19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2014 9:03 PM by iivrruummii RSS

Quick... scoping

OldBrazy

Is a style of play and will be in AW. Cheers.

• Re: Quick... scoping
          ghamorra

Proof?

biron_w

I REALLY hope they've finally removed this broken mechanic and it isn't in this game.

jasiorr

i hope no....QS is plague same as lags...

iivrruummii

The funny thing is that Drift0r did a survey to see how many people actually dislike it and it was far less than the people that like it, so in that aspect it should stay because the majority wins making more customers happy.

ghamorra

I wouldn't exactly trust a YouTube survey

iivrruummii

What can you trust?  Less than 1000 people on the forums and most of them hate it or 15000+ people where you get a variety of people who watch youtube.  I don't know but Drif0r's survey is pretty good evidence to me that quickscoping should stay.

thebiindsniper

That's the curse of the community.  Despite how quickscoping breaks the balance of the sniper, people mainly enjoy it due to the montages.  When Treyarch made it difficult to quickscope in Black Ops 1, everyone hated it.  As a result, they needed to keep the player population high by returning it in MW3 and beyond.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

iivrruummii

thebiindsniper wrote:

That's the curse of the community. 

Your opinion.

Despite how quickscoping breaks the balance of the sniper, people mainly enjoy it due to the montages.

How does it break the balance of the snipers?  People still cannot give me a clear answer on this, and it has been more than 3 years now.  Just because a sniper can kill people in close quarters doesn't make in unbalanced.  And just because people think that snipers should be easy kills and they get killed by them doesn't make them unbalanced either.  As for the people that do montages, it is probably less than 100 people so I don't see how that has anything to do with quickscoping.  Some of the Youtubers don't use the term quickscoping anymore because they see it as a derogatory term these days.  Either way these Youtubers are actually helping out companies by getting their name out there in different ways attracting new players and much much more. 

When the made it difficult to quickscope in Black Ops 1, everyone hated it.  As a result, they needed to keep the player population high by returning it in MW3 and beyond.

In Black Ops they completely ruined snipers making them almost impossible to use period, that is why people didn't like it, and that is why they started fixing it throughout the following months.  Let's not forget they apologized for it back in 2012 at the multiplayer reveal.  In BO2 it was still much harder, because no aim assist, to snipe than in IW games but it didn't stop people from bashing it.  As for the reason why it was in MW3, was because the code hardly changed.  MW3 didn't have the development team that it needed to really do anything.  Look at Ghosts, they "fixed" quickscoping because it had the time and knew that something needed to be changed, but they couldn't change it so much that it made the snipers basically useless in any situation again like in BO.

thebiindsniper

Breaking the balance of a sniper means that it now becomes a one shot kill weapon that is effective at all ranges.  That's like if the shotguns could kill in one shot from across the map.  If shotguns could kill like that, people would hate it, yet the snipers get special treatment for some odd reason.

For a one shot kill weapon like a sniper rifle, it needs to be a high risk weapon to balance out the power.  A shotgun performs great a close range, but the counter balance is its lack of long range effectiveness.  For a sniper, long range combat should be the excelling point, but close range engagements should be the Achilles heel.  Like in Black Ops 1, the gimped ability for it to perform well at close range was a great counter balance.

A lot of other people suggest quickscoping stay because of the poor map design, but I disagree.  Again, it's a high risk weapon.  Therefore, it's up to the player to know where to use it.  If I'm a shotgun user, I'll stick to close range areas because it's common sense.  If I'm a sniper, I'll stick to open areas.

The only way I could possibly see a reason for quickscoping to stay is if shotguns could actually hit targets at a long distance with reduced damage without the pellets disappearing.  However, I can imagine the community's reaction to that proposed idea...oh god, I hear the squeaky voices right now lol

~RUGGED SAVIOR

iivrruummii

Snipers and Shotguns are completely different it is like comparing pistols to rocket launchers.  How would a sniper rifle not be "effective" at all ranges?  Snipers can be effective at all ranges without quickscoping, so I don't see how quickscoping has any effect on making it unbalanced.

Who says snipers are not high risk weapons?  You don't see the majority of the community using sniper rifles because they are somehow less of a risk than ARs or SMGs.  A shotgun performs great a close range but it is always down to the player to get the kill, same with every other weapon.  A shotgun has lack of long range because it shoots 8+ "bullets" out at once.  You don't see snipers shooting 8 bullets out at once, thus the reason why snipers and shotguns shouldn't be compared.  Black Ops completely gimped snipers period.  If I saw someone at long range not ADSing and then tried to ADS and kill him, it was nearly impossible.  BO was a terrible example, not to mention that the bullet when in a random direction, how is that take more skill?  Why don't we just have every weapon have hipfire accuracy when ADSing?

I don't care about map design much.  MW2 had great map design for sniping, and quickscoping was in that game.  BO1 had okay maps for snipers, yet ARs could easily do the job.  MW3 had great maps for sniping and quickscoping was in that game.  BO2 had okay maps but lacked snipers spots, and ARs dominated that game.  Ghosts had okay maps for snipers but was too much of a cluster, and ARs dominated that game also.

You say snipers should be a "high risk weapon" and the funny thing is they already are.  They are more of a risk than most other weapons in the game, even if they can quickscope.  So what if a sniper can get a kill here and there quickscoping, it takes practice, accuracy, precision, and skill to be good at it.  If snipers were not a risk then why do most people use ARs and SMGs again?  Oh wait that is right because snipers are a high risk weapon.

Logically a sniper can never stay in open areas.  Once he kills 1 or more people with an un-silenced sniper the enemy team knows where he is at.  Only a bad sniper would sit in the same spot the entire game if they know that they can easily get picked off by another player.  On BO2, I use the sniper in close quarters without quickscoping much, and it was quite effective.  You don't have to be in "open areas" to use snipers.  Only fools would think that snipers should be "restricted" to the open areas.  It all comes down to advantage.  In close quarters snipers hardly have the advantage, but there are many ways other than quickscoping to gain a better advantage.

Your logic about shotguns shooting long range just because snipers can kills up close is completely flawed.  I don't understand how that even makes sense.

Your logic-Shotguns should be able to shoot long range.

My counter logic would have to be that snipers should be able to shoot 8 bullets at once with a small hipfire spread.

See that is why your logic is completely flawed.  Quickscoping or not shotguns are not anywhere close to snipers, so stop comparing them.

thebiindsniper

iivrruummii wrote:

See that is why your logic is completely flawed.

I love how you've basically brought in the, "I'm right, you're wrong" logic with that response.  It's good to see the forum members being rational these days.  You'll go far with that attitude.

Snipers and Shotguns are the "yin and yang" of Call of Duty.  In other words, one performs better at close range over long range, and vice versa.  Yes, the shotgun has 8 pellets, but the sniper rifle gets a much farther zoom, making it a lot more accurate and precise.

When a weapon is "high risk", it means they can perform extremely well if handled properly.  This means if a shotgun user were to perform well, they have to avoid open areas or risk death.  Snipers, on the other hand, need to avoid close areas or risk death.  However, with quickscoping the way it is now, the close range risk is no longer as potent, thus it dilutes the risk aspect of the weapon.  Meanwhile, shotguns are not given special treatment and are stuck with disappearing pellets.  Black Ops 1 dramatically increased the difficulty of quickscoping, which is why people hated it.  Why?  Who knows.  Perhaps it prevented quickscope montages from being made ever since MW2 brought quickscoping into the YouTube mainstream.

This brings me back to my original observation:  Why should a one shot kill sniper be effective at all ranges?  If they get special treatment, then that means a shotgun should snipe people as well, right?  If a sniper rifle gets to be pampered via quickscoping, then how about a shotgun gets pampered with pellets that no longer disappear.  That's the only other alternative I can think of.

But alas, my opinions appear to be fruitless when it comes to community discussions.  People hate me for siding against IEDs.  People hated me for thinking MW2 was an unbalanced mess of a multiplayer game.  People hated me for even siding against stopping power in COD4.  What chance do I have in offering valuable feedback when YouTubers can determine the fate of multplayer balance due to subscribers over logic.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

iivrruummii

Well I am right.

According to your logic, if snipers can quickscope then shotguns should be able to shoot across the map.  Using your own logic against you, if shotguns can shoot across the map, then snipers should be able to shoot 8 bullets at once and have a smaller hipfire spread.

Can't you see how your logic is flawed?  It is quite obvious.

You know I am right, that is why you stopped arguing/discussing with me.

BTW that "shotguns should be able to shoot across the map, because snipers can kill up close" crap is not going to work on me bud.  Just a bunch of disinformation.

AlteredVista

How exactly did BO1 population suffer because of its sniper balancing? It was #1 on xbox live for most of the year. What you are saying is an opinion and has no factual basis.

More than six months after BO1 release:

http://majornelson.com/2011/07/27/live-activity-for-week-of-july-18th/

Just after MW3's release:

http://majornelson.com/2011/11/30/live-activity-for-week-of-november-21st/

Several months after MW3's release:

http://majornelson.com/2012/01/25/live-activity-for-week-of-january-16/

Just before Ghosts release: (still in top 10)

http://majornelson.com/2013/11/07/live-activity-for-week-of-oct-28/

AlteredVista

Drift0r is constantly a white knight for quickscoping, and his top friend/channel that he works with is a member of the quickscoping sniper community. It's somewhat bias in favor of snipers.

iivrruummii

But he is not a quickscoper and people don't come to his videos because he quickscopes.  Just because he supports it doesn't mean that his survey is somehow demeaned because of his personal bias.  He took the survey and didn't apply much bias to the results, so the results are factual.  If we interview most of the people on these forums, then it will be more biased toward getting rid of it, but there are far less people that will contribute, meaningful interviews on the subject.  As Drift0r stated, he didn't just ask his Youtube followers to do the survey but many others, including forums.

15000 people that have more variety of views or 1000 people that are more one-sided on the topic.

In the end quickscoping or anti-quickscoping is mostly opinion based.  Drift0r provided the best factual evidence for quickscoping to stay based off 15000+'s of opinions.  If you can get more than 30,000 people to do a survey, then be my guest.

iivrruummii

Hopefully it stays, because it should stay.

CallofDookie2014

QS(or BS) Scopers have had a good run since MW3. I think most of us could use a year off from all the QS FaZe Montage Bullshet...

rankismet

OldBrazy wrote:

Is a style of play and will be in AW. Cheers.

Is an exploit and will most likely be in AW.

Also... the sky is blue, water is wet, and poop stinks.