27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2014 7:04 AM by phxs72 RSS

Should Clan Wars Return?

ghamorra

I love this concept of not having to go into a special mode to battle it out in a tournament. The Clan Wars setup far surpasses League Play in my opinion as it's more about translating public lobby success over into an outside tournament. I think it should return and I hope they can figure out ways to innovate Clan Wars further.

• Re: Should Clan Wars Return?
          PUR4IDO

No.  it's a good that has not been executed correctly. It should be a special mode where actual clans battle it out. Not clans looking searching for easy lobbies to get easy wins.

ghamorra

League Play was a competitive only playlist and I hardly ever played against a full lobby. A match would start and at the first sign of trouble everyone quit. It was miserable and boring. The specific rules were stupid, people raged and complained. It didn't matter if you were Masters or Iron division, players acted the same.

In Clan Wars you can take your Clan Tags off and no one would know the difference. Just party chat through the console instead of the game and not a single player would know that there's a party of 6 in their lobby.

PUR4IDO

Exactly, that's why they take the clan tag off. See the problem there??? It should be actual clan vs clan. Right now is a battle of which clan beats up on the most pubs.

ghamorra

PUR4IDO wrote:

Exactly, that's why they take the clan tag off. See the problem there??? It should be actual clan vs clan. Right now is a battle of which clan beats up on the most pubs.

No I don't. Take your clan tag off, find a match, and actually play. As ITS_SURRIDGE said no one plays competitive modes and I'm not about to waste a weekend sitting in a lobby that gets no action. Clan Wars brings most of the clans online. Sure you may find a few randoms but for the most part every single match has a couple groups and clans in it. Clan Wars works.

ITS_SURRIDGE

Thing ive noticed with the competitive playlists be it 3archs League Play or IWs clan vs clan, is that they always seem to be very poorly populated.

I flicked online last night, of the 30k+ players online (PS4) roughly 250 people were in clan vs clan playlist.

It was an interesting idea, but the fact is very few people actually want to play competitively. The vast majority of players would rather just "pub stomp" or whatever the "xX iPro hardcoreZzz HDz PWnD Sn!P Xx " section of the community call playing in public lobbies nowadays.

I personally feel its just taking up space that could be better used for other additional core or hardcore playlists.

iivrruummii

There were upwards of 30K+ people playing League Play on the X360.  Ghosts's clanVclan playlist was a gimmick more than anything.  In LP you actually were set up with similar skilled players, most of the time I played.  CVC was just no one close to as good as LP., that is probably why it has such a low population, and the fact that it was on a newer console.

As for having more playlists, I think there are quite enough.  They actually need to start combining them at this point, considering the low population on the PS4/X1.

maccabi

yes but only if Beachhead dont go within 50 miles of it

OUHATEME

I Agree with you here they had such an opportunity to own it ,, yet if you follow their twitter which I know you did, they cater too much to specific clans.

maccabi

OUHATEME wrote:

I Agree with you here they had such an opportunity to own it ,, yet if you follow their twitter which I know you did, they cater too much to specific clans.

Their twitter and reddit accounts nowadays are basically retweets and sucking up to their golden wont say a bad word about them "friends" and clans (the same clans they basically tailored clans wars to help.

I dont mean to knock BH but lets be honest they totally screwed up elite, clan challenges and never listened to any feedback that wasn't praise. and they have completely ruined clan wars  and the app. CoD elite shouldve been the thing that took cod to the next level instead it dragged it down

Time to get new blood in

ghamorra

I loved the website, or at least I loved what it could of been had it ever worked properly.

A dedicated website to clans, players, and support tools alike gives anyone the chance to really embrace the game they love. It was a complete waste of limitless potential. I can't understand why they didn't take it more seriously.

phxs72

I say yes but I do hope that they cut the schedule down to 3 days or 2 even.  The 5 day grind can be brutal.  Granted, I play more COD than most 2 or 3 people combined and I'd still be playing regardless but even guys like me want to be able to not have to bring their A game as often.  I do like that they spread it out this year by only having a war every other week and I do like that there are no more daily challenges.  I think that they are headed in the right direction but they really should cut back on the war duration.  That would be an improvement in my book.

OUHATEME

Yes I like the ability with the 5 day clan wars to pick and choose your times as a clan to play,,, I liked that they were able to mix up several game modes into it,, the pub stomping argument doesn't really hold up as during these times it is heavily populated by clans the randoms don't like it because they are seeing more teamwork and objective playing than usual... Try running a party less than six during clan wars and see who doesn't ptfo. Would like to see a more stable and scheduled system without a floating set of rules to accommodate certain clans .

edit almost forgot::::::to make sure to have a proper leveling system in place no way my clan should have been maxed out for months now I should still be working on it and maybe make it in August if running top tier the whole time.

thebiindsniper

Yes and No.  Yes, clans are important, but I believe that clan wars should have their own separate playlist.  That way, it's not about facing off against easy-to-kill scrubs.  Instead, clan wars (with its own playlist) will be about intense skill and not-so-easy clan victories.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

ghamorra

We have this gamemode now and it's never played. At most there's 200 people in the playlist.

vims1990

Fair point about the clan vs. clan playlist being barely used.

However, just a thought. SH Games could possibly add a matchmaking option for clan wars (applicable for all game modes). So matches played using that matchmaking option will only count towards progress in clan wars.

Therefore, this will create a fair playing field where solo players aren't being matchmaked against clans. I'm all for clan wars but I have to agree with the others regarding the issue about the current clan war system not really being about "clan vs clan", it's more clans "pubstomping" solo players.

ghamorra

It's not so much about no plays Clan v Clan. No one wants to play against other clans period. If, for instance, Clan Wars required you to go into a specific playlist then no one would participate in Clan Wars. Fact is, players don't want to go against other clans and if they do play against a clan that clan would quit mid match once the win started to seem implausible (which we already see now)

PUR4IDO

ghamorra wrote:

It's not so much about no plays Clan v Clan. No one wants to play against other clans period. If, for instance, Clan Wars required you to go into a specific playlist then no one would participate in Clan Wars. Fact is, players don't want to go against other clans and if they do play against a clan that clan would quit mid match once the win started to seem implausible (which we already see now)

If the clans don't want to face other clans, what's the point of having a clan? That used to the whole point of being in a clan, you faced other clans in private matches. You just proved my point correct, clan wars is about full parties picking on random to rack up points & get easy victories. It's funny when a clan comes into the lobby the 1st thing they do is check the K/D of the ppl in the lobby, if they see players with better #'s they leave and search for an easy lobby.

ghamorra

The fault with you point is that you think people would participate in it. LP had 14,000 people and it was open to anyone. When numbers are as high as they were Black Ops II 14,000 isn't a big number. Clan vs Clan is pointless at this point. No one plays it and I doubt anyone can even find a match. Fact is, players don't want to play a competitive mode with rules and skill based matches. The reason I think Clan Wars works is that it finds a way to keep the participants coming back and the competition is indirect so you can compete against other clans without actually directly competing with them.

I personally enjoy the challenges of going against other clans (with or without my own party). Others don't and never will so why bother trying to force something on them they won't ever bother themselves with?

iivrruummii

ghamorra wrote:

Fact is, players don't want to play a competitive mode with rules and skill based matches.

Maybe it was implemented correctly for once without any flaws like glitches, then players might play it more.  The fact is that players don't like getting cheated by a flawed system.  In BO2 the system was quite flawed and sometimes to the point where you couldn't even get out of Bronze when only playing against Masters.

What they need to do is just make it so that there is a rank for every playlist.  Goes up and down if you win or lose depending on your teammates and enemies.  The game will not look for similar skilled players over connection.  If you play against much worse players your rank will either hardly go up or drastically go down if you win or lose.  You could win every game against bad players and be the same rank as a player that wins half of his games against good players.

Everyone starts out at 1200 or 1500.  The game calculates the average of both teams.  If your team wins your team gets +?  and if you lose you get a -? depending if your team was most likely to win or lose.  There are many algorithms/formulas on the internet that could figure this.  It would be easy as hell to implement because the game isn't looking for similar skilled players like it LP but is more like it is now but with a sugar coating of rank on top.  I think that this one "stat" would take the emphasis away form K/D and other stats.  You could really determine who the better players are based off of their rank.

thebiindsniper

The clan vs clan playlist should become available when a clan war starts.  When the clan war has ended, the playlist vanishes.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

OUHATEME

The clan v clan playlist is esports rules which as by the population you see how many people like that .. I have nothing against those that like it , but many have no use for it and it shows... Trying something like league play again which was plagued with dashboarding will just end up as another failure clans can have as few as three members right now to participate in clan wars so how would they fit in? Not every clan runs parties of six at all times ,, not all clans are that good,,, groups of friends that play together can hold their own just fine .there are also several game modes that are not a part do clan wars ,,,,,,, during clan wars right now a majority of lobbies have clans in them extremely rare that we face another team that doesn't have clan members on it during clan wars yes there are randoms here and there but they are paired with smaller parties of clans ... And I will say this again when running In a smaller than 6 party and there are randoms who do you think doesn't ptfo. If the randoms or solo players don't care for teams that are playing the objective and they can't kill farm any more too bad go play FFA or hopefully for the true solo players they will bring back mercenary mode. Instead of trying to push clans off into a different playlist make mercenary mode so that it doesn't count for clan wars.

that is something I could agree with

PUR4IDO

When I say it's a stupid idea, yet somebody else suggest the same thing and it's not a bad idea.

gotsomestars

"Clan wars" is a great idea in theory. But it just doesn't work well. Beachheads ineptitude is amazing.  But besides that, the current version of "clan wars" is just plain terrible. Its not about which clan is better. Its about who can find the most people to play the longest. The only "tactics" involved is getting people to put there lives aside for five days. This version of clan wars has hurt the community more than it's helped.

ghamorra

I think it's going to be tough to figure out a way to make a international competitive competition in Call of Duty. I think Clan Wars works because because it's a lot of effort. Not so much skill, no. But it's a time when everyone is on and working for a common goal. Communication is up and people actually give a damn about how they're playing rather than just going out and messing around. I find, at least in my circle. People take the game more seriously.

gotsomestars

I agree that they take it a little more seriously, maybe even a little, or a lot, too seriously. I had hoped for something more like what was mentioned above. You get your six clan mates and join a lobby to play against another clan. Winner gets a point, loser loses a point. Not some random pool of teams who don't ever play against each other battling it out for who can lock themselves in the basement and beat up on random for the most hours.