25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2014 12:50 PM by Raketti RSS

Competitive vs. Casual Call of Duty

GamingNinja911

I am almost positive there will be competitive support in this upcoming Call of Duty and I think we can perfect it. Competitive play has started to become a big deal, with the arrival of Black Ops 2 and Ghosts. Black Ops 2 had League Play and Ghosts had Clan vs Clan. Both had its ups and down. League Play had a good ranking system and ladder points system that really drove the competitive nature. Some downfalls to the mode were its lack of game modes. There were two branches and combined only supported Capture the Flag, Hardpoint, SnD, Team Deathmatch, and Kill Comforted. This lack of modes was due to the fact that most of the modes were not built for competitive play. The game itself was not built for competitive play because of the many bans of items like, claymores, c4, target finders. All of these bans made sense, with some exceptions. UAV got banned and I cant see why. I think its time that the pros play the same as the rest of us. I do not think its fair that the casual majority should have to deal with the training wheels that developers give new guys and the tools they give to campers, its just not fair.Why do we have to suffer and pay the price( literally, we pay for the game) while they get a free pass and are getting payed thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars to play the good version of the game. What about the you tubers who are advertising your game, they have to put up with this bulshit to on a daily basis.Its time you put the skill back into call of duty and make an even playing field. 

• Re: Competitive vs. Casual Call of Duty
          Jok3s

UAV/SATCOM allowed in MLG........ how drunk are you right now? Never gonna work, never.

mdub

GamingNinja911 wrote:

All of these bans made sense, with some exceptions. UAV got banned and I cant see why.

Because it lowers the skill gap. Good players, pub or pro ... dont require the developers, to hold their hand.

You cant claim this .....

GamingNinja911 wrote:

I do not think its fair that the casual majority should have to deal with the training wheels that developers give new guys and the tools they give to campers, its just not fair.

..... and then say this ...

GamingNinja911 wrote:

while they get a free pass

... and finish it off with this ....

GamingNinja911 wrote:

Its time you put the skill back into call of duty and make an even playing field. 

So let me get this straight. Your solution is that the pros ...

GamingNinja911 wrote:

should have to deal with the training wheels that developers give new guys and the tools they give to campers

Your theory, is much like watching the Xbox One reveal .... everyone looking around asking, "Is this guy for real?"

iivrruummii

Everyone should start playing a similar game.  The difference between MLG settings and Public settings are too vast.  I think that the setting should become much more similar.  Every gamemode should have the same settings, example would be that gamemodes like CTF has unlimited flag captures in MLG settings, while in Publics the rounds have a max of 3.  Another example would be how SND has a 7.5 second plant/defuse time in MLG while in publics it is 5 seconds.

ghamorra

The game should be designed for the public and then competitive play should be based off that. Competitive players can do whatever they want with the game but they need to keep their whinny self-pitying agendas out of the casual realm. 

gotsomestars

They should release 2 versions.

AW

&

AW severely dumbed down, for pros.

phxs72

If you prefer MLG then play the MLG playlist.  The overwhelming majority of the COD fanbase does not prefer it.  All you have to do is look at the player count in the lobbies to see this.  If they preferred it then the MLG list would be number one.  As is it's player base is so small that if it was a normal game mode they would likely have replaced it with a new one.  The only reason that it continues to exist is to make it easy for the devs to make MLG rule adjustments for the competitions.

iivrruummii

All that really needs to happen is for Sledgehammer to put in a Skill based ranking system into each playlist.  MLG has its own playlist and so does every other gamemode/playlist, except for a Social TDM and Objective playlist.

phxs72

I like skill based ranking on the surface but in reality its a mess.  In the beginning you just end up matched against guys that you have a poor connection with and in the end everyone's stats look about the same so you pretty much are getting pot luck competition.  They'd need a more developed system to make it work but I seriously don't think that they can get around the poor connection issues unless they go to dedi's.

PUR4IDO

Game Battles? Technically, us pub players are casual players. Some of us are more competitive than others, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a casual experience for most of us. Unless playing COD is your job & source on income, you're a professional at that point.

The Majority of us have jobs or attend school and we when have some free time, we play VG's.

Some of you that consider yourself " competitive " need to open your eyes and see reality for what it is.

If you really want to play competitive, go play w other players in GB. Hopefully you can make it pro.

As much as I hate bs in the game, I also understand that some people enjoy the bs or need to use the bs to be successful in the game. That's why BS is in the game. COD is marketed as game that anybody can play, from the great players to the lesser players, if you make the game for only a select few, you will see profits plummet.

mdub

PUR4IDO wrote:

Game Battles? Technically, us pub players are casual players. Some of us are more competitive than others, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a casual experience for most of us. Unless playing COD is your job & source on income, you're a professional at that point.

The Majority of us have jobs or attend school and we when have some free time, we play VG's.

Some of you that consider yourself " competitive " need to open your eyes and see reality for what it is.

If you really want to play competitive, go play w other players in GB. Hopefully you can make it pro.

As much as I hate bs in the game, I also understand that some people enjoy the bs or need to use the bs to be successful in the game. That's why BS is in the game. COD is marketed as game that anybody can play, from the great players to the lesser players, if you make the game for only a select few, you will see profits plummet.

You are using way too much common sense.

maccabi

The game should be designed for both camps with out the need to remove or add thing for one demographic... That's not gonna happen so let each type of player enjoy what they enjoy without insulting them.

No good will come from this post with regs bagging on how esports players play.

Fact is esports is here to stay it will play a big part in AW how big we won't know until the mp reveal but hopefuy it will be something we can ALL enjoy

gotsomestars

Except it doesn't play a big part at all. If "esports" played a "big" part, there would be more than 100 people in the clan vs clan/league play lobbies. And there just isn't. Esports talk a big talk, but they are a VERY minute part of the game/community. Much smaller than even the HC players

Once people, and the devs understand this, the game can move forward. Unfortunately the rumors I've heard are exactly opposite of this, so we'll watch them fall on their faces ... again.

iivrruummii

gotsomestars wrote:

Except it doesn't play a big part at all. If "esports" played a "big" part, there would be more than 100 people in the clan vs clan/league play lobbies.

Maybe there are reasons for that.  Clan vs Clan was terrible.  League Play held a good 5-10% of players on BO2 for 2 gamemodes, TDM with Pub rules and a Competitive rules playlist.  There were more people playing LP than there were playing Hardpoint, Headquarters, and CTF combined.  If these people cannot have a place in the game then we should start removing other playlists as well because of low population.  Let's only have 3 gamemodes, TDM, Dom, and SND.

What is keeping the game back from moving forward?  It is definitely not the competitive players, they can adapt to change.

maccabi

gotsomestars wrote:

Except it doesn't play a big part at all. If "esports" played a "big" part, there would be more than 100 people in the clan vs clan/league play lobbies. And there just isn't. Esports talk a big talk, but they are a VERY minute part of the game/community. Much smaller than even the HC players

Once people, and the devs understand this, the game can move forward. Unfortunately the rumors I've heard are exactly opposite of this, so we'll watch them fall on their faces ... again.

I said in the coming game, it will play a big part (bigger) part and will influence the way the mp is developed

gotsomestars

I know. And that is a huge problem. Each time they have take a step towards MLG, the community has responded by putting the game down. I worries me greatly that SH is making an even bigger MLG push than trey and IW. They think they are too big to fail, and that's simply not true. I don't "hate" MLG, I hate what they are doing to the game. If MLG played the same game as everyone else, there wouldn't be an issue. And it would be much more popular.