29 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2014 12:20 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

Destructible Environments/Dynamic Weather

_Guest_

We will soon be heading into the 2nd year of next gen consoles,isn't it time we have seen real destructible environments/dynamic weather? I mean not like what we got in ghosts i mean real buildings collapse/bits blown apart etc.The same with weather,have it change during the match or go from day/night.Now i don't know if the old engine can handle these changes for next gen,i am not very good at that kind of thing,so if anyone knows if they might need to make a new engine for next gen consoles for this to work?

• Re: Destructible Environments/Dynamic Weather
          Izjar11

_Guest_ wrote:

We will soon be heading into the 2nd year of next gen consoles,isn't it time we have seen real destructible environments/dynamic weather? I mean not like what we got in ghosts i mean real buildings collapse/bits blown apart etc.The same with weather,have it change during the match or go from day/night.Now i don't know if the old engine can handle these changes for next gen,i am not very good at that kind of thing,so if anyone knows if they might need to make a new engine for next gen consoles for this to work?

I think they will have some dynamic elements for the game, how much of it? well its hard to say, but the way the game is headed its a sure thing.

nicedrewishfela

You been reading my posts? lol

No, I have suggested this numerous times, I think fully dynamic maps with time of day and random weather should be the goal for future titles.

_Guest_

Haha yea its always been suggested and it has always bothered me that it was never properly introduced.Can you imagine 3-4 campers holding a building and you just blow it apart killing or exposing them or on a tropical/mountain map there could be landslides etc.Oh how i would love to be a developer.

BanHaMMer

Are you asking are they making a new engine, then yes.

Dynamic environments exist atm, subtle but they are experimenting with them. For example, on Storm front, The rain during the match changes from a drizzle, to a down pour, then a spring shower and finally back to light rain. This weather pattern happens several times during the match as does the associated sound of the various rain events

rankismet

Destructible environments aren't a big deal to me...

... but I really want dynamic weather and dynamic time of day.

PUR4IDO

I could care less for either, but if they do implement it make it mean something. The "dynamic" elements in Ghosts are a joke. The only real map in Ghosts were a "dynamic" effect screws w the game is Containment. Once the bridge is gone, it changes the way the map plays on that section of the map.  Don't add them just to say we have them. Dynamic elements should affect what you do in the game.

ghamorra

Funny, there are those who support destructible environments but say that my idea of procedurally generated maps would cause lag. I don't see how the two are any different.

I support stuff like this so long as the destructible environment isn't something that's too over the top. Blowing out doors and walls are cool, knocking over signs, walls, and towers is fine so long as it's not guaranteed 5 kills. I'm perfectly ok with things that need switched so long as it's not permanent. There's so many cool things you can do but they can all be overdone.

_Guest_

Yea i don't understand how lag is caused from destroying a building?I never played BF but that has destructible environments,if anyone has played that game is there lag when that happens?NDF AND PUR4IDO have good points though.If i rpg a house it should blow part of it away and not just some different elements in the game that are predetermined like in ghosts.

ghamorra

If all parts of the map are destructible we'll have players focusing on destroying more than playing.

nicedrewishfela

You will always have that element. People complain now about players who run around shooting the sky.

You can't design a game around a few bad apples. You can't stop progress because of a few trolls.

ghamorra

I'm all for it, but imagine if you could completely tear down a house if you shot all the support beams and blew out enough walls. You'd have kids in droves spending all their time trying to do that. It would be too much of a distraction. Instead I'd like to see small things:

crumbling walls that can be completely blown out

support beams that make the section of floor above it fall in

trees you can shoot and knock down

cover that can blown away (crates, flowerpots, sandbags)

rooftops, awnings, overhangs that can be destroyed

Small things like that.

nicedrewishfela

I could live with that.

Maybe need something like a higher level killstreak to take large sections of buildings out.

How about a bunker buster... works similar to a Pred but you can aim it at a building. It will Smash through the roof and take out anyone camping in that building, as well as dealing a significant amount of damage to that building.

ghamorra

Have like a munitions stash in front of a building that only a powerful explosive above a grenade or C4 can take out. If you take it out with an RPG is clears out everything around it.

If there's a lot of explosive based elements my concern then would be the haze, dust, and limited FoV that CoD has really come to use. It's getting to be annoying as it's not always fair. I've noticed that some see it while others can't or it gives Thermal/Tracker users a huge advantage as the dust doesn't always settle quickly limiting the FoV for anyone not using an enhanced sight

_Guest_

They could do something about dust and haze im sure,maybe have it clear after a few seconds.Instead of debris instant killing people they could have it damage half their health

rankismet

ghamorra wrote:

If there's a lot of explosive based elements my concern then would be the haze, dust, and limited FoV that CoD has really come to use. It's getting to be annoying as it's not always fair. I've noticed that some see it while others can't or it gives Thermal/Tracker users a huge advantage as the dust doesn't always settle quickly limiting the FoV for anyone not using an enhanced sight

Welcome to reality...  life isn't fair.

You have access to the same sights/perks as everyone else. Not using them is your issue... not a flaw with the game.

I want there to be more haze, amibient sounds, shifting conditions... things to make the game more immersive and add a new layer to gameplay.

ghamorra

The fairness isn't because of the sights it's the clarity some have. I've noticed that with the halon gas on Sovereign there are some who can see a great deal better than others. There are times where I can see upwards of 30 feet ahead and others where I can't see past 5 feet in front of me. Dust after dynamic elements have similar effects. As of right now I don't see dust being a major game breaking issue (just a slight annoyance) but if they go heavy with this and add a bunch of various elements it could be.

Secondly, I don't mind the use of enhanced sights, what I do mind is when something is so good that it's a gimme. For instance in Ghosts there's little incentive to not use a thermal or track and because of that at least half the weapons I see have them. This isn't a gross exaggeration either. It's fine to use them but it'd be nice if one sight didn't hold so much of an advantage. Their not OP, but that doesn't mean they're not balanced.

nicedrewishfela

I guess I just don't get the issue.

That is part of what would make the game so amazing... the unpredictability. It would add so much to the gameplay, to the strategy. You know you can blow something up and get that kind of cover... do it. Or, defend areas like that to keep it from being destroyed by the enemy.

And as for the enhanced sights... there are counters to that... and isn't that what they were intended for?

vims1990

A couple of years ago, someone brought this up and I wasn't supportive of destructive environments as I was concerned it wouldn't fit well with COD maps given that they are small and not suitable for destructibility.

But now, I think it would be a good idea for COD to experiment with "freeform" destructibility. Not in COD Ghosts where the player is restricted to planting C4 at one or two specific places on a map but where a player can create their own paths on the map. As nicedrewishfela put it, the map won't be the same as it was in the beginning of the match.

In addition, dynamic weather and a day/night cycle is a great idea as well.

thebiindsniper

Dynamic weather, yes.  Destructible environments...meh.  It's more of a Battlefield thing.

Also, why not dynamic times of day?

~RUGGED SAVIOR

nicedrewishfela

I will never get the Destructible Environments are a Battlefield thing argument.

It's a reality thing. It's a gameplay enhancing feature thing. It is a next step thing.

Battlefield stole the idea... from reality.

thebiindsniper

FYI:  This reply was made a while ago.  The link I originally provided caused the post to be automatically moderated

Battlefield is a simulator, which is why destructible environments are more realistic.  The reason why it's also allowed is because many of the buildings serve little purpose when it comes to the change in the game's flow.

Call of Duty is not a simulator--it's an arcade shooter. If players could destroy buildings freely, then the map would become a flat, un-interesting mess and upset the flow of the game.

Consider what was said about Ghosts during an interview with Ruben

"Everyone knows that can happen there, and someone's going to use it intelligently," Rubin told Eurogamer "Some maps have traps you can set, that you can then use as part of your play strategy. So it's not always about destruction. Destruction isn't what everything is, from a dynamic maps sense. It's changing things. It's moving things. In some maps we haven't talked about, it literally is moving objects out of the way, or moving them back into the way. It becomes more of a map strategy rather than just, oh it looks cool to blow up a building."

Rubin said that they didn't want to make everything destructible, because that runs the risk of players leveling everything to the ground and making the map "just flat and not very interesting."

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Shadowelite555

I think the destructible environments and dynamic weather should be done to a degree. The environments shouldn't be destructible to the degree where buildings fall, but to the point where objects break down. For instance, imagine being in a plaza, and you look down and see shiny tiles on the floor, you shoot and the tiles break and splatter accordingly to where you shot them. The same can be applied to walls and such. The dynamic weather thing should be done to the point where it doesn't completely hinder players, but add different colors and graphics the map. Wouldn't it be cool if Stormfront on Ghost if the storm started to really rage and the map got darker as rain pours into pools? It wouldn't hinder players but it would also add to the art of the map.

WKMMS

To me dynamic weather and destructible environments are "icing on the cake" elements.  They can be tasty additions, but if the main body of the cake isn't great then they will be for nothing.  Getting the core cake just right is most important.

Weather yes. Environments no.

_Guest_

Maybe i should have put a poll up,seems some don't like the idea.