12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2014 12:05 PM by Izjar11 RSS

Objective modes

sennalike

I'm a supporter of people playing the game the way they want, I do. However, the number of people not playing the objective in HC Dom is beyond control. I just joined a typical match, my team had one player with one cap, the rest had none, and the enemy team had one player with two caps, the rest had none. The score was 50-100 to the enemy and spectating my team, every single player was just looking for kills with no thought to capping flags.

This is not a one off, it happens around 8/10 matches and really is just a game spoiler. So, what can be done to encourage players to play the objective? I know they introduced half points for taking half a flag but it doesn't seem to be enough. There are plenty of ideas, don't count kills and deaths towards your overall KDR, award caps and defends a higher score and/or points towards streaks. Just two thoughts. What do you think can and should be done?

• Re: Objective modes
          Bubbakush

Take away any type of K.E.M or MoB would negate some killwhoring. Other than that pure slayer players have always been in objective modes when they are on a coordinated team they can be monsters. I also blame YouTube so many young kids play CoD now and see video's of people getting 50-0 score's they try and emulate what they see and we all know what the fish in a barrel mode is. 

sennalike

I agree, taking the top streak reward out of objectives might help. But then it might make those streaks too rare. Getting a 25 streak in TDM isn't easy! I myself admit I have ignored the objective when I get on a good run of kills, it's human instinct.

WhyNoName

I think if there were respawn timers on HC Dom, you would get more people attacking the objective.  However, with no respawn delay and horrible spawns in this game, people find it easier to just pick people off and work on their K/D in HC Dom.

All I see these days are m27s with thermal and silencer.  HC Dom with that setup is pretty easy.

C_CHRIS11

There will always be players that they won't play for the objective because they play objective games that last longer and there is no limit on the kills they can get. So objective games gather players who want to capitalize on this and work on their K/D ratio.

It's not just on HC that this happens it's in Core as well.

Now days the objective is being played only by players in clans playing clan wars trying to win nodes.

The devs noticed this and they made the change that you mentioned above. When you capture an a flag or a neutral flag you are being awarded half a point. Also in KC when you capture a tag you are also awarded half a point.

I have played lots of games where I tried to play the objective my self and all I got from trying to cap flags was deaths. Now, unless I am in a lobby that there are members of a clan playing clan wars and trying to get the objectives,I never go for the cap unless I a sure that I am alone I will capture the flag before the enemy catches up with me.

In BO2 the streaks where awarded by a score system. For a sentry gun in Ghost you need to get 7 kills. In BO2 you need to get a score of 800. And score was awarded not only for kills but also for capturing the objective. If you cap the B flag you were awarded a score of 300, if you got a kill when caping a flag you were awarded a score 300 and so on.

I my opinion what ever is done there will always be players not playing the objectives. They will play their own objectives which is their K/D ratio. We will just have to accept this.

slyd0g55
                  • Point streaks is a good start, In BO2 I liked capping while killing to boost my score towards my first streak reward.
                  • Upping the score per cap as well as a countdown timer on it so not just the enemy can neutralize the flag?
                  • Maybe if you cap 10x in a match 30-50 times you get patch/title/special camo ?

I play the objectives when required and I also hate the fact players expect me to after they notice I'm trying, "he'll get it if I run over their now I'll miss it mentality"

Rexens_View

Like what the others said above, if there was a developer focus on rewarding objective caps (like scorestreaks) instead of being only KD focused then there wouldn't be much of this nonsense.

Take away KEMs as well and you would see a totally different game.

Everyone wants to get KEMs and high KD's to show off on YouTube and boast about in lobbies so of course gameplay suffers for it. That's what happens when KD is focused on too much.

slyd0g55

Thou KEM's are a favourable streak reward, it's hard to get , I've suggested it to be a HC reward only , only because I believe it's alot harder to earn, some say it may make it more campy but it's easy to sort that issue, by communicating with team mates and tubes & nades, I reckon up the cap points, I for one am focused on my avg score when it comes to stats but that's just me. I would hate to see this mode be scrapped because of the selfish type players.

Decent emblems & titles need to be a focus on upcoming CoD's - earned , not paying for through DLC

Rexens_View

Agreed.

Micro-transactions like camos etc are BS, it completely negates the point of earning actual titles, emblems and camos.

Therefore people don't play the challenges unless they are really bored so they stick to their one or two classes the entire time and kill-whore the people actually trying to have fun and complete challenges.

RCX

In objective based games:

1) No XP for kills/assists IF YOUR TEAM DOES NOT WIN. Only XP for objectives and challenges is awarded at end of match.

Or

2) Bonus XP for winning team. 500, 750, 1000? Maybe based on the score, a multiple of your margin of victory.

And

3) Unique objective based kill streaks. Capture X number of flags (or tags, or scores in blitz; adjust number for each game mode obviously) and get a kill streak not available any other way. Maybe a team total capture kill streak too.

4) Higher level kill streaks could be 'locked' and are unlocked by achieving the objective, including defends. Like anything higher than 5 needs 2 captures, higher than 10 need 3.

Maybe option #1 would lead to more quitting as one team pulls away, but quitting is another thing that should be addressed. -5000 XP for quitting more than 30 seconds after starting/joining a game, And your QUIT RATIO should be displayed right next to your K/D.

Anyway, I think some of these ideas would help. Best is to party up with people who will play the objective, but that is not always an option.

sennalike

This is what I'm after, original thinking. Hopefully the developers try something in future games.

Izjar11

RCX wrote:

In objective based games:

1) No XP for kills/assists IF YOUR TEAM DOES NOT WIN. Only XP for objectives and challenges is awarded at end of match.

Or

2) Bonus XP for winning team. 500, 750, 1000? Maybe based on the score, a multiple of your margin of victory.

And

3) Unique objective based kill streaks. Capture X number of flags (or tags, or scores in blitz; adjust number for each game mode obviously) and get a kill streak not available any other way. Maybe a team total capture kill streak too.

4) Higher level kill streaks could be 'locked' and are unlocked by achieving the objective, including defends. Like anything higher than 5 needs 2 captures, higher than 10 need 3.

Maybe option #1 would lead to more quitting as one team pulls away, but quitting is another thing that should be addressed. -5000 XP for quitting more than 30 seconds after starting/joining a game, And your QUIT RATIO should be displayed right next to your K/D.

Anyway, I think some of these ideas would help. Best is to party up with people who will play the objective, but that is not always an option.

This is a very good answer! I like the idea of rewarding unique streaks to a capture or hold or re-capture.

Jimi Riddle

1. Do not record kills or deaths on the score sheet.

2. Do not award streak points or XP for kills.

3. Award individuals with streak points and XP for capturing objectives.

4. XP is awarded on a time held basis to all team members while you hold an objective.

5. The more objectives you hold, the quicker the XP racks up.

OUHATEME

Remove kd from objective modes and only show wl do not allow kd from objective modes to affect overall kd the only thing kd should reflect on is tdm and FFA . If they are going to show stats for each game mode show caps and defends or tags collected and defended. Drop zone time in the zone. That may take away from people trying to pad their stats for an overall higher kd.

FedFifa

That is a frustrating part of this game. It is a constant problem and if I join a game and that is the scenario, I will just go kill people and not play the objective. I actually had a guy get pissed at me during a game last week because we were losing a game, that we shouldn't have been, because he was one of 3 players who had 0 caps on the team.  I have made this statement before, you always need a kill whore on your team. If you have 0-1 cap you better have like 40+ kills and constantly putting up choppers to help the rest of your team out.

They should go back to the score streak in BO 2. People were forced to play the objective because if you didn't, you wouldn't ever get to your precious kill streak. You could easily be to your streaks by capturing two flags at the beginning and then getting a couple of kills while capping B. While someone else was waiting for guys to kill.

Some maps, due to flag location, suck and you are screwed depending on starting flag. They should also go back to the switching sides at halftime. This would also eliminate some of the camping and spawn trapping.  Take Stonehaven & Strikezone, once you get A & C, if you are a decent team the other team is stuck.   The same with containment, two flags are on the same side. If the spawns flipped at "halftime" the other team would have a chance. I think people would get re-motivated to try and cap. I find it on these maps it is more about killing than playing the objective. People instantly run to their "spot" to get their camp gear out and try to kill. I bet you will find 2-3 people per team on these maps with < 2 caps.

Izjar11

sennalike wrote:

I'm a supporter of people playing the game the way they want, I do. However, the number of people not playing the objective in HC Dom is beyond control. I just joined a typical match, my team had one player with one cap, the rest had none, and the enemy team had one player with two caps, the rest had none. The score was 50-100 to the enemy and spectating my team, every single player was just looking for kills with no thought to capping flags.

This is not a one off, it happens around 8/10 matches and really is just a game spoiler. So, what can be done to encourage players to play the objective? I know they introduced half points for taking half a flag but it doesn't seem to be enough. There are plenty of ideas, don't count kills and deaths towards your overall KDR, award caps and defends a higher score and/or points towards streaks. Just two thoughts. What do you think can and should be done?

i'll be honest with you on this one senna,

Your only bet against this is by playing with friends, only way. Unfortunately playing with randoms produces random results, this is like the rule of the game.

sennalike

It's one option, but not the only one. It has been a problem throughout CoD but it's worse in some more than others. Ghosts has it totally wrong though because there really is no incentive to play the objective other than going for the win. There are many players who only care about their KDR, not their WLR, so it makes it too easy for them. I'd like to see more restrictions in objective modes, like only getting streaks for playing the objective, no stats recorded unless related to playing the objective, and slightly off topic, but for some modes have restricted weapon and perk choice. Just my view, but I think being a little more imaginative would be a good thing.

Izjar11

sennalike wrote:

It's one option, but not the only one. It has been a problem throughout CoD but it's worse in some more than others. Ghosts has it totally wrong though because there really is no incentive to play the objective other than going for the win. There are many players who only care about their KDR, not their WLR, so it makes it too easy for them. I'd like to see more restrictions in objective modes, like only getting streaks for playing the objective, no stats recorded unless related to playing the objective, and slightly off topic, but for some modes have restricted weapon and perk choice. Just my view, but I think being a little more imaginative would be a good thing.

Agree 100% with this,

RCX has some very nice ideas on how to improve it.