25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2014 12:18 PM by Shadowstrike002 RSS

What is skill anymore?

Jon_the_Chief

What truly defines skill anymore?  High score leaderboards? Does having a high coop or solo for extinction or chaos truly mean you are a good player? With all the new relics added to the game, it seems to me that having a extinction high coop score only means how good your teammates were during that one game. For solo extinction, a high score only means how well you can use the grenade turret and know the placements for it. A high chaos coop means how good your teammates can run circles around aliens and not get hit. A high solo chaos just means how well you can use a mk 32 and knowing the spawns. In addition to that there is also a luck factor within these high scores. If there were no challenges, everyone can get a perfect personal skill and drill protection on any hive for solo and coop. I know this statement will probably get a lot of hate but lately the highest scores that are done that get top of the leaderboards fit this statement entirely. I'm not asking for a nerf or a change of the game but I'm starting to feel like maybe averages per game are the one thing that might truly determines skill now. I was wondering what you guys think determines skill now? How do you decide if a player is good or not?

• Re: What is skill anymore?
          Stinky666

I wish we could see who voted/rated this a 1 star. Not sure why someone would do that and not reply. Put you as a 5 star to try balance it out.

With the new relics, you do HAVE to rely on your team, as you know, so that is team skill as you said. I would say skill for an individual person is someone who can do the challenges, get kills, not go down, and know what they are doing, and know when to run and not stand and gun.

I like yet dislike the fact of these new relics, cos they do make you rely solely on your team for co-op. At least before, with just the 5 relics, you could get a decent enough score with no GT and a some-what rubbish team.

bobbyowens

To me, leaderboards arn't that interesting. I recognize skill when I watch a game play video and see it with my own eyes and learn something from it. If that game happens to be a high score gt game (which does take skill and map knowledge) I'm not interested in watching it. If it's a speed run, challenge, first attempt, or a clutch clip, I'm watching and loving it.

I sorta feel the same way about zombies. It seems like the people with the highest rounds were the people with enough time on there hands to play for days or weeks on end.

Shadowstrike002

Skill to me is escapes ( Your free to disagree) if you can escape alot which is the main part of extinction that makes you skillful.

Jon_the_Chief

I agree to this to a certain point. A guy with like 4000 games and 200 escapes though in my opinion is worse than a guy with 200 games and 100 escapes. There should be a average for beating the map each time you start up a game. I met too many players who I thought would be amazing because of their escapes but I found out that its only because they play that much that your bound to get in a couple of escapes.

slyd0g55

This a measurement that is hard to gauge, I can say that I agree with pretty all the points you made.,We are getting competitive with our stats , lets face it , even in Extinction we now are comparing stats in the forums, Theirs threads going about time/escapes, high scores, which is fine cause when it comes down to it, some actually care and would like others to know how good their playing,some don't

What is considered as skill - I've been here before with discussions,

• Avg scores - show some form , thou veteran players know whose running relics almost off the get go
                  • Kills - again sentry guns and traps play a role with this
                  • Victories - Maybe this is skill 

If the scores and ability scores were nil, would we still enjoy it?  or maybe they should play the scores as a team , similar to chaos mode.

Score is the usual method to keep players hooked.

KamrunChaos

Exactly the same way I felt about the new relics-  I was telling a friend that the team helping the person escape should be getting leaderboard stats saying "Helped a friend escape with (however many) relics (however many times)" as well as get extra xp for doing so- considering some of the new relics make the relic runner literally sit in the back unable to do anything with said relics on.

AngryBus97

Everyone has a different opinion on this.

Personally, I don't think that there can be a definition for skill in Extinction, but I don't agree with your points.

I play both Co-op and solo, and although I go for world records in solo, I definitely don't think it is just a simple matter of planting a GT in a good spot. If this is true, I challenge everyone who reads this to complete an 8 relic run with a good score (at least 600k). This isn't a dig at anyone at all, I'm just saying it still takes practice and effort to achieve these things, you need to manage spawns, ammo, money, drill protection, personal skill, damage taken etc........ all the while managing to escape without downing 4 times.

Co-op? I understand your point, but isn't having good team mates the point? Thus, the reason it is called a 'team'? I don't get a good score by joining a lobby with someone who has never escaped....

Chaos on co-op, I haven't had enough experience with this, so I'll leave it aside.

I definitely have to disagree with your point on solo Chaos but, considering most of the top 20 records on 360 (excluding Mayday) did not use the MK32. Also, it's not just a 'simple' manner of shooting the MK32, it is incredibly hard to manage, and you'll notice this because all of the good Chaos players are consistent with their records since they know what to run, and how to run it well.

Yes, challenges are 'luck of the draw', but it has been like this for half a year and everyone seems to be fine waiting for that 'perfect game'. After all, no one blamed a bad Zombies game if one spawned right in front of you.

Anyway, I hope you understand my points, but please respect that this is my opinion to those reading, some enjoy this whole prospect of chance, but I think skill still comes into play. With skill, as I said, no single definition, but to be 'competent' at Extinction, I would say at least 20 escapes, with one of them being solo (no relics or relics), just to say that you know what you are doing and not carried in team games.

Thanks.

slyd0g55

I'm yet to give solo an attempt, I've tried a few times after players leave and leave me on my own, but always get to a point where I get over run by the critters.

So yes with most games playing solo , you got have skill or knowledge to complete the mission or challenge , I think what the author is referring to is the players  that rely on the team but plays for his personal stats?

When it comes down to it, Skill is just being good or learning to play it better - to what the developers consider a bench mark type performance

AngryBus97

Fair enough point, but just to state, when players leave and you are the only player left, it is a lot harder since the alien spawns don't change. There are a lot less spawns in solo than co-op. Try it and see how you go! You may not escape the first time, but you'll be surprised in what you can manage. I guarantee it is a completely different experience to co-op.

slyd0g55

Yea someone online told me about that , up until then I thought how the hell do players complete this solo .

I will give it ago , I don't consider myself good but I guess after I think 70 times played games (10-15 of those I reckon I was either robbed of a game or lost connection - I try to never back out) My avg score is climbing 125000+,I don't know if that's good but I'm highest on friends list 1 of them has played 25 days! he a good guy to talk with & play of course , makes me happy (I pointed this out earlier - can make some players happy ) but yea bro I'll give it a go for sure! 

I haven't used the grenade turret yet so I'll jam that on my loadout first in co-op, - so players say, recommend for solo

Note - Due to having wrist (scaphoid) bone undergo surgery last week (5th of june) I can't try or play PS for a couple weeks

AngryBus97

Sorry to hear about that man! Hope you get better!

But yeah, the GT is a good starting point, and then it won't take long to work out strategies of your own from there! Score doesn't matter at the moment, just wait until you get used to solo and then start hitting the leaderboards (if you want to).

jmdg333

Completeting a map with 0 downs, high drill protection, and completing every challenge consistently defines skill. Just completing a mission is a skill  because youre doing what a lot of people cannot do.

philp18

escape poc solo 9 relics is skill

i saw a player the other day with 20k kills. 0 missions completed. that is skill. LOL OMG OMFG REALLY!!! I was drunk and escaped with 10 relics lol. thanks to my buds hehe haha hoho

H2Oslider24

The only true test is to play a game with someone, become obvious real quick.  Stats, lb's, relics run, etc althugh a good indicator are just eye candy..ready up and have a game- then you'll know.

DanDanielsonXx

Personally... I think that the challenge completion percentage is the easiest way to tell if someone is skilled in the game.

I had posted a thread a while back asking people what stats they think should be more easily viewed in the lobby, much like the escapes, revives, etc data that is there now. Seems like there is plenty of space for more useful stats on that screen.

What's your take on that Jon?