn't mention the number of variant systems (I have ghosts on PS3, PS4 and XB1 and only ever bought 1 copy previously) now available where previous versions didn't have them, the maturity of the franchise early players continue to play and every year new players (some as young as 10/12/13) are added to the numbers of players and subsequently buyers of the game.... The fact is every year the number of players increases, the expansion of the internet to growing and emerging countries bring a wider audience and potential gamers.. what they got right with Ghosts was a clever marketing strategy and added microtransction so anyone can have a new character or fancy camo at their expense...

This does not make Ghosts the best COD ever for us gamers, I don't think it comes close for a number of reasons... but financially it is a winner for the franchise... and thats all that matters aint it !!!!!!