28 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2014 7:01 PM by RedNight129 RSS

Evil Controllers

BAZTUD

Stumbled upon Evil Controllers today when searching for a new rig. They sell one called the Call of Duty Ghosts Master Mod. It offers several hacks and mods, including: auto aim, quick scope, rapid fire, etc. So my question is, WHY THE HELL is Activision/Microsoft/whoever-the-F, not doing something about this! The Ghosts developers or moderators or whatever should be on this! They should buy one of these Evil Controllers, plug it in, see what it does, and PATCH the damn code! I have seen way too many players lately with 3.0+ KDs. Hell, I saw a guy with a 4.75 today. There is no way these KDs are legit, and the open sale of these modded controllers like Evil prove it IMO. I know first hand that companies have intellectual property protection teams, patent protection teams, counterfeit protection teams. Why is Activision not going after these companies selling modded/hacking controllers, and the like, especially when they are using the Call of Duty Ghosts name and theme?

• Re: Evil Controllers
          AntiGov

Those controllers use something called macro programming, it's actual not a hack and it has nothing to do with "code" as you say. The controllers manipulate the I/O going from the controller to the console via macro programs that are stored on fairly cheap Picaxe controllers. From a more basic standpoint one button press will result in multiple button presses in a preset order and at a set speed.

What I find amusing is that people actually pay well over $100 for a mod that cost roughly $15 and a little time. I don't use modded controllers but I do make DIY robots and tend to play around with a lot electronics. I don't think modded controllers really give people the advantage they think they do, aside from rapid fire. They don't have wall hacks and aim bots like people think they do.

The only 3rd party controller out that actually gives a player an advantage is made by Scuff and they don't use macro programming. They allow the player to select what buttons they would like to have on the bottom of the controller, that way you never have to take your right thumb off the stick. I'd say that those players you see with the really high K/D are using a Scuff controller. I don't see why Sony/Microsoft doesn't adopt a method like Scuff for their controllers, maybe market it as a FPS controller or something of the sort and slap a $80 price tag on it.

slyd0g55

Fair play has just exit the building .......

AntiGov

slyd0g55 wrote:

Fair play has just exit the building .......

I didn't say they were ok to use, using one can actually result in a ban but they don't have the capability of detecting them. I just don't like when people go on a rant without actually taking the time to learn what they're ranting about. I do like the design of the Scuff controller, it's something that I see that could be useful and that's why I'd like to see Sony/Microsoft make one.

slyd0g55

I understand a view of your skill towards mechanics after reading your reply, but 

"I don't see why Sony/Microsoft doesn't adopt a method like Scuff for their controllers, maybe market it as a FPS controller or something of the sort and slap a $80 price tag on it."

" do like the design of the Scuff controller, it's something that I see that could be useful and that's why I'd like to see Sony/Microsoft make one."

What's wrong with the controllers now?  I read an article on "Creating controllers for all disabilities" in my latest game mag, this is the only time (IMO)that a controller should be modded , they already give the option of configuration classes , so why with the Scuff? If your meaning that they build better controllers than that's fine but to incorporate  not having to like you mentioned "that way you never have to take your right thumb off the stick." or rapid fire just seems like another cheater in my view .

Players these days are giving up to quickly and looking for another way to battle -  I wonder if they tried this code IDDQD?

AntiGov

slyd0g55 wrote:

I understand a view of your skill towards mechanics after reading your reply, but

"I don't see why Sony/Microsoft doesn't adopt a method like Scuff for their controllers, maybe market it as a FPS controller or something of the sort and slap a $80 price tag on it."

" do like the design of the Scuff controller, it's something that I see that could be useful and that's why I'd like to see Sony/Microsoft make one."

What's wrong with the controllers now?  I read an article on "Creating controllers for all disabilities" in my latest game mag, this is the only time (IMO)that a controller should be modded , they already give the option of configuration classes , so why with the Scuff? If your meaning that they build better controllers than that's fine but to incorporate  not having to like you mentioned "that way you never have to take your right thumb off the stick." or rapid fire just seems like another cheater in my view .

Players these days are giving up to quickly and looking for another way to battle -  I wonder if they tried this code IDDQD?

Just as someone else mentioned rapid fire can stopped by the developer. As far as having a couple buttons on the bottom of the controller I think that's how it should be, as in default. It makes the controller more ergonomic and makes use of fingers you were not using. I've also always complained about not being able to map the buttons to where I want them, why impose such strict rules on button mapping? Do  they think we're not capable of doing it? Some games allow you to map them however you want but I haven't seen one in a long time.

slyd0g55

slight variations can mean big differences, I'm against other types of controllers ,either make a controller that the community has voted on,just not 2-3 different ones

ie - if they made a baseball bat a little thicker or lighter (not staying with the guidelines) don't you think all batters would want that?

Xx67Customs

If you want to bring sports into it, then what about golf? There are many different types of drivers. Different grips, different shafts, different heads... I mean, I would be willing to be that no two golfers in a particular tournament are playing with the exact same driver.

They pick a driver they want to play with based on personal preference as long as they are used within the rules of the sport. The same game is played by all of them.

Same with the different controllers that are offered. The buttons on the back don't have to be mapped to any two particular buttons. They can map them to whatever you want. It is all about personal preference as long as you are playing the same game within the rules.

That is my take on controllers. As long as you aren't changing the game, do whatever you feel is more comfortable or helps you play better. I'm going to skip the stock driver in the box and go with the TaylorMade BRZ.

slyd0g55

But the basic principle is that it's got a grip, shaft and a head!

What your comparing it with is a golf driver? I mean everyone has the option on their set of clubs!

example:   If you were still using wooden driver heads you tee off , then I tee off with my "new" titanium head then throughout the game I was out driving you thus my score being much lower than yours , but you claim I cheated , in my reply it's got a grip shaft & a head ,still within guidelines, would you be happy? NO , ALL drivers followed suit. The driver doesn't necessarily get the ball in the hole the middle and end game do

Back to the topic - buttons on the back or 1  button on the back does change things I mean in a game were Millie seconds count going to prone or jumping while still aiming is a slight advantage , not by much but it beats jumping and not aiming by a bit..........As for it not changing the game , well yea your controller has got an extra button on it duhhhhh. I tell you what go back to your original controller and do some of the stuff you would do on the modded controller and MAYBE over time you will feel otherwise

I'm not saying it's a sure thing as an advantage point , but like Golf drivers all evolved from the wooden era , and as well as the  controller but maybe with the console pack we have an extra controller with those buttons,, so if we like (and probably will considering pros use it like someone mentioned)

- would like to see a controller that 1 half could twist down so in a gun battle instead of pushing a button a slight twist of my wrist and the avatar drops heading to prone or to a knee stance (maybe haven't thought about for long) 

Xx67Customs

I feel like at this point we are just going in circles.

My opinion is that if you wish to buy a controller that relocates buttons that allow you to better utilize your fingers, there isn't anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't change the game. Microsoft and Activision aren't going to ban them since pros use them. They want MLG events with their product to succeed and if pros want controllers with extra buttons, well, they are going to allow it. So if they are going to allow it... I'm going to use one. If a competitive advantage can legally be had... I'm getting it.

You can wish that everyone played with the stock controller, but that just isn't going to ever happen.

Bubbakush

Even the "rapid fire" mods on the controllers only work to some extent. Old trigger buttons would make any gun empty a clip in seconds. Now the devs have set rpm limiters on weapons in game and by going over those limits causes the gun in game to stutter or fail to fire.

BAZTUD

There definitely are aimbots. MW3 (or BO) had these timed training missions you completed to earn stars. When you successfully finished the timed trial (shot or knifed all the necessary targets) your score was ranked within the game community. The top 100 or more scores were under like 20 seconds. The only way to achieve that kind of time was to run a straight line through the course without aiming or knifing. These players were absolutely using aimbots. Maybe it has changed since then, but I doubt it.

Bubbakush

No they hacked there times. The same way people have times in the seconds for races on GTA 5. aimbots are a computer program

AntiGov

BAZTUD wrote:

There definitely are aimbots. MW3 (or BO) had these timed training missions you completed to earn stars. When you successfully finished the timed trial (shot or knifed all the necessary targets) your score was ranked within the game community. The top 100 or more scores were under like 20 seconds. The only way to achieve that kind of time was to run a straight line through the course without aiming or knifing. These players were absolutely using aimbots. Maybe it has changed since then, but I doubt it.

Yes I know aim bots do exist but that's not something a modded controller can do as the OP suggests.

xoMrSLAVEox

Check out wildfire controllers

AntiGov

Looks like yet another rip-off, the only thing that would help you with would be rapid fire. It's not something that gives someone a distinct advantage that cannot be overcome. The reality of the situation is this, those companies prey on people that what to do the things that "good" players do but cannot. They give them false hope and once the magical controller arrives they soon come to terms with reality. The functions those controllers promote do not actually work as they say they do. It's not going to turn you into a 360 quick scope master, it's going to make you look like a fool.

BAZTUD

I agree with your comments about these companies preying on players looking to get some footing. But, my question--or doubt--is about these "good players". I play a lot, and have been doing so since COD4. Over these years, and probably a thousand hours of multiplayer, I have never met anyone with a KD over 2.75. Sure, I have seen 3.0+ players and even a 4.75, but these guys never talk and never stay in a lobby for more than one game. Most players are about 1.25? Maybe just 1.0? The best players I know have sub 3.0 KD's, and they are insanely good. Thirty plus kills every match. Hell, a couple have sponsors. My point is I do not believe these guys with 3.0+ KD's are legit, and certainly not the 4.0+ players. Where I am going with this is, why doesn't Activision simply investigate the players with KD's over 4.0 (or 3.5)? There can not be that many of them, and I would put money on the fact they are hacking in some form or another. I really can not believe there are that many COD Garry Kasparov's and Bobby Fischer's out there. And that is what we are talking about if a KD is over 3.5. Above 4.0 would be like the Metatron's of COD.

slyd0g55

I'm friends with a few 2+ KD players (I'm also a 2 KD player) , but unlike them I play alot of solo now,(KD slowly dropping). They would more likely play in a party or a clan most of the time.it is possible to maintain those stats.

A better format of the stats is how WE should measure players , AntiGov made me realise that their is a potential market for these controllers, I have heard of them a few years ago and also held one,but as far as playing with one NO ,

What PS & MS need to do is when signing in your controller with the console have some type of code, because I DON'T SUPPORT MODDED CONTROLLERS at all , and if the pros are using them , well they're technically not a pro player ,having to manipulate the buttons where most of us just adapt with.

I play a bit of chess on CHESS.COM if your up for a game? I'm 1087 I think on 10min games, so not very good but don't mind a challenged     

xoMrSLAVEox
                                                    Not true! I have 3.41kd at the moment in ghosts but its dropping fast now bcoz i have no team to play with bcoz everyone went back to mw3, and on mw3 i have 3.45 kd and its not dropping bcoz its easier to play. I have many friends with over 2.0 kd and for example the best one has 4.59 kd on ghosts and avg kills per game 35. We are hardcore domination players. I have played cod games since cod4 too and i know really much people with really high kd and they are super good without cheating or hacking
                                                Xx67Customs

Scuf and Imagine Customs make controllers with extra buttons on the back of the controller. These allow you to use fingers you aren't normally using to control player movement. This isn't modding or hacking the game, so I don't think it is cheating. In fact, MLG has accepted Scuf as a controller option for pro events.

I currently own a Scuf controller for the 360 and one for the X1 as well as an Imagine Customs for the X1. They do give you an advantage, but I don't think you can say that someone with a high K/D has it simply because of the controller. They don't create that much of an advantage. Having the ability to easily jump and go prone while playing doesn't make that much of a difference in gameplay.

They don't create movements in the gameplay that other people can't perform. It simply relocates the buttons for those movements on the controller to a better spot.

slyd0g55

Your wrong about having buttons to push going to prone or jump having not much of an advantage,considering for most have to leave their R3 analog to switch to the symbol buttons or letters then switch back , BIG difference in HC ,(default setting of course)

like you said " It simply relocates the buttons for those movements on the controller to a better spot" A slight advantage for the "better players" that with decent internet can boost a players stats, you may think otherwise but I do not, - along with rapid fire trigger , one less attachment , and one towards something else.....

As for MLG accepting this , their scum , Fair Play is what competition is about ,  Their pretty much saying the controllers you got with your console are a "basic" entry level, this controller here will give you an "advance"  level type play

Maybe I'm jealous? I too wouldn't mind a button on the back for my middle finger , jump or to prone 

Xx67Customs

I'm not wrong. I said there is an advantage, just not much of one. The level to which you thought my "not much" meant is your own opinion, so I can't be wrong. Also, out of the two of us, which one of us has actually had experience playing with both controllers and seeing how they changed your gameplay? Not trying to be a jerk at all, so please don't take it that way. I'm just saying, based on your reply, you don't have one nor does it seem like you have played with one. I have. I was around a 1.5-1.6 K/D CoD player before I got the Imagine Customs and Suff controllers and now I hover around a 1.75. Is that a lot? I don't know. It doesn't seem like it to me. The buttons may help me avoid 2-3 deaths per game, but I still have my usual good games and I still get owned sometimes.

I agree that it allows a good player to be even better and they can achieve better stats (I don't agree that it boosts stats in the typical gaming use of the term boost), but what I'm saying is that it doesn't make a 1 K/D player into a 3 K/D player or even a 2 K/D player.

It is an advantage. I absolutely agree with that, but the point of my previous post is to say that it isn't cheating like adding controller moddifications that add rapid fire and such. That is changing the game. With relocated buttons, the player still has to decide to press the buttons to move the player. They still have to play the game within the defined rules.

BTW, getting a Scuf or Imagine Customs controller isn't exactly breaking the bank. They both have a mail in service where you send your controller to them and they add buttons for around $20-$25. It makes playing FPS games, and even racing games, much more comfortable to play. Well worth it if you ask me.

slyd0g55

Me implying 'your wrong" Is my own opinion and your most definitely correct about me not having game time with the modded controller. This is a discussion at the moment that I feel otherwise about it.

Throughout your reply as well as mine with agree to disagree.... For that price yea it seems worth while for sure , but as having it an advantage, well it seems we can both agree their can't we? Your KD has increased ,now give that another year and you will rely as well as get better again, it's a natural progression with CoD with some, maybe many of us. You take 2+ KD players or even ( 3+ KD players (thou I have never seen these players EVER in game ) and the match will mostly be unbalanced, going to prone or drop shotting without using Tactical Default (PS option in controller option) is already giving it a slight advantage 1v1.., This was a trend in the PS community ,Camping more seems it now, Cheating .... it's more it's going to manipulate the device , so it does have some aspects towards cheating and Fair Play.

I noticed you did not respond to the MLG comment I made  - maybe you summed it up with this " It is an advantage. I absolutely agree with that "  .maybe

All I wanted to point out , is that some/I feel otherwise about players with modded controllers - I mean players still using Tube TV's are at a slight disadvantage, but the console didn't come with a HD TV lol it came with a controller 

Play on Player

Xx67Customs

Yeah, I agree that it is an advantage. I even posted in a comment above... "If a competitive advantage can be legally had... I'm getting it."

I didn't really respond to you MLG comment because I don't have a feeling towards them either way. I believe that to an extent... they have allowed these controllers to be used because the pros wanted to use them. I don't think it is MLG making any statement about controllers. But if you asked several of the players, a standard box X1 controller it to basic to play with in competitive events.

BTW, I have an Xbox One and you must own an HDTV to play it. Everyone that is playing on Xbox One has an HDTV. I don't know why that matters, but based on your last comment there, just sayin'.lol

RedNight129

it is just moving the buttons to the back, doesn't add anything

ghamorra

First hand look at the douchebags who ruin gaming.

gramthenOOb

I realize some players use controllers with different button layouts, but these controllers do not effect the player's skill level or abilities, but rather how the player operates their character.  This, in my opinion, is fair.

Losing to players using a controller that gives them an advantage such as "auto aim" or "increased fire rate" does not, in my mind, register as a loss.  It's like losing a drag race against a car whilst riding a bike; If it's a no-contest situation, I refuse to take the loss to heart.