29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 12:00 PM by veilofmaya RSS

ICYMI... the mini-map may have gone Dodo Bird

Take a look at the gameplay from E3... and pay attention to what is missing.... the HUD.

All of the intel about your loadout is on your gun.

... and...

... there is no mini-map.

I hope to GOD that is the case for MP, too.

Latest reply: on Jun 11, 2014 12:00 PM by Replies: 29 in Advanced Warfare General Discussion
      rankismet
        • Test #1
          Re: ICYMI... the mini-map may have gone Dodo Bird

I'm cool with that. Maybe instead use a noise indicator that shows the direction but not the location. Adds some realism perhaps.

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 6:00 PM
          • Test #1

That is cool if they keep the HUD out of it.

What is that second number below the ammo count? Kept climbing up at the beginning...

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 6:10 PM
            • Test #1

There is absolutely no chance that sledgehammer will get rid of the mini map in multiplayer and if they do I won't be buying the game.

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 8:31 PM
                • Test #1

I often forget that the minimap exists. I played HC way back when and I learned to not rely on the crutch (yes it's a crutch and the fact that people get so bent out of shape over Ghost, Assassin, and OTG makes me laugh, noobs) and if it wasn't for the uncanny grenade and tube spamming in recent games I'd still be playing HC modes.

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 8:36 PM
                    • Test #1

Crutch or not it speeds the game up and that's all I care about. Why are you complaining about grenades in hardcore? You don't think being able to survive a noob tube in core is a crutch too? After the dismal failure of ghosts I doubt sledgehammer will slow the game down by removing the mini map so you're just going to have to deal with it.

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 8:46 PM
                        • Test #1

I'm perfectly fine with grenades. They're part of the game and I welcome them. However, I can't tell the difference between a HC match of DOM or the grand finale at a 4th or July fireworks display. Notice I said "spam". 

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 8:55 PM
                          • Test #1

The mini map only effects game speed for bad players. Good players don't need to chase dots to move. Taking the mini map out would do one thing, increase the skill gap. And as we've found out in ghosts, if they do anything that increases the skill gap, half the players cry, stomp their feet, and quit.

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 9:09 PM
                              • Test #1

gotsomestars wrote:

The mini map only effects game speed for bad players. Good players don't need to chase dots to move. Taking the mini map out would do one thing, increase the skill gap. And as we've found out in ghosts, if they do anything that increases the skill gap, half the players cry, stomp their feet, and quit.

Your post is so very, very true. I love hardcore, but because games are hard to come by at times you have to play core. It's soooooo noobish!

I really hope the get rid of the kill cam as well!

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 7:41 AM
                          • Test #1

LegionSlayer wrote:

There is absolutely no chance that sledgehammer will get rid of the mini map in multiplayer and if they do I won't be buying the game.

Sure there is.... and since it looks like they are, be prepared to not be buying it.

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 7:40 AM
                          • Test #1

Could be, but I noticed there were a lot of games missing HUD. May be something to make the visuals cleaner.

Last Edited: Jun 9, 2014 8:35 PM
                            • Test #1

IMO, I don't think the minimap will be removed.  I think the reason it was missing was due to the gameplay being a demonstration.  The minimap isn't just for seeking out red dots.  The mini map is also there to coordinate by knowing where friendly players are.

Also, what the heck are these green colored numbers!?  lol

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 7:49 AM
                              • Test #1

rankismet wrote:

Take a look at the gameplay from E3... and pay attention to what is missing.... the HUD.

... and...

Would be very very interesting to see what that might implicate for MP.

Personally, I seriously doubt they will remove it from CORE modes (can you imagine the whining threads?)

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 8:21 AM
                                  • Test #1

Izjar11 wrote:

rankismet wrote:

... and...

Would be very very interesting to see what that might implicate for MP.

Personally, I seriously doubt they will remove it from CORE modes (can you imagine the whining threads?)

I can totally imagine the whining threads.

Makes me giggle.

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 10:25 AM
                                  • Test #1

removing the minimap would be the greatest thing to happen to cod in years

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 2:15 PM
                                    • Test #1

gotsomestars It's not about chasing red dots. I mainly use the mini-map to find my teammates position (something I would know at all times in real life anyways). I have a 3+ kd in ffa in Ghosts and I never use the sat-com and rarely use suppressors. Properly using the mini-map is a skill that good players have. Only bad players who can't figure it out complain about the mini-map or chase red dots.

Removing the mini-map does slow the game down for everyone. Making it too hard to find people reduces the number of gunfights, which reduces the amount of action in the game, which slows the game down for everyone.

Sure there is.... and since it looks like they are, be prepared to not be buying it.

rankismet I guarantee you that they will not remove the mini-map unless they plan on replacing it with something equivalent. Don't forget that the video you saw yesterday was from campaign gameplay. Call of Duty hasn't had a mini-map in the campaign since 2008. They showed footage of the guy seeing people through walls and you think they're going to make it harder to find people in the multiplayer? Keep dreaming kid . I'll be back to bump this thread and call you out when they show the mini-map in the multiplayer reveal.

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 3:34 PM
                                        • Test #1

I think maybe your ego is showing. No one asked, or cared about your kd or FFA. I will point out you said you use it to find TEAMMATES, right before you started on your FFA tangent, which makes me giggle. I nor anyone here will be upset if they don't take it out. But as you can see most would be in favor of it. The old style of compass was much better. I'd also like to point out that you contradicted yourself by saying "the minimap doesn't help me find enemies, only teammates" then said " if you take the minimap out games will be slower because you won't be able to find your enemies". So, which one is it?

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 5:44 PM
                                            • Test #1

gotsomestars wrote:

I think maybe your ego is showing. No one asked, or cared about your kd or FFA. I will point out you said you use it to find TEAMMATES, right before you started on your FFA tangent, which makes me giggle. I nor anyone here will be upset if they don't take it out. But as you can see most would be in favor of it. The old style of compass was much better. I'd also like to point out that you contradicted yourself bIy saying "the minimap doesn't help me find enemies, only teammates" then said " if you take the minimap out games will be slower because you won't be able to find your enemies". So, which one is it?

I said I MAINLY (not only) use the minimap to see the positions of my teammates, which helps me predict the spawns and find the action. I wouldn't expect you to understand since you  have no idea how to read the mini map. Taking the radar out would make it harder to find people and slow the game down.

Who cares if you and the 10 people posting in this thread want the mini map removed? The vast majority of CoD players are in the playlist that has the mini map enabled so it won't be going anywhere. If you don't like the mini map play hardcore.

Last Edited: Jun 11, 2014 9:55 AM
                                          • Test #1

Hmm, I just had an idea.  Let's the radar itself was removed.  How can players make up for it?  By adding a green and blue glowing highlight around friendly players, allowing you to see them even through walls from a long distance (like in Left 4 Dead).  When enemies fire their weapon, they will glow red, but cannot be seen through the walls.

I doubt this will happen, but at least it's a decent idea.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Last Edited: Jun 10, 2014 10:47 PM